daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #761
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
hot off the press this morning....

EU, Canada reach deal on aviation pact

By CONSTANT BRAND – 1 hour ago

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) — The European Union and Canada have reached a deal that will open up their aviation markets to each other, removing restrictions on ownership and direct flights, EU officials said Tuesday.

EU Transport Commissioner Antonio Tajani said the pact will lead to more trans-Atlantic trade and spur competition.

"The new agreement makes the EU-Canada market one of the most open in the world," Tajani said in a statement.

Under the deal, which is expected to come into force in the first half of 2009, airlines based in the 27-nation bloc will be able to operate direct flights to Canada from anywhere in Europe. It also removes restrictions on routes, prices and the number of flights allowed between the two sides. Similar access rights will be enjoyed by Canadian carriers to fly to the European market.

Airlines will also be able to launch new code-sharing agreements — which let them book passengers on one another's planes.

The deal is the most far-reaching and open aviation pact the EU has signed with a trade partner, and appears meant partly to pressure the United States to agree to upgrade its "open-skies" pact with the EU, which came into force earlier this year.

The EU-US deal still prevents European airlines from taking over U.S.-based airlines.

While the deal is likely to be good for more competitive airfares, it could spell trouble for Canada's two dominant airlines, Air Canada and its low-cost rival WestJet Airlines Ltd.

Air Canada went through bankruptcy earlier this decade, and when it emerged in 2004 it was losing customers to WestJet. The two airlines rely heavily on U.S.-bound routes.

The deal is estimated to bring economic benefits of at least euro72 million ($92.6 million) and more than 1,000 new jobs in its first year, the European Commission said. An EU study said an EU-Canada aviation pact could generate an additional 500,000 passengers a year on routes between Canada and the EU.
Finally!
KLM has already announced AMS-YYC 5x weekly service with A330-200s
Is AF to YVR next?
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #762
lvan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Wow.

Some Greek media keeps saying that OA may cut YYZ. I will find out more on that.....
lvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #763
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

I also heard that OA will cut YUL and JNB, but will keep YYZ and JFK as their only two remaining longhaul destinations....

we'll see...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #764
lvan
BANNED

It will be a tough call. The loads are not much worse in YUL, and Toronto is expensive as hell to land at lol. Than there is that Greek management team that can create some scary moves lol. I just wish them all the best.
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #765
yyzhyd

Qatar Airways Hosts Inaugural Oryx Awards in Canada

Just a few more months to finalize the Bilateral, then...

"DOHA, Qatar, Dec 12, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Qatar Airways kicked off its inaugural Oryx Awards in downtown Toronto celebrating the achievements of key travel partners across Canada..."

"...Canada is one of Qatar Airways' biggest offline markets and we are extremely delighted to have won the support and backing of the travel industry in what is a vibrant travel market. We look forward to strengthening our relationship with existing travel partners, and forging new partnerships as we grow our business in this highly influential part of North America..."

Link to press release:
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...2D05076819A%7D
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #766
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for the Update

Looking forward to Qatar in TO. I am moving back home as of January and looking forward to many new travels.

Wondering what will happen since I just read that S. Korea is also on the list of Bilaterals that have been or recently negotiated.
TObermuda37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #767
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Aeroflot is axing its Toronto route in March. There are no more direct flights from Toronto and Russia, after Transaero also went the same way last year.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #768
yyzer

It seems bizarre that Aeroflot would suspend their YYZ ops - they are always full....although it could be true, this news is not official yet.....

Also, Transaero are apparently coming back to YYZ effective Apr 1/09...
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #769
lvan
BANNED

^ Transaero used to be present only at YUL? Right? How come we have them in Pearson?
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #770
yyzer

Transaero flew to both YUL and YYZ for the last 2 years....in the fall they suspended ops to both cities....but now it looks like they will be coming back effective April....1 x's weekly to YUL and 2 x's weekly to YYZ, all flown with 767s...
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #771
globetrekker

Can we start a list of new airlines that have started flying into YYZ and new ones which will start within in next three years? I'll begin.

Airlines that began flying to Toronto within the past two years are: Emirates|Etihad|Icelandair|LAN Chile....did I miss any?

Airlines which will begin service to Toronto within the following three years are: Air China|Turkish Airlines|Hainan Airlines(??)
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #772
yyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
Can we start a list of new airlines that have started flying into YYZ and new ones which will start within in next three years? I'll begin.

Airlines that began flying to Toronto within the past two years are: Emirates|Etihad|Icelandair|LAN Chile....did I miss any?

Airlines which will begin service to Toronto within the following three years are: Air China|Turkish Airlines|Hainan Airlines(??)
I think you can add Jet Airways of India to the list of airlines who began flying to YYZ in the past two years...also, Aeromexico will be starting daily scheduled service in about a month..

Predicting new airlines is notoriously hard...you might see Air China, maybe, and Turkish will definitely add YYZ, but that is dependent on a new bilateral air agreement, which may or may not happen...

I don't think you will see Hainan here.

Other carriers which may begin service would be Copa Panama, Iberia Airlines of Spain, Qatar (as yyzhyd mentioned, also dependent on a new bilateral)...Egyptair would probably start if given the route authority (new bilateral required again)..

or with the current world economic situation, maybe none...who knows?
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #773
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

Air China is coming to YYZ in March, it's for sure. They will be coming once their 787s are ready.
Hainan dropped YYZ in favour of Chicago O'Hare.
I feel that some Carribean airlines will also want to come here.
and if bilateral agreement with Korea is signed, like some people predict here, Asiana might be interested in YYZ.
As for economic situation, I think they only reduce leisure travelers, business travel is probably not as affected, all the Asian carriers (CA, Jetstar, OZ) will be relying on business travel for their profits, also oil price is at all times low, a good opportunity for expansion.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #774
globetrekker

I forgot to add Lufthansa's second service to YYZ from Dusseldorf.

I forgot about Aeromexico. Thanks for adding that.

Asiana would be nice.
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #775
YYZplanner

Hey guys,

Toronto airport has reduced its landing fees by 25% which started on the first of january, 2009. What airlines can we expect to come besides air china, aeromexico, turkish airlines, maybe qatar airlines, and maybe eqypt air? Any other from the middle east or africa, or more flights from or to there?
YYZplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #776
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Likes (Received): 12

Really? That's good, are we cheaper than NRT now? I always found it funny ( in a schadenfreude kinda way) that I was flying between the top two most expensive airports for landing fees.
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #777
yyzhyd

Speculating on airlines while fun should be based on more than "they have a cool livery or cool airplane or people from xyz live here"
That said here's my on the predictions made here

QR => Expect announcement on bilateral soon... Daily DOH-YYZ service will hit EK as QR will benefit from being closely aligned with Star Alliance (future member) thus allowing pax to accrue aeroplan miles.

TK => I am not convinced they can get more than just VFR traffic ex-YYZ. They may be happy to let AC and LH funnel them traffic at FRA.

CA => Until Canada is designated a "preferred destination" by Chinese Govt. this is on hold.

MS => Very unlikely unless they operate it as a tag-on to the current CAI-YUL flight.

KE => With new bilateral and tons of business traffic this will be upgraded to Daily ICN-YYZ... pending the status of the "global financial crisis"

IB => The Spain - Canada market is thin, so unless they see AC making some serious money this is unlikely.

Just as an FYI:
AY (Finnair) airplanes in addition to the usual summer charters from HEL, will be operating LGW-YYZ for a UK charter outfit... can't remember the name.
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #778
lvan
BANNED

There were some talks regarding Spain and Canada. If there is anything to progress, it will be AC with 767-200. Quite similar when AC started YYZ-FCO with 762 that was upgraded to 763 when the route progressed.
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:28 AM   #779
yyzer

couple of things....

Quote:
Air China is coming to YYZ in March, it's for sure. They will be coming once their 787s are ready.
The Boeing 787 has had significant delays in production....entry into service for launch customer Air New Zealand has been pushed back to early 2013...so you won't be seeing them anytime soon with Air China...also, as yyzhyd said, without an Approved Destination Status for Canada, it's pretty unlikely that CA will restart their YYZ route, no matter what the equipment ..

Regarding AC using 767-200s to Spain...AC has removed the 762 from their fleet, and parked them in the desert....they no longer exist in AC's fleet...

regards,
yyzer
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM   #780
yyzhyd

Slight correction ANA not ANZ is the launch customer for the 787.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto