daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2014, 07:14 AM   #3661
LO 044

Likes (Received): 5

^Do you guys not think that LO should get out of Star Alliance? The threesome of AC, UA and LH have the Trans-Atlantic market sown up. LO has removed many of it's flights to Germany to stop feeding LH and of course LH has upped it's flights to cities in Poland i don't even think should have an airport. LH is pretty much hoping LO goes bankrupt and they pick up the spoils. I think LO and WS could easily partner up at YYZ.
LO 044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:25 AM   #3662
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
^Do you guys not think that LO should get out of Star Alliance? The threesome of AC, UA and LH have the Trans-Atlantic market sown up. LO has removed many of it's flights to Germany to stop feeding LH and of course LH has upped it's flights to cities in Poland i don't even think should have an airport. LH is pretty much hoping LO goes bankrupt and they pick up the spoils. I think LO and WS could easily partner up at YYZ.

I am afraid the damage is already done... LO caters to the local Polish community and some eastern European markets. I am not sure how much help they get from AC because LO gets the local market on its own. It is a huge catchment area around Toronto. The issue is that many local Poles are okay with one stop connection, that along saving $100-$300 per each trip. Than you have those die hard LOT fans that would pay up to fly LO. Sure, I understand that, but lets say you are going to fly into Krakow or some smaller city, it won't make any difference whether or not you fly LOT or LH. You will have to connect somewhere one way or the other. That's where LO can't get their game going to compete against greedy LH. That is how I see it.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:25 PM   #3663
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
I am afraid the damage is already done... LO caters to the local Polish community and some eastern European markets. I am not sure how much help they get from AC because LO gets the local market on its own. It is a huge catchment area around Toronto. The issue is that many local Poles are okay with one stop connection, that along saving $100-$300 per each trip. Than you have those die hard LOT fans that would pay up to fly LO. Sure, I understand that, but lets say you are going to fly into Krakow or some smaller city, it won't make any difference whether or not you fly LOT or LH. You will have to connect somewhere one way or the other. That's where LO can't get their game going to compete against greedy LH. That is how I see it.
Actually, the amount of central/eastern Europeans using LOT to fly home has grown significantly. Most of the plane is usually Romanians, Bulgarians, Serbs, Ukrainians, Czechs, Slovaks but also Georgians and Armenians. Last few times I flew I heard many languages other than Polish on board. On top of that, since now they have 9 flights a week WAW YYZ there must be demand. Few years back they only had 2 in the winter season and 5 during the summer. Now I believe its 4 or 5 in the winter season and 9 summer.
J@nek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:31 AM   #3664
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Actually, the amount of central/eastern Europeans using LOT to fly home has grown significantly. Most of the plane is usually Romanians, Bulgarians, Serbs, Ukrainians, Czechs, Slovaks but also Georgians and Armenians. Last few times I flew I heard many languages other than Polish on board. On top of that, since now they have 9 flights a week WAW YYZ there must be demand. Few years back they only had 2 in the winter season and 5 during the summer. Now I believe its 4 or 5 in the winter season and 9 summer.
That is very true, and I heard the same from our Serbian forum. I was speaking about LO going against LH in their local Polish market such as Krakow, Katowice, Rezrow and so on.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 06:32 AM   #3665
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
The U.A.E's Foreign Minister has been on a cross Canada tour this week, and is in Toronto today...he arrived on a UAE Government 777, registration A6-ALN, which is currently parked at the north end of YYZ....

Tonight they issued a joint statement which covered a lot of issues, but nothing definite about a revised airline bilateral....this is all they say:

http://www.international.gc.ca/media....aspx?lang=eng

Hopefully they will announce a revised agreement before we are all senior citizens in a nursing home...

www.airliners.net
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:45 AM   #3666
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

I think yield is a very important aspect in deploying whether it is worth deploying a huge A380 with large J and F classes to fill. The economics quickly fail when they oversell Y and upgrade these cheap tickets into an empty premium cabin.

No matter what new or old widebody you take, Y is a crappy place to be for a long flight.
You hit the nail on the head with that one!

I think it all comes down to the trade. You need to have strong trade to keep the corporate traffic going to fill the premium seats. I view Asia as the continent where the future is. If you look at the top notch Japanese car brands, you can see that they are pounding Europeans big time. Whenever I am on the street, I see eight Asian automobiles out of ten on an average day. The reality will kick in sooner or later... Than, there is mighty China...Haha
Old July 22nd, 2014, 01:55 PM   #3667
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

You do realise how successful German car producers have been in the last couple of years? Of course you don't.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:49 PM   #3668
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
You do realise how successful German car producers have been in the last couple of years? Of course you don't.
It comes down to price. High quality, reliable, good gas consumption and fair price is a trademark of Japanese cars.

I'd love a German car.. When I can afford it.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:51 PM   #3669
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
That is very true, and I heard the same from our Serbian forum. I was speaking about LO going against LH in their local Polish market such as Krakow, Katowice, Rezrow and so on.
My family is flying LOT to Belgrade.

I tried the same routing (would love to fly the 787) in September, but the transit from Belgrade to Toronto is 20h in Warsaw. I'm not sure what happened there. I kept switching dates and it's the same thing.

I'm flying Lufty there and Austrian back. Much happier as these are high quality airlines.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:30 AM   #3670
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
My family is flying LOT to Belgrade.

I tried the same routing (would love to fly the 787) in September, but the transit from Belgrade to Toronto is 20h in Warsaw. I'm not sure what happened there. I kept switching dates and it's the same thing.

I'm flying Lufty there and Austrian back. Much happier as these are high quality airlines.
Sounds like a glitch.... The late evening flight coming into YYZ from WAW should make the both segments way under 20 hours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post

The same can be said for the Japanese.. They came the long way.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:45 PM   #3671
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Interesting Information and YYZ is 28th globally based on Seat availability for International Travel.

http://www.oag.com/top-100-airports-...untry=Continue

Ranking

Departure Airport Code

Departure Airport Name

Total Number of Seats

DXB

Dubai International

LHR

London Heathrow Apt

HKG

Hong Kong International Apt

CDG

Paris Charles de Gaulle Apt

FRA

Frankfurt International Apt

SIN

Singapore Changi Apt

AMS

Amsterdam

ICN

Seoul Incheon International Airport

IST

Istanbul Ataturk Airport

KUL

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

LGW

London Gatwick Apt

BKK

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Apt

TPE

Taipei Taiwan Taoyuan International Apt

MUC

Munich International Airport

JFK

New York J F Kennedy International Apt

FCO

Rome Fiumicino Apt

BCN

Barcelona Apt

MAD

Madrid Adolfo Suarez-Barajas Apt

NRT

Tokyo Narita Intl

DOH

Doha

PVG

Shanghai Pudong International Apt

PMI

Palma de Mallorca

ZRH

Zurich Airport

VIE

Vienna International

BRU

Brussels Airport

CPH

Copenhagen Kastrup Apt

DUB

Dublin

YYZ

Lester B Pearson Intl

PEK

Beijing Capital Intl Apt

MAN

Manchester (GB)

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #3672
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Interesting list. I've brought this up before, but I feel like European airports (specifically EU airports) try to suck and blow at the same time. You can travel passport-free within the vast majority, if not all of the top 20 Euro airports yet they probably count those passengers as international pax. Bugs me a bit.

No surprise with DXB or SIN. There is virtually no domestic base, so by definition it will be exclusively international passengers.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:01 PM   #3673
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Interesting list. I've brought this up before, but I feel like European airports (specifically EU airports) try to suck and blow at the same time. You can travel passport-free within the vast majority, if not all of the top 20 Euro airports yet they probably count those passengers as international pax. Bugs me a bit.

No surprise with DXB or SIN. There is virtually no domestic base, so by definition it will be exclusively international passengers.
I don't think the YYZ numbers include cross-border do they?

For the purpose of this analysis, it's not comparing apples to apples. CB should be included.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:33 PM   #3674
CGKTS

Likes (Received): 1

I've been following this forum for some time and this is my first post, I would like to ask if anyone has additional information about the possible increase in allotted frequencies in the Canada-UAE bilateral? Users have mentioned 14 weekly and even 24 weekly but I was wondering if any news came up.
CGKTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #3675
Toronto_41

Canada - UAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGKTS View Post
I've been following this forum for some time and this is my first post, I would like to ask if anyone has additional information about the possible increase in allotted frequencies in the Canada-UAE bilateral? Users have mentioned 14 weekly and even 24 weekly but I was wondering if any news came up.
No news yet to the public. I would bet is has already been sorted.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #3676
CGKTS

Likes (Received): 1

Ah ok, hopefully they will be able to get the frequency increases they want. In other news, I remember reading an article recently about Air China stating that they are now looking at a PEK-YUL route with no mention of launching PEK or PVG to YYZ. Does this mean the end to their plans to serve Toronto? I hope not.
CGKTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #3677
Toronto_41

Hainan retains daily 787 ops to YYZ for Winter.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/07/25/hu-yyz-w14update2/

Update at 0820GMT 25JUL14

Hainan Airlines in Winter 2014/15 season is increasing operations on Beijing – Toronto route, where it’ll continue to operate daily service, on board Boeing 787-8 aircraft. Planned schedule as follow.

HU7975 PEK1355 – 1410YYZ 787 D
HU7976 YYZ1620 – 1850+1PEK 787 D

Winter 2014/15 season begins from 26OCT14.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #3678
Toronto_41

Air China

Quote:
Ah ok, hopefully they will be able to get the frequency increases they want. In other news, I remember reading an article recently about Air China stating that they are now looking at a PEK-YUL route with no mention of launching PEK or PVG to YYZ. Does this mean the end to their plans to serve Toronto? I hope not.
To be frank, Air China has had on their books plans to operate to YYZ for sometime. Whether or not it materializes, we shall see but they did operate quite a few years ago. I remember seeing the flight once in a while.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #3679
ACT7

Quote:
I don't ever remember reading Air China having plans for YUL. Either way, I'm pretty sure YYZ would happen long before YUL.
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #3680
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
I don't think the YYZ numbers include cross-border do they?

For the purpose of this analysis, it's not comparing apples to apples. CB should be included.
It does include cross-border for sure. YVR is showing higher than YUL which wouldn't be the case if cross-border wasn't included. Also, even for YYZ, it's listed as second in NA, which, without cross-border would put it at 3rd or 4th.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto