daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #961
canuckbanana

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Qatar... not sure what's taking so long.
I could be wrong, but I think Canada and Qatar need a bilateral signed first. I didn't see any details of one on the CTA website and after doing a google search have come up empty handed so I'm assuming there isn't one in existence.

As for the A380 leaving Toronto, I doubt it. EK has something like 58 of them on order and without a revised bilateral between Canada and the UAE I'm not sure there are another 29 (two A380s per route) destinations that EK would rather fly them to in place of Toronto. That being said, things change.

On a side note, I wonder how much Pearson is charging to land an A380?

I'm also wondering what the delay is in announcing the Canada-S Korea bilateral? Korean Airlines is apparently itching for scheduled daily service to Toronto.

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #962
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckbanana View Post
I could be wrong, but I think Canada and Qatar need a bilateral signed first. I didn't see any details of one on the CTA website and after doing a google search have come up empty handed so I'm assuming there isn't one in existence.

As for the A380 leaving Toronto, I doubt it. EK has something like 58 of them on order and without a revised bilateral between Canada and the UAE I'm not sure there are another 29 (two A380s per route) destinations that EK would rather fly them to in place of Toronto. That being said, things change.

I'm also wondering what the delay is in announcing the Canada-S Korea bilateral? Korean Airlines is apparently itching for scheduled daily service to Toronto.
Yeah the Canada-Qatar bilateral as per my understanding just needs to have the 't's crossed and the 'i's dotted. That I wonder what's taking so long.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #963
YYZplanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
What about Virgin Atlantic? Did they say that they were interested in restarting service to Toronto once they receive their 787s? Now with their orders of A330s to fill the gap until they receive their 787s, will they start flying to Toronto?
Hi globetrekker, I was reading somewhere on the internet, and the page I was reading said that Virgin Atlantic will be flying into Pearson by 2011. But with the economic downturn, that date could change, but it is said that Virgin Atlantic had put YYZ into their plans.
YYZplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #964
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZplanner View Post
Hi globetrekker, I was reading somewhere on the internet, and the page I was reading said that Virgin Atlantic will be flying into Pearson by 2011. But with the economic downturn, that date could change, but it is said that Virgin Atlantic had put YYZ into their plans.
Considering VS is dropping Chicago and cutting back to only 1 daily to Washington starting the Fall... tells me that Toronto is not really high on their list.
UK-Canada demand is strong but with so many players from Legacy to Low-Cost it's tough for VS to get a foothold.
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #965
canuckbanana

VS flew briefly to Toronto back in 2001 from LGW. From what I understand the flight had pretty poor yields and cutting the route was one of the first things VS did post 9/11.

I suppose an argument could be made for VS trying to start service from LHR (ie better connections with its African/Middle Eastern/South Asian services), but as yyzhyd said, Toronto-London is a very crowded market at the moment with AC, BA, AI, TS, Thomas Cook, and Flyglobespan (to YHM). Note that Zoom also used to operate YYZ-LGW before it went bankrupt.
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #966
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

well, this is just bizarre...Air Canada has been given permission to codeshare to both Iran and Syria - both countries with which Canada has no bilateral air services agreement....didn't know this was possible...

http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/decision-ru...28648&lang=eng

http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/decision-ru...28649&lang=eng
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #967
YYZplanner

Hi Guys and thanks for that info. Can anyone please tell me, why would an airline codeshare, when it could go direct? I mean, are there any pros for codesharing rather than going direct? By the way, good news to hear about AC allowed to codeshare between Syria and Iran.
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #968
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Codesharing allows passengers to book flights with AC even though they don't fly the aircraft. It broadens the reach and attracts passengers since they can book everything in 1-go on 1 ticket. For example, if I'm flying to Iran, chances are I won't book AC the whole way. I might want to book BA to London and then transfer to Iran Air, or go Emirates through Dubai. Now I can probably do it all in 1-shot with AC and fly them to London as well.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #969
canuckbanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
well, this is just bizarre...Air Canada has been given permission to codeshare to both Iran and Syria - both countries with which Canada has no bilateral air services agreement....didn't know this was possible...

I wonder if Air Canada has something specific planned? I also find it strange that both rulings specify "large and all-cargo aircraft". Does this mean it is only for cargo or are passengers allowed on large aircraft? I'm also curious as to what constitutes a large aircraft. Does this rule out AC codeshares on Austrian A320s from Vienna to Damascus?

In any case, it will be interesting to see what (if anything) comes out of this.
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #970
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post

This is temporary permission only... possibly to be put on TK and/or LH flights connecting via IST and/or FRA to places like DAM, IKA, MHD etc. as a trial run?
Let me do some digging...
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #971
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
This is temporary permission only... possibly to be put on TK and/or LH flights connecting via IST and/or FRA to places like DAM, IKA, MHD etc. as a trial run?
Let me do some digging...
Would the air services agreement cover codeshare where no actual planes from either side will fly the route out of / into Canada?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #972
yyzhyd

Couldn't find any further details on this and what freedoms are being utilized to accomodate this. I'll keep digging.

Other news:
Korean has increased frequency between Seoul and Toronto to daily.
Schedule below:

KE073
Depart Seoul (ICN) 9:20PM
Arrive Toronto (YYZ) 9:25PM

KE074
Depart Toronto (YYZ) 11:50PM
Arrive Seoul (ICN) 2:40AM + 2 days

Frequency: Daily non-stop
All flights operated by Boeing B777-200ER

Shame we lose another B747 flight into YYZ.
Old July 9th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #973
canuckbanana

The Korean Air increase appears to only be until October. It is probably a result of this application to transportion authority. Canada and Korea supposedly reached an agreement on open skies back in February however there have not been any official announcements by either government so there must be some nagging issue that hasn't been settled upon. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #974
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

They also charge on how long the aircraft is on Canadian soil. EK A380 stays for about six hours in YYZ. That is quite some time. The carriers from eastern Europe stay only 2 hours. That is the least amount. Disembarking and cleaning the equipment for the turn around flight back to Europe.

Quote:

YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #975
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

The inaugural Turkish Airlines flight to YYZ is today....currently showing enroute with an estimated arrival time of 1630.....welcome TK!!
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #976
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
They also charge on how long the aircraft is on Canadian soil. EK A380 stays for about six hours in YYZ. That is quite some time. The carriers from eastern Europe stay only 2 hours. That is the least amount. Disembarking and cleaning the equipment for the turn around flight back to Europe.
True ... how are their turnaround times at other cities? I imagine they can't do the 30-minute threshold that European budget carriers aim for.

Old July 12th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #977
yyzhyd

EK spends the excess time on the ground at YYZ is because that way the return flight hits the south asia connection bank in DXB. It's not a random thing nor a lack of aircraft service efficiency.

Additionally the AC codeshare to Syria & Iran is with BMI according to airline route blogspot.
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #978
YYZplanner

Quote:
EK spends the excess time on the ground at YYZ is because that way the return flight hits the south asia connection bank in DXB. It's not a random thing nor a lack of aircraft service efficiency.

Additionally the AC codeshare to Syria & Iran is with BMI according to airline route blogspot.
yyzhyd, it seems as though you have so much knowledge on these issues. I thank you for this info you are sharing with us. Anyways, it seems as though Ac is codesharing with BMI a lot now to codeshare to the middle east. We saw this with AC's permission to fly to Saudi also. They codeshared with BMI to fly into saudi- so whats up with BMI flights codesharing with AC into the middleast? Is there a good connection now with AC and BMI? or is it something else?
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #979
canuckbanana

AC and BMI are both members of Star Alliance. Since AC serves London Heathrow from Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver, there is a lot of AC traffic heading into BMI's hub. Since BMI took over Britannia (is that the correct airline or was it another one?) a couple years ago it started operating that airline's routes into the Middle East, Western Asia and Russia. The decision on whether or not to seek a codeshare agreement on certain routes will usually depend on whether there are actually enough transit passengers, in this case through Heathrow to the codeshare destination.

AC has similar codeshares with LH via Frankfurt.

Both BMI and LH have codeshares on AC operated flights across the atlantic too.
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #980
YYZplanner

Quote:
AC and BMI are both members of Star Alliance. Since AC serves London Heathrow from Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver, there is a lot of AC traffic heading into BMI's hub. Since BMI took over Britannia (is that the correct airline or was it another one?) a couple years ago it started operating that airline's routes into the Middle East, Western Asia and Russia. The decision on whether or not to seek a codeshare agreement on certain routes will usually depend on whether there are actually enough transit passengers, in this case through Heathrow to the codeshare destination.

AC has similar codeshares with LH via Frankfurt.

Both BMI and LH have codeshares on AC operated flights across the atlantic too.
Thanks, but how many times does Air Canada fly to LH from toronto a day or a week?

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto