daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #81
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.r.eagle View Post
Here are some links to the photos courtesy of flickr
http://flickr.com/photos/phronetic/433926902/
http://flickr.com/photos/phronetic/4...n/photostream/

And yes: can't wait to see some new colours at YYZ. Maybe bilateral agreements restrict JAL from YYZ or at least the # of flights they can run? I'm definately for more open skies like the recent US-Europe almost completed treaty.
Wow thats ridiculous! I cant believe how fast they have been ruined. The GTAA should just provide pieces of chalk and allow people to write on it, that way it can easily be washed off. It would be a cool concept, leaving your mark in Toronto as you head to your plane, but only if the artist agrees.
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #82
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen View Post
I haven't read anything about Qatar Airways coming to YYZ. Are they planning on coming? They only fly to NY and DC right now it seems.
thats the strange thing, why would you advertise an airline that doesnt even fly to toronto on the ttc?
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #83
p5archit

Likes (Received): 1

A little off topic here, and I have mentioned this before, but having recently used Pearson lately, does anyone else feel that the lack of colour in the airport makes it kind of sterile-maybe even hospital like? I would have thought that they would have incorporated some vegetation into the overall scheme of things, but nope-nada, zilch, zero..Ahh whatever- there seem to be some issues which need to resolved there...this being one of them..and amenities being another one..

p5
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #84
k.r.eagle

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5archit View Post
A little off topic here, and I have mentioned this before, but having recently used Pearson lately, does anyone else feel that the lack of colour in the airport makes it kind of sterile-maybe even hospital like? I would have thought that they would have incorporated some vegetation into the overall scheme of things, but nope-nada, zilch, zero..Ahh whatever- there seem to be some issues which need to resolved there...this being one of them..and amenities being another one..

p5
I've only flown through Pier D + E in T1 New, (I've visited Pier F but before it was finished) and was pretty impressed with the rapidair area (in Pier D). But I agree, maybe a few plants (likely to be fake ones though) would lessen the hanger effect and add a bit of colour.

On Qatar: maybe they're hoping to get follow-through traffic? Toronto-Heathrow-Qatar / Toronto - Paris - Qatar? Possibly some really advanced marketing campaign - generate brand awareness? Other than that, I'm stumped.
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #85
ivan330Ci
BANNED

Qatar would come to YYZ for sure. It is just matter of time.
I love how those AC B777 look like.
ivan330Ci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #86
globetrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5archit View Post

p5
I agree. I've actually written them several times about this. I received a generic reply but nothing the other times I had written. I suggest for other's to write them as well. It's worth a shot. I'd love to see more colour incorporated into the terminal...and more stores. Then there's vegetation.....
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #87
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Looks like Brussels Airlines will continue Toronto service with their own aircraft in the summer once the Etihad direct service from Abu Dhabi begins. I'm wondering also if Air India plans on picking up some of the slack left by Air Canada's decision to pull out of Dehli. Air Canada claims continuously that India is an important market for them and it looks like they will return with non-stop service in 2009 when they have more triple-7's and 787's so in my opinion the whole bail-out is a gross mismanagement of aircraft more then anything else. Everyone knows those flights are always full.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #88
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Looks like Brussels Airlines will continue Toronto service with their own aircraft in the summer once the Etihad direct service from Abu Dhabi begins. I'm wondering also if Air India plans on picking up some of the slack left by Air Canada's decision to pull out of Dehli. Air Canada claims continuously that India is an important market for them and it looks like they will return with non-stop service in 2009 when they have more triple-7's and 787's so in my opinion the whole bail-out is a gross mismanagement of aircraft more then anything else. Everyone knows those flights are always full.
Source? Brussels Airline seems to serve only African destinations - Toronto would be their first NA route.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #89
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Air Canada should be allowed to have it's headquarters any where in Canada, but Montreal is hardly a backwater. It's still the 2nd biggest city in Canada, home to our aerospace industry, home to the International Civil Aviation Organization, and a city that is on the up and up again.

Besides, not everything needs be based in Toronto.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #90
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Source? Brussels Airline seems to serve only African destinations - Toronto would be their first NA route.
Sorry, the source is from Brussels Airlines website which explains the merger between SN Brussels and Virgin Express. Here are some links...

http://company.brusselsairlines.com/...sairlines.aspx

http://www.boarding.no/art.asp?id=23971
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #91
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Oh ok.. pretty exciting! One thing, I heard Jet Airways will most likely be flying over Brussels too - so this could be another Brussels Airlines codeshare?
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #92
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

did JAL terminate its Toronto-Tokyo service?
I was searching on their website today, but did not find anything.
So Damn, AC has gained monopoly on another Canada-Asia route...
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #93
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
did JAL terminate its Toronto-Tokyo service?
I was searching on their website today, but did not find anything.
So Damn, AC has gained monopoly on another Canada-Asia route...
I don't think JAL ever flew to YYZ except for occasional charter services.
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #94
k.r.eagle

Quote:
Where does Air India fly from Pearson? - is to Dehli or another city? I found the decision by AC to pull out somewhat odd also.

Given the huge demand AC seems to see for its routes to China from YYZ, why haven't any Chinese carriers such as China Southern, China Eastern or Air China launched routes to YYZ. Is it b/c of lack of aircraft/restrictions/profitability? I'd also like to see Singapore Airlines at YYZ, but doubt that there is demand.
Any chance that Virgin will make a comeback?
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #95
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18157

I believe the reason why so few Asian carriers fly to Toronto is because of opportunity cost. It takes a long-range aircraft to fly the distance. Without the A340 and the newer B777s, a stop is needed en route, which ties up aircraft. For a market so small like Toronto, it will be more profitable to use these long-haul aircraft for more profitable and popular destinations, say, in Europe, where there is a growing tourist boom among mainland Chinese.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #96
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.r.eagle View Post
Where does Air India fly from Pearson? - is to Dehli or another city? I found the decision by AC to pull out somewhat odd also.

Given the huge demand AC seems to see for its routes to China from YYZ, why haven't any Chinese carriers such as China Southern, China Eastern or Air China launched routes to YYZ. Is it b/c of lack of aircraft/restrictions/profitability? I'd also like to see Singapore Airlines at YYZ, but doubt that there is demand.
Any chance that Virgin will make a comeback?
Air India switches between Delhi, Mumbai and Amritstar 6 times a week all via Birmingham, U.K. I agree with the Chinese proposition. More Asian carriers would fly here if there was availability of longer range aircraft in their fleet. As for hkskyline's reference to Toronto having a small market, I'm not sure where that's coming from. Toronto has one the largest asian communities in North America (believe it or not there are more Chinese in Toronto than in Vancouver, but the concentration is higher in Vancouver), so it would stand to reason that Asian carriers would want to fly here. Unfortunately Canada's bilatteral air agreements are so antiquated that several asian carriers are only allowed to fly to one Canadian destination and traditionally it has been Vancouver due to proximity and shorter range aircraft at the time.
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #97
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18157

Quote:
Air India switches between Delhi, Mumbai and Amritstar 6 times a week all via Birmingham, U.K. I agree with the Chinese proposition. More Asian carriers would fly here if there was availability of longer range aircraft in their fleet. As for hkskyline's reference to Toronto having a small market, I'm not sure where that's coming from. Toronto has one the largest asian communities in North America (believe it or not there are more Chinese in Toronto than in Vancouver, but the concentration is higher in Vancouver), so it would stand to reason that Asian carriers would want to fly here. Unfortunately Canada's bilatteral air agreements are so antiquated that several asian carriers are only allowed to fly to one Canadian destination and traditionally it has been Vancouver due to proximity and shorter range aircraft at the time.
An immigrant population alone is not enough to sustain a long-haul route that requires at least 2 aircraft for daily service. Business traffic between Europe and China is far stronger than Canada - China, as is leisure traffic. Hence, the incentive to fly to Toronto is greatly reduced.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #98
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
An immigrant population alone is not enough to sustain a long-haul route that requires at least 2 aircraft for daily service. Business traffic between Europe and China is far stronger than Canada - China, as is leisure traffic. Hence, the incentive to fly to Toronto is greatly reduced.
I don't disagree that the business and leisure travel between China and Europe is stronger than between China and Canada, however I think the argument here is that the logical choice of destination to one Canadian market would be Toronto. Again, it is for historical reasons that Vancouver has developed into more of an Asian hub. My feel is that long-term, that trend may shift. My opinion only guys.
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #99
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

I think Air China already runs out of aircrafts, they also have an American destination unfilled. (They have the right to fly to another American city, but they dont have aircraft)
and for some reason Air China loses money on its international routes, but its domestic routes are profitable, it is only flying international to have the presence ,that's why they hesitate to add more routes.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #100
ACT7

Just spoke to a senior rep at Emirates and he's confirmed that Emirates will be flying to Toronto within a year but they simply don't want three times a week. They want daily and they're trying to work around the silly bilatteral agreement that Canada has with the UAE right now. He said that if that can be resolved, they would start flights by October. The demand is there and ready to go.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto