daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM   #581
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Is that semi-confirmed?
Yes...
First A380 to YYZ will be Emirates unless the CTA opens up the bilateral.
Which would allow Emirates to operate their preferred option of daily B77W flights.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:28 AM   #582
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Yes...
First A380 to YYZ will be Emirates unless the CTA opens up the bilateral.
Which would allow Emirates to operate their preferred option of daily B77W flights.
Awesome! Can't wait to see that monster sitting at T1.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #583
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Turkish Airlines announces YYZ for 2008

Turkish airlines add new destinations
Jan 22, 08 | 11:23 am

Turkish Airlines (THY) will add 11 new international flight destinations within 2008. THY will start direct flights to Toronto (Canada), Washington (USA), Sao Paulo (Brazil), Aleppo (Syria), Birmingham (Britain), Lahore (Pakistan), Atyrau (Kazakhstan), Oran (Algeria), Lvov (Ukraine), Ufa (Russia) and Alexandria (Egypt).

Link to article:
http://travelvideo.tv/news/more.php?id=13449_0_1_0_M

Officially on the THY website (in Turkish):
http://www.thy.com/tr-TR/corporate/n....aspx?pid=2467

Since the current bilateral doesn't allow for YYZ service... I am guessing that TK has announced before the CTA has announced a new/updated bilateral.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #584
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Tremendous news!
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #585
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Tremendous news!
More great news for YYZ! This one has been a long time coming. Won't be long before Egyptair announces a Toronto run, especially now that they're a Star Alliance member.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #586
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

LTU has removed YYZ from their website and from amadeus.

Guess LH has gotten to them.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #587
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Yeah, the new Dusseldorf LH flight effectively killed LTU here...sort of a bittersweet addition to YYZ..

Hope the rumours are right about Turkish...

P.S., this coming Saturday night, Feb 2, should see the first Cathay Pacific 777-300ER arrive at YYZ; it'll overnight and go out nonstop to HKG on Sunday morning...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #588
yyzer

from the Mississauga News:

January 28, 2008 10:57 AM -

Life in the fast lane will begin later this year for passengers at Mississauga's Pearson International Airport.

The installation of two new "express moving walkways" has been completed on the upper level of Pier F of Pearson’s Terminal 1.

The moving sidewalks will move at a maximum speed of two metres per second, which could significantly help passengers hurrying to make a connecting flight.

The EMWs were tested recently by a group of volunteers who looked at using the equipment under several different scenarios. They will be tested further over the next few months until deemed ready to be used by the public.

The high-speed walkways, measuring 280 metres in length, will provide international outbound and inbound passengers a speedier third option of getting to and from gates. They can walk, take a series of normal speed moving walkways, and once all the testing is completed, they will also be able to take the new EMWs.

The EMW will allow international departing passengers to go from the security checkpoint to their gate area, a distance of more than 300 metres, in about five minutes. They can go even faster if they walk while on the device.

For the same distance it would take an average of 10 minutes using the series of existing standard normal speed moving walkways, which are located right next to the new EMWs.

The same is true for international passengers arriving into Terminal 1, the EMWs will mean a shorter time from their gate to Canada Customs.

“These are the first of their kind in the world,” said Lee Daniel, of ThyssenKrupp Elevator, which designed and built the system.
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #589
yyzer

Just an FYI, Cathay Pacific brought their brand-new special livery "Hong Kong - Asia's World City" 777-300ER, registered B-KPF, to YYZ...it arrived last night as CX 826, and departed this morning as CX 827...

Beautiful plane!
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #590
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

WICKED! Gotta love to see Turkish in Pearson.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #591
globetrekker

Likes (Received): 0

How can I get the new Toronto Pearson Master Plan, entitled Taking Flight – The Airport Master Plan 2008–2030? If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out their web site http://www.gtaa.com/en/home/
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #592
globetrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
How can I get the new Toronto Pearson Master Plan, entitled Taking Flight – The Airport Master Plan 2008–2030? If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out their web site http://www.gtaa.com/en/home/

Never mind. I have it.
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #593
globetrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post

Never mind. I have it.
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #594
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

Air China (CA) will start service from Beijing to Toronto on March, 2009 using Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

The following table shows international routes scheduled to start in 2009, according to the General Administration of Civil Aviation.

================================================================
Company Route Weekly Flights Starting
Air China Beijing-Toronto 7 March
Beijing-Washington 7 March
Shanghai-San Francisco 7 March
Beijing-Manchester 7 March
Beijing-Zurich 7 March
Beijing-Dusseldorf 7 October
Beijing-Vienna 7 October
Shanghai-Rome 7 October
Beijing-Milan 7 October

China Southern Beijing-Detroit 7 March
Beijing-London 7 March
Guangzhou-Vancouver 7 July

Hainan Airlines Beijing-Chicago 7 June
Beijing-Newark 7 October

Shanghai Airlines Shanghai-Seattle 3 *
Shanghai-Los Angeles 7 *

http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=3725
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #595
globetrekker

I just want to get everyone's thoughts on Lufthansa's future fleet usage to Toronto. Seeing as they'll have both the Boeing 747-8 and Airbus 380, which do you think they'll use to fly to Toronto with? Or will they?!
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #596
yyzer

Well, it appears the GTAA and the feds have signed a rent reduction agreement.....

For release - February 15, 2008

GOVERNMENT OF CANADA SIGNS AGREEMENT WITH THE GREATER TORONTO AIRPORTS AUTHORITY, PROVIDING LONG-TERM RENT REDUCTION
OTTAWA — The Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance and Minister Responsible for the Greater Toronto Area, today announced that an agreement on airport rent has been reached between the Government of Canada and the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA).

"The signing of the amended rent agreement with the GTAA is the last step in implementing the Airport Rent Policy," said Minister Cannon. "This policy provides a reduction in long-term costs for the GTAA and supports its ongoing financial viability."

The current airport rent policy has already led to considerable savings for airport authorities across the country, helping the air industry remain competitive. However, under the GTAA's previous lease, rent would have more than doubled in 2012 to almost $400 million annually. The Government of Canada and the GTAA have agreed to amend the rent arrangement to reflect the current rent policy adopted by all other airport authorities. This new agreement, which came into effect on January 1, 2008, reduces the rent payable by approximately $12 million in 2008 and $18 million in 2009.

"The announcement being made today is not only good news for the GTAA and Pearson International Airport, it is good news for the travellers and businesses using Canada's busiest airport," said Minister Flaherty. "Cost effective air travel is an essential component of a strong and growing national economy."

The Government of Canada's current airport rent policy is the result of extensive study and analysis which aims for a balance between a fair return to taxpayers and the financial viability and competitiveness of the air industry.

"The federal government continually monitors the health of the Canadian air industry, and strives to ensure that Canadian policies are designed to promote the health of the air sector and meet the needs of the travelling public," added Minister Cannon.

The rent formula is based on modern commercial leasing principles and is in line with other rent formulas within the Government of Canada and the private sector. The formula uses a progressive scale based on airport gross revenues to set out a more modern and equitable rent for the 21 rent-paying airports across Canada. The Airport Rent Policy will result in close to $8 billion of relief for Canada's airport authorities over the course of their existing leases and will address inequities in the system.
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #597
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

Great News!!
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #598
p5archit

Likes (Received): 1

Does anyone have any pictures of the demolition progress at T2? I was under the impression that this would be completed by early to late spring '08.

It seems as though Pearson is definitely becoming a popular destination with more and more carriers, now if we can only build upon this growth to become the one of the top two int'l airports in North America, that would be great.

I think the faster the GTAA moves at developing the rest of the facilities, the quicker they can capitalize on increasing air travel numbers. I know that they are making progress, but I don't think adding a 6th runway is necessary, or cost beneficial, especially given the fact that we haven't even reached near capacity with 5.

p5
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #599
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

I wanted to take one when i was flying out of the t1 east holding rooms but I'd packed the camera in my checked luggage. there's small 2 storey portion of the terminal remaining, everthing else is gone. The parkette hasnt been touched at all though
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:25 AM   #600
p5archit

Thanks for the update. I think I will try and head out that way this weekend to do some plane spotting, and possibly check out the progress of the demolition.

p5

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto