daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:19 AM   #821
YYZplanner

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks guys. Other than airlines, I was wondering if Pearson airport is still undergoing its construction at terminal 1? And if it has, are there any more construction plans ahead for making the airport bigger? Besides, Lufthansa has just added it's cargo to YYZ.
YYZplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM   #822
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
Besides, they're likely to fly to Montreal before coming to Toronto.
I assume you are correctly talking about Brussels Airlines....Ethiopian would definitely add YYZ before YUL...the Ethiopian expat population in Toronto is quite large, 3rd largest in North America I believe, whereas in Montreal, it is very small, less than 1000....ET have publicly stated on several occasions that they want to add Toronto...

Would love to see an African carrier at YYZ (finally!)...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM   #823
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZplanner View Post
Thanks guys. Other than airlines, I was wondering if Pearson airport is still undergoing its construction at terminal 1? And if it has, are there any more construction plans ahead for making the airport bigger? Besides, Lufthansa has just added it's cargo to YYZ.
The plans for expanding the airport are currently delayed. Due to the economic downturn, the construction of Pier G - US flights has been pushed back to 2010 or something like that. So, that is all the construction plans currently on hand that I am aware of.

There will be a few additions but I am sure there will be some service cuts also. Shall see how this all pans out with the current situation. Keep your eyes posted.
TObermuda37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #824
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Just a FYI, looks like Aeroflot is keeping the YYZ flights through the summer. The flights are showing up for bookings and will probably stop in winter 09/10.
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #825
yyzer

Looks like Air India will be increasing their flights to YYZ effective April/09, from the current 3 x's weekly to daily....here is the arrival sked from their website...(flights stop in London Heathrow enroute)..

Flight Number Sector Departure
(Local Time) Arrival
(Local Time) Aircraft Type Number of stops Days
AI187 London
Toronto 1340 1630 772 NonStop All days except: Thu Sun
AI187 London
Toronto 1425 1715 772 NonStop Sun
AI187 London
Toronto 1455 1745 772 NonStop Thu
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #826
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

KAL Increasing from 3 to 5 Weekly

Korean Airlines is increasing the flights to Toronto from the current 3 to 5. I have attached the link below for your information.

http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/200...oronto-in.html

Effective 29 Mar 09 it goes to 4 weekly and on 26 May 09 it goes to 5. The days of the addition flights will be Wednesday and Friday which goes up from the current Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Please note that this is for the Summer Season.

Last edited by TObermuda37; February 16th, 2009 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Missed some information
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #827
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
I assume you are correctly talking about Brussels Airlines....Ethiopian would definitely add YYZ before YUL...the Ethiopian expat population in Toronto is quite large, 3rd largest in North America I believe, whereas in Montreal, it is very small, less than 1000....ET have publicly stated on several occasions that they want to add Toronto...

Would love to see an African carrier at YYZ (finally!)...
You have one at YUL.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #828
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObermuda37 View Post
Korean Airlines is increasing the flights to Toronto from the current 3 to 5. I have attached the link below for your information.

Effective 29 Mar 09 it goes to 4 weekly and on 26 May 09 it goes to 5. The days of the addition flights will be Wednesday and Friday which goes up from the current Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Quote:
Also, with the start of summer timetable, the Skyteam member is operating Boeing 777-200ER, replacing 747-400
very good news.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #829
yyzer

a new Air Agreement between Canada and Costa Rica was announced today...should result in increased frequencies between YYZ and SJO on both AC and LR.....here's the news release....

For release - February 17, 2009

Canada and Costa Rica successfully conclude air transport agreement

OTTAWA — A newly reached Open Skies-type air transport agreement with Costa Rica is good news for travellers and Canadian businesses, announced Canada's Transport Minister, John Baird, and Minister of International Trade, Stockwell Day.

"This new agreement is a win-win for Canada's air travel industry and consumers," said Minister Baird. "This announcement is another example of our Government's commitment to forming partnerships with other countries, offering competitive airline prices to travellers and boosting our economy."

"This agreement will bring Canada and Costa Rica to a new level of economic co-operation," said Minister Day. "It will help create new jobs for our economy, expand market potential for our businesses and build connections for our citizens. This agreement is a another demonstration of our government's commitment to further engagement with the Americas."

The Canada-Costa Rica air transport agreement allows airlines to operate own–aircraft and code-sharing scheduled air services between any bilateral city–pairs. Code-sharing is a type of air service, which allows airline to sell seats in its name on the flights of another airline. This agreement also allows airlines greater flexibility in scheduling and pricing of flights. In conjunction with these services, airlines will also be permitted to sell services between each other's country and third countries.

The Canada-Cost-Rican air travel market has grown and is now of interest to many Canadian stakeholders. The rights contained in the new agreement are not immediately available, giving airlines of both countries time to consider opportunities and plan accordingly. The governments of both countries have committed to completing the agreement's implementation requirements to allowing the new rights to become available as early as possible.
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #830
Minna

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObermuda37 View Post

Any chance that they'll go daily, year-round (maybe when they get the 787 in it's fleet)?
Minna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #831
Minna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
That is very trhttp://www.skyscrapercity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=28561188ue. Some of hardcore business route will amaze you with their pax number in economy. There has to be some math.
What are the big business routes out of Toronto?

Despite the economic downturn, the banking/financial sector of Toronto (and Canada in general) is doing quite well. The big banks of Canada are in a great position and becoming global players, so I wonder if this will stimulate Toronto to become a bigger player in the business world.
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #832
p5archit

Likes (Received): 1

Good point about the banks..I would say that we will probably see a number of acquisitions by the BIG 3 in the US, which could almost certainly translate into more traffic at Pearson.

Nonetheless, I recently flew into Pearson and was amazed how dead the airport was at 4 PM - a few flights coming in from LA and Mexico, but generally it felt pretty depressing. I honestly never get the feeling that I am arriving at a destination, but rather I get the feeling like I landed "anywhere"...

p5
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #833
YYZplanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minna View Post
What are the big business routes out of Toronto?

Despite the economic downturn, the banking/financial sector of Toronto (and Canada in general) is doing quite well. The big banks of Canada are in a great position and becoming global players, so I wonder if this will stimulate Toronto to become a bigger player in the business world.
You know, I think, to answer a bit of your question, Canada has very big routes between here and the U.S. I think the busiest routes out of pearson would be the flights to the U.S. Imagine, just to the state of New York, Air Canada has 10 daily flights there, and all together including other airlines, it would probably add up to 15-20 flights daily out of toronto to New York.

Last edited by YYZplanner; February 28th, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
YYZplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:32 AM   #834
Minna

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5archit View Post
Good point about the banks..I would say that we will probably see a number of acquisitions by the BIG 3 in the US, which could almost certainly translate into more traffic at Pearson.

Nonetheless, I recently flew into Pearson and was amazed how dead the airport was at 4 PM - a few flights coming in from LA and Mexico, but generally it felt pretty depressing. I honestly never get the feeling that I am arriving at a destination, but rather I get the feeling like I landed "anywhere"...

p5
The Big 3 (I always thought it was the Big 5) are growing in the US over the last dozen years or so, snapping up pieces (such as RBC Bank's purchase of North Carolina-based Centura Banks in 2001 and re-acquiring Royal Bank of Trinidad and Tobago last year, TD Banknorth acquiring Waterhouse (1990's), New Jersey-based Commerce Bank (2007), CICB acquiring FirstCarribbean International Bank (2006), and Scotiabank's purchases (including a Chile bank).

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see how this translate to the business travel to and from Toronto down the line, and what markets open up.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM   #835
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minna View Post
The Big 3 (I always thought it was the Big 5) are growing in the US over the last dozen years or so, snapping up pieces (such as RBC Bank's purchase of North Carolina-based Centura Banks in 2001 and re-acquiring Royal Bank of Trinidad and Tobago last year, TD Banknorth acquiring Waterhouse (1990's), New Jersey-based Commerce Bank (2007), CICB acquiring FirstCarribbean International Bank (2006), and Scotiabank's purchases (including a Chile bank).

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see how this translate to the business travel to and from Toronto down the line, and what markets open up.
In terms of assets, the Canadian banks are dwarfed by their much larger international counterparts. It'll take a long long time and very aggressive acquisitions to make them into truly global players. Combining 3 of them into 1 won't even make them #1 in size globally.

That being said, we must also consider the flights going to New York are not using very large aircraft. We need to look at ASK figures moreso than purely the # of flights.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #836
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Dwarfed maybe a year ago. Now they're climbing quickly up the ranks, and their status will be hard to remove.

In the developed western world, Canadian banks will occupy, not the top spot, but they will be up there.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #837
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

AeroMexico introduces new service in Toronto

Written by Toronto Pearson International Airport

Wednesday, 04 March 2009

AeroMexico began service between Toronto and Mexico City on March 2, the first of its new daily, non-stop flights. Served by a Boeing 737, this new route has been called “an important part of AeroMexico’s growth strategy for 2009,” by Frank Galan, Vice President, U.S. Division of AeroMexico.
By connecting the two major cities which are linked both by business and tourism, another exciting opportunity for travel has been introduced to passengers.
Lloyd McCoomb, President and CEO of the GTAA said “we are always excited to welcome a new carrier into Toronto Pearson.” Mr. McCoomb was on hand to speak with the first passengers departing to Mexico City on March 3. He was joined by Ruberman Aldana and Mr. Galan of AeroMexico in greeting passengers and celebrating the new service.
Toronto is AeroMexico’s first Canadian destination. AeroMexico operates more than 300 daily flights to 40 destinations in Mexico, 14 destinations in the United States and service to 12 other countries worldwide.
The GTAA is pleased to welcome AeroMexico to Toronto Pearson.

Old March 8th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #838
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
In terms of assets, the Canadian banks are dwarfed by their much larger international counterparts. It'll take a long long time and very aggressive acquisitions to make them into truly global players. Combining 3 of them into 1 won't even make them #1 in size globally.

That being said, we must also consider the flights going to New York are not using very large aircraft. We need to look at ASK figures moreso than purely the # of flights.
Canadian Banks are not Dwarfed in assets actually over the last couple of years Canadian banks have been expanding like crazy and they are looked upon as the most stable banks in the world.

TD Financial Group alone has 570 billion in assets. The largest bank in the WORLD (HSBC) has assets at just around 4 trillion.

Clearly we are not dwarfed, TD Ranks as the top 20 largest banking groups in the world and RBC is quickly rising with over 600 billion in assets.

Last edited by ale26; March 8th, 2009 at 05:04 AM.
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #839
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale26 View Post
Canadian Banks are not Dwarfed in assets actually over the last couple of years Canadian banks have been expanding like crazy and they are looked upon as the most stable banks in the world.

TD Financial Group alone has 570 billion in assets. The largest bank in the WORLD (HSBC) has assets at just around 4 trillion.

Clearly we are not dwarfed, TD Ranks as the top 20 largest banking groups in the world and RBC is quickly rising with over 600 billion in assets.
4 trillion vs. 570 billion seems quite dwarfed to me. Being "stable" is not the same as being "big". While Canadian banks are acquiring small bits and pieces primarily in the US, other much larger banks are doing much sizeable M&A, such as Bank of America with ML. This type of activity is simply unthinkable in the Canadian banking industry.

Here's a ranking based on market capitalisation :

FACTBOX-World's biggest banks by market value
11 February 2009

SAO PAULO, Feb 11 (Reuters) - Latin American banks have weathered the storm that brought many global giants to their knees, but profits are expected to drop in 2009 because of higher defaults and slower growth in the region. (For complete story, click on [ID:nN11311274]).

Here is a list of some of the world's largest banks, ranked by market capitalization in U.S. dollars, and their share performance over the past 12 months.

Code:
 BANK                       MKT CAP     SHARE PERFORMANCE
HSBC                         $98.68 bln       -42.4 pct
JPMorgan                     $93.54 bln       -43.2 pct
Santander                    $61.39 bln       -44.7 pct
Goldman Sachs                $41.75 bln       -51.4 pct
Bank of America              $35.54 bln       -86.8 pct
UBS                          $33.89 bln       -61.4 pct
Itau                         $32.69 bln       -12.8 pct
Bradesco                     $30.18 bln       -25.3 pct
Lloyds                       $22.89 bln       -76.5 pct
Morgan Stanley               $22.34 bln       -51.1 pct
Citigroup                    $18.26 bln       -87 pct
ING                          $16.57 bln       -68.9 pct
Banco do Brasil              $16.16 bln       -47.3 pct
Deutsche Bank                $15.44 bln       -71.4 pct
Barclays                     $13.95 bln       -72.9 pct
RBS                          $13.79 bln       -92.1 pct
Unibanco                     $8.69 bln        -30.5 pct
Santander Chile              $6.68 bln         0.66 pct
Banorte <GFNORTEO.MX>        $2.88 bln

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #840
p5archit

Likes (Received): 1

I don't think Canada's banks are quite there yet, so I would tend to agree with hkskyline- however, if one looks at the present banking situation in the US and then at Canada, it is not hard to imagine that Canadian banks could make some sizable purchases in the US in the near future. Many Canadian banks, while hurt by the credit-crunch or whatever you wish to call it, weathered this initial storm quite well and have plenty o' cash to spend south of the border and are most certainly in the hunt. While I agree that they may not be comparable to say HSBC or ING or even RBS, they are making inroads.
Now, is this a good thing, not necessarily- a health banking industry is yes, but we are still getting gouged at the ATM and there really isn't too much competition, which is not great.

Anyways, back to GTAA - seems like there isn't much to report on these days besides airline agreements. No development news or construction updates? Anything?

Oh those damned high-speed moving walkways still do not work..

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto