daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2007, 09:01 PM   #61
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Air Canada's HQ is in Montreal due to an outdated law. Basically they MUST stay in YUL by law - otherwise I'm sure they'd be in YYZ faster than you could say shit-on-a-stick.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:04 PM   #62
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2593

They should make a subway station at Pearson Airport and a line that connects to Kipling or Islington (whichever is closer).
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM   #63
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Air Canada's HQ is in Montreal due to an outdated law. Basically they MUST stay in YUL by law - otherwise I'm sure they'd be in YYZ faster than you could say shit-on-a-stick.
That's exactly the reason they're headquartered in Montreal. Yet another example of English Canada bending over backwards to please French Canada. Basically, Air Canada, being a former bilingual Crown Corporation had to be based in Quebec to apease the silly bilingual coporate laws at the time. Unfortunately for Air Canada, they didn't jump on the coporate exodus bandwagon during the 70's and are now somewhat stuck. The truth is that the vast majority of their operations are based out of Toronto but the back-office B.S. is still out of Montreal.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:35 AM   #64
p5archit

Likes (Received): 1

I guess it helps somewhat that most of Canada's aviation businesses are in Montreal/Quebec as well- but I do find it ridiculous that they are not allowed to leave there and relocate to Toronto..The same goes for Bell.

Anyways, did anyone see the arrival of the newest member of the AC fleet on the weekend? If not check the news- AC has received its first of 4 777's.

p5
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM   #65
globetrekker

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5archit View Post
Anyways, did anyone see the arrival of the newest member of the AC fleet on the weekend? If not check the news- AC has received its first of 4 777's.

p5
I've seen photos and videos of it. It'll be flying into Toronto on Thursday.
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:41 AM   #66
globetrekker

Have any of you heard of this proposed landmark at YYZ for Toronto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bEouZo8S4U It's interesting. I like the light - especially at night. The look of the light masts is..interesting, but I like the idea of having a landmark like this at the airport when you enter and exit. It would be especially interesting for visitors. I don't like the idea of having it in the terminal, but overall I believe something like this at YYZ is a great idea!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:19 PM   #67
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

I like it, but if they are going to rely on donations this will be a long time coming. Plus I'd first like to see some rapid expansion of amenities in pier F, seems like there arent enough restaurants, fast food or entertainment venues in the pier.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM   #68
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

and dont forget to take pics if you use the new pier!
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #69
k.r.eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzomoe View Post
I heavily second that, especially if you see a great line-up at the Hammerhead.
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #70
p5archit

globetrekker: thanks for posting that link to youtube- I hadn't heard anything about that until you posted it- or at least I don't recall hearing anything. All the same I like the idea, but it seems like a poor spot for it- sandwiched inbetween the 427, Dixon and Airport Rd just seems a little out of the way-. Could it be a linear array, as opposed to the forest grouping? I am not sure about its position, but I do like the idea-anything to add texture to the are is great, especially for night approaches...

p5
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #71
globetrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzomoe View Post
lol Will do!

You're right. Pier F is in need of some additional amenities. I'd also like to see them replace the bars surrounding BACARDI with frosted glass. The bars seem really out of place. But more restaurants and stores are desperately needed. I've written the GTAA about certain things concerning the terminal. I encourage other's to do the same. People are delayed for hours at a time in the pier and there just aren't enough amenities to choose from when one wants to entertain themselves or feed.

By the way, THE GATHERING was designed by Mark Sterling and Chris Hardwicke of &Co: www.andco.com

Last edited by globetrekker; April 4th, 2007 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Adding text
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #72
globetrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5archit View Post
globetrekker: thanks for posting that link to youtube- I hadn't heard anything about that until you posted it- or at least I don't recall hearing anything. All the same I like the idea, but it seems like a poor spot for it- sandwiched inbetween the 427, Dixon and Airport Rd just seems a little out of the way-. Could it be a linear array, as opposed to the forest grouping? I am not sure about its position, but I do like the idea-anything to add texture to the are is great, especially for night approaches...

p5
p5 - No problem. I guess their thinking was to place them at the airport's main place of entry. At first I thought it odd to place them there as well, but since that spot is barren, I don't think it would be such a bad idea. However, I do think it would be a good idea to have them placed at different spots throughout the airport lands. The first spot that came to mind was along the 401 where the current art displays are. What do you think? But would that confuse pilots when landing 33R/L???
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #73
k.r.eagle

Tilted Spheres

On the T1 artwork: I've recently seen some pics of the 'Tilted Spheres' piece in the Hammerhead: it looks like hundreds of people have been having a field day inscribing (?) messages and drawings in it.

Does anyone know if this was intentional (i.e. people expected to happen) or a surprise?
Are people actually carving into the piece or drawing on it? (i.e. can / will the markings be erased)?
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #74
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.r.eagle View Post
On the T1 artwork: I've recently seen some pics of the 'Tilted Spheres' piece in the Hammerhead: it looks like hundreds of people have been having a field day inscribing (?) messages and drawings in it.

Does anyone know if this was intentional (i.e. people expected to happen) or a surprise?
Are people actually carving into the piece or drawing on it? (i.e. can / will the markings be erased)?
Wow.. that really sucks - unless they wanted it to be that way, but I doubt it! Who in their right mind carves something on a 20-million dollar piece of art! Morons.

Can you post the pics of that here? I'm curious to see what a mess these people have made of a wonderful piece of abstract art.
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #75
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

what a bunch of children, no wonder toronto cant have nice things!

on a more positive note, heres a pic of Qatar airways advertising on the subway:
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #76
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Oh yea, they'll be hear momentarily! Here's to another gulf airline!

I'd be much more excited about JAL for example - I still don't understand why they don't have flights here.
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #77
k.r.eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Wow.. that really sucks - unless they wanted it to be that way, but I doubt it! Who in their right mind carves something on a 20-million dollar piece of art! Morons.

Can you post the pics of that here? I'm curious to see what a mess these people have made of a wonderful piece of abstract art.
Here are some links to the photos courtesy of flickr
http://flickr.com/photos/phronetic/433926902/
http://flickr.com/photos/phronetic/4...n/photostream/

And yes: can't wait to see some new colours at YYZ. Maybe bilateral agreements restrict JAL from YYZ or at least the # of flights they can run? I'm definately for more open skies like the recent US-Europe almost completed treaty.
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #78
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Wow.. WTF! That looks as bad as shit in European metro station - and this is the centrepiece of the international terminal at YYZ!!!!!!!! I'm surprised beyond belief the GTAA hasn't done SOMETHING to slap some hefty fines on whoever did that.
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #79
globetrekker

I went to the airport but there was no AC triple seven. It was a weird day. Normally, the larger jets land on runway 23 when runways 24R and 24L are in use. That's what I've noticed anyway. Only one jet landed on runway 23 today and it was an Air Jazz jet. An Air Canada A340 departed from runway 23 though. So I moved to another spot near runways 24R/L and medium sized jets (Embraer, McDonnell Douglas DC-9-51, 737, a319...) were landing. There weren't any heavies, at least when I was there. So, no photos dudes. Sorry. Air Canada's web site kept changing the arrival time for the 777, so it was difficult to figure out when to be there to catch it and I couldn't spend all day there. Another time.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #80
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I haven't read anything about Qatar Airways coming to YYZ. Are they planning on coming? They only fly to NY and DC right now it seems.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto