daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #1101
egypt69

Likes (Received): 1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
from aviationweek.com, their daily update for Dec 14...

EgyptAir To Add Toronto Nonstop To North American Network

Aviation Daily Dec 14 , 2009 , p. 11
Darren Shannon

EgyptAir is planning to launch a year-round nonstop service from its Cairo hub to Toronto in October 2010, a move that will put the airline in competition with Dubai’s Emirates. The carrier, which will also retain its current seasonal schedule to Montreal, is also hoping that bilateral air transport negotiations between Canada and Egypt will produce an Open-Skies accord before the launch. Informal talks have already started, and should progress to formal negotiations by March, according to EgyptAir.

Such a bilateral agreement would give the airline leverage against Emirates, which is limited under a current bilateral to three weekly flights into Toronto.

EgyptAir will serve the Toronto route with two-class configured Airbus A330-300s, a fleet type that will be introduced in August.
YES

Finally!! Now I can fly back home directly to Egypt! I live in London, Ontario (1 hour and a half from Toronto), and usually i drive to Toronto then do YYZ-CAI, via LHR, or FRA.

But now non-stop!! Fantastic news, and indeed competition for the airlines at YYZ.

Btw, do you have a link for this article??

And btw, the aircraft they plan to utilise on this route are one of 8 new A330-300s in plan for EgyptAir. They include new cabin interiors, PTVs in ALL seats, and a new business class

Ah man, this is too good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZplanner View Post
Hey Everyone!!

It's good to hear about the great news. Just a few points:

- Doesn't Egypt air already serve montreal? Is it going to be pulling out?
- How many flights a week is Egypt air going to be serving toronto?
- With Egypt air coming, does this give a more of a chance to Qatar airways now comming to toronto?
Yes, EgyptAir announced last week that they are ceasing Montreal Service. They used to fly the route 3x a week, seasonally (in summer only) using A340 aircraft. Load factors were great, thats why everyone was wondering why they stopped service.

Same, I wont to know how many flights per week.

I think the Canadian government has been a bit strict on allowing international carriers, so i think thi is irrelevant to Qatar Airways coming in.

But EgyptAir will probably cuase some competition to Middle Eastern and North African airlines operating from YYZ, because EgyptAir fares are generally much cheaper than its regional rivals.

Also the load factors should be perfect, there are lost of Egyptians living in Toronto, and in the cities around it (London, Hamilton, Waterloo etc), and the ones I know have always had to use a stop in Europe, and they have all been wishing for a direct flight. The load factors might alos be good due to Canadian Tourists visiting Egypt.

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #1102
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18157

Quote:
A few days ago, there were talks of british airways going on strike. Thats not going to happen anymore now. But, if we keep in mind other british carriers like BMI or Virgin Atlantic, can they take advantage of the problems that are happening right now inside British Airways? ALso, I think this would give a chance for these carriers like Virgin Atlantic to add to toronto- something which they were planing for in 2010.
I thought I read earlier in the year Virgin had no plans to come back. They added YYZ in a fanfare many years ago and not long after, quietly dropped the route.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #1103
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt69 View Post
YES

Btw, do you have a link for this article??

Hi egypt69....it was at aviationweek.com - they update aviation news daily, and it was on their Dec 14 news....

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...=aviationdaily

I don't know how to get to the archive - maybe you have to be a member? If you google the headline "EgyptAir To Add Toronto Nonstop To North American Network" it shows in the cache
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #1104
yyzer

more news....the long-awaited Canada-European Open Skies Agreement will finally be signed tomorrow, Dec 18...from today's Transport Canada press release.....

No. H 172/09
For release - December 17, 2009

Canada will sign its most comprehensive air agreement ever

OTTAWA — Canada's Transport Minister John Baird today announced that Canada's air transport agreement with all 27 European Union (EU) member states will be signed and finalized tomorrow in Canada. This agreement is the largest and most comprehensive that Canada has ever negotiated and concludes the process first launched by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

"Our government has moved at an unprecedented pace since 2006 to negotiate or expand air travel agreements with other countries, and we are proud to now be signing our largest ever with the European Union," said Baird. "For the first time, Canadian air carriers will be able to access and expand into all EU member states, and EU carriers will be able to expand into Canada. The result will be better air travel choices and new opportunities for Canadian businesses by 2010."

"The EU is Canada's second-largest bilateral aviation, trade and investment market. In 2008, Canadian exports to the EU totalled $52.2 billion, an increase of 3.9 per cent from 2007. This comprehensive air transport agreement will help boost Canada's economy by creating new jobs, expanding our commercial links and building connections for our citizens," said the Honourable Stockwell Day, Minister of International Trade.

"The agreement will provide new opportunities for Canada's tourism industry, as new air carriers will be able to offer more choices in terms of destinations, flights and routes, more direct services and the potential for lower fares," said the Honourable Diane Ablonczy, Minister of State (Small Business and Tourism).

The Canada-EU Comprehensive Air Transport Agreement will allow any number of air carriers from Canada and the EU member states to operate direct scheduled passenger and all-cargo air services to any cities between each partner's territory as frequently as desired. Air carriers will also be able to pick up traffic in each partner's territory and continue to a third country as part of a service to or from their home territory.

All 27 EU member states signed the agreement today, and the agreement will arrive in Canada on December 18, 2009, for signing.

Since January 2006, the Government of Canada has negotiated open, new or expanded air service agreements with nearly 50 countries, including:

eight Open Skies-type agreements: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland, New Zealand, Barbados, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and South Korea;
eight expanded agreements: Portugal, Mexico, Japan, Jordan, Singapore, the Philippines, Cuba and Morocco; and
seven new "first-time" agreements: Algeria, Kuwait, Serbia, Croatia, Panama, Turkey and South Africa.
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #1105
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I thought I read earlier in the year Virgin had no plans to come back. They added YYZ in a fanfare many years ago and not long after, quietly dropped the route.
There was article about adding YYZ 2 or so years ago once the 787s come online.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #1106
yyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Correct...Virgin started YYZ on June 1, 2001, with daily flights to Gatwick (strategic mistake)....although they barely started to build the route, after Sept 11, 2001, they pulled the flight (along with their flights to Chicago as well).....while Chicago was recently reinstated, YYZ is still waiting...I don't think they are coming back, although Richard Branson seems to be in town all the time, with his various other businesses....
Old December 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #1107
egypt69

Quote:
Hi egypt69....it was at aviationweek.com - they update aviation news daily, and it was on their Dec 14 news....

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...=aviationdaily

I don't know how to get to the archive - maybe you have to be a member? If you google the headline "EgyptAir To Add Toronto Nonstop To North American Network" it shows in the cache
Thanks
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #1108
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
more news....the long-awaited Canada-European Open Skies Agreement will finally be signed tomorrow, Dec 18...from today's Transport Canada press release.....

No. H 172/09
For release - December 17, 2009

Canada will sign its most comprehensive air agreement ever

OTTAWA — Canada's Transport Minister John Baird today announced that Canada's air transport agreement with all 27 European Union (EU) member states will be signed and finalized tomorrow in Canada. This agreement is the largest and most comprehensive that Canada has ever negotiated and concludes the process first launched by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

"Our government has moved at an unprecedented pace since 2006 to negotiate or expand air travel agreements with other countries, and we are proud to now be signing our largest ever with the European Union," said Baird. "For the first time, Canadian air carriers will be able to access and expand into all EU member states, and EU carriers will be able to expand into Canada. The result will be better air travel choices and new opportunities for Canadian businesses by 2010."

"The EU is Canada's second-largest bilateral aviation, trade and investment market. In 2008, Canadian exports to the EU totalled $52.2 billion, an increase of 3.9 per cent from 2007. This comprehensive air transport agreement will help boost Canada's economy by creating new jobs, expanding our commercial links and building connections for our citizens," said the Honourable Stockwell Day, Minister of International Trade.

"The agreement will provide new opportunities for Canada's tourism industry, as new air carriers will be able to offer more choices in terms of destinations, flights and routes, more direct services and the potential for lower fares," said the Honourable Diane Ablonczy, Minister of State (Small Business and Tourism).

The Canada-EU Comprehensive Air Transport Agreement will allow any number of air carriers from Canada and the EU member states to operate direct scheduled passenger and all-cargo air services to any cities between each partner's territory as frequently as desired. Air carriers will also be able to pick up traffic in each partner's territory and continue to a third country as part of a service to or from their home territory.

All 27 EU member states signed the agreement today, and the agreement will arrive in Canada on December 18, 2009, for signing.

Since January 2006, the Government of Canada has negotiated open, new or expanded air service agreements with nearly 50 countries, including:

eight Open Skies-type agreements: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland, New Zealand, Barbados, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and South Korea;
eight expanded agreements: Portugal, Mexico, Japan, Jordan, Singapore, the Philippines, Cuba and Morocco; and
seven new "first-time" agreements: Algeria, Kuwait, Serbia, Croatia, Panama, Turkey and South Africa.
It seems like so many European airlines are reducing their service to YYZ, so hopefully this will open things up for either new entrants or Air Canada picking up the slack. I don't think I'v ever sat on an empty flight across the Atlantic so the carriers that are pulling out seem to be having serious financial trouble, not doing it because of loads.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #1109
YYZplanner

Likes (Received): 0

Hey,

anyone know if Air Canada is going to be ordering some boeing 787's that were recently introduced by boeing?
YYZplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #1110
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Hey,

anyone know if Air Canada is going to be ordering some boeing 787's that were recently introduced by boeing?
Air Canada ordered about 30 787's and will be repacing their 767's with them. So they will mostly be for mid to long-range flights.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:10 AM   #1111
YYZplanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Air Canada ordered about 30 787's and will be repacing their 767's with them. So they will mostly be for mid to long-range flights.
When will they be getting them?
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:12 AM   #1112
YYZplanner

Quote:
Strong rumours that EVA Air of Taiwan will commence 3 x's weekly passenger flights TPE-YYZ at the end of March....equipment type will be 777-300ER, and they will operate out of Terminal 1...
Whats up with this? Is it actaully going to happen?
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM   #1113
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

^It should. I think it's confirmed. Saw it on airliners.net forum.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM   #1114
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt69 View Post
Thanks
The expat community is quite big from your old homeland. To tell you the truth, I would get my hopes up high. LH/OS/AF/BA will come up with all sorts of promotions to retain or even lure pax.
I recall that when Hungarian Malev was still flying to YYZ. LH/OS fares were much lower because they had cash to blow just to gain it back later when Malev is out of luck/$/time. So guess what MA is gone!

Just imagine if JAT airways was to come back to YYZ lol. I can bet LH/OS can not wait just do the same that they have done to Malev. The only thing with Austrian, they are running out of cash as we speak.
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM   #1115
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

This is what I love about when Turkish came in. A brand new A330 and lost of cash to burn. They will snatch some pax from OS/LH/BA/KL. Bring it on!
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM   #1116
yyzer

AC Re-Starting YYZ-CPH

from today's press release....

Air Canada bolsters Toronto hub with service to Copenhagen, the fourth new European destination from Toronto this year

Route opens connections for customers flying to Scandinavia

MONTREAL, Dec. 21 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada announced today it will
launch daily service between Toronto and Copenhagen next summer as it further
expands international flying at its major hub to offer customers more choice
of destinations and routes.
"Air Canada is building its Toronto hub and this year has now announced
long-haul service to four new, major international destinations. The addition
of Copenhagen next summer is strategically important as passengers will be
able to conveniently connect with our Star Alliance partner Scandinavian
Airlines to reach such cities as Oslo, Helsinki, Warsaw, Stockholm and
Gothenburg," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial
Officer. "We will continue to look for opportunities to grow our hub after
earlier announcing flights starting next summer to Athens, Barcelona and, via
Montreal, Brussels. Toronto's geographic position and the consolidation of
our operations under one roof are enabling us to establish Lester B. Pearson
International Airport as a major North American and global hub for the Star
Alliance."
Air Canada will begin non-stop, daily flights between Toronto and
Copenhagen on June 24, 2010, subject to government approval. The only
non-stop service to Scandinavia from Canada will be operated with a 211-seat
Boeing 767-300 ER aircraft featuring 24 lay flat bed suites in Executive
First and a personal digital in-flight video system, a USB port and a power
plug available at every seat throughout the aircraft. Service will operate
daily in the summer, with reduced frequency in the winter. Flights will be
timed to conveniently connect with Star Alliance partner Scandinavian
Airlines, which offers more than 120 flights per day from Copenhagen to 52
destinations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flight Depart Toronto Arrive Copenhagen
Daily
AC882 17:15 06:55 (+1)
Flight Depart Copenhagen Arrive Toronto
Daily
AC883 12:20 14:50

Air Canada provides scheduled and charter air transportation for
passengers and cargo to more than 170 destinations on five continents,
including by next summer 14 European destinations.
Canada's flag carrier is the 13th largest commercial airline in the world
and serves 33 million customers annually. Air Canada, a founding member of
Star Alliance, provides the most comprehensive air transportation network for
Canadian domestic, transborder and international travel. As well, customers
can collect Aeroplan miles for future reward travel through Canada's leading
loyalty program.
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:37 PM   #1117
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18157

I guess they're not getting rid of those old, but retrofitted 767?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM   #1118
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

With FlyGlobespan and Zoom Airlines now gone, do you think we could see Air Canada back at Glasgow International? Air Canada formerly operated GLA-YYZ daily, all year round for about 40 years before competition from Zoom and Globespan forced them out. I believe Air Canada also flew GLA-YHZ for some time too.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:36 PM   #1119
egypt69

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
The expat community is quite big from your old homeland. To tell you the truth, I would get my hopes up high. LH/OS/AF/BA will come up with all sorts of promotions to retain or even lure pax.
I recall that when Hungarian Malev was still flying to YYZ. LH/OS fares were much lower because they had cash to blow just to gain it back later when Malev is out of luck/$/time. So guess what MA is gone!

Just imagine if JAT airways was to come back to YYZ lol. I can bet LH/OS can not wait just do the same that they have done to Malev. The only thing with Austrian, they are running out of cash as we speak.
True. I just meant that EgyptAir fares are usually much cheaper than other airlines, im not sure how that will change.

Btw are you on airliners.net??? Cuz I am
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1120
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
AC Re-Starting YYZ-CPH
Great news for YYZ and CPH, as well as Canada and Scandinavia as a whole. There has been no direct link between these parts of the world for more than 7 or so years.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto