daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #3781
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Currently access to YTZ is only via ferry. A pedestrian tunnel is currently under-construction. I am not sure when this tunnel will be open to the public.
And I recall in a previous discussion that it is a free service, yes? But, where can I catch the ferry from Downtown Toronto? And is it operational 24/7?

Another aircraft you might wanna look out for in YYZ...

American Airlines A319 (WL) (reg. N9002U)

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #3782
ToroTO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
And I recall in a previous discussion that it is a free service, yes? But, where can I catch the ferry from Downtown Toronto? And is it operational 24/7?
Yes it is free, more info can be found here:

http://www.torontoport.com/Airport/G...-Schedule.aspx
ToroTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #3783
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Yes, it's free along with the shuttle bus from the Union Station area. Most people looking for the ferry, unknowingly head for the main Jack Layton Ferry Terminal which serves the Toronto Islands. YTZ is fenced off from the rest of the Islands as the runways cut off direct access to the terminal. There is a dedicated ferry (supposedly shortest scheduled ferry ride in the world at about a minute, 90 seconds if you count the undocking and docking procedures which leaves from the foot of Bathurst St. (or Eireann Quay as it now officially known).

Even with the tunnel, the ferry is still required to bring vehicles over to the airport. Passengers ride in the upper level of the ferry and the ferry terminals on either side are built to accommodate that setup.

The airport itself isn't a 24 hour operation due to flight curfews from the neighbouring condos. Most hospitals have facilities now to accommodate emergency medivacs. I suppose if one of the larger Ornge (yes without the A) flights needed to use YTZ they could press the ferry into emergency service.

I came back on one of Porter's last flights for the day. The departure lounge had already shut down and I could see airport staff and various pilots riding back on the ferry.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #3784
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

From YYZ...

Air Canada Express Dash-8-100 (reg. C-FGRM)

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #3785
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

What are the chances for Etihad to send an A380 to YYZ as a sub? The direct flight to YYZ seems very pricey due to the limited landing rights. I have been told they have been overbooking quite a lot.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #3786
rinathq
Eternal Dream

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
What are the chances for Etihad to send an A380 to YYZ as a sub? The direct flight to YYZ seems very pricey due to the limited landing rights. I have been told they have been overbooking quite a lot.
probably not for a while. While their demand for Y class is quite high, the 380 service would require a lot of J and C class passengers in order to be considered. EK sends their 380 because they have too damm many of them. EY would rather use their 380 on other routes like JFK, LAX, HKG, SYD or LHR first. Its the same reason why LH does not send their 748 to Toronto. Not enough J or C class pax to become profitable.
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #3787
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

But Toronto is Canada's largest city and main financial hub... I don't know then how to make those J and C seats fill up to warrant an A380 service since it is a major city in North America.

Old November 17th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #3788
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Apparently the world's only operational AN225 landed at YYZ this morning - the largest cargo plane in the world... although we have seen many AN124s over the years, this is the first ever visit of an AN225 at YYZ. It has 6 engines, and registration is UR-82060... it is supposed to be at YYZ until Wednesday morning, and is parked in the infield...

here's a pic from another airport...

Old November 18th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #3789
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
EY sending their A388 is dependent on whether the Canada-UAE bilateral is confirmed. I expected it to have been announced already, not sure what the hold up is. IF as expected UAE is given 14x weekly to YYZ, I expect EY will utilize the B77W, while EK will continue with the A388.

However if the bilateral is delayed measurably and EY has taken delivery of enough A388 frames then you could definitely see it at YYZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq View Post
probably not for a while. While their demand for Y class is quite high, the 380 service would require a lot of J and C class passengers in order to be considered. EK sends their 380 because they have too damm many of them. EY would rather use their 380 on other routes like JFK, LAX, HKG, SYD or LHR first. Its the same reason why LH does not send their 748 to Toronto. Not enough J or C class pax to become profitable.
Quote:
But Toronto is Canada's largest city and main financial hub... I don't know then how to make those J and C seats fill up to warrant an A380 service since it is a major city in North America.
YYZ is actually an above average market for J but below average in C across all international destinations. I have first hand information re:EK. their J class on YYZ route was mostly filled with paying customers (non-upgrade).
Old November 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #3790
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Apparently the world's only operational AN225 landed at YYZ this morning - the largest cargo plane in the world... although we have seen many AN124s over the years, this is the first ever visit of an AN225 at YYZ. It has 6 engines, and registration is UR-82060... it is supposed to be at YYZ until Wednesday morning, and is parked in the infield...

here's a pic from another airport...
sweet... shame the weather was terrible yesterday.
Old November 30th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #3791
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Here's something I just saw... from YYZ:

Aer Lingus B757-200 (reg. EI-LBS)

Old December 1st, 2014, 04:27 AM   #3792
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
sweet... shame the weather was terrible yesterday.
That's is what I had on my mind as well.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #3793
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

AC Launching YYZ-DEL nonstop in Nov 2015 - with 787-900s...

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=835
Old December 4th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #3794
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I would be curious to see how Air Canada will compete with Emirates/Ethiad/Qatar on that route. If I remember correctly Air Canada used to fly the Toronto-Delhi route but it got cancelled.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #3795
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Actually, Air Canada will resume service to India, operating the same route as you mentioned, from 1 November 2015. In fact, it will be operated with either the B787-8 or B787-9, and the airline announced that Delhi will be the first route to be operated with the latter aircraft. AC will operate the route 4x weekly. Proposed schedule:

AC050 YYZ2055 – 2115+1DEL 788 1
AC050 YYZ2055 – 2115+1DEL 789 357

AC051 DEL0045 – 0500YYZ 788 3
AC051 DEL0045 – 0500YYZ 789 247

The airline said it will open reservations for the route by 9 December 2014.

Source

Old December 4th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #3796
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
AC Launching YYZ-DEL nonstop in Nov 2015 - with 787-900s...

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=835
Great to see AC back in India!
However, I would have preferred to see a YYZ-BOM flight to be honest.
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #3797
collectormelon

Likes (Received): 90

Agree.. YYZ - BOM would have been wonderful.. But AC could still tap into a huge market (pan-india) from DEL now that they can codeshare with AI on domestic routes.
collectormelon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #3798
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I would be curious to see how Air Canada will compete with Emirates/Ethiad/Qatar on that route. If I remember correctly Air Canada used to fly the Toronto-Delhi route but it got cancelled.
Its advantage might lie with its connections across North America, especially cities without UAE/Qatar flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectormelon View Post
Agree.. YYZ - BOM would have been wonderful.. But AC could still tap into a huge market (pan-india) from DEL now that they can codeshare with AI on domestic routes.
Maybe, but would AC be willing to hurt its brand given AI's rather sketchy image?
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #3799
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Quote:
Actually, Air Canada will resume service to India, operating the same route as you mentioned, from 1 November 2015. In fact, it will be operated with either the B787-8 or B787-9, and the airline announced that Delhi will be the first route to be operated with the latter aircraft. AC will operate the route 4x weekly. Proposed schedule:

AC050 YYZ2055 – 2115+1DEL 788 1
AC050 YYZ2055 – 2115+1DEL 789 357

AC051 DEL0045 – 0500YYZ 788 3
AC051 DEL0045 – 0500YYZ 789 247

The airline said it will open reservations for the route by 9 December 2014.

Source
I thought historically this is a seasonal service as there is not enough demand during the monsoon season to sustain this flight?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #3800
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Air Canada A330-300 (reg. C-GFUR)

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto