daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2016, 07:15 AM   #4201
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Actually both YYZ and BHX have large Punjabi/Sikh populations.

When Air India restarted YYZ in 2009 they did so as ATQ-DEL-BHX-YYZ with ex-UA 777-200s (non-ERs) and chose BHX due to the demographics.

Subsequently upon procurement of 777-200ERs the flight routing was changed to ATQ-DEL-LHR-YYZ-LHR-DEL-ATQ.

Finally the LHR portion was dropped when they received new 777-200LRs and was ATQ-DEL-YYZ-DEL-ATQ until it was quietly discontinued in 2012.

Don't think they'll make any money on this route as it'll be 99.9% VFR pax but as a spotter I am happy to see them returning to YYZ.
I'm guessing this will be a 788/9, so at the very least, it should be a more profitable run than the previous attempt. I'm also assuming they will have 5th freedom on the BHX-YYZ legs.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2016, 08:38 AM   #4202
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
The GTHA has a significant Punjab population and Amritsar is a major city in the Punjab region of India. It's also only 30 km from the Pakistani border, so even though PIA already flies to YYZ, there may be an opportunity to carry transiting passengers from India to Pakistan. Add to that, that both 9W and AC already fly to DEL, and the Indian community in both the GTHA and Amritsar have been lobbying endlessly for YYZ-ATQ, it was just a matter of time before this was going to happen.
Thanks. That makes sense because that area used to be one country many moons ago.
Having said that, I am curious if PIA generates any profit on their YYZ runs? I was told in the past that Pakistan tends to spend the cash on the prestige.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:18 AM   #4203
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Thanks. That makes sense because that area used to be one country many moons ago.
Having said that, I am curious if PIA generates any profit on their YYZ runs? I was told in the past that Pakistan tends to spend the cash on the prestige.
PIA has being flying to YYZ for decades so I suspect it's a pretty successful flight for them.
Old November 8th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #4204
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Few YYZ Updates from Routesonline

WS starts YYZ-YSB (Sudbury) in 2017
WS3570 YYZ0825 – 0924YSB DH4 D
WS3572 YYZ1700 – 1759YSB DH4 D
WS3574 YYZ2200 – 2259YSB DH4 D

AC upgrades YYZ-GRU to the B789 starting March 2017
AC090 YYZ2310 – 1020+1GRU 789 D
AC091 GRU1955 – 0530+1YYZ 789 D

BA removes B744 for Summer 2017
BA093 LHR1315 – 1555YYZ 772/789
BA099 LHR1655 – 1940YYZ 772/788/789

patel2897 liked this post
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #4205
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Interesting note. Interjet from Mexico has applied and received a license to operate to/from Canada.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/342-a-2016

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #4206
Toronto_41

SAA

Received an email from SAA advising of some interesting news coming this week. I heard rumours of them to YYZ but I also saw that they applied for and received code share with Ethiopian. Anyone know of what this may be?

Cheers.

yyzer liked this post
Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:30 PM   #4207
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Received an email from SAA advising of some interesting news coming this week. I heard rumours of them to YYZ but I also saw that they applied for and received code share with Ethiopian. Anyone know of what this may be?

Cheers.
Yes, a while back, in 2014 they mentioned YYZ was a very real possibility as a new destination. It was about SAA considering dropping their biggest money-losing route (PEK) and replacing it with YYZ.

Here's the article:

https://skift.com/2014/12/14/south-a...firing-pilots/

I think AC is also planning on starting Jo'burg with a 789. At least that's what was showing on their Investor Day future route possibilities last year.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:36 PM   #4208
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Growing Canada with a Mega Hub Airport

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...o-meg-hub.html

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...and-in-the-way
Old December 6th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #4209
ACT7

Tweet put out by airlineroute.net that TAP is starting YYZ, June 10, 2017, 5x weekly on a 330.

YUL likely to follow with seasonal...
Old December 8th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #4210
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I am curious to see if there is enough room for TAP, considering how eagerly Air Transat serves Portugese market.
Old December 8th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #4211
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

China Southern operated their inaugural CAN-YYZ flight yesterday... here is CZ311 at the gate at Terminal 3, pic by Tom Podolec, originally posted at the Toronto Pearson Aviation facebook group....

shakman liked this post
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #4212
Toronto_41

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
China Southern operated their inaugural CAN-YYZ flight yesterday... here is CZ311 at the gate at Terminal 3, pic by Tom Podolec, originally posted at the Toronto Pearson Aviation facebook group....

China Southern posted their Schedule for an increase in service.

Link:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-11dec16/

Détails:
Guangzhou – Toronto Service increase from 3 to 5 weekly from 24JUN17 to 28OCT17, 777-300ER service

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old December 12th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #4213
Toronto_41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Yes, a while back, in 2014 they mentioned YYZ was a very real possibility as a new destination. It was about SAA considering dropping their biggest money-losing route (PEK) and replacing it with YYZ.

Here's the article:

https://skift.com/2014/12/14/south-a...firing-pilots/

I think AC is also planning on starting Jo'burg with a 789. At least that's what was showing on their Investor Day future route possibilities last year.
Thanks for your response on this. It appears that they were doing a Black Friday sale only. Will be interesting to see how things turn out since both ET and SAA applied for codesharing.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old December 14th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #4214
Toronto_41

Interesting Tid Bit of informaiton. Appears that JetBlue is looking at YYZ. All basd on their investor day presentaiton. Note it is just looking at and not confirmed.

Link here:
http://mediaroom.jetblue.com/~/media...12-12-2016.pdf

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old December 19th, 2016, 04:59 PM   #4215
Riva31

Likes (Received): 520

Water Salute inaugural Seasonal flight Airtransat TS638 Toronto - Santo Domingo

Old December 27th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #4216
ACT7

http://www.dfnionline.com/lead-stori...ns-27-12-2016/

Article about YYZ's new retail expansion and Renovation in T1.
Old January 6th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #4217
ACT7

Not directly related to YYZ, but the discussion has come up several times in the past.
A fascinating read on EK - very long read, but fascinating.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ing-out-of-sky
Old January 9th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #4218
4seasonscentre

Likes (Received): 1

I was here yesterday.

Wow the place has changed!

In T1 a full section of check in has been closed and cordoned off to be security before US Pre-clearance. But now there are full sets of check in counters (built without luggage belts) that are not in use.

In T3 the East check in area has lost its great window of the apron :-(. Now there are counters but they are not connected to a belt so I'm not sure what they are used for.

Both terminals are using self bag drop but in my observations it seems cumbersome. Granted people are not following instructions but on multiple occasions it seemed like something was overweight or something wrong with the boarding pass.

The buildings, especially T3 seem to be struggling with changes to how passengers are handled. Back in the 90s everyone went to the check in counter, then security, but now some go to check in, some go to kiosk, some go to bag drop, and some just go to security.
4seasonscentre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #4219
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18157

Cathay Pacific to increase Toronto service to double daily this summer
Cathay Pacific Press Release Excerpt
16 Jan 2017

Airline underscores commitment to Canada with frequency boost to the country’s most populous city from 24 June

Cathay Pacific today announced that it will increase the frequency of its summer service to Toronto with the addition of four weekly flights commencing 24 June 2017, underscoring the importance the airline places on the Canadian market.

The announcement, which will see Cathay Pacific operate a twice-daily non-stop service from Hong Kong to Canada’s most populous city, will provide passengers with greater travel options and improved connectivity – and comes on the back of successful summer frequency increases to Toronto by the airline over the past two years.

Since launching flights to Toronto in June 1994, Cathay Pacific has seen growing demand to and from the city, especially during the peak holiday period. In line with the current 10-times-weekly service, the additional flights, which will be operated by Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, will provide passengers with a superior experience across all classes, enabling the airline to live up to its brand promise of a Life Well Travelled.

Cathay Pacific Director Corporate Development & IT Paul Loo said: “Toronto is a growing destination for us, and with summer being a popular period for families to spend important time together, we are delighted to be able to offer our customers with more options and flexibility through these additional services. Cathay Pacific is wholly committed to the Canadian market and we are continually looking at ways in which we can increase our reach within the country.”

The extra services, which will continue until 4 September, will depart from Hong Kong at 1035, arriving in Toronto at 1355 local time the same day; return flights depart Toronto in the afternoon, arriving in Hong Kong the following evening.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hatenciaescorcia, isaidso, YU-AMC liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 01:48 AM   #4220
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

^

That makes it look like an other great year for YYZ.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto