daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #981
canuckbanana

Likes (Received): 0

According to the AC timetable from Jul 10, 2009, Air Canada operates 11 daily departures from London Heathrow (which implies they also have 11 daily arrivals), for a total of 77 weekly departures. They break down as follows:

Toronto 28x weekly (4x daily)
Calgary 12x weekly (1x daily, 5x weekly 2nd flight)
Vancouver 9x weekly (1x daily, 2x weekly 2nd flight)
Halifax 7x weekly (1x daily)
Montreal 7x weekly (1x daily)
Ottawa 7x weekly (1x daily)
Edmonton 7x weekly (1x daily)

Also, according to the timetable AC codeshares with many airlines from Heathrow - just going by destinations I would assume the following: BMI, LH, SAS, Thai, Singapore, Royal Jordanian, Jet Airways, Swiss and LOT.

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #982
YYZplanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckbanana View Post
According to the AC timetable from Jul 10, 2009, Air Canada operates 11 daily departures from London Heathrow (which implies they also have 11 daily arrivals), for a total of 77 weekly departures. They break down as follows:

Toronto 28x weekly (4x daily)
Calgary 12x weekly (1x daily, 5x weekly 2nd flight)
Vancouver 9x weekly (1x daily, 2x weekly 2nd flight)
Halifax 7x weekly (1x daily)
Montreal 7x weekly (1x daily)
Ottawa 7x weekly (1x daily)
Edmonton 7x weekly (1x daily)

Also, according to the timetable AC codeshares with many airlines from Heathrow - just going by destinations I would assume the following: BMI, LH, SAS, Thai, Singapore, Royal Jordanian, Jet Airways, Swiss and LOT.

Thanks Cancuckbananna,

But, I would still like to know, as I have not a good understanding, why doesn't air canada go direct? I have asked this question more than once, and I will ask another question, when air canada recieves their larger aircraft, will they stop to codeshare and go direct instead? Thanks.
YYZplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #983
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZplanner View Post
Thanks Cancuckbananna,

But, I would still like to know, as I have not a good understanding, why doesn't air canada go direct? I have asked this question more than once, and I will ask another question, when air canada recieves their larger aircraft, will they stop to codeshare and go direct instead? Thanks.
It costs quite a lot of money to set up a new location, and unless there is strong economics to support, AC will not likely fly to the smaller cities beyond the hubs. A key advantage of the Star Alliance, or any alliance, is the ability for AC to fly into a major hub (eg. LHR) and then feed traffic to partner carriers to other places that would otherwise not be on the network. This would equal (at minimum) the competitive advantage over flying, for example, BA, if Canadians prefer to fly a Canadian carrier.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #984
canuckbanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZplanner View Post
Thanks Cancuckbananna,

As hkskyline mentioned it makes more sense for Air Canada to codeshare to smaller cities in Europe since there is not likely to be much traffic from Canada to these cities. Canada-Europe at the moment is an incredibly competitive and perhaps even over-saturated market. The fact that Canada and the EU has signed an open skies agreement yet there has not been any announcements of new service leads me to believe that for the time being, there are not really any opportunities of untapped profitable routes between the two regions.

The story may change once the supposedly more cost efficient 787s enter service. We may see a return of seasonal Copenhagen service, or perhaps a new service to Athens if Olympic continues to downsize the route. But more likely the 787s will be used to open new routes to Asia like DEL, BOM, IST, and the return of the YYZ-NRT non-stop. But I am just wildly speculating.

In summary, we may see a few (very few) codeshares become direct services on Air Canada with the introduction of the 787s, but more likely Air Canada will continue to leverage their partnerships with Star Alliance and a few other carriers.
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #985
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Open Skies Deal between Canada & South Korea

the long awaited Open Skies Agreement between Canada and South Korea has finally been announced....one of the first results - as yyzhyd has already advised us a few days ago, KE are upping their frequency to YYZ to daily, effective Aug 14th...

No. H 102/09
For release - July 15, 2009

Canada and the Republic of Korea reach Blue Sky air transport agreement

OTTAWA — The Honourable Stockwell Day, Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Asia–Pacific Gateway, on behalf of Canada’s Transport Minister, John Baird, today announced the successful conclusion of a Blue Sky air transport agreement with the Republic of Korea.

The new agreement allows any number of air carriers from either country to operate scheduled passenger and all-cargo air services as frequently as desired, to and from any point in either country's territory. Air carriers will also be able to pick up traffic in each other's territory and continue to a third country as part of a service to or from their home territory.

The agreement also provides for rights pertaining to flights carrying cargo only, allowing stand-alone cargo services between each other's territory and third countries, and includes a tariff regime that will allow carriers to readily react to market conditions.

"This agreement will help create new jobs for our economy, expand market potential for our businesses and build connections for our citizens," said Minister Day. "Our government delivered on a commitment to people of Korean descent who have made Canada their home and this agreement will help to strengthen our ties with this country."

"This latest agreement will benefit travellers and shippers by providing more choices in terms of destinations, flights and routes, and the potential for lower fares," said Baird. "It marks another step towards the successful implementation of the Blue Sky policy with countries in the Asia-Pacific region."

The new agreement is being applied on an administrative basis, which allows new air services to take place immediately.

To see how the government of Canada is delivering on Canada's Blue Sky policy, visit www.tc.gc.ca/bluesky.
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #986
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

So AC will return to ATH? Really?
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #987
canuckbanana

I was really just speculating about ATH. I have no reason to believe this may happen other than the relatively large greek populations in Toronto and Montreal and Olympic's ever-dwindling service. As noted above, AC is more likely to use their 787s to Asia. Didn't mean to get people's hopes up or stir any pots.
Old July 16th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #988
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

That would be nice to see. I doubt it. Desipte ever-dwindling service from OA, many greeks tend to fetch out big bucks to fly Olympic over Air Transat. I have seen it hehe. It gives me kicker when I see how patriotic some of them are. I am sure thank to those OA is still in Toronto. No doubt.

Now I know this will never happen from Air Canada but......

Considering that Malev left YYZ , and CSA is about to. I am curious if AC would ever think to start some limited service to Belgrade. It is a shame that city was connected with YYZ since early 1970s to 15 May of 1992. Malev and CSA used to scoop up some decent pax from former Yugoslavia. I guess now it is all left to Austrian and LH.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM   #989
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

rumours of a new Air Agreement between Canada and South Africa..

/stay tuned....
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM   #990
canuckbanana

Canada and New Zealand Sign Open Skies Deal

From a few days ago, noted on the Government of Canada news site.

Looks pretty standard for blue skies - unlimited flights to any city, allows 5th(6th?) freedom traffic to a third country.

Not sure if this will really affect Toronto much, I can see NZ turning AKL-YVR into an AKL-YVR-LHR or something like that. Perhaps even an AC YVR-AKL-MEL to complement their direct SYD service, but not likely in the near future.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:56 PM   #991
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
From a few days ago, noted on the Government of Canada news site.

Looks pretty standard for blue skies - unlimited flights to any city, allows 5th(6th?) freedom traffic to a third country.

Not sure if this will really affect Toronto much, I can see NZ turning AKL-YVR into an AKL-YVR-LHR or something like that. Perhaps even an AC YVR-AKL-MEL to complement their direct SYD service, but not likely in the near future.
Do the Austalians allow a MEL-AKL-YVR routing though? I'd think they have to give 5th freedom to let another competitor in on the transpacific route. Considering Delta is already cutting capacity even though it had just launched service!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM   #992
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Meanwhile, across town ...

Profit takes off at Island airport
Soaring revenue from near-doubled flight traffic puts Toronto Port Authority in black for first time

23 July 2009
The Toronto Star

A dramatic increase in the number of passengers departing from Toronto Island airport helped the Toronto Port Authority record its first profit since the federal agency came into existence 10 years ago.

In financial statements released yesterday, the port authority, responsible for operating Toronto's harbour lands and the Toronto City Centre Airport, recorded a net income of $863,000 in 2008.

The modest profit was recorded thanks in part to a 95 per cent increase in the number of Porter Airlines passengers. In 2008, 258,483 passengers paid the $15 airport improvement fee, up from 132,227 the year before. Increased plane traffic also led to more revenue to the federal agency from landing fees.

Island airport revenue increased to about $11 million in 2008, more than double the $5.1 million in revenue recorded in 2007.

Alan Paul, acting president and CEO of the Port Authority, said improvements to airport infrastructure and the replacement in 2006 of 1950s-era ferries serving the airport contributed to the increased passenger traffic.

"It was a matter of getting the business of the airport going. We've achieved that and 2009 is looking like passenger numbers are going to be up again," Paul said, noting Porter Airlines plans to expand its fleet of aircraft and is building a new terminal.

A second ferry to handle the traffic is expected to arrive later this year.

The authority's three other business arms - port operations, the outer harbour marina and its property holdings - were also profitable in 2008, despite the economic downturn.

"It was a pleasant surprise, given the tough economy," said Mark McQueen, chairman of the port authority's board of directors. "We were able to keep an eye on costs."

But critics say the port authority's profits come at the expense of Torontonians.

Brian Iler, chair of Community Air, a non-profit residents' group dedicated to closing the island airport and returning the land to public use, calls the airport a "travesty."

"Nothing justifies having the noisiest, stinkiest airport in the best recreational area in our city, and they're getting a paltry sum in terms of revenue for that kind of exclusive use of that kind of real estate," said Iler. "They're not self-sufficient. They shouldn't be a port authority."

Under the Canada Marine Act, port authorities must be financially self-sufficient.

In 2003, a proposed bridge to the island airport became a central campaign issue in the municipal election. David Miller was a vocal opponent of the bridge project, a position that ultimately helped him win the election. The mayor was not available for comment yesterday.

But in April, Miller said Toronto's waterfront "is not an appropriate place for a commercial airport.

"It is impossible to realize our (waterfront) vision and accomplish all we are working toward with multiple daily commercial flights in the vicinity," he told the Star.

Old July 24th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #993
canuckbanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Do the Austalians allow a MEL-AKL-YVR routing though? I'd think they have to give 5th freedom to let another competitor in on the transpacific route. Considering Delta is already cutting capacity even though it had just launched service!
You're right. I forgot about the strict Australia-Canada bilateral. The Aussies would have to give permission for Air Canada to a) fly to MEL (although I think this could be designated as the "second city" by Canada itself) and b) use AKL as an intermediate point between Canada and the US. Under the current bilateral it would probably kill any future request for YYZ-LAX-SYD service on AC, which is the route the Aussies protect most anyway.

Just out of curiosity, AC has the rights to start a Canada-SFO-SYD service. Just wondering out loud if there is much of a market for this? Would there be enough traffic feed into either YYZ or SFO to do a YYZ-SFO-SYD run?
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #994
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
You're right. I forgot about the strict Australia-Canada bilateral. The Aussies would have to give permission for Air Canada to a) fly to MEL (although I think this could be designated as the "second city" by Canada itself) and b) use AKL as an intermediate point between Canada and the US. Under the current bilateral it would probably kill any future request for YYZ-LAX-SYD service on AC, which is the route the Aussies protect most anyway.

Just out of curiosity, AC has the rights to start a Canada-SFO-SYD service. Just wondering out loud if there is much of a market for this? Would there be enough traffic feed into either YYZ or SFO to do a YYZ-SFO-SYD run?
Oh .. the Americans actually allow a foreign carrier do SFO-SYD?????

Old July 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #995
canuckbanana

I think the US-Canada bilateral allows any Canadian airline to fly to any city in the US and also pick up traffic to a third country beyond destination. IIRC the reason AC never started YYZ-LAX-SYD like they wanted was due to the Australian government (ie Qantas). SFO on the otherhand is specifically named as an agreed intermediate point between Canada and Australia, and thus if you combine it with the Canada-US open skies deal removes any (regulatory) barrier to Air Canada or any other Canadian airline from operating this route. Economic barriers such as low yields or lack of traffic would be another story, and the point I was wondering about. ie is there a case for AC to operate YYZ-SFO-SYD?

Last edited by canuckbanana; July 24th, 2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: edited for spelling
canuckbanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #996
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Arab airline slams Ottawa, alleges 'slanderous' tactics
Documents reveal bitter spat over access to Canadian skies

25 July 2009
The Toronto Star

OTTAWA -- As federal cabinet ministers boast about opening Canadian skies to foreign airlines, transport officials have been quietly undermining plans by one of the world's biggest airlines to expand service to Toronto, documents obtained by the Star show.

In private briefings, Transport Canada officials have gone on the offensive against Emirates Airlines' request for greater access to the Canadian market, charging that the Middle Eastern carrier is "an instrument of government policy" and is heavily subsidized by the public purse.

They also suggest Transport Canada should shelter Canadian carriers from competition.

The federal government's response to Emirates' request has sparked a sharp rebuke from a senior airline executive, who accuses Transport Canada officials of making "slanderous" allegations.

In a letter to the department, Emirates Senior Vice-President Andrew Parker claims that despite the promise of extra tourism, new jobs and other economic benefits, Transport Canada wants to keep Emirates - a global carrier serving 60 countries - out of the Canadian market.

"The language Transport Canada has used over the past decade is aggressive, often biased and deeply objectionable to this carrier," Parker writes in the letter obtained by the Star.

"The real aim of these rejections is sadly to keep Emirates permanently away from Canada. ... Emirates will not be deterred," Parker writes.

The spat offers a window into the world of international air treaties, where visions of a global economy often clash with deep-seated sentiments of protectionism, national self-interest and economics.

Senior Canadian cabinet ministers have pushed for closer ties to the United Arab Emirates. That suggests the resistance to Emirates' bid to fly more often to Canada lies within the federal bureaucracy.

At the heart of the growing dispute is a request from Emirates Airlines to increase flights between Dubai and Toronto, as well as start service to Calgary and Vancouver.

The request has won broad support among municipal and provincial governments, who say the extra flights would mean more tourism, new investment and more jobs. It's estimated allowing Emirates and another UAE airline, Etihad Airways, to boost flights into Pearson alone would produce more than 500 jobs, $20 million in salaries and $13.5 million in tax revenues.

However, Transport Canada insists the current cap of six flights a week from the United Arab Emirates to Canada - split between Emirates and Etihad - is enough to serve the market.

But in a presentation obtained by the Star, titled "Blue Sky, Canada's International Air Policy," given to stakeholders this spring, senior Transport Canada officials voiced other reasons for not moving on Emirates' request, including:

"Emirates and Etihad are instruments of government policy. ... The governments are helping finance massive wide-body aircraft orders and massive expansion of airport infrastructure."

They say the market between Canada and UAE is small, suggesting it's not worth the attention.

It cites an independent study that says the public-financed expansion of aviation in the Persian Gulf will lead to "unhealthy competition and irrational commercial behaviour."

It suggests Canadian carriers need to be protected. "In international aviation, as in other strategic areas, countries are very much driven by self-interest. Canada forgets this rule at its peril," the briefing paper says. "Our sky is open, at least as open as can be given ... our national interest."

But in a six-page rebuttal to Brigita Gravitis-Beck, Transport Canada's director-general of air policy, Parker says the government allegations are ill-informed and "strongly in error."

"We are particularly offended at the suggestion - without any substantive foundation - that Emirates receives government support for aircraft purchases. We receive no subsidies or government support," Parker writes.

While Emirates is state-owned, Parker says the airline operates on a fully commercial footing with no public subsidies.

And he charges that federal bureaucrats are deliberately trying to shelter Air Canada from competition, though it doesn't fly to the UAE.

"Unlike Air Canada, Emirates does not enjoy any aero-political protection - the greatest form of subsidy," he writes.

Parker also ridicules the government claim that the existing market is insignificant, saying the true potential of the Canada-Dubai route cannot be realized because Ottawa has restricted the flights.

He says Ottawa's hard-line attitude has not changed in the last decade, despite "extraordinary" trade growth between the two nations.

"We do hope that Transport Canada will adopt a more balanced and accurate view on Emirates."

Transport officials said yesterday they were unable to comment on the dispute or their own allegations involving Emirates.

Old July 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #997
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

*rolls eyes*
More EK temper tantrums... This is a non-issue.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #998
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Yea ... considering they can't get the government concessions to fly more frequencies, there's nothing to lose to be a bit more vocal.

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #999
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

hehheehe Imagine ETIHAD 7 times a week and EK the same. Europeans would go nuts. It is matter of time when EK will step in. They want huge pax load to connect VIA DUbai on their final destinations to far East.
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #1000
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
hehheehe Imagine ETIHAD 7 times a week and EK the same. Europeans would go nuts. It is matter of time when EK will step in. They want huge pax load to connect VIA DUbai on their final destinations to far East.
EK could have had 6x weekly to start back in 2002... but tried to bully the CTA into giving daily rights to YYZ. CTA said why don't you start serving YYZ and we can see about an increase later.
The EK North America Region manager refused and said we'll do daily or nothing... so the CTA said that's your choice.
EY came in and took 3 of those 6 frequencies in 2003. When all this broke among the EK executives the regional manager was promptly fired.
EK decided it better start service with the remaining 3 frequencies or else risk being shut out completely from Canada.

EK needs Canada far more than Canada needs EK... therefore the CTA is in a position to play hardball. EK's temper tantrums are not helping it's cause.

Eventually EK and EY will get reasonable access which may not be exactly what they want... could be something like 28x weekly to Canada:
EK
YYZ - 2x daily
YVR - 1x daily

EY
YYZ - 1x daily

But this will not happen by trying to bully Canada into it.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto