daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:59 AM   #4041
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Looks like Wow Air is removing YYZ-KEF from their schedule for some reason. Can't imagine why - they just announced it a few days ago. Does that mean YUL is also out?

http://centreforaviation.com/profile...al-airport-yyz
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2015, 07:14 AM   #4042
jigzyy

Likes (Received): 2

Hey guys,

Anyone have any idea if or when Emirates is going to make YYZ a daily flight? It seems odd that it does not have daily flights to/from Toronto considering one of major cities in North America. I am sorry if I have missed such discussion somewhere in the topic.
jigzyy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 10:17 AM   #4043
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigzyy View Post
Hey guys,

Anyone have any idea if or when Emirates is going to make YYZ a daily flight? It seems odd that it does not have daily flights to/from Toronto considering one of major cities in North America. I am sorry if I have missed such discussion somewhere in the topic.
Yes it does seem odd but all the landing rights UAE carriers have in Canada have been used. Diplomatic relations between the UAE and Canada were chaotic a few years ago, that's why they couldn't secure additional rights. What Emirates could do was deploy the largest aircraft they have YYZ. The relationship seems to be improving lately though, so hopefully they will secure those long-awaited additional rights.
Le Male no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:39 PM   #4044
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Looks like Wow Air is removing YYZ-KEF from their schedule for some reason. Can't imagine why - they just announced it a few days ago. Does that mean YUL is also out?

Strange. Neither YYZ or YUL have actually been announced by the airline and these routes are not available in the booking system on their website.
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:48 PM   #4045
ACT7

Interesting Icelandair-style initiative from Air Canada, allowing originating U.S. passengers connecting at YYZ to or from international destinations to stay in Toronto for up to a week at no extra charge.

http://www.stockhouse.com/news/press...nto-connection
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #4046
jigzyy

Likes (Received): 2

Thank your for the answer.

Yeah it's stupid to restrict landing rights to one of the biggest airlines in the world. Hoping to have daily service from Emirates at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Male View Post
Yes it does seem odd but all the landing rights UAE carriers have in Canada have been used. Diplomatic relations between the UAE and Canada were chaotic a few years ago, that's why they couldn't secure additional rights. What Emirates could do was deploy the largest aircraft they have YYZ. The relationship seems to be improving lately though, so hopefully they will secure those long-awaited additional rights.
jigzyy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 06:41 AM   #4047
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

I spoke with a co-worker that flew QR from YUL, he told that there were quite a few passengers from Toronto. YUL seems to be working out for them.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 08:48 AM   #4048
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
I spoke with a co-worker that flew QR from YUL, he told that there were quite a few passengers from Toronto. YUL seems to be working out for them.
Maybe it's working out because of Toronto passengers. If they decide to add YYZ, YUL may be toast.
Old September 29th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #4049
ACT7

I was doing some thinking the other day about passenger stats across all airports and was trying to figure out the TRUE number of passengers that actually use an airport in any given year. What I mean is, pretty much all airports count the same passenger twice for domestic and international purposes (i.e. a connecting domestic passenger who catches an international flight is considered 1 domestic and 1 international passenger). Since all airports do it, it's technically a level playing field, but for airports whose transit passengers represent the bulk of their volume, I believe it skews the numbers with respect to the true volume of passengers who use the airport on an annual basis.

So, does LHR really see 70 million separate individuals pass through its terminals every year? I'd have to say no, and if their percentage of connecting passengers is about 30-40% then we can probably safely lower that number down to, say about 38 MM pax.

Not sure how to go about accurately collecting those kinds of stats, but just some food for thought.
Old October 1st, 2015, 06:58 PM   #4050
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Iceland's WOW air is now advertising YYZ and YUL as destinations and flights can be booked on their website.
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 10:57 PM   #4051
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Back On Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarki View Post
Iceland's WOW air is now advertising YYZ and YUL as destinations and flights can be booked on their website.
Correct. Official announcement today on the wire services. One drops off (Sky Greece) and one (WOW) come online.

Link:
https://canadianaviationnews.wordpre...-and-montreal/

TORONTO, Oct. 1, 2015 /CNW/ – WOW air, Iceland’s only ultra low-cost airline, announced today that it will begin service to Europe via Iceland from Toronto and Montréal beginning in May 2016 from just CAD $99 one way including taxes¹. Flights to Europe will depart Toronto’s Pearson (YYZ) and Montréal’s Pierre Elliott Trudeau (YUL) via Reykjavik, offering travellers the cheapest connection between Europe and Canada.
After spending about an hour in Reykjavik, it’s just CAD $149 one way, including taxes, to the following European destinations: London, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Dublin, to name a few. Service from Montréal will begin on May 12, 2016 and Toronto services will begin May 20, 2016. Both services will operate year-round, with departures on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
“WOW air prides itself on offering the lowest fares possible as well as the biggest smile and the friendliest service. When we announced our U.S. routes last year, we promised that it was just the beginning of our growth into North America,” said Skúli Mogensen, sole owner and CEO of WOW air. “I’m thrilled to now announce our new routes to Canada, especially as I lived in Montréal for nearly a decade and also because the Icelandic people feel a special affinity for Canada. ”
The airline’s entry into the Canadian market is expected to create an estimated 100 jobs in the travel sector and represents an investment of CAD $60 million for the two routes to both Toronto and Montréal airports. Originally launched in November 2011, WOW air now connects travellers from twenty destinations across the U.S. and Europe with the Icelandic capital. Total passenger numbers for June to August 2015 were up a massive 45 per cent on the previous year with 295,000 passengers transported on business and holidays. Passenger loads across all services averaged 95 per cent in July.
WOW air’s expansion into the Canadian market follows the successful launch of transatlantic services from Boston and Washington, DC in early 2015. Both services now operate with consistent carrier loads of more than 90 per cent.
“We have just had our best summer ever and, with these new routes launching in May 2016, next summer is another chance to break records. These great Canadian cities will become our newest destinations but I look forward to announcing even more in the not-too-distant future!” said Mogensen.
The flights between Reykjavik and Canada will be operated using WOW air’s fleet of new Airbus A321 Extended Range aircraft. The airline’s Airbus A320 family aircraft will carry passengers between Reykjavik and other European destinations.
Tickets for the Canada flights will go on sale starting 9:00 a.m. EST on October 1, 2015 via http://www.wowair.ca.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.

patel2897 liked this post
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #4052
ACT7

Finnair is discontinuing YYZ service next summer:

Not sure why, considering they just upgraded it to a 333 a year ago.

Last edited by ACT7; October 5th, 2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old October 9th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #4053
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

I am guessing the yields were super low. Quite a few people flew them to Eastern Europe for cheap. That's what my co worker told me that flew with them this summer.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #4054
rinathq
Eternal Dream

Likes (Received): 42

Guys... why doesnt Virgin Atlantic operate to YYZ?
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #4055
Aeroland

Likes (Received): 16

This is the Top 10 by destination to USA from Montréal (Yul)

1-Fort Lauderdale 442 139
2-Chicago 278 979
3-NYC (LGA) 259 779
4-Miami 256 049
5-Orlondo 209 187
6-NYC (NWK) 201 617
7-Las Vegas 185 989
8-Atlanta 181 850
9-Los Angeles 151 409
10-NYC (JFK) 137 210

Florida and NYC area are the biggest Market
Aeroland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #4056
ACT7

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...raffic-413082/

Quote:
Royal Jordanian eyes North America after European traffic decline

Los Angeles, Washington DC and Toronto are being evaluated as additional destinations that could be launched for the summer 2016 season. Today, Royal Jordanian serves Chicago, Detroit, New York and Montreal.

Washington DC and Toronto could be served nonstop from Amman with the airline's five-strong Boeing 787 fleet.
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #4057
ACT7

Potentially more good news:

Quote:
Ethiopian wants to increase its thrice weekly flights to Toronto to five weekly.
- See more at: http://www.geeskaafrika.com/ethiopia....nAzujW0I.dpuf
Old October 29th, 2015, 09:04 AM   #4058
ACT7

Attempt #3 - Air Canada is doing Toronto-Seoul again, this time on the 787.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015...bal-reach.html

Doesn't say what the start date is but I suspect summer 2016.
Old October 29th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #4059
ACT7

More details on the Seoul flights:

http://www.rustourismnews.com/?p=49278

Daily beginning June 17, 2016.
Old October 29th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #4060
ACT7

And more info on Royal Jordanian possibly beginning YYZ.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...jakarta-249797

Quote:
Royal Jordanian is also considering potential adjustments to its North American operation after it transitions to an all-787 widebody fleet. Detroit could be dropped or tagged with another US destination. Royal Jordanian is also looking to add Toronto and a potential new US destination which could replace Detroit or become its fourth US destination along with Chicago, New York JFK and Detroit.

Royal Jordanian currently serves Detroit with two weekly flights, including two non-stops in peak summer months and a one-stop service via Montreal the rest of the year. Montreal is also served with two weekly flights, including a turnaround fight in summer and a tag with Detroit the rest of the year.

Royal Jordanian also increases Chicago to daily in the summer compared to four or five frequencies in winter and six frequencies during shoulder months. New York is served with three to four weekly flights depending on the time of year. All the seasonal fluctuations mean that Royal Jordanian has nearly twice as much capacity to North America in peak summer months compared to the winter off peak months.

The current Amman-Montreal-Detroit route is challenging as Jordanians heading to Detroit need a Canadian visa to transit Montreal. Royal Jordanian is looking at instead tagging Montreal with Toronto, which would become its second Canadian destination.

Amman-Toronto is a larger local market than Amman-Montreal but cannot be served non-stop due to bilateral restrictions. Royal Jordanian already has the traffic rights to continue onto Toronto from Montreal, a more attractive option than maintaining Montreal-Detroit.
So if I were to interpret this correctly, Royal Jordanian may be holding out for a non-stop to YYZ, but worst case will take a one-stop option by dropping Detroit...?

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto