daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2015, 09:05 AM   #3861
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Hainan had a wishlist for YUL, but nothing official was ever confirmed. By contrast, Xinhua confirmed CA will start PEK-YUL-HAV from September without specifying whether fifth freedom was granted. I'm inclined to believe Xinhua over a blog post with no source.

Hopefully China's One Airline Policy will be cancelled soon. It serves no purpose given the sheer size of the travel market.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #3862
CGKTS

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Hainan had a wishlist for YUL, but nothing official was ever confirmed.
According to page 9 of the following publication, HU has prepared an application to launch service to YUL so I don't think it's still a wish list route, but rather a candidate for service pending Air China's confirmation.

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/port...G_20141021.PDF
CGKTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #3863
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq View Post
They will operate with their 330 regularly until summer. They occasionally send their 77Ws to YYZ these days

Cool cool. I have been keeping an eye because I am thinking to swing and take some photos. I am eager to see how my L lens performs in some cold weather.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #3864
urbanfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGKTS View Post
According to page 9 of the following publication, HU has prepared an application to launch service to YUL so I don't think it's still a wish list route, but rather a candidate for service pending Air China's confirmation.

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/port...G_20141021.PDF
In any case, HU will not be serving YUL any time soon, and certainly not before the One Airline Policy is abolished. Xinhua is the mouthpiece of the Chinese government, which also controls Air China. Its announcement is therefore as good as law.
Old January 24th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #3865
CGKTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
In any case, HU will not be serving YUL any time soon, and certainly not before the One Airline Policy is abolished. Xinhua is the mouthpiece of the Chinese government, which also controls Air China. Its announcement is therefore as good as law.
Even if the one airline policy is removed, I'd have a hard time believing that YUL-PEK can support 2 carriers. However, is it possible for you to provide a link to Xinhua's confirmation of the service? I can't seem to find it through searching.
Old January 24th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #3866
urbanfan89

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ch..._133910034.htm

Quote:
BEIJING, Jan. 10 (Xinhua) -- China will launch its first direct air route to the Caribbean on Sept. 28, according to an announcement by Air China.

Operated by Air China three times a week, the new route will fly from Beijing to Havana, with a stop to refuel in Montreal, marking a huge cut in travel time between China and the Caribbean.

Famous for their beautiful beaches, Caribbean countries have attracted more Chinese visitors in recent years. However, the long distance has forced Chinese travelers to transfer in Europe or Canada.

In 2013, the number of Chinese visitors to Cuba surpassed 22,200, up 18 percent compared with the previous year.
My gut feeling is the majority of these 22,200 Chinese visitors are actually either students or PR in Canada, and few of them actually flew from China.
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #3867
CGKTS

Skygreece Airlines has gotten approval to fly between Canada and Europe. More details will follow. Will this mean that the rumoured Zagreb-Toronto route will be announced soon, along with maybe an Athens-Toronto route? Maybe Montreal as well since it was mentioned as an expected destination.

If they do fly to Canada from Athens, I don't see them lasting long considering the competition from Air Canada Rouge and Air Transat, however I do wish them the best of luck and hope to see Skygreece here in 2015!

http://www.travelweek.ca/news/skygre...canada-europe/

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #3868
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Maybe it should start with Zagreb-Toronto, follow by a few other destinations from Eastern Europe that are unique with the airline. That way, it can generate good revenues from each route while studying how to compete with other carriers (like LOT, Air Transat, and Air Canada Rouge).

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #3869
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Maybe it should start with Zagreb-Toronto, follow by a few other destinations from Eastern Europe that are unique with the airline. That way, it can generate good revenues from each route while studying how to compete with other carriers (like LOT, Air Transat, and Air Canada Rouge).
Zagreb was the planned first route. I posted that a while back but I can't find (or am too lazy to find) the post. To be honest, whether it's Athens or Zagreb first or second or whatever, I don't see this airline lasting too long. Hope I'm dead wrong though...
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #3870
ACT7

Could someone help me understand something about AC's DXB flights? My understanding is that they are partnering with EY on these flights. Is that just a simple code-share or an actual 'connecting airline partner'? Because if this is about using EY to make onward connections then this makes no sense at all and I'm afraid that this flight is doomed to fail from the beginning. EY doesn't fly into DXB so to connect from DXB through AUH you would have to take the EY bus from Dubai to Abu Dhabi. Who in their right mind would do this, especially with AC flying on the same days that EY already flies out of YYZ. I'm sure I'm missing something but this is what I seem to reading and hearing.
Old January 29th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #3871
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I suspect that Air Canada are primarily going after the sizable business/leisure/VFR traffic between Canada and Dubai, in the same way that United and Delta have launched nonstop flights between the US and Dubai, mainly attracting O&D traffic.

Anyways Ethiad already flies to Toronto so it would probably make more sense for Air Canada to code share with them on that route since there is less demand for flights to Abu Dhabi as opposed to Dubai.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #3872
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I suspect that Air Canada are primarily going after the sizable business/leisure/VFR traffic between Canada and Dubai, in the same way that United and Delta have launched nonstop flights between the US and Dubai, mainly attracting O&D traffic.

Anyways Ethiad already flies to Toronto so it would probably make more sense for Air Canada to code share with them on that route since there is less demand for flights to Abu Dhabi as opposed to Dubai.
So if they're code sharing that makes sense, but usually a code share implies that one of the code share partners would be handling an onward connection. If that's the case, then how does EY handle that from DXB? Just seems odd to me on the surface, unless I'm not understanding something.
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #3873
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I don't think they have a chance of snagging any traffic with one weekly rotation. Skyservice tried and had no luck. Keep in mind that they were very reputable tour operator over skyGreece.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:04 PM   #3874
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Ukraine International will be returning to YYZ this summer....

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...da-this-summer
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:09 PM   #3875
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

SkyGreece have announced ATH-YYZ via their facebook page...

Looks like they will operate 3 x's weekly ATH-YYZ effective May 17, possible separate flight to Thessaloniki, as well as previously announced ZAG-YYZ...

"For immediate release

SkyGreece Airlines S.A. will offer year round service to Athens starting May 17 and a seasonal direct flight to Thessaloniki starting May 20.

SkyGreece Airlines is extremely happy to announce its new and exciting program to Greece. Starting Sunday May 17, SkyGreece will offer 3 weekly flights from Toronto to Athens and a weekly departure to Thessaloniki starting Wednesday May 20, 2015.

And the beat goes on with 2 weekly flights to Athens from November to April 2016.

We have listened to the continuous demand of the Greek community in Canada and in Greece and decided to develop our flight schedule to meet the demand.

SkyGreece will also offer a weekly departure from Montreal starting Saturday May 23, 2015.

There is a New Spirit in the Air with the arrival of SkyGreece in Canada and Canadian travelers will finally have an alternative to discover Europe with a touch of the renowned Greek hospitality.

More great news about SkyGreece Airlines S.A. and its new and exciting flight program will be unveiled in the next few days."

https://www.facebook.com/SkyGreeceAirlines

Opa!
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:08 PM   #3876
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Air Canada B787-8 (reg. C-GHPX)

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #3877
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I just noticed that AC is ending Lima, and switching it to AC rouge. Looks like the yields were not there...
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #3878
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

When is 2014 PAX data released for Pearson? I'm guessing it hit 38 million?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #3879
abrandao
Paris, France.

Likes (Received): 3833

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
When is 2014 PAX data released for Pearson? I'm guessing it hit 38 million?
By the way, how many passengers did YYZ handle in 2013?
abrandao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #3880
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandao View Post
By the way, how many passengers did YYZ handle in 2013?
36.1 MM. 2014 should be over 38 MM, but yah they're taking their sweet time releasing the stats. The GTAA is always slow with this.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto