daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2009, 06:02 AM   #861
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

Emirates to pull A380 from NY routes on downturn

DUBAI, March 18 (Reuters) - Emirates airline said on Wednesday it would stop using Airbus A380 double-decker aircraft to fly passengers between Dubai and New York because demand for the route had been hit by the global recession.

The Dubai-based carrier said it would redeploy the two A380s it uses for two daily flights to New York onto routes between the emirate and Toronto and Bangkok, starting June 1.

"As the global economy has affected international air travel, this aircraft redeployment was based solely on a change in capacity demands in these three markets," an Emirates official said in a statement.

Emirates would use Boeing 777s for the Dubai-New York route, it said, adding the A380s would fly twice daily to Bangkok and three times a week to Toronto under the revised plan.

"The A380 will allow Emirates to address some of the unmet need in Toronto while on Bangkok, the A380 will help support the Thai government's new tourism initiatives," Emirates President Tim Clark said in a separate statement.

Gulf airlines had placed billion-dollar orders for planes from Airbus and rival Boeing Co, banking on regional economic growth to boost traffic through the hub linking East Asia, Europe and Africa.

The global financial crisis and slump in oil prices has drastically dimmed the prospects for growth in the Gulf region, where Dubai is suffering from a sharp real estate downturn.

Dubai is building a new airport with an ultimate passenger capacity of about 120 million people, almost 65 percent more than Atlanta International Airport, which had 90 million passengers in 2008 and is the world's busiest passenger airport.

Emirates has ordered 58 of the A380, the world's largest passenger aircraft, of which it was due to have five of the jumbo aircraft delivered by next month. Airbus is the plane making unit of European aerospace group EADS .

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM   #862
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Well I am indeed shocked!
But happy Turkey finally got this after so many years.
My guess is daily flights with the A332.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TObermuda37 View Post
Deal is done for Turkey. Won't be long before THY is flying here.

Link: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../20/c2896.html

Attention News Editors:

Canada and Turkey successfully conclude air transport agreement
OTTAWA, March 20 /CNW Telbec/ - For the first time, an air transport
agreement is in place to allow scheduled flights to operate between Canada and
the Republic of Turkey. Today, Canada's Transport Minister, John Baird,
announced the successful conclusion of an air transport agreement between the
two countries.
"Scheduled air services with Turkey would benefit Canada's tourism and
provide more convenience to travellers," said Minister Baird. "As one of our
Government's objectives under the Blue Sky policy, this will help increase
competitiveness for air travel."
The agreement provides rights that will allow airlines initially to
operate passenger and/or all-cargo air services with discretion to choose
routings and the cities in each other's territory to serve. Airlines will also
have flexibility in the setting of their prices allowing them to react quickly
to changing market conditions.
"By allowing the creation of new routes, this agreement will help
Canadian businesses accessing market opportunities in Turkey, while
strengthening our relationship with this long-standing and important partner,"
said the Honourable Stockwell Day, Minister of International Trade and
Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway.
Turkish Airlines intends to introduce non-stop flights between Istanbul
and Toronto this summer. Air Canada is reviewing the air rights now available
with a view to determining their possible use with airline alliance partners.
Canada's Blue Sky policy encourages competition and the development of
new and expanded international air services to benefit Canadian travellers,
shippers, and the tourism and business sectors. In recent years, Canada has
successfully expanded agreements covering all of its most important markets
and plans to continue opening up new opportunities for the Canadian air
industry in 2009.

For further information: Ben Hamilton, Office of Transport Minister John
Baird, Ottawa, (613) 991-0700; Media Relations, Transport Canada, Ottawa,
(613) 993-0055; Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to news
releases and speeches at www.tc.gc.ca/e-news and keep up to date on the latest
from Transport Canada. This news release may be made available in alternative
formats for persons with visual disabilities.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:11 AM   #863
YYZplanner

Likes (Received): 0

Hey Guyz, and what amazing information of Turkish Airlines starting in toronto Speaking of Gulf air, aren't they wasting their money on just one destination in North America which is New York? I mean, would they put toronto in their plans to increase their revenue on the amount of flights? Since Emirates A380 is now coming to toronto, wouldn't other airlines like ME carriers focus on toronto now? By the way, is gulf air a ME carrier?
YYZplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM   #864
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1041

hhhahahaha

I heard on airliners.net European carriers are going nuts when they heard EK bringing A380 to Pearson!
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:18 PM   #865
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1041

F Class seat $15 000 haha. This is insane.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:49 PM   #866
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Fantastic news about the new bilateral agreement between Canada and Turkey!! I believe TK will initially serve YYZ 3 x's weekly....
Seems you're right... the bilateral apparently only allows for 3x week passenger service. Interesting development indeed.
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #867
canuckbanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZplanner View Post
Hey Guyz, and what amazing information of Turkish Airlines starting in toronto Speaking of Gulf air, aren't they wasting their money on just one destination in North America which is New York? I mean, would they put toronto in their plans to increase their revenue on the amount of flights? Since Emirates A380 is now coming to toronto, wouldn't other airlines like ME carriers focus on toronto now? By the way, is gulf air a ME carrier?
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Bahrain and Canada currently have an air bilateral, which basically means no direct flights between the two. Although I'm not completely sure about this as I think I recall Canadian Airlines being a designated carrier for Bahrain services back in the 90's?

As for Qatar, I'm also pretty sure that a bilateral doesn't yet exist. In terms of other middle eastern countries, I think many of the bilaterals in place are horribly outdated and still name Montreal as the only allowed point of service in Canada. For instance (according to the cta list of bilaterals), Saudi Arabian airlines can only fly to Montreal (via New York if they wish). Until outdated bilaterals are updated and new ones created where they didn't exist previously I don't see a rush of middle-eastern carriers into Toronto. The ones who can serve Toronto either currently do (Etihad, Emirates, El Al) or have decided it is not in their best interests (eg Royal Jordanian, Kuwaiti Airlines, etc.)

As a side note, great news about Turkish Airlines. That office on University Ave has been there as long as I can remember.
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #868
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckbanana View Post
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Bahrain and Canada currently have an air bilateral, which basically means no direct flights between the two. Although I'm not completely sure about this as I think I recall Canadian Airlines being a designated carrier for Bahrain services back in the 90's?

As for Qatar, I'm also pretty sure that a bilateral doesn't yet exist. In terms of other middle eastern countries, I think many of the bilaterals in place are horribly outdated and still name Montreal as the only allowed point of service in Canada. For instance (according to the cta list of bilaterals), Saudi Arabian airlines can only fly to Montreal (via New York if they wish). Until outdated bilaterals are updated and new ones created where they didn't exist previously I don't see a rush of middle-eastern carriers into Toronto. The ones who can serve Toronto either currently do (Etihad, Emirates, El Al) or have decided it is not in their best interests (eg Royal Jordanian, Kuwaiti Airlines, etc.)

As a side note, great news about Turkish Airlines. That office on University Ave has been there as long as I can remember.
I thought TK was already here...why did they keep an office if they don't fly here?
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #869
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

With all that capacity from UAE carriers, especially the upcoming A380 service, I doubt there will be a rush of Middle Eastern carriers coming to Toronto. Emirates is simply a predator competitor with a huge barrier to entry and I suspect they will eat up the traffic and have people transit in Dubai instead.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #870
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

rumours that Zoom Airlines will be reincarnated soon as XPO Airlines...apparently they are already advertising for flight crew...base will be YYZ....
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #871
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
rumours that Zoom Airlines will be reincarnated soon as XPO Airlines...apparently they are already advertising for flight crew...base will be YYZ....
I have also heard rumours about Zoom making a return.

Apparently they will be operating 90% of the routes that Zoom Canada operated, none of the Zoom UK routes (ie the LGW base) will be started.

Good news for us here in Glasgow and ofcourse you guys in Toronto

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #872
yyzer

found a website....

http://www.flyxpo.com/
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:29 PM   #873
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Air Berlin - LCC (Low Cost Carrier)

They have applied and received the license to fly into Canada. Coincidentally, Open Skies goes into effect as of May 25 I believe with the EU. The most obvious location to fly too in Pearson as a large portion of German/German decendants live in KW.

Link: http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/decision-ru...28322&lang=eng

Decision No. 119-A-2009
March 27, 2009

APPLICATION by Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG carrying on business as Air Berlin pursuant to subsection 69(1) of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended, for a licence to operate a scheduled international service between points in the Federal Republic of Germany and points in Canada.

File No. M4212/A1093-4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG carrying on business as Air Berlin (applicant) has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for a licence to operate the service set out in the title. The application was complete on March 17, 2009.

The applicant has been designated by the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany, pursuant to the provisions of the Air Transport Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany signed on March 26, 1973, as amended (Agreement) to operate scheduled passenger services on the route(s) specified in the Agreement.

The applicant filed an affidavit attesting that within the twelve months preceding the filing of the application it did not contravene section 59 of the Canada Transportation Act (CTA) in that it has not sold, caused to be sold or publicly offered for sale in Canada transportation in respect of the applied for air service without holding the required licence. The applicant has also undertaken in respect of the air service applied for that it will not contravene section 59 of the CTA prior to the issuance of the applied for licence. The Agency is not aware of any evidence that the applicant contravened section 59 of the CTA within the preceding twelve months.

The Agency has reviewed the application and is satisfied that the applicant meets the requirements of subsection 69(1) of the CTA. The Agency is also satisfied that the pertinent terms and conditions of the Agreement have been complied with.

Accordingly, the Agency will issue to the applicant a licence to operate a scheduled international service between Canada and the Federal Republic of Germany.

Pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the CTA, the Agency deems it appropriate to include the terms and conditions set out below in the licence to be issued pursuant to this Decision.

The licence to be issued pursuant to this Decision shall be subject, in addition to the conditions prescribed by the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88-58, as amended (ATR), to the requirements to hold a Canadian aviation document issued by the Minister of Transport, and to have prescribed liability insurance coverage as set out in section 7 of the ATR, and to the following terms and conditions to which the licence is made subject pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the CTA:

1. The Licensee is authorized to operate scheduled international passenger-combination services on the route(s) set out in the Agreement.

2. The operation of the scheduled international service authorized herein shall be conducted subject to the provisions of the Agreement and to any applicable arrangements as may be agreed to between Canada and the Federal Republic of Germany.

3. Unless terminated at an earlier date in accordance with the CTA or the Agreement, this licence shall terminate at the termination or expiration of the Agreement, or upon the effective date of any amendment to the Agreement which shall have the effect of eliminating the rights herein authorized.

Members
J. Mark MacKeigan
Jean-Denis Pelletier, ing./P. Eng.
TObermuda37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:42 PM   #874
YYZplanner

WOW!!! So many airlines have already started this year or are coming to pearson- Aeromexico, Emirates A380 (coming), Turkish Airlines (coming), Air China (Supposed to come sometime soon), Qatar Airways (Supposed to come sometime in sep), and now Air Berlin Coming!!! Also, the amount of flights will also be increasing from toronto like Air India- going 1 daily soon, and Korean airlines (5 times weekly soon). Whats next, more flights or airlines? LOL.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM   #875
yyzer

I think its pretty certain that Cargolux (from Luxembourg) will be starting a scheduled weekly 747 cargo flight as well - commencing as early as April 19th...
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:58 PM   #876
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObermuda37 View Post
Air Berlin - LCC (Low Cost Carrier)

They have applied and received the license to fly into Canada. Coincidentally, Open Skies goes into effect as of May 25 I believe with the EU. The most obvious location to fly too in Pearson as a large portion of German/German decendants live in KW.

Link: http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/decision-ru...28322&lang=eng

Decision No. 119-A-2009
March 27, 2009

APPLICATION by Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG carrying on business as Air Berlin pursuant to subsection 69(1) of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended, for a licence to operate a scheduled international service between points in the Federal Republic of Germany and points in Canada.

File No. M4212/A1093-4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG carrying on business as Air Berlin (applicant) has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for a licence to operate the service set out in the title. The application was complete on March 17, 2009.

The applicant has been designated by the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany, pursuant to the provisions of the Air Transport Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany signed on March 26, 1973, as amended (Agreement) to operate scheduled passenger services on the route(s) specified in the Agreement.

The applicant filed an affidavit attesting that within the twelve months preceding the filing of the application it did not contravene section 59 of the Canada Transportation Act (CTA) in that it has not sold, caused to be sold or publicly offered for sale in Canada transportation in respect of the applied for air service without holding the required licence. The applicant has also undertaken in respect of the air service applied for that it will not contravene section 59 of the CTA prior to the issuance of the applied for licence. The Agency is not aware of any evidence that the applicant contravened section 59 of the CTA within the preceding twelve months.

The Agency has reviewed the application and is satisfied that the applicant meets the requirements of subsection 69(1) of the CTA. The Agency is also satisfied that the pertinent terms and conditions of the Agreement have been complied with.

Accordingly, the Agency will issue to the applicant a licence to operate a scheduled international service between Canada and the Federal Republic of Germany.

Pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the CTA, the Agency deems it appropriate to include the terms and conditions set out below in the licence to be issued pursuant to this Decision.

The licence to be issued pursuant to this Decision shall be subject, in addition to the conditions prescribed by the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88-58, as amended (ATR), to the requirements to hold a Canadian aviation document issued by the Minister of Transport, and to have prescribed liability insurance coverage as set out in section 7 of the ATR, and to the following terms and conditions to which the licence is made subject pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the CTA:

1. The Licensee is authorized to operate scheduled international passenger-combination services on the route(s) set out in the Agreement.

2. The operation of the scheduled international service authorized herein shall be conducted subject to the provisions of the Agreement and to any applicable arrangements as may be agreed to between Canada and the Federal Republic of Germany.

3. Unless terminated at an earlier date in accordance with the CTA or the Agreement, this licence shall terminate at the termination or expiration of the Agreement, or upon the effective date of any amendment to the Agreement which shall have the effect of eliminating the rights herein authorized.

Members
J. Mark MacKeigan
Jean-Denis Pelletier, ing./P. Eng.

They already fly DUS-YVR (seasonal)... looks more like a renewal of route authority not necessarily an indication they are starting a route to YYZ.

Interesting note is that LTU used to fly DUS-YYZ (seasonal) prior to Air Berlin's purchase. After the deal LH started the DUS-YYZ route and LTU/AirBerlin quickly dropped it from their schedule as they couldn't compete with LH.
But maybe they're ready to compete with LH on this route now.
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:13 PM   #877
globetrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZplanner View Post
...Qatar Airways (Supposed to come sometime in sep)....
Where did you hear this?
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:38 AM   #878
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
They already fly DUS-YVR (seasonal)... looks more like a renewal of route authority not necessarily an indication they are starting a route to YYZ.

Interesting note is that LTU used to fly DUS-YYZ (seasonal) prior to Air Berlin's purchase. After the deal LH started the DUS-YYZ route and LTU/AirBerlin quickly dropped it from their schedule as they couldn't compete with LH.
But maybe they're ready to compete with LH on this route now.
Maybe a route to Berlin?
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:07 AM   #879
YYZplanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
Where did you hear this?
Sorry, it was a predicment by YYZhyd in the past forums. It seems as though it was like he knew that it actually was coming. Because he also said that qatar should be on air alliance soon time in september as well.
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:37 AM   #880
canuckbanana

I'm not sure if this is new or if AC and TAP submit one of these every year, but could it indicate something happening soon? TAP has been in Star Alliance for a few years now and although there is no mention of any onward to other country codeshares, this would in essence allow TAP to fly Canadians to their extensive African network on their own flight numbers. Air Canada will likewise be able to carry Portuguese passengers onward from Canadian airports on AC codes.

The text is below. Link is here: http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/decision-ru...28325&lang=eng

Decision No. 122-A-2009

March 27, 2009

APPLICATION by Air Canada, on behalf of itself, Transportes Aéros Portugueses, S.A. carrying on business as TAP, S.A., TAP-Air Portugal, Air Portugal and TAP (TAP); Jazz Air LP, as represented by its general partner, Jazz Air Holding GP Inc. carrying on business as Air Canada Jazz, Jazz and Jazz Air (Jazz); and Portugália-Companhia Portuguesa de Transportes Aereos S.A. (Portugália), pursuant to section 60 of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended, and section 8.2 of the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88-58, as amended, for approval to permit the air carriers to provide their respective scheduled international services between Canada and Portugal by selling transportation in their own name on each other's and on Jazz's and Portugália's flights, commencing on March 29, 2009.

File No. M4835-2-59

Air Canada, on behalf of itself, TAP, Jazz and Portugália, has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for the approvals set out in the title. The application was complete on March 24, 2009.

Under Licence No. 090015, Air Canada is authorized to operate a scheduled international service in accordance with the Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Portuguese Republic on Air Transport initialled ad referendum on June 8, 2006 (Agreement).

Under Licence No. 975126, TAP is authorized to operate a scheduled international service in accordance with the Agreement.

Under the terms of the Agreement, code sharing between designated airlines and third-country carriers is permitted. That is, while providing services between Canada and Portugal, the designated airlines may code share on each other's flights, or on flights operated by a carrier of a third country.

The Agency has reviewed and considered the application and the material in support and is satisfied that it meets the requirements of section 8.2 of the Air Transportation Regulations (ATR).

With respect to the duration of the approvals requested, in light of the provisions of the Agreement, the Agency considers that a term of three years would be appropriate.

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 60(1)(b) of the CTA and section 8.2 of the ATR, approves the use by Air Canada of aircraft and flight crew provided by TAP and its affiliate Portugália, and the provision by TAP and its affiliate Portugália of such aircraft and flight crew to Air Canada, to permit Air Canada to provide its scheduled international services on licensed routes

between Canada and Portugal by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by TAP and its affiliate Portugália.

In addition, the Agency approves the use by TAP of aircraft and flight crew provided by Air Canada and Jazz, and the provision by Air Canada and Jazz of such aircraft and flight crew to TAP, to permit TAP to provide its scheduled international services on licensed routes between Portugal and Canada by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by Air Canada and Jazz.

These approvals are granted from March 29, 2009 to March 28, 2012 and are subject to the following conditions:

1. Air Canada and TAP shall continue to hold the required licence authorities.

2. Each carrier shall apply its published tariffs, in effect, to the carriage of its traffic. In particular, nothing in any commercial agreement between the air carriers relating to limits of liability shall diminish the rights of passengers as stated in such tariffs.

3. The air services approved shall only be provided as long as a code-sharing agreement providing for such services remains in effect.

4. Air transportation using Air Canada's code on flights operated by TAP and Portugália between intermediate points and points in Portugal shall not be sold separately and shall only be available to traffic carried on a continuous journey under Air Canada's code between Canada and Portugal. No local traffic may be carried under Air Canada's code between points in Portugal.

5. Air transportation using TAP's code on flights operated by Air Canada and Jazz between intermediate points and points in Canada shall not be sold separately and shall only be available to traffic carried on a continuous journey under TAP's code between Canada and Portugal. No local traffic may be carried under TAP's code between points in Canada.

Air Canada, TAP, Jazz and Portugália are reminded of the continuing requirement to comply with sections 8.2 and 8.5 of the ATR.

Air Canada, TAP, Jazz and Portugália are further reminded to provide the Agency with a copy of any new agreement or amendments to their commercial agreement, including any new or amended annex, without delay.

These approvals do not exempt Air Canada, TAP, Jazz and Portugália from the requirements of other legislative acts or regulations, including those of Transport Canada.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto