daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2016, 04:24 PM   #4081
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Full year stats for YYZ are in for 2015, and they are strong... Pearson not only passed the 40 million passenger mark, it actually exceeded 41 million passengers - total for the year was 41,036,847.

http://www.torontopearson.com/en/gtaa/statistics/##

YYZ grew 6.4% in 2015, an increase of almost 2.5 million passengers compared to 2014.

Domestic was up 4.4%
Transborder was up 6.2%
International was up 8.9%

All in all, a very strong year!

Arkitexture liked this post
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #4082
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Teeth View Post

Why is that seat wider? Is that seat reserved for fat positive passengers?
All the seats in the front cabin are the same size. It is the camera or the angle giving it a misleading picture.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #4083
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Full year stats for YYZ are in for 2015, and they are strong... Pearson not only passed the 40 million passenger mark, it actually exceeded 41 million passengers - total for the year was 41,036,847.

YYZ grew 6.4% in 2015, an increase of almost 2.5 million passengers compared to 2014.

Domestic was up 4.4%
Transborder was up 6.2%

A good year nonetheless.

Last edited by YU-AMC; February 16th, 2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old February 6th, 2016, 02:20 AM   #4084
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10977

Quote:

Domestic was up 4.4%
Transborder was up 6.2%

It's the last 2 (trans border and international) that jump out at me. Toronto is finally morphing into a global travel destination. That more Americans still visit London and Paris was a surprise but I doubt they'll stay ahead of Toronto for long. Toronto really should be thumping both considering proximity.

If Toronto plays its cards right it could be attracting 10-15 million Americans annually and 8-10 million from beyond Canada/US. Toronto hasn't come close to reaching its potential as a travel destination but I sense that's going to change over the next 10-15 years as its profile rises internationally. Traffic at Pearson will explode if this is realized.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #4085
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's the last 2 (trans border and international) that jump out at me. Toronto is finally morphing into a global travel destination. That more Americans still visit London and Paris was a surprise but I doubt they'll stay ahead of Toronto for long. Toronto really should be thumping both considering proximity.
Perhaps, but there's very little that Toronto offers that Chicago or Boston doesn't offer. Maybe lower prices thanks to the loonie, but that won't last forever.

Quote:
If Toronto plays its cards right it could be attracting 10-15 million Americans annually and 8-10 million from beyond Canada/US. Toronto hasn't come close to reaching its potential as a travel destination but I sense that's going to change over the next 10-15 years as its profile rises internationally. Traffic at Pearson will explode if this is realized.
We'll need to look further afield. Per capita spending is always far higher for long-haul visitors. If this means US passenger numbers don't grow as quickly, so be it.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:28 AM   #4086
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Perhaps, but there's very little that Toronto offers that Chicago or Boston doesn't offer. Maybe lower prices thanks to the loonie, but that won't last forever.
Which would suggest that Toronto should be able to draw as many US visitors. It's not even close. Far more Americans visit Boston and Chicago than Toronto. I would also argue that Toronto does offer something different just being in another country.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #4087
urbanfan89

Quote:
Which would suggest that Toronto should be able to draw as many US visitors. It's not even close. Far more Americans visit Boston and Chicago than Toronto. I would also argue that Toronto does offer something different just being in another country.
The vast majority of US citizens don't have passports, and aren't willing to undergo the hassle of getting one just to visit a city with few attractions they can already see. And, to be honest, that won't change unless the border disappears Schengen-style.

Ironically, thanks to Toronto's popularity as a film shot location, it might be the most widely seen city already. It always features as a generic, nameless urban area rather than itself.
Old February 13th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #4088
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Air India considers resumption of service to Toronto

http://centreforaviation.com/profile...al-airport-yyz

Here we go again. Sorry, don't have unrestricted access to CAPA, but here is a different article about it:

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1101282_1.html
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:29 AM   #4089
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

As someone who has been very interested in Chicago gaining such express train service I am wondering what you guys in Toronto think of this article. Or better yet what is yoru experience having used this new train service if you have so.
Quote:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opini...ticle28708468/
GLOBE EDITORIAL
How Toronto got a ‘world-class,’ gold-plated, half-billion-dollar empty train
The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2016 6:15PM EST
Last updated Saturday, Feb. 13

Even business travellers aren’t exactly thronging to UPX. Not all of them are heading for a single-downtown destination, it turns out, and few of them are sacrificing the door-to-door convenience of a cab or limo. Trains are running at under 10 per cent capacity and carrying about 2,200 riders a day, and falling – aggravating the frustrations of ordinary Torontonians who badly want and need transit to and from downtown, but whose tax dollars were arbitrarily redirected to this white elephant on wheels.
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #4090
urbanfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
As someone who has been very interested in Chicago gaining such express train service I am wondering what you guys in Toronto think of this article. Or better yet what is yoru experience having used this new train service if you have so.

I used it on their opening day using free promotional tickets.

The service is such a waste of resources. It's probably the world's most expensive city to airport railway link. A far more efficient way would be to charge regular Go Transit fares, and then impose a surcharge for all trips to/from the airport. Airport staff would be eligible for discounts. Ridership would surge at almost no marginal cost. But instead we get a white elephant, which then discredits all expensive transit projects by association.
Old February 14th, 2016, 05:20 AM   #4091
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Ironically, thanks to Toronto's popularity as a film shot location, it might be the most widely seen city already. It always features as a generic, nameless urban area rather than itself.
Toronto does feel eerily familiar to people who visit for the first time and it is due to the sheer volume of films shot here.

Old February 16th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #4092
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
I used it on their opening day using free promotional tickets.

The service is such a waste of resources. It's probably the world's most expensive city to airport railway link. A far more efficient way would be to charge regular Go Transit fares, and then impose a surcharge for all trips to/from the airport. Airport staff would be eligible for discounts. Ridership would surge at almost no marginal cost. But instead we get a white elephant, which then discredits all expensive transit projects by association.
It isn't a waste, an express line to airport is invaluable. Not to mention the larger benefit is that all the infrastructure work done on the line will enable All-Day service. Additionally it will be one of the first lines electrified as part of the GO RER network.

The fare is where they went greedy; it should have been ~$18 CAD one way.
Old February 16th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #4093
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
It isn't a waste, an express line to airport is invaluable. Not to mention the larger benefit is that all the infrastructure work done on the line will enable All-Day service. Additionally it will be one of the first lines electrified as part of the GO RER network.

The fare is where they went greedy; it should have been ~$18 CAD one way.

I just looked up the fare I paid from LGW to Victoria during my visit to London, and it was 18 British pounds. That is around $36 CAD each way. I think the fare in Toronto is not so bad, but the problem is in the consumers. The previous regimes created a huge gap between poor and rich in our society, and unhappy public is the result of it. It also could be the price tag of living in a World class city. It has to cost us one way or the other.
Old February 16th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #4094
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Dunno if I agree with the rich vs. poor or the "world class city" part.

Most of the opposition for UPE stems from the fact that we don't have a good integrated network of transit options across the breadth of the city. Therefore people perceive this express train to be a white elephant.
Old February 17th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #4095
isaidso
the new republic

The price point for UPx has instantly made it a tax payer funded perk for the wealthy. If people think it's affordable for regular folk they've lost touch with what regular means. Families are just going to take a cab. Students/people on a budget are going to take TTC for $3.

Old February 19th, 2016, 08:05 AM   #4096
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

The fare for UPX should be $10-$12 each way imo.... I am sure it would be successful at that price, popular even with folks whose destination is not the Royal York..... they should fire the person or persons who suggested $27.50, as whoever they were, they are completely incompetent. Unfortunately, that will never happen..

Also, Iran Air wants to fly to YYZ....

http://www.worldtribune.com/iran-eye...-york-toronto/

isaidso liked this post
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #4097
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
The fare for UPX should be $10-$12 each way imo.... I am sure it would be successful at that price, popular even with folks whose destination is not the Royal York..... they should fire the person or persons who suggested $27.50, as whoever they were, they are completely incompetent. Unfortunately, that will never happen..

Also, Iran Air wants to fly to YYZ....

http://www.worldtribune.com/iran-eye...-york-toronto/
Good Suggestion but I guarantee you there would still be an issue with the pricing. As noted above, many believe that it should be $3 per trip just like the TTC. Fully agree that the price is a bit high but I have used the service several times on my trips to Toronto from Bermuda and other locations and I find it enjoyable not to have to pay $60 plus dollars for either downtown or the East End.

For me to get too/from the airport costs in excess of $120 return in Taxi's. With my Presto Card, it costs $38. If I was going out east, then there is the GO fare on top. About $16 return. So for a person downtown, it may not be economical but definitely for someone out in the burbs who does not want to drop over $100 which many people never seem to consider on these forumns. Not everyone has access to a car.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 09:47 AM   #4098
isaidso
the new republic

I also think UPx should be $10-12 each way,.

Old February 23rd, 2016, 08:07 PM   #4099
Toronto_41

Quote:
I also think UPx should be $10-12 each way,.
Looks like you all got your wish. Fares are now between 9 and 12.

Link:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016...than-half.html

More commuter-friendly fares — $9 with a Presto card, $12 without — will be announced Tuesday in a bid to build ridership for the little-used new service.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old March 4th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #4100
Toronto_41

Ethiopian adds a 4th weekly flight as of July 2016.

Link:
http://airlineroute.net/2016/03/04/et-yyz-jul16/

Détails:
Ethiopian Airlines starting July 2016 will increase service to Canada, as the airline opened reservation for 4th weekly Addis Ababa – Toronto route, in both direction. Planned service increase will commence from the week of 01JUL16, with Boeing 787-8 operating via Dublin on outbound flight.

ET502 ADD2240 – 0450+1DUB0635+1 – 0830+1YYZ 788 x247
ET503 YYZ1120 – 0725+1ADD 788 x135

Asia, here I come!!!
J.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto