daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 04:29 AM   #4161
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10977

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
You're absolutely correct, however Pearson also has a very significant O&D traffic count. This is going back a few years now, but I recall connection traffic at Pearson was in the range of about 30-35%. The GTAA would like that number to be pretty much double that.

You're also correct that connections between Europe and the U.S. accounts for a good chunk of the connections, but so do connections between Europe and S.A. believe it or not. Anecdotally, when I flew to Buenos Aires a few years ago, a good chunk of that flight was French, German, and Dutch nationals.

One stat I would LOVE to see is true volume of passengers at an airport. What I mean by that is, if the same passenger is counted twice, once for domestic, once for international, on any given connection, it doesn't mean that two people traveled through the airport. I know every airport does it, but there's no doubt in my mind that the stats we see are inflated. And the higher connection airports would seem to have the more inflated numbers.

Unless I'm way off in my thinking.
O&D (which I looked up) means origin and destination travel so that would be a built in figure for Pearson that a US airport wouldn't have as they're already in the US? Am I understanding it correctly? Due to that, is it possible that Pearson could eventually rise to #1 U.S. CBP port of entry by air to the United States?

That's terrific to hear that Pearson is seeing significant traffic as a stop over between south America and Europe. Due to geography, is Vancouver well positioned to do the same but for south America to Asia traffic or is it too far north?

I often wondered if passengers are counted once or twice when they're using an airport as a stop over only. So if I traveled to Costa Rica via Mexico City Jaurez and back again, Juarez counts me 4 times? I suppose if Pearson develops into a major north American hub the PAX will skyrocket so it works both ways.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2016, 06:28 PM   #4162
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Hainan upgrades YYZ to 787-9 daily. Replacing the 787-8.

Link:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...to-operations/

Details:
Hainan Airlines has adjusted planned operational aircraft for Beijing – Toronto route for winter 2016/17 season, effective 30OCT16. Latest update sees the airline to operate Boeing 787-9 aircraft on daily basis, replacing -8. The -9 was introduced for Toronto service earlier this week, initially operating 3 times a week.

HU7975 PEK1420 – 1410YYZ 789 D
HU7976 YYZ1600 – 1850+1PEK 789 D
Adjustments made to move up the aircraft change to September 2.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...s-to-sep-2016/

Hainan Airlines in last week’s schedule update has moved forward planned all-Boeing 787-9 operation on Beijing – Toronto route. The airline previously planned to operate Boeing 787-9 on this route on daily basis from 30OCT16, however this will now begin from 02SEP16. Currently this route is served by a mix of 787-8 and -9.

HU7975 PEK1420 – 1515YYZ 789 D
HU7976 YYZ1720 – 1900+1PEK 789 D

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:07 PM   #4163
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
O&D (which I looked up) means origin and destination travel so that would be a built in figure for Pearson that a US airport wouldn't have as they're already in the US? Am I understanding it correctly? Due to that, is it possible that Pearson could eventually rise to #1 U.S. CBP port of entry by air to the United States?

That's terrific to hear that Pearson is seeing significant traffic as a stop over between south America and Europe. Due to geography, is Vancouver well positioned to do the same but for south America to Asia traffic or is it too far north?

I often wondered if passengers are counted once or twice when they're using an airport as a stop over only. So if I traveled to Costa Rica via Mexico City Jaurez and back again, Juarez counts me 4 times? I suppose if Pearson develops into a major north American hub the PAX will skyrocket so it works both ways.
Every airport in the world, including U.S. airports, counts both O&D traffic as well as connection traffic. So for Pearson, if say, 65% of their traffic is O&D, in a linear way, it means that of the 41 million passengers, about 26 million are starting or ending their journey in Toronto.

Most airports count connecting passengers twice if they are going from domestic to international or vice versa. Canadian airports separate it out further with trans-border traffic. So, yes, if you're flying from, say Calgary to Toronto, onto South America, you would be counted twice, once for domestic, once for international.

Regarding YVR being a connecting point from Asia to SA, that ultimately seems to be their long term growth strategy. I have my doubts if that will pan out because I don't believe the market is big enough to support it. It would mean Air Canada almost shift their focus away from YYZ and refocus it on YVR since that's how you'll get the most connection traffic - through the national domestic carrier. As much as Air Canada has expanded at YVR, If you think about it, HND/NRT to YVR is almost the same flying time as HND/NRT to YYZ, and YYZ already has strong South American connections. So I don't see a shift happening anytime soon. Just my opinion though.

isaidso liked this post
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #4164
ACT7

Another solid month and quarter of growth for YYZ:

https://www.torontopearson.com/uploa...gerSummary.pdf
Old August 27th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #4165
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

^ How is YYZ-Europe doing? Where is the growth coming from?
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 05:57 PM   #4166
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
^ How is YYZ-Europe doing? Where is the growth coming from?
Probably Rouge mostly
Old August 30th, 2016, 05:21 AM   #4167
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Probably Rouge mostly
Spekaing about AC Rouge, I saw some very decent deals to Eastern Europe.
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:45 PM   #4168
Cdn33

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
China Southern Airlines have once again announced CAN-YYZ, effective Dec 7...

Guangzhou – Toronto eff 07DEC16 NEW 3 weekly service
CZ311 CAN1430 – 1630YYZ 77W 357
CZ312 YYZ0030 – 0510+1CAN 77W 146

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...rvice-changes/

Would be cool if the traffic increased so that they can use their A380s.

I can dream.

When I was flying to Istanbul recently I managed to finally see Emirates A380 closeup. Prior to that I've only seen them from a distance at Pearson or while at Heathrow. It's such a beauty to behold.
Cdn33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #4169
Arkitexture

Likes (Received): 2426

Quote:
Pearson Airport Enhances Passenger Experience in Terminal 3

Fuelled by increased passenger volumes at the Toronto Pearson International Airport, the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) continues to report strong growth. With a record 20.8 million passengers passing through Canada's busiest airport during the first six months of 2016, Canada's largest airport has experienced a 5.9% expansion in passenger volumes compared to the same period in 2015.

As passenger volume increases, Pearson must consider updates to avoid crowding and meet modern standards. Built in the 1980s, Terminal 3 has embarked on a multi-year refurbishment capital improvement exercise dubbed the "Terminal Enhancement Project" which addresses regulatory requirements for security screening in advance of United States Customs and Immigration Processing, enhances retail, and carries out energy efficiency initiatives.

Behind LAX as North America’s second busiest airport by international passenger volume, significant consideration was given to redesigning Terminal 3's retail environment to include a mix of international fare (Shanghai 360), contemporary (Beerhive and Smashburger), and local Canadian (Smoke’s Burritorie and Tim Horton’s).

"The newly redesigned space in Terminal 3 marks another major milestone in our work to ensure every element of the airport becomes one that enhances the passenger experience," said Scott Collier, Vice President, Customer and Terminal Services, Greater Toronto Airports Authority. "Passengers want a relaxing space to unwind before a trip, they want to charge their devices, and a variety of places to eat and shop. This new entry to the gates delivers on that in a big way."

The GTAA projects passenger volumes to rise around 50% to over 60 million by the year 2030. As part of its a 20-year strategic framework to address capacity expansion, the airport authority intends to add more amenities to improve passenger experience.
More at: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2016/09/...nce-terminal-3

patel2897 liked this post
Arkitexture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #4170
isaidso
the new republic

Pearson is 2nd busiest international airport in north America after JFK, not LAX as reported in that article above.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old September 13th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #4171
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Record Breaking Summer at Toronto Pearson Signals New Era as Key North American International Airport

Nearly 9.6 million passengers have travelled through Toronto Pearson since Canada Day

TORONTO, Sept. 12, 2016 /CNW/ - Toronto Pearson has completed a record-breaking summer travel season with nearly 9.6 million passengers travelling through the airport between Canada Day and Labour Day. The peak days of August 12 and August 19 saw almost 150,000 passengers per day.

The increase in passenger traffic reflects Toronto Pearson's role as one of the top 40 international airports in the world, connecting people to from around the world. In the first half of 2016, passenger numbers increased by 5.9 per cent, compared to the first half of 2015. Of this, nearly 30 per cent were passengers connecting through Toronto Pearson to other destinations.

Connecting passenger traffic has become an important component of the airport's overall traffic. Toronto Pearson has become the fourth-busiest port of entry into the United States, among North American airports, with 5.6 million passengers entering the U.S. annually.
Full article: http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...64&filter=5611

Old September 13th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #4172
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I miss spotting, but due to bad traffic on the 401 I was reluctant about it.
Old September 14th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #4173
ninetykman

Likes (Received): 0

YYZ has become an important hub. I flew to DFW from YYZ, last Dec, and we were #10 in queue. Everyday while driving home on 401 west around 5:30, I see several planes landing or taking off during 10-15 mins stretch in Rush hour.
If GTAA and Feds make the right moves YYZ can easily become the top airport in the world.
ninetykman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #4174
Arkitexture

Likes (Received): 2426

That's a stretch, but your optimism is nice.
Arkitexture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #4175
isaidso
the new republic

No airport in America can compete with the geographic centrality of the Middle East/Turkey as a hub between continents or the huge number of people in China and India. The future world's busiest airport will come from one of those 3 areas.

YYZ has a good shot at being the busiest airport in America by international traffic. It's been #2 for a long time and not that far below JFK. Pearson also has the potential to be busiest in America overall. It would take decades to achieve and will depend on its ability to turn itself into both a north American hub and a global hub.

Schiphol in Amsterdam proves one doesn't have to be in a big country to be a continental or global hub. It depends more on an airport's management, ambition, and executing business strategy successfully.

Last edited by isaidso; September 15th, 2016 at 01:34 AM.
Old September 15th, 2016, 11:34 PM   #4176
ninetykman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitexture View Post
That's a stretch, but your optimism is nice.
Why not. There are lots of factors other than geography. I am not saying that YYZ will beat Atlanta and Dubai. Dubai was nothing 20 years. In the late seventies and eighties, Karachi airport was the gateway to Asia. Due to geopolitical reasons, Karachi lost it and Dubai became a hub.
Canada is viewed as Stable, Tolerant and safe country. Toronto being its financial center and most multicultural city. People and move always go to places which are stable and peaceful. So YYZ has a good chance of breaking in the top 15 if not top 10.
Old September 16th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #4177
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetykman View Post
Why not. There are lots of factors other than geography. I am not saying that YYZ will beat Atlanta and Dubai. Dubai was nothing 20 years. In the late seventies and eighties, Karachi airport was the gateway to Asia. Due to geopolitical reasons, Karachi lost it and Dubai became a hub.
Canada is viewed as Stable, Tolerant and safe country. Toronto being its financial center and most multicultural city. People and move always go to places which are stable and peaceful. So YYZ has a good chance of breaking in the top 15 if not top 10.
That is very true for Karachi. What I find very crazy, JU (Air Serbia/JAT), the airline from my old country purchased PIA's 707 to start their long haul flights in the 1970s.
Old September 16th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #4178
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Btw JU (Air Serbia) is expected to announce PEK in coming days, so the chances of launching YYZ are fairly slim.
Old September 16th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #4179
ninetykman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
That is very true for Karachi. What I find very crazy, JU (Air Serbia/JAT), the airline from my old country purchased PIA's 707 to start their long haul flights in the 1970s.
No only JAT, but also Emirates. Emirates borrowed two planes from PIA in the mid 80s and launched itself. PIA pilots and engineers are world renowned. Good governance is very important in the rise and fall airlines.

So far YYZ and the Feds making the right moves. So YYZ has a great future.
Old September 17th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #4180
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetykman View Post

So far YYZ and the Feds making the right moves. So YYZ has a great future.
Federal policies have stunted the civil aviation industry nationally but many of our airports are managing to prosper despite heavy fees imposed by Ottawa. Pearson traffic has long been much lower than one would expect but it's starting to realize its potential.

I imagine it will take till about 2030-2035 till we see the type of traffic one would expect in a market this important in size/influence. I wouldn't be surprised to see 100 million PAX by then.

Last edited by isaidso; September 17th, 2016 at 02:26 AM.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto