daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2015, 02:47 AM   #3981
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
$27.50 makes UP quite a pricey fare compared to other dedicated airport - city centre rail links. The one to Narita is $31.50 but more than double the distance (60 km vs. 25 km). Hong Kong is only $16 and it's also further (35 km). Milan is $16.75 but double the distance (48 km). $27.50 makes this a tax payer funded perk for the wealthy. Regular travellers are going to balk at the price and opt for TTC or split taxis into town. UP should have been priced at $15.

I realize one can get on for $19 with a Presto card but can travellers pick a Presto card up at Pearson? Is the Presto card itself free? And will travellers be notified of the savings using a Presto card at the UP counter? The answer to all 3 questions should be 'yes' or this is effectively a $27.50 fare for most users of Pearson.
the wealthy are the biggest taxpayers of everyone. more business means more taxes for toronto. it's good.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2015, 06:36 AM   #3982
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroTO View Post
Presto cards are not free and cost $6.00

According to UP Express website:

http://www.upexpress.com/en/docs/Uni...re_FAQs_EN.pdf

Clearly this service is meant for people living or working downtown and is of limited benefit for those in the rest of the city. It might free up some space on the TTC bus to/from Kipling Subway.
Even though I live a short walk to the Yonge subway line but don't see ever using the UP train (except out of curiosity), time saving is minimal and cost can't be justified over other options.

Even buses? I can't see that. I would gladly pay more to take the train to downtown Toronto. Taxi is way too expensive and bus takes forever from Pearson.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 09:21 PM   #3983
ToroTO

Likes (Received): 13

Not sure what you're asking, is it that the TTC option can't compare to UP Exp? Well it does, if you start or end trip somewhere other than downtown.

Example: Davisville Subway Station to Pearson airport.

TTC $3.00 total time aprox 1 hour (10 min to Bloor line the 45 min to airport with subway and express bus)

TTC/UPX $30.50 total time aprox 50 min (20-25 min subway to Union, 25 min on express train)

Do the same sort of calculation from anywhere other than downtown and the UP Express looses its advantage. Travel as a couple or more, and door-to-door taxi wins for convenience with a matched price.
ToroTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 01:25 AM   #3984
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

I'm very sure Metrolinx has done extensive market research and concluded that $27.50 is the profit-maximizing fare. They didn't pull that number out of a hat.

OTOH I think this is a missed opportunity. The layout of the airport station effectively prevents future GO Trains from serving it as part of a regular service.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:27 AM   #3985
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroTO View Post
Not sure what you're asking, is it that the TTC option can't compare to UP Exp? Well it does, if you start or end trip somewhere other than downtown.

Example: Davisville Subway Station to Pearson airport.

TTC $3.00 total time aprox 1 hour (10 min to Bloor line the 45 min to airport with subway and express bus)

TTC/UPX $30.50 total time aprox 50 min (20-25 min subway to Union, 25 min on express train)

Do the same sort of calculation from anywhere other than downtown and the UP Express looses its advantage. Travel as a couple or more, and door-to-door taxi wins for convenience with a matched price.
For that I would probably suggest taking the subway to Dundas West and getting on the UPx there. saves you $3 bucks to, it'll be $18.80 instead of $21.80. Presuming PRESTO of course, which within 12 months is what you will be using to make that trip.

as for future regular GO service, there is talk of creating a new "terminal 2" on the rail corridor itself to serve regular GO and HSR trains, with a Link train extension to it.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:58 AM   #3986
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
as for future regular GO service, there is talk of creating a new "terminal 2" on the rail corridor itself to serve regular GO and HSR trains, with a Link train extension to it.
I'll believe it when I see it. Terminal 1 can still be doubled in size, and plans to expand it have been repeatedly postponed. The incumbent airline AC will absolutely refuse to split their operations between more than one building.

The only reason I see Terminal 2 ever being built is if AC expands so dramatically (i.e. like the Gulf Arabs) that Terminal 1 needs to be expanded westward over Terminal 3 (which by then will be showing its age), and building Terminal 2 is required to house WestJet and non-Star Alliance foreign airlines.

By then, YYZ's annual passenger numbers will be well over 80+ million, surely making it one of the world's top aviation capitals.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:35 AM   #3987
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Terminal 1 can still be doubled in size, and plans to expand it have been repeatedly postponed. The incumbent airline AC will absolutely refuse to split their operations between more than one building.

The only reason I see Terminal 2 ever being built is if AC expands so dramatically (i.e. like the Gulf Arabs) that Terminal 1 needs to be expanded westward over Terminal 3 (which by then will be showing its age), and building Terminal 2 is required to house WestJet and non-Star Alliance foreign airlines.

By then, YYZ's annual passenger numbers will be well over 80+ million, surely making it one of the world's top aviation capitals.
Sounds fairly reasonable. I don't expect the locals to travel a lot, rather than focusing on paying off record high realstate. I am fairly sure our point to point traffic is somewhat close to its potential, but I hope I am wrong on this one. So it would have to be Air Canada to pull something off here.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:42 PM   #3988
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post

this theoretical terminal 2 wouldn't even service planes, so don't worry. It would be for rail services only.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:53 PM   #3989
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Quote:
Originally Posted by yin_yang View Post
the wealthy are the biggest taxpayers of everyone. more business means more taxes for toronto. it's good.
Sorry but by that rationale we should just forget average citizens altogether and cater to the wealthy only. I have zero interest in turning Toronto into a class based society like London. City infrastructure must be accessible to all.

Trickle down Reaganomics is a big lie to keep the masses in line... and stupid. And I'm not sure how keeping the fare on UP low is going to hurt business. Quite the opposite. Making getting around convenient and cheap is usually good for wealth creation.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Black Cat liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; May 2nd, 2015 at 07:02 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:39 PM   #3990
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 814

At least there will be a rail link finally connecting the airport to downtown about 40 years overdue, but better late than never. I have a feeling that the fare price will likely lower over time.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 09:45 AM   #3991
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Does anyone have any idea what time is AeroMexico schedule to land at YYZ???
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #3992
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern~Fern* View Post
Does anyone have any idea what time is AeroMexico schedule to land at YYZ???
Flight arrives at 6:36am and leaves at 9:15am according to the Pearson website.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.

Fern~Fern* liked this post
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #3993
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Thank you much sir!
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #3994
Don Porfirio Díaz
Porfirio Díaz Mori

Likes (Received): 772

Don Porfirio Díaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:56 AM   #3995
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Looks like Wahlburgers is opening at YYZ:

http://centreforaviation.com/profile...al-airport-yyz
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #3996
ACT7

Interesting article on CX and their new 777-9X deliveries:

http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/05/...livery-flight/

Quote:
Quote:
The airline notes that Toronto and New York are two of its most profitable North American routes...

yyzer, TheMangoMan liked this post
Old May 21st, 2015, 10:31 AM   #3997
TheMangoMan

Likes (Received): 0

If I remember correctly AC also flies a 777 from Toronto to HK. I wonder what their loadfactor percentage is
TheMangoMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:14 AM   #3998
YAM2043

Likes (Received): 2

When YYZ will build next phase 3? when????????????? since last time was 2007 for phase 2 and 2004 for 1 phase so its been 8 years and there no phase 3? is project suspended? cant afford? I want to know the answer why no phase 3 and 4?
YAM2043 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 04:19 PM   #3999
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMangoMan View Post
If I remember correctly AC also flies a 777 from Toronto to HK. I wonder what their loadfactor percentage is
Upper 90's. Every time I've been on it, it's been oversold. And I recall seeing something a couple of years ago that HK was YYZ's second or third largest international market (excluding some US destinations of course).
Old May 22nd, 2015, 04:21 PM   #4000
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAM2043 View Post
When YYZ will build next phase 3? when????????????? since last time was 2007 for phase 2 and 2004 for 1 phase so its been 8 years and there no phase 3? is project suspended? cant afford? I want to know the answer why no phase 3 and 4?
It's happening - not so easy to redevelop an airport

I just received an email looking for volunteers to test out the new pier at T3, next Friday the 29th from 2-3 PM.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto