daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #3941
abrandao
Paris, France.

Likes (Received): 3833

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
YYZ hasn't realized its potential but is moving in the right direction. Developing Toronto into a big north American hub rather than just a big Canadian hub is the key. As was mentioned, Toronto needs to be a stop between Europe and other places in (north & south) America. Is there evidence that Toronto is managing to do so?

By my calculations, Pearson's 2014 PAX numbers should mean that we've moved ahead of a few airports and into 33rd spot; moving passed Rome and Sydney. With a few more solid years YYZ should be back in the top 30.

Staying with Sao Paulo GRU, Shanghai SHA, and especially Delhi DEL will be tough, but pulling ahead of Munich, Madrid, Houston George Bush, Phoenix, Miami, and Las Vegas McCarran is doable between now and 2020. Pearson has a lot of momentum right now.

Btw, there are over 20 million people in metro Sao Paulo.
That's it, some 21 million in its primary metro area and some 31.5 million if you consider the Extended Metropolitan Complex of São Paulo. Almost the entire population of Canada in an area of 23,000 square KM (the most industrialized of Latin America).

Back to the thread now. Good to know that Toronto Pearson keeps growing each year. When I lived in the city, back in 1999, I remember how difficult it was to arrive in the airport as there was no train access to the airport.

Last edited by abrandao; February 19th, 2015 at 11:55 PM.
abrandao no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #3942
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 580

YYZ should overtake SYD this year at the current growth rates which is great.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #3943
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
It's in the testing phase.

In other related matters, the Eglinton LRT is under construction currently up to Jane. There are long term plans to extend it west. Looking on Google Maps, there doesn't seem to be a convenient way to link it with the airport. Maybe placing a stop by the Viscount Road parking garage would do the trick. The revamp of the airport wasn't done with any thought to public transit.
Actually there was thought to public transit and several provisions were made for potential future transit connections YYZ's T1.
Before the Crosstown was chopped down in scope it was to go to the airport by making a right turn at onto Renforth, over the 401 and then along Silver Dart before making a left to connect with T1. IIRC ROW provisions are also in place for this as it will be part of Phase 2.
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #3944
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

And on a side note:

Transaero during Summer peak season is expanding Moscow Vnukovo – Toronto service, with the addition of 2nd weekly flight on Mondays. The new flight operates from 08JUN15 to 07SEP15 with Boeing 767.

UN517 VKO1015 – 1345YYZ 767 15
UN518 YYZ1545 – 0755+1VKO 767 15

http://airlineroute.net/2015/02/20/un-vkoyyz-jun15/

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #3945
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

and CX are adding 3 additional weekly flights at the end of July... from airlineroute.net...

Cathay Pacific from 27JUL15 to 29AUG15 is increasing operations on Hong Kong – Toronto route, with new mid-day departure from Hong Kong 3 times a week. Overall frequency increases from 10 to 13 weekly with 3-class 777-300ER.

CX828 HKG1045 – 1345YYZ 77W 357
CX824 HKG1315 – 1615YYZ 77W 146
CX826 HKG1710 – 2020YYZ 77W D

CX829 YYZ0145 – 0500+1HKG 77W D
CX825 YYZ1530 – 1900+1HKG 77W 357
CX823 YYZ1810 – 2140+1HKG 77W 6
CX823 YYZ1840 – 2210+1HKG 77W 14
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #3946
yyzer

Kelowna Flightcraft, a cargo carrier based in Hamilton, will be moving their operation to YYZ....

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/54...ilton-airport/
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:28 PM   #3947
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam View Post
True... But saying Amsterdam has a metro of only 2 million is somewhat misleading, the Randstad (area including Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht) has 7 million inhabitants. And Schiphol is quite close to any city in the Randstad and even beyond.

Yeah, I had a chance to spend a week in the Benelux countries on my way last summer. The agent put me by mistake right by AMS instead of Amsterdam downtown. It ended up being a nice Crown Plaza along with a short trip to Amsterdam by a train. After a few days, we drove to Belgium. Once you pass Utrecht, it took less than two hours to reach Brussels. That along one 15 minute stop on a motorway. Once you factor in Dutch culture of exploring the World, the reality becomes very self-explanatory.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:00 AM   #3948
Janj

Likes (Received): 3

A bit off topic, but I visited YYZ last summer (wasn't flying through, though). It was big and the roadway looked a bit complicated. Lots of planes and cars. However, the big airy feel of the terminal made it seem much less busy. Hard to imagine 38 million passengers pass through there in a year if you only knew what it was like inside and not outside.
Janj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:26 AM   #3949
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janj View Post
A bit off topic, but I visited YYZ last summer (wasn't flying through, though). It was big and the roadway looked a bit complicated. Lots of planes and cars. However, the big airy feel of the terminal made it seem much less busy. Hard to imagine 38 million passengers pass through there in a year if you only knew what it was like inside and not outside.
Depending on what time of day and day of the week you were there can also make a huge difference. Trust me, there are days when it feels like more than 38 million passengers a year pass through there. But overall, I agree with you, it's a very well designed terminal so passenger flow is handled overall pretty seamlessly, even compared to smaller airports, which can sometimes feel more chaotic.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 03:27 AM   #3950
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Is Terminal 1 designed to handle 50 million passengers or is that figure for Terminal 1 and 3 combined? Second question: is there a passenger threshold that needs to be met before the expansion of Terminal 1 starts and is the next phase the construction of the 2nd 'hammerhead'?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:59 AM   #3951
yyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Is Terminal 1 designed to handle 50 million passengers or is that figure for Terminal 1 and 3 combined? Second question: is there a passenger threshold that needs to be met before the expansion of Terminal 1 starts and is the next phase the construction of the 2nd 'hammerhead'?
Not sure about total passenger capacity, but Terminal 1 as it is, should be able to handle more passengers without too much strain..

Gate capacity, however, is a separate issue... at peak times, they are definitely short of gates at T1 - in spite of temporarily towing away planes that have long times on the ground... I would think they are pretty close to needing another pier....
Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:21 AM   #3952
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

the next pier was originally supposed to start construction in 2014. Recent trends towards larger planes means it has been delayed a little while, but it'll probably be coming very soon.

My understanding of the capacity of T1 is less the passenger capacity but rather the gate capacity. The passenger facilities can handle more than enough people, its a question of how many planes they can get in and out.

Also, isn't the projected "maximum" amount of pax for Pearson around 60 million?

The 38 million number also includes a large number of flights out of oft forgotten T3, remember.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:28 PM   #3953
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Ok, thanks guys. I remember looking over a quite detailed overview of all the phases of expansion but it was a number of years ago now. If memory serves me correctly the 2nd hammerhead will indeed be the next expansion and will provide for the many new gates as you've suggested above. It would be at the extreme southern end of Terminal 1.

After that, Terminal 1 would expand to the north and require the dismantling of Terminal 3. I suppose we won't be seeing that for another 15-20 years at the earliest.

I found this below. Pier G would come next, then Pier H. Then Terminal 1 would expand to where Terminal 3 is now to form 1 super sized terminal. I believe the parking garage would also expand parallel to the terminal.... which would require a re-jigging of lots of roads/ramps.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 2nd, 2015 at 01:09 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 07:24 AM   #3954
yyzer

Air Serbia announce again that they are planning ORD, JFK, and YYZ in early 2016...

http://www.balkans.com/open-news.php...enumber=201701

aleksandar_s liked this post
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #3955
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I went to drop a friend of mine in the late afternoon, but I did not have my DSLR on me. So I had to be very creative with my old phone.
Cathay Pacific 747-8 cargo. Sweet catch for sure I would say!
6:30PM-ish and 1080P HD
Old March 9th, 2015, 06:11 AM   #3956
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 812

FYI: Attached is a document a few years old outlining past annual passenger stats for YYZ as well as some future forecasts:

http://www.torontopearson.com/upload...recasts(2).pdf
Black Cat está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #3957
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Air Serbia announce again that they are planning ORD, JFK, and YYZ in early 2016...

http://www.balkans.com/open-news.php...enumber=201701

Canada and Serbia do not have good relations or any major trade links. (So the yields will suffer) On the flipside, Chinese, Arabs, Russians and others have better economical ties, and these countries have big investments in Serbia. I think that is the part of the World where JU should focus. That is my realistic view on it.
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:09 AM   #3958
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Canada and Serbia do not have good relations or any major trade links. (So the yields will suffer) On the flipside, Chinese, Arabs, Russians and others have better economical ties, and these countries have big investments in Serbia. I think that is the part of the World where JU should focus. That is my realistic view on it.
Maybe Etihad will get Jet Airways to move their YYZ-BRU-DEL and EWR-BRU-BOM flights to BEG, and add an Air Serbia codeshare. This gives BEG links to both North America and India.

On an unrelated note, Canada Jetlines will most likely never be cleared for takeoff: http://www.bcbusiness.ca/manufacturi...before-takeoff

aleksandar_s liked this post
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #3959
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Eva increasing Toronto to 5 weeklyfor W15

http://airlineroute.net/2015/03/15/br-w15update1/

Taipei Taoyuan – Toronto eff 13DEC15 Addition of 5th weekly service
BR036 TPE1940 – 2030YYZ 77W x35
BR035 YYZ0130 – 0610+1TPE 77W x46

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #3960
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Maybe Etihad will get Jet Airways to move their YYZ-BRU-DEL and EWR-BRU-BOM flights to BEG, and add an Air Serbia codeshare. This gives BEG links to both North America and India.

On an unrelated note, Canada Jetlines will most likely never be cleared for takeoff: http://www.bcbusiness.ca/manufacturi...before-takeoff
That never really crossed my mind.. Besides that, both 9W and JU codeshare. JU could provide the feed on the both ways, and that is because the airline is set to handle 3 million passengers this year. That number could be much higher if they get some bigger birds. They are introducing so called "Wi - Fly" on their narrow body fleet. So the experts from Etihad are turning around this airline. Having said that, they made some profit last year, and I think their insiders are going towards Air Serbia branded widebody fleet. I think that is way to go based on their success. After all, it's the airline where Etihad is having the best luck and the smooth transition.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto