daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #541
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
Quick question: How many daily flights (AC/BA/Air Transat, etc.) are there between Toronto and London Heathrow in the winter season, as well as the summer season?
It looks like in winter there are 7 daily flights so I'm assuming in summer there are 8 or 9 daily.

I wouldn't get all worked up about CSA. It won't be long before another airline picks up the slack with either new entry into YYZ or an existing airline increasing service to a connecting hub or upgrading equipment. Alot of airlines say that loads are the reason when in fcat it could be lack of aircraft or inefficient use of aircraft. I'd like to know where CSA will deploy that 310 on a more profitable long haul route. Remember the real reason that AC pulled out of India was mismanagement of planes, not loads. That's maybe just my opinion.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #542
Canadian74

Likes (Received): 1

The reason AC pulled out of India was because of poor loads in the off-season periods. Traffic was highly seasonal, with poor yields.

They said they will try India again when they have enough 787s delivered. YYZ-BOM and YVR-DEL non-stop.

I am pretty sure though we will have Jet and Air India to YVR already and Kingfisher to YYZ. But AFAIK, none of them will offer non-stops (maybe except Kingfisher). That's one advantage AC will have -- non-stops.
Canadian74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #543
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
The reason AC pulled out of India was because of poor loads in the off-season periods. Traffic was highly seasonal, with poor yields.

They said they will try India again when they have enough 787s delivered. YYZ-BOM and YVR-DEL non-stop.

I am pretty sure though we will have Jet and Air India to YVR already and Kingfisher to YYZ. But AFAIK, none of them will offer non-stops (maybe except Kingfisher). That's one advantage AC will have -- non-stops.
Sorry but I just don't buy the fact that AC pulled out of India because of poor loads/yields. How is that Jet Airways, Air India, and even Etihad and Emirates (which are capitalizing on the Indian market) can all pull off flights and AC couldn't. There wasn't a single time that I was on the AC Delhi flight (winter or summer) that it was even marginally empty. Again, directly from an Air Canada employee, AC pulled out because of the inefficiency of the planes being used and because of the lack of available aircraft to make the route workable, especially with the high demand for trans-pacific routes. You're right though that once AC receives their 787's, a non-stop to India becomes a reality again.
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #544
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Sorry but I just don't buy the fact that AC pulled out of India because of poor loads/yields. How is that Jet Airways, Air India, and even Etihad and Emirates (which are capitalizing on the Indian market) can all pull off flights and AC couldn't. There wasn't a single time that I was on the AC Delhi flight (winter or summer) that it was even marginally empty. Again, directly from an Air Canada employee, AC pulled out because of the inefficiency of the planes being used and because of the lack of available aircraft to make the route workable, especially with the high demand for trans-pacific routes. You're right though that once AC receives their 787's, a non-stop to India becomes a reality again.
Opportunity cost. Even if a route is profitable, it can still be axed if the planes can be deployed to make more money elsewhere. Having a full flight is not the same as being business-viable. AC doesn't have enough long-range aircraft to fulfill its Asian expansion. I believe they were using the old gas-guzzing 767s on that route.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #545
ggaleazz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
I heard from WikiMapia that 98% of the materials of the old Terminal 2 are to be recycled.

And about the new infield terminal, is it a temporary terminal as it is only being used whenever the new Terminal 1 needs expansion or it will it be used for high-security international flights in the future?
a while back I was told that the infield terminal would be turned over to Vista cargo (currently located north of T3 around the AC buildings). This will bring all cargo operations to the west side of the airport (well except for FedEX). The old Vista cargo building will be torn down/reused.
ggaleazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #546
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Opportunity cost. Even if a route is profitable, it can still be axed if the planes can be deployed to make more money elsewhere. Having a full flight is not the same as being business-viable. AC doesn't have enough long-range aircraft to fulfill its Asian expansion. I believe they were using the old gas-guzzing 767s on that route.
My point exactly...inefficient use of and lack of aircraft to optimally accomodate their route network. They were using A340's on the non-stop to Delhi at one time, but even those are gas guzzlers compared to triple 7's and likely the 787's.
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #547
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
My point exactly...inefficient use of and lack of aircraft to optimally accomodate their route network. They were using A340's on the non-stop to Delhi at one time, but even those are gas guzzlers compared to triple 7's and likely the 787's.
I thought that aircraft type was solely flying the YYZ-HKG run until they were given up to TAM? Or is this not the A345 on AC's schedules?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #548
djwizard84

Likes (Received): 3

few days ago, i was looking a flight MEX-VIE stopping at YYZ so i called AC centre and they told me "in you flight MEX-YYZ you have to pay extra for food & beverage"...

WTF is this... when the low cost policies came into long flights??

just because of that i change my flight and now i'm with AF...
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #549
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
I thought that aircraft type was solely flying the YYZ-HKG run until they were given up to TAM? Or is this not the A345 on AC's schedules?
Yes the A345 was primarily on YYZ-HKG. However, due to a couple of mx issues it was substituted in place of the regular A343s for several YYZ-DEL non-stop runs.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #550
Canadian74

Quote:
Jet Airways -- able to offer several Indian cities from its BRU hub.
Air India -- one-stop to Amritsar and two-stop to several Indian cities.
Emirates/Etihad -- one-stop to several Indian cities and Australian/New Zealand cities.

Air Canada did not have any of those advantages.
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #551
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

couple of new rumours found on the web, one good and one bad - first the good...Singapore Airlines are planning nonstop flights to YYZ for late 2008 or early 2009 , to be operated with soon-to-be-ordered 777-200LRs ......

and the not-so-good...AirBridge Cargo out of Russia have decided to pass on YYZ flights due to the high landing fees, and may instead operate to either Hamilton (YHM) or Mirabel (YMX) starting in February....
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #552
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
couple of new rumours found on the web, one good and one bad - first the good...Singapore Airlines are planning nonstop flights to YYZ for late 2008 or early 2009 , to be operated with soon-to-be-ordered 777-200LRs ......

and the not-so-good...AirBridge Cargo out of Russia have decided to pass on YYZ flights due to the high landing fees, and may instead operate to either Hamilton (YHM) or Mirabel (YMX) starting in February....
I'll take SQ over AirBridge Cargo...
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #553
Canadian74

First, I don't think the current agreement allows SIA to operate non-stop flights to Canada.
Second, I have not heard anything about SIA ordering 77Ls... Can you provide more information on that?
Third, there is not enough demand from any city in Canada (including YYZ) to fill a 777 to Singapore. Especially non-stop.

Non-stop to Singapore on SQ from Toronto is a pipe-dream.
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #554
yyzer

74...you need to check your facts before you shoot your mouth off....

Quote:
For release - November 7, 2007

CANADA'S GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES AIR TRANSPORT AGREEMENT WITH REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE
OTTAWA — The Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable David Emerson, Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Pacific Gateway and the Vancouver-Whistler Olympics, today announced the conclusion of a bilateral air transport agreement with the Republic of Singapore.

The agreement is a modern framework for air services that permits any number of air carriers from either country to operate non-stop passenger and all-cargo scheduled air services as frequently as desired, between any city in Canada and Singapore.

"The new agreement provides the stability airlines require to invest in the development of new air services," said Minister Cannon. "It should lead to new air travel opportunities for Canadian airlines and airports."

The agreement provides new and flexible arrangements for the operation of all-cargo services, and gives airlines greater flexibility with respect to the prices they wish to offer between Canada and Singapore.

"Singapore is the business hub for Southeast Asia," said Minister Emerson. "This new air agreement will strengthen our business connections with this important region and further contribute to making Canada a gateway of choice into the North American marketplace."

The agreement provides for open code-sharing services, and includes strong aviation safety and security provisions, which reflect the priority that both countries attach to these subjects. Code-sharing is a type of air service in which an airline uses the flights of other airlines over all or a portion of the passenger journey.

In this important bilateral market, both Air Canada and Singapore Airlines operate direct air services. Singapore Airlines operates one-stop flights to Vancouver and both Air Canada and Singapore Airlines operate code-sharing services via London, Frankfurt, Hong Kong and San Francisco. The two airlines are expected to assess the new rights exchanged with a view to determining where air services can be expanded. The new agreement replaces a temporary arrangement that has governed air services for several years.
and here's a link to the SQ 'rumour'...remember, I did say this is just a rumour...btw, they have about 15 300ERs on option, which can be converted to 200LR at any time...as for being a pipedream, we'll leave that up to the marketing and yield management folks at SQ, or in other words, people who actually know what they are talking about, ok?....

http://www.cathaytalk.com/showthread.php?t=3026
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #555
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Don't think an order even now in late 2007 can translate into delivery in 2008.

Old November 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #556
yyzer

Quote:
I agree....I guess time will tell....
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #557
yyzhyd

Quote:
Singapore Airlines to Pearson is definitely not a pipedream, it's just that SQ doesn't have any suitable aircraft. Theoretically SQ could convert a couple of the B77Ws currently on order to B77Ls but that is highly unlikely.
If SQ does arrive in YYZ it will be sometime around 2011 when their B787-9s are inducted into their fleet. This aircraft will be ideal for a route such as SIN-YYZ.
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #558
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Business traffic is not adequate to warrant the opportunity cost of flying a long-range aircraft to YYZ on leisure / economy loads alone. If there is spare capacity, I'd expect to see more frequencies to New York instead.

Old December 4th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #559
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Likes (Received): 0

Found this interesting. Was wonder about what you all feel it will translate into?

http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-dec...-A-2007_e.html
TObermuda37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #560
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObermuda37 View Post
Found this interesting. Was wonder about what you all feel it will translate into?

http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-dec...-A-2007_e.html
It's a codeshare agreement similar to what Air Canada has with other Star Alliance members.

On a separate note yyznews.com is reporting that there are some rumblings that Aer Lingus might give YYZ another try.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto