daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #3741
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
True, but Canada has been the most vocal of the countries you've mentioned, and imposed the toughest sanctions from what I can tell. I'm not saying Canada isn't right in doing so, but there are side effects of such actions and I find the timing of two unrelated Russian carriers pulling out at virtually the same time just a bit suspicious and not at all related to yield or load factors.
I don't see the purpose of such an action. It won't deter traffic between Canada and Russia: people will simply transfer in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, or Paris. And inbound Russian tourism isn't entirely important to Canada. Putin micromanages but I don't think he's *that* micromanaging.

If Putin really wanted to retaliate against Canada he'd deny Air Canada overflight rights to Asia, while simultaneously allowing Air China and Korean Air. AC is then forced to drop its most lucrative long-haul routes
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #3742
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

In an economic chess game between the OECD vs. Russia, I don't like Russia's prospects. Russia has far more to lose and Putin knows it. We've only started to tighten the screws and capital is already streaming out of Russia.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #3743
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

One Never Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In an economic chess game between the OECD vs. Russia, I don't like Russia's prospects. Russia has far more to lose and Putin knows it. We've only started to tighten the screws and capital is already streaming out of Russia.
In this day and age with all of the inter connected governments, bear in mind that most of this is posturing. I would bet that both the CPPIB and PSP (both Cda Gvt) have holdings in Russia or some sort of connections. The exposure is greater than everyone thinks. These companies are basically arms length of the government and are managing the investments. So in a nutshell, we all have something to loose one way or the other.

More so that Europe has a lot more to loose becasue their gas is coming from Russia and much of their oil also. It is no wonder that the Oil Sands has been removed from the list of Dirtiest Oil and you can rest assured that they want and need the imports.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #3744
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Lufthansa Changes for Summer 15

http://airlineroute.net/2014/10/09/lh-s15update1/

Lufthansa today (09OCT14) adjusted its Long-Haul Summer 2015 operations, from 29MAR15. In Summer 2015, Lufthansa gradually introduces Premium Economy Class service throughout majority of its long-haul fleet, while reducing number of seats offered in First and Business Class.

Further changes remain possible.

First Class service is cancelled on following Boeing 747-400 routes, operating as 2-class C67M322 configuration (C67M304 from 26JUN15). Premium Economy (C67E32M272) begins from 12AUG15:

eff 29MAR15 Frankfurt – Toronto

Following A330-300 Service will see configuration change from F8C48M161 to F8C36M193, from 01MAY15:

Munich – Toronto

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #3745
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In an economic chess game between anyone and Russia, I would put money on whomever is furthest from them.

A Russia with nothing to lose is extremely dangerous, but barring that, it is the country with the most natural wealth on this planet. Siberia and their arctic circle probably has the remainder of the world's fossil fuel wealth - and it's all undiscovered! This little placating Ukrainians game that Harper is playing is stupid. Canadian companies have invested significantly in Russia and if these sanctions continue, their assets will be nationalized. I know this for a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Lufthansa Changes for Summer 15

http://airlineroute.net/2014/10/09/lh-s15update1/

Lufthansa today (09OCT14) adjusted its Long-Haul Summer 2015 operations, from 29MAR15. In Summer 2015, Lufthansa gradually introduces Premium Economy Class service throughout majority of its long-haul fleet, while reducing number of seats offered in First and Business Class.

Further changes remain possible.

First Class service is cancelled on following Boeing 747-400 routes, operating as 2-class C67M322 configuration (C67M304 from 26JUN15). Premium Economy (C67E32M272) begins from 12AUG15:

eff 29MAR15 Frankfurt – Toronto

Following A330-300 Service will see configuration change from F8C48M161 to F8C36M193, from 01MAY15:

Munich – Toronto
Never flying LH again. Their 744 Toronto-Frankfurt was the most unpleasant flight of my life. 10-across seating (my friend and I had our legs intertwined because there was no room beneath the seat due to some metal box), screaming babies everywhere, people bringing 5+ pieces of carry on and no room in the bins above, shitty IFE system (you basically had to bash the screen to make a selection), etc etc... OS on the way back was far better.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #3746
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
In an economic chess game between anyone and Russia, I would put money on whomever is furthest from them.

A Russia with nothing to lose is extremely dangerous, but barring that, it is the country with the most natural wealth on this planet. Siberia and their arctic circle probably has the remainder of the world's fossil fuel wealth - and it's all undiscovered! This little placating Ukrainians game that Harper is playing is stupid. Canadian companies have invested significantly in Russia and if these sanctions continue, their assets will be nationalized. I know this for a fact.

Never flying LH again. Their 744 Toronto-Frankfurt was the most unpleasant flight of my life. 10-across seating (my friend and I had our legs intertwined because there was no room beneath the seat due to some metal box), screaming babies everywhere, people bringing 5+ pieces of carry on and no room in the bins above, shitty IFE system (you basically had to bash the screen to make a selection), etc etc... OS on the way back was far better.
I was going to warn you earlier about it, but I did not want to bring in the politics. I try to avoid LH/OS for the political reasons. Both of their "peace keeping" (Austrian and German) soldiers try to scare our people in the Southern Serbia so that radical terrorists could take away their land. You can find the clips in our forum.

That's why last year my family flew TK. My family almost booked with LH/OS, but I derailed the plans when I pushed to fly comfort class with TK, and offered to pay for all of us. After all, lets embrace some love with the Turks because them and us are NOT welcome in so called "European union"... haha.
After all, if you are not a fanatic like me and don't wanna pay up, just fly coach with TK, they will beat the price and service anyways.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #3747
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
I was going to warn you earlier about it, but I did not want to bring in the politics. I try to avoid LH/OS for the political reasons. Both of their "peace keeping" (Austrian and German) soldiers try to scare our people in the Southern Serbia so that radical terrorists could take away their land. You can find the clips in our forum.

That's why last year my family flew TK. My family almost booked with LH/OS, but I derailed the plans when I pushed to fly comfort class with TK, and offered to pay for all of us. After all, lets embrace some love with the Turks because them and us are NOT welcome in so called "European union"... haha.
After all, if you are not a fanatic like me and don't wanna pay up, just fly coach with TK, they will beat the price and service anyways.
I didn't know that there is some politicking into airline preferences... And how's the experience with TK compared to LH? Plus, is the transit time between flights (especially to Serbia) sufficient for you?

And by the way, is flying via Istanbul a bit longer than flying via Frankfurt or Munich? And would you also fly either KLM, Air France, or British Airways to get to Serbia too?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #3748
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I didn't know that there is some politicking into airline preferences... And how's the experience with TK compared to LH? Plus, is the transit time between flights (especially to Serbia) sufficient for you?

And by the way, is flying via Istanbul a bit longer than flying via Frankfurt or Munich? And would you also fly either KLM, Air France, or British Airways to get to Serbia too?
Hmm some very good questions Anthony. I only flew LH back in the day when my folks moved to Canada. It was back in the day, and I slept like a baby. I never had a chance to fly them again. Judging by what they used fly to YYZ, such as older A340-300, I do not think the service was any good. I would say an average at the best.

Now to answer your second question. When Yugoslavia fell a part, and old good JU halted their service, Austrians and Germans started charging insane airfares to that region based on the monopoly. So the Turks saw an opportunity to snag some profits. So lets say you want to go see your grandpa, so you gotta fork out $2000 (realistic price) to fly there. For that kind of cash TK offered their comfort class, and for $1500 their coach class. That action let them to snag some passengers from LH/OS. So you see the point. If you are paying big bucks, better get the value. As for the flying time, if you are in the comfort class, one or two extra hours of flying time will be like walk in a park. That is why I wanted to test it and see it for myselt. I also spoke to some passengers in the coach, and they were very happy. That's the main reason why I took that flight. I just wanted to smell the fresh B773ER, and see what kind of people fly with them, and try something new.
Old October 13th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #3749
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Aha... good point! But, the more important question remains: are the transit times in Istanbul sufficient for your journeys between Belgrade and Toronto? I mean, you will definitely need to change planes in Ataturk... but, I was wondering how many hours did you have to switch flights?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #3750
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Aha... good point! But, the more important question remains: are the transit times in Istanbul sufficient for your journeys between Belgrade and Toronto? I mean, you will definitely need to change planes in Ataturk... but, I was wondering how many hours did you have to switch flights?

Yes, they used to fly three times a day, but they had to dedicate one slot to new JU in order to maintain such presence in Belgrade. The connection is very quick, so I would not worry about it.

Also I flew AF-KLM, AZ and I had very good experience. Alitalia will always have a special place in my soul. On two occasions the aircraft went tech, so they offered 600 euros voucher on their end. That is enough to fly to BEG in the off season, and have some wine and dinner on the Danube.
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:11 AM   #3751
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

And by the way, this aircraft went to Toronto for the first time last 20 September...

Saudia B777-200ER, "Skyteam signature livery" (reg. HZ-AKA)

Old October 13th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #3752
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Btw are you keeping an eye on PAL and their progress? I just had two of my Filipino friends return from their old country. One of them got lucky and got upgraded to the front cabin. He was very eager to fly CX, but I told him to give PAL a chance, and he is happy that he did. I think the loads are there for sure, but lets see if the numbers stack up.
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #3753
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Luckily, I do. PAL will reopen its Manila-New York link, which will operate...

- Via Vancouver
- To and from New York-JFK (before, it was Newark)
- 4x weekly
- On board an A340-300
- Starting 15 March 2015

Details here

Schedule:

PR126 MNL2350 - 2050YVR2250 - 0700+1JFK x135
PR125 JFK1100 - 1350YVR1520 - 2035+1MNL x246

I only wish the return flight will be adjusted to arrive at around 0400+2 Manila time so that it can connect to even more domestic and international flights.

As for Toronto, the current routing via YVR and B77W aircraft will be maintained.

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; October 13th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #3754
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
I don't see the purpose of such an action. It won't deter traffic between Canada and Russia: people will simply transfer in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, or Paris. And inbound Russian tourism isn't entirely important to Canada. Putin micromanages but I don't think he's *that* micromanaging.

If Putin really wanted to retaliate against Canada he'd deny Air Canada overflight rights to Asia, while simultaneously allowing Air China and Korean Air. AC is then forced to drop its most lucrative long-haul routes

The trade between Russia and Asia is there to grow, so it will be deployed to some Asian/Chinese city. After all, it would take them three to five years to develop the route, so they were just testing the waters in YYZ. As for the sanctions, I would wait and look on my own before being fed with the usual propaganda. They have a dozen of airports with the rail link, but how many do we have in Canada?
As for the Russia-Canada traffic, there may be the demand, but there is also one stop competition.
Old October 13th, 2014, 10:20 AM   #3755
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Can PR sustain such rapid growth at YVR? Its tag-on to Toronto means low load factors on the domestic leg. The yield on the fifth-freedom right to JFK can't be very good. Load factor will be high given the massive diaspora, but the airline's yields are what truly matter.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #3756
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Well, the thing with PR is that it wants to use up the available slots for PH-Canada ops since Air Canada is not yet interested in mounting a nonstop service to Manila, and that since the Philippines has regained its Category 1 status from the FAA, Philippine Airlines wants to restore its long-lost connections in the eastern half of North America. It starts with the resumption of Manila-New York service (via Vancouver, which will compete against CX), and I think it may be a sustainable service, especially that passengers traveling via Vancouver could continue on to places other than the US (remember the issue regarding transit visas?).

Old October 13th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #3757
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post

My grandma had a bad experience flying TK to Istanbul. I'm eagerly waiting to see if Air Serbia does launch YYZ. If so, I'll never complain again. You can stick me in a cattle car as long as it's direct.
Old October 13th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #3758
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

But, are there any airlines nowadays that treat you better in coach than being like in a cattle car? I mean, with a 3-4-3 seating config found in many carriers, yeah, it can be claustrophobic... are there carriers operating to YYZ that have seating configs other than 3-4-3?

Old October 14th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #3759
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
But, are there any airlines nowadays that treat you better in coach than being like in a cattle car? I mean, with a 3-4-3 seating config found in many carriers, yeah, it can be claustrophobic... are there carriers operating to YYZ that have seating configs other than 3-4-3?
Trick is to fly an older jet (767s are very comfortable).

It's a bit disingenuous from airlines that they don't tell you what kind of cabin will be available when booking flights. If they want me to upgrade to premium economy (which I am open to) then let me know when my flight is cattle car!

metroboi_nay liked this post
Old October 14th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #3760
metroboi_nay

Likes (Received): 0

^ One of the reasons why I love the 767s, 2x2 on the sides. Also, some 777s 4 or so rows are 2x2 at the back (hard to get sometimes though). Air Transat's A330-300 is 2x4x2, I don't know what routes it takes, but i'm assuming EU.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto