daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #841
YYZplanner

Likes (Received): 0

Hey guys! I was wondering if Qatar airways is making its destination in toronto in september? I heard there was going to be qatar airlines joining star alliance then. And if it comes, do we expect other middle eastern carriers like gulf air, kuwait airways, royal jordanian, or eqypt air to make their arrivals at pearson? I was wondering if there are some connections between pearson and lebanon? So many labenese Canadians in toronto.
YYZplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #842
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZplanner View Post
Hey guys! I was wondering if Qatar airways is making its destination in toronto in september? I heard there was going to be qatar airlines joining star alliance then. And if it comes, do we expect other middle eastern carriers like gulf air, kuwait airways, royal jordanian, or eqypt air to make their arrivals at pearson? I was wondering if there are some connections between pearson and lebanon? So many labenese Canadians in toronto.
Not until the Bilateral Argeement is finalized... not sure why this is still delayed. Star Alliance membership is unlikely until 2010 IMHO.
YYZPlanner It seems you're enamoured with the ME carriers but other than Qatar Airways, I highly doubt you will see any of them in YYZ soon especially in the current economic climate.

With regard to the Lebanon - YYZ connections... you can any number of airlines one-stop from YYZ-BEY. (AF, AZ, OS, EK, EY, LH, MA, OK, and OA)
AC did attempt to start a YUL-BEY non-stop a few years ago but was reportedly "pressured" by the US to abandon their plans.
Also, there really isn't a lot of Lebanese in Toronto... at least not enough to warrant a non-stop to BEY.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #843
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

I was just reading YYZ News and they are saying that THY has stated they are starting service in May pending the bilateral agreement. Can anyone verify this as I have not seen or read this anywhere. This was kind expected but it has been ongoing for quite some time.
TObermuda37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #844
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

Quote:
Fly Etihad!!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #845
globetrekker

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../11/c8024.html

TORONTO, March 11 /CNW/

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (the
"GTAA") reported its financial and operating results for the fiscal year
ending December 31, 2008 today. A total of 32.3 million passengers were
processed at Toronto Pearson International Airport in 2008, a 2.8% increase
over 2007.
For the twelve months ended December 31, 2008, the GTAA reported total
revenues of $1.17 billion. Total operating expenses were $555.2 million,
including $140.6 million in ground rent paid to the federal government.
Revenues over operating expenses in 2008 were $617.3 million. After accounting
for debt service and amortization, the GTAA recorded revenues under expenses
of $45.9 million for the year, compared to revenues under expenses of $44.0
million in 2007. The excess of expenses over revenues was anticipated due to
the amortization of airport facilities, a non-cash expense which is not
recovered from the airlines operating at Toronto Pearson.
During the 3-month period ended December 31, 2008, the GTAA recorded
revenues under expenses of $51.4 million. Due to seasonal patterns in air
traffic and operating expenses, expenses typically exceed revenues in the
fourth quarter of each year. However this was exacerbated in 2008 because in
the fourth quarter of 2008 the GTAA recorded a $29.1 million reduction in the
estimated fair value of the Asset Backed Commercial Paper that it holds. Also,
Airport activity in the fourth quarter of 2008 exhibited weakness when
compared to growth rates earlier in the year and in the comparable period in
Results for 2007 include receivable recoveries of $13.1 million and $16.2
million of net revenues identified as part of the annual reconciliation of
Airport Improvement Fee revenues and passenger volumes. When adjusted for
these events, the 2008 revenue over operating expenses would show a $35.8
million improvement over the 2007 results.
The full-year 2008 results include a $52.7 million impairment charge in
respect of the Asset Backed Commercial Paper held by the GTAA as at December
31, 2008, compared to the $37.2 million provision taken in 2007.
To fund the development programs and other capital programs and to repay
maturing debt, the GTAA issued $825 million in medium term notes during 2008.
Debt repayments totaled $735 million during the year.
It is anticipated that Airport activity in 2009 will be below that of
2008 and the GTAA has developed a comprehensive plan to manage the effects of this traffic downturn. Within this context, the focus of the GTAA continues to be on competitiveness, growing the Airport's status as an international gateway and ensuring the long-term success of the organization, our partners and the regional economy.
The 2008 financial results of the GTAA are discussed in more detail in
the Consolidated Financial Statements of the GTAA for the years ended December 31, 2008 and 2007 and Management's Discussion and Analysis which are available at www.gtaa.com and on the Canadian Securities Administrators' website at
www.sedar.com.
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #846
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Emirates Upgrading YYZ to A380 effective June 1

big news for Toronto area spotters....

Emirates Airline Makes Canadian Aviation History With Arrival of First Scheduled Airbus A380 Service to Toronto

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(March 16, 2009) -

One hundred years after the first manned flight in Canada, Canadian aviation history again will be made when an Emirates airline Airbus A380 lands at Pearson International Airport in Toronto on June 1, 2009. The airline's double-decker aircraft will be the first to enter the Canadian market.

"We are extremely pleased to provide the A380 for our Dubai-Toronto service, which has had consistently strong demand since the three-times weekly route was launched in October, 2007," said Emirates President Tim Clark. "In fact, the demand has been so high it will only allow Emirates to address some of the unmet need of the Toronto market," he added.

"The launch of the Dubai-Toronto A380 service means we will continue to invest in Canada, one of our most important markets. Our inaugural A380 flight to Toronto comes just after the hiring of Emirates' 500th Canadian employee. Our Canadian employees are in Canada and Dubai in positions ranging from management to pilots to cabin crew and engineers," Mr. Clark said.

"Despite the current economic difficulties, this is good news for the Canadian economy. We believe you need a long-term view. By adding this new ultra-efficient aircraft to Toronto, we are increasing trade and tourism capacity, but the three flights a week restriction remains a disappointment. We believe Toronto needs a daily A380 service and progressively, a second daily service with an aircraft like the 777," he added.

Dubai has been one of Canada's fastest growing export markets in recent years and Emirates has been lobbying for additional access to Toronto for a decade. Emirates has also indicated its interest in providing direct flights from Dubai to Calgary and Vancouver given the serious potential it sees for those markets.

The airline remains hopeful that the Canadian government will allow additional service to Canada to meet the demand for passenger and cargo traffic. This request is consistent with the government's Blue Sky policy on air liberalization, supported by several provincial and municipal governments and dozens of business and tourism stakeholders across Canada.

"The inaugural flight represents a significant milestone for Emirates' Toronto-Dubai service. Passengers are in for a treat when they fly on the Emirates A380. The aircraft features shower spas in the First Class cabin, an onboard lounge and our services include an extensive menu of multi-course meal options, created by top international chefs as well as our award-winning inflight entertainment product "ICE", with over 1200 channels of entertainment, sms and email facilities as well as seat-to-seat calling," said Nigel Page, Emirates Senior Vice President, Commercial Operations The Americas.

Emirates' A380s have a range of up to 15,000 kilometres and offer better fuel economy per passenger kilometre than most hybrid passenger cars. The A380 is also quieter - both inside and outside of the cabin - generating less than half the noise of other aircraft on take off.

The aircraft represents the latest example of innovation and technology from a company that has already won hundreds of international awards for in-flight amenities and services.

To view a photo of the Emirates A380, please visit the following link:

http://www.marketwire.com/library/20090316-A380a.jpg

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Emirates Airline
Olga Petrycki
(416) 360-6522 ext. 226 or Cell: 416-427-0697
Email: [email protected]
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #847
yyzhyd

Finally they officially announce the news!

This was "predicted" by me in Sept 07
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=237
and "confirmed" Dec. 07
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=278

Link to article: http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ne-961585.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
big news for Toronto area spotters....

Emirates Airline Makes Canadian Aviation History With Arrival of First Scheduled Airbus A380 Service to Toronto

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(March 16, 2009) -

One hundred years after the first manned flight in Canada, Canadian aviation history again will be made when an Emirates airline Airbus A380 lands at Pearson International Airport in Toronto on June 1, 2009. The airline's double-decker aircraft will be the first to enter the Canadian market.

"We are extremely pleased to provide the A380 for our Dubai-Toronto service, which has had consistently strong demand since the three-times weekly route was launched in October, 2007," said Emirates President Tim Clark. "In fact, the demand has been so high it will only allow Emirates to address some of the unmet need of the Toronto market," he added.

"The launch of the Dubai-Toronto A380 service means we will continue to invest in Canada, one of our most important markets. Our inaugural A380 flight to Toronto comes just after the hiring of Emirates' 500th Canadian employee. Our Canadian employees are in Canada and Dubai in positions ranging from management to pilots to cabin crew and engineers," Mr. Clark said.

"Despite the current economic difficulties, this is good news for the Canadian economy. We believe you need a long-term view. By adding this new ultra-efficient aircraft to Toronto, we are increasing trade and tourism capacity, but the three flights a week restriction remains a disappointment. We believe Toronto needs a daily A380 service and progressively, a second daily service with an aircraft like the 777," he added.

Dubai has been one of Canada's fastest growing export markets in recent years and Emirates has been lobbying for additional access to Toronto for a decade. Emirates has also indicated its interest in providing direct flights from Dubai to Calgary and Vancouver given the serious potential it sees for those markets.

The airline remains hopeful that the Canadian government will allow additional service to Canada to meet the demand for passenger and cargo traffic. This request is consistent with the government's Blue Sky policy on air liberalization, supported by several provincial and municipal governments and dozens of business and tourism stakeholders across Canada.

"The inaugural flight represents a significant milestone for Emirates' Toronto-Dubai service. Passengers are in for a treat when they fly on the Emirates A380. The aircraft features shower spas in the First Class cabin, an onboard lounge and our services include an extensive menu of multi-course meal options, created by top international chefs as well as our award-winning inflight entertainment product "ICE", with over 1200 channels of entertainment, sms and email facilities as well as seat-to-seat calling," said Nigel Page, Emirates Senior Vice President, Commercial Operations The Americas.

Emirates' A380s have a range of up to 15,000 kilometres and offer better fuel economy per passenger kilometre than most hybrid passenger cars. The A380 is also quieter - both inside and outside of the cabin - generating less than half the noise of other aircraft on take off.

The aircraft represents the latest example of innovation and technology from a company that has already won hundreds of international awards for in-flight amenities and services.

To view a photo of the Emirates A380, please visit the following link:

http://www.marketwire.com/library/20090316-A380a.jpg

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Emirates Airline
Olga Petrycki
(416) 360-6522 ext. 226 or Cell: 416-427-0697
Email: [email protected]

Last edited by yyzhyd; March 16th, 2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added link to article
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #848
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Wonderful!!!!!! Strange how the A380 never visited Toronto but went to Vancouver and Montreal. Now Toronto is the first Canadian city with scheduled A380 service.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #849
yyzer

Quote:
This was "predicted" by me in Sept 07
You called it, yyzhyd! Now we are eagerly awaiting news of Qatar...

I also read on another forum that Air India will deploy the 777-300ER to YYZ this summer, "pending demand"....another prediction of yours that I hope comes true...

I do not understand why there has been no official announcement by the Canadian government regarding the Open Skies deal with South Korea, which Korea announced on Nov 21/08....I realize we have a new Transport Minister, but it should have been announced by now...KE have already loaded flight frequencies into both YVR and YYZ that are way beyond what was allowed before, so something must be in effect...in addition, Asiana asked for and received permission for a scheduled cargo flight to YHZ - so what's up?

Finally, someone on airliners stated a while back that the Turkish foreign minister is headed to Ottawa on March 23rd....to sign the new bilateral?
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #850
YYZplanner

WOW!!!!!! Emirates A380 will now come to Toronto!!! Do we expect to see the amount of flights by emirates to increase daily now given the economic situation? Also, will this increase the flights to the UAE from Canada by both carriers- Etihad airways and Emirates airlines? By the way thanks YYZhyd for that helpful information on Qatar and me carriers.

Quote:

I also read on another forum that Air India will deploy the 777-300ER to YYZ this summer, "pending demand"....another prediction of yours that I hope comes true...

I do not understand why there has been no official announcement by the Canadian government regarding the Open Skies deal with South Korea, which Korea announced on Nov 21/08....I realize we have a new Transport Minister, but it should have been announced by now...KE have already loaded flight frequencies into both YVR and YYZ that are way beyond what was allowed before, so something must be in effect...in addition, Asiana asked for and received permission for a scheduled cargo flight to YHZ - so what's up?

Finally, someone on airliners stated a while back that the Turkish foreign minister is headed to Ottawa on March 23rd....to sign the new bilateral?
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #851
YYZplanner

From what I have read, Turkish airlines will be arriving at Pearson on May 19, 2009, pending government approval. That's all. Also, from what I've read, United airlines will be resuming their flights from toronto- sanfrancisco route effective june 4, 2009.

Quote:

Old March 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #852
yyzhyd

Quote:
From what I have read, Turkish airlines will be arriving at Pearson on May 19, 2009, pending government approval. That's all. Also, from what I've read, United airlines will be resuming their flights from toronto- sanfrancisco route effective june 4, 2009.
This has been pending for many many years... LOL.
If it happens by May I will be shocked!
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #853
yyzhyd

Quote:
Do we expect to see the amount of flights by emirates to increase daily now given the economic situation? Also, will this increase the flights to the UAE from Canada by both carriers- Etihad airways and Emirates airlines?
You're welcome YYZPlanner.
Emirates is upgauging from the B77W to the A380 precisely because they cannot increase the frequency of flights.
In 2002 Emirates was offered 6 weekly flights as part of the Canada-UAE bilateral agreement. They insisted on 7 or "nothing"... Etihad then swooped in and took 3 of the 6 frequencies. Emirates decided that they better use the remaining three frequencies or they would be shut out of the Canadian Market.
That means neither EK nor EY can increase their frequencies from the current three to Canada.
As much as I like flying EK (I just flew to Dubai and back twice in the last two months with them) they are a predatory carrier much like SQ.
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #854
YYZplanner

Thanks yyzhyd, just some more questions. Wouldn't emirates and etihad both withdraw their flights from toronto since they are only getting 3 each a week, and also expensive for them? Also, since there is a new management team at pearson airport I heard, would they now be willing to negotiate more with the UAE carriers in the amount of flights- It would also be better for the economy since there is more revenue coming in. I read on gtaa.com that the parson airport manager was looking foreward to working with emirates in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
You're welcome YYZPlanner.
Emirates is upgauging from the B77W to the A380 precisely because they cannot increase the frequency of flights.
In 2002 Emirates was offered 6 weekly flights as part of the Canada-UAE bilateral agreement. They insisted on 7 or "nothing"... Etihad then swooped in and took 3 of the 6 frequencies. Emirates decided that they better use the remaining three frequencies or they would be shut out of the Canadian Market.
That means neither EK nor EY can increase their frequencies from the current three to Canada.
As much as I like flying EK (I just flew to Dubai and back twice in the last two months with them) they are a predatory carrier much like SQ.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #855
yyzhyd

Quote:
Thanks yyzhyd, just some more questions. Wouldn't emirates and etihad both withdraw their flights from toronto since they are only getting 3 each a week, and also expensive for them? Also, since there is a new management team at pearson airport I heard, would they now be willing to negotiate more with the UAE carriers in the amount of flights- It would also be better for the economy since there is more revenue coming in. I read on gtaa.com that the parson airport manager was looking foreward to working with emirates in the future.
No chance of either EK or EY withdrawing flights.
Pearson's management (i.e. GTAA) has absolutely no say in the bilateral negotiations, that is the responsibility of the CTA.
CTA's interest is creating sustainable transportation policies for Canada and Canadian travellers.
GTAA's interest is increasing revenue at YYZ. Therefore more airlines/flights = more fees charged.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #856
YYZplanner

Thanks yyzhyd, but if CTA is creating sustainable travel plicies for the canadian travelers, I dont think they are doing their job. This is because Emiartes has a high demand in Toronto, and more flights a day would be making that demand less. Obviously, that demand comes from the canadian travelers, so wouldn't increasing more emirates flights a day be creating a sustainable travel policy for the canadian travelers. Evan if it was 1 daily flight a day from emirates?
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #857
yyzhyd

Quote:
Thanks yyzhyd, but if CTA is creating sustainable travel plicies for the canadian travelers, I dont think they are doing their job. This is because Emiartes has a high demand in Toronto, and more flights a day would be making that demand less. Obviously, that demand comes from the canadian travelers, so wouldn't increasing more emirates flights a day be creating a sustainable travel policy for the canadian travelers. Evan if it was 1 daily flight a day from emirates?
I think you answered your own question...
Emirates has a high demand... but for what? Mainly Canada-South Asia traffic.
How does giving Emirates more flights help Canada or the countries of South Asia?
In terms of offering the traveller choice to South Asia you can fly with one stop to India using any of the following: AF, AI, AY, AZ, BA, CO, CX, DL, LY, EK, EY, FI, KE, KL, LH, SU, and 9W. (plus probably a few others that I missed)

IMO the maximum flights allowed from UAE to YYZ should be increased to 7max, with a maximum of 21 weekly to Canada thus allowing YVR and possibly YYC daily flights. How those frequencies are split between the various UAE carriers is up to the UAE transport authorities.
Carriers like EK and SQ, are predatory and are only looking to skim off the lucrative top without giving anything in return.
Just look at SQ's recent history, Canada last year agreed to allow almost unlimited Singapore-Canada nonstop flights... but SQ insisted on increases to their SIN-ICN-YVR frequencies... where they could capture the premium Seoul-Vancouver passengers. Canada rightfully said no and have recently concluded an "open-skies" agreement allowing unlimited non-stop flights between S. Korea and Canada.

Now if Emirates was willing to allow AC to pick up passengers originating in Dubai and fly them to Delhi for example as part of a YYZ-DXB-DEL flight then I am sure the CTA would have no objection to giving EK more flights to Canada. But UAE/EK is unwilling to allow such competition.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #858
YYZplanner

Thnaks for that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
I think you answered your own question...
Emirates has a high demand... but for what? Mainly Canada-South Asia traffic.
How does giving Emirates more flights help Canada or the countries of South Asia?
In terms of offering the traveller choice to South Asia you can fly with one stop to India using any of the following: AF, AI, AY, AZ, BA, CO, CX, DL, LY, EK, EY, FI, KE, KL, LH, SU, and 9W. (plus probably a few others that I missed)

IMO the maximum flights allowed from UAE to YYZ should be increased to 7max, with a maximum of 21 weekly to Canada thus allowing YVR and possibly YYC daily flights. How those frequencies are split between the various UAE carriers is up to the UAE transport authorities.
Carriers like EK and SQ, are predatory and are only looking to skim off the lucrative top without giving anything in return.
Just look at SQ's recent history, Canada last year agreed to allow almost unlimited Singapore-Canada nonstop flights... but SQ insisted on increases to their SIN-ICN-YVR frequencies... where they could capture the premium Seoul-Vancouver passengers. Canada rightfully said no and have recently concluded an "open-skies" agreement allowing unlimited non-stop flights between S. Korea and Canada.

Now if Emirates was willing to allow AC to pick up passengers originating in Dubai and fly them to Delhi for example as part of a YYZ-DXB-DEL flight then I am sure the CTA would have no objection to giving EK more flights to Canada. But UAE/EK is unwilling to allow such competition.
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:56 AM   #859
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Deal is done for Turkey. Won't be long before THY is flying here.

Link: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../20/c2896.html

Attention News Editors:

Canada and Turkey successfully conclude air transport agreement
OTTAWA, March 20 /CNW Telbec/ - For the first time, an air transport
agreement is in place to allow scheduled flights to operate between Canada and
the Republic of Turkey. Today, Canada's Transport Minister, John Baird,
announced the successful conclusion of an air transport agreement between the
two countries.
"Scheduled air services with Turkey would benefit Canada's tourism and
provide more convenience to travellers," said Minister Baird. "As one of our
Government's objectives under the Blue Sky policy, this will help increase
competitiveness for air travel."
The agreement provides rights that will allow airlines initially to
operate passenger and/or all-cargo air services with discretion to choose
routings and the cities in each other's territory to serve. Airlines will also
have flexibility in the setting of their prices allowing them to react quickly
to changing market conditions.
"By allowing the creation of new routes, this agreement will help
Canadian businesses accessing market opportunities in Turkey, while
strengthening our relationship with this long-standing and important partner,"
said the Honourable Stockwell Day, Minister of International Trade and
Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway.
Turkish Airlines intends to introduce non-stop flights between Istanbul
and Toronto this summer. Air Canada is reviewing the air rights now available
with a view to determining their possible use with airline alliance partners.
Canada's Blue Sky policy encourages competition and the development of
new and expanded international air services to benefit Canadian travellers,
shippers, and the tourism and business sectors. In recent years, Canada has
successfully expanded agreements covering all of its most important markets
and plans to continue opening up new opportunities for the Canadian air
industry in 2009.

For further information: Ben Hamilton, Office of Transport Minister John
Baird, Ottawa, (613) 991-0700; Media Relations, Transport Canada, Ottawa,
(613) 993-0055; Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to news
releases and speeches at www.tc.gc.ca/e-news and keep up to date on the latest
from Transport Canada. This news release may be made available in alternative
formats for persons with visual disabilities.
TObermuda37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 01:38 AM   #860
yyzer

Fantastic news about the new bilateral agreement between Canada and Turkey!! I believe TK will initially serve YYZ 3 x's weekly....

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto