daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM   #1121
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt69 View Post
True. I just meant that EgyptAir fares are usually much cheaper than other airlines, im not sure how that will change.

Btw are you on airliners.net??? Cuz I am
I often read but I am not a memeber. Gotta hook it up soon. So many cool things on it.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM   #1122
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMan View Post
With FlyGlobespan and Zoom Airlines now gone, do you think we could see Air Canada back at Glasgow International? Air Canada formerly operated GLA-YYZ daily, all year round for about 40 years before competition from Zoom and Globespan forced them out. I believe Air Canada also flew GLA-YHZ for some time too.

Isn't there Air Transat as well? Those guys are agressive as well lol. I saw they have non stop from Vancouver to Athens for summer 2010. That is one hell of a flight on a coach style of service airline. I tryed to make a reservation , and it shows as 15 hour flight! Ay ay ay ay
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:37 PM   #1123
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Isn't there Air Transat as well? Those guys are agressive as well lol. I saw they have non stop from Vancouver to Athens for summer 2010. That is one hell of a flight on a coach style of service airline. I tryed to make a reservation , and it shows as 15 hour flight! Ay ay ay ay
Yeah, Air Transat still fly here and Thomas Cook too.

Current the Glasgow to Canada schedule is:
Air Transat to Calgary: Twice weekly
Thomas Cook to Calgary: Twice weekly
Air Transat to Toronto: Daily
Thomas Cook to Toronto: Daily
Air Transat to Vancouver: Twice weekly
Thomas Cook to Vancouver: Twice weekly

Glasgow previously had:
FlyGlobespan to Calgary: Weekly
Zoom to Calgary: Twice weekly
FlyGlobespan to Halifax: Weekly
Zoom to Calgary: Weekly
FlyGlobespan to Hamilton: Weekly
Zoom to Ottawa: Twice weekly
Air Canada to Toronto: Daily
Zoom to Calgary: Five weekly
FlyGlobespan to Vancouver: Weekly

All flights had healthily loads, 80% + so as you can see, not only are we down by allot of capacity to Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver, we now have nothing to Halifax, Hamilton and Ottawa.

With less capacity to Toronto and nothing on offer to other Canadian cities previously offered directly, I think Air Canada would be very successful at Glasgow. They could pickup allot of the lost GLA-YYZ passengers and they would also get allot of people connecting onward to Halifax, Ottawa and other Canadian cities.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:00 AM   #1124
canuckbanana

Likes (Received): 0

Copa coming to Toronto

Found on the CTA website here

I don't recall if COPA ever flew or has been flying to Toronto? According to the GTAA website there are flights to Panama City, but doesn't say who operates them.

December 21, 2009

APPLICATION by Compañia Panameña de Aviación, S.A. carrying on business as Copa Airlines pursuant to subsection 69(1) of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended, for a licence to operate a scheduled international service on the route Panama City/Toronto/Panama City, limited to three flights per week.

File No. M4212/C636-4

Compañia Panameña de Aviación, S.A. carrying on business as Copa Airlines (applicant) has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for a licence to operate the service set out in the title.

The applicant has been designated by the Government of the Republic of Panama, pursuant to the provisions of the Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the Republic of Panama on Air Transport initialled ad referendum on May 26, 2008 (Agreement), to operate a scheduled international service on the route Panama City/Toronto/Panama City, limited to three flights per week.

By Order No. 2009-A-457, the Agency granted the applicant an exemption from section 59 of the Canada Transportation Act (CTA), thereby permitting the applicant to sell, cause to be sold, or publicly offer for sale in Canada a scheduled international service on the route Panama City/Toronto/Panama City, limited to three flights per week, before acquiring a licence, subject to certain conditions.

The Agency has reviewed the application and is satisfied that the applicant meets the requirements of subsection 69(1) of the CTA. The Agency is also satisfied that the pertinent terms and conditions of the Agreement have been complied with.

Accordingly, the Agency will issue to the applicant a licence to operate a scheduled international service on the route Panama City/Toronto/Panama City, limited to three flights per week.

Pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the CTA, the Agency deems it appropriate to include the terms and conditions set out below in the licence to be issued pursuant to this Decision.

The licence to be issued pursuant to this Decision shall be subject, in addition to the conditions prescribed by the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88-58, as amended (ATR), to the requirements to hold a Canadian aviation document issued by the Minister of Transport, and to have prescribed liability insurance coverage as set out in section 7 of the ATR, and to the following terms and conditions to which the licence is made subject pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the CTA:

1. The Licensee is authorized to operate a scheduled international service on the route Panama City/Toronto/Panama City, limited to three flights per week.

2. The operation of the scheduled international service authorized herein shall be conducted subject to the provisions of the Agreement and to any applicable arrangements as may be agreed to between Canada and Panama.

3. Unless terminated at an earlier date in accordance with the CTA or the Agreement, this licence shall terminate at the termination or expiration of the Agreement, or upon the effective date of any amendment to the Agreement which shall have the effect of eliminating the rights herein authorized.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1125
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Yeah , but that worked on coach style airlines. Just the way it has been for Air Transat Athens service, but not for Air Canada. AC fares up are always jacked up by 200-500 dollars A ticket. It's more of a leisure market with visitng their family routes. It's like that for eastern european markets as well. Nobody would pay AC fares. This is why AC is not into EE market. (I think there is code share with LOT). That would be it I guess.

Quote:
Yeah, Air Transat still fly here and Thomas Cook too.

Current the Glasgow to Canada schedule is:

Glasgow previously had:
FlyGlobespan to Calgary: Weekly
FlyGlobespan to Halifax: Weekly
Zoom to Calgary: Weekly
FlyGlobespan to Hamilton: Weekly
Zoom to Ottawa: Twice weekly
Air Canada to Toronto: Daily
Zoom to Calgary: Five weekly
FlyGlobespan to Vancouver: Weekly

All flights had healthily loads, 80% + so as you can see, not only are we down by allot of capacity to Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver, we now have nothing to Halifax, Hamilton and Ottawa.

With less capacity to Toronto and nothing on offer to other Canadian cities previously offered directly, I think Air Canada would be very successful at Glasgow. They could pickup allot of the lost GLA-YYZ passengers and they would also get allot of people connecting onward to Halifax, Ottawa and other Canadian cities.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM   #1126
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Copa coming to Toronto
Thanks for posting, canuckbanana! Apparently they also just filed for slots at YYZ for summer 2010 - don't know the times yet.....

Yes, this will be the first time that CM have flown to YYZ....the only other flights between Toronto and Panama have been some charters with Air Transat , I believe...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM   #1127
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Yeah , but that worked on coach style airlines. Just the way it has been for Air Transat Athens service, but not for Air Canada. AC fares up are always jacked up by 200-500 dollars A ticket. It's more of a leisure market with visitng their family routes. It's like that for eastern european markets as well. Nobody would pay AC fares. This is why AC is not into EE market. (I think there is code share with LOT). That would be it I guess.
People did pay Air Canada fares to fly from Glasgow! Air Canada operated successfully to Glasgow for over 40 years. At one point they used a Boeing 747 for the daily flight to Toronto, as well as a regular 747 flight between Glasgow and Halifax.

The only reason Glasgow became unprofitable for Air Canada is because of competition from Globespan and Zoom. They are now gone.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM   #1128
simcard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
The only reason Glasgow became unprofitable for Air Canada is because of competition from Globespan and Zoom. They are now gone.
globespan is now Bust
simcard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #1129
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcard View Post
globespan is now Bust
No keeping secrets for you!

I know Globespan are bust, hence the “They are now gone.”

You might also want to know, Zoom Airlines also went down the tubes about 14 months ago.

Old December 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #1130
simcard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

sorry about that, i misread your sentence, my fault.
simcard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1131
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I think you misunderstood me. I am sure there is some market, but not to that extent as you pointed out with coach style airlines. I mean lets be honest, most of Canadians that are 4-5 generations Canadian, they are Irish or Scotish. I just think to that people are looking for a more reasonable fare so they can see the family more often or spend that money with them. Also the images that you posted, this was the time when AC had no competition in those days. Imagine what they would do to us now if we had no westjet, Air transat and skyservice. We would have to fork over big bucks.

Quote:
People did pay Air Canada fares to fly from Glasgow! Air Canada operated successfully to Glasgow for over 40 years. At one point they used a Boeing 747 for the daily flight to Toronto, as well as a regular 747 flight between Glasgow and Halifax.

Old December 24th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #1132
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

just posted on airliners.net, the new tentative skeds for EVA Air (BR) to YYZ...these show a technical stop in Anchorage on the westbound flight...

here are the timings (unofficial)...

EVA Airways to launch Taipei Taoyuan (TPE) to Toronto Pearson (YYZ) from 28MAR10.
Return flight has a technical stopover at Anchorage (ANC).

28MAR10 to 30APR10
BR 0036 1845TPE - YYZ2055 77W 146
BR 0035 2340YYZ - 0210+1ANC0335+1 - TPE0545+2 77W 146

01MAY10 to 30JUN10
BR 0036 1845TPE - YYZ2100 77W 146
BR 0035 2340YYZ - 0210+1ANC0335+1 - TPE0535+2 77W 146

01JUL10 to 31AUG10
BR 0036 1845TPE - YYZ2100 77W 146
BR 0035 2355YYZ - 0225+1ANC0350+1 - TPE0510+2 77W 146

01SEP10 to 30OCT10
BR 0036 1845TPE - YYZ2045 77W 146
BR 0035 2340YYZ - 0220+1ANC0345+1 - TPE0540+2 77W 146
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #1133
canuckbanana

You beat me to it yyzer!

It's nice to see Pearson getting more flights crossing both oceans. It looks like 2010 might be shaping up as a bumper year for new destinations out of Toronto. If the Egyptair rumours come true that would be Toronto's first African destination as well!
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #1134
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Yup. They got to work on Africa airlinks.
Old December 26th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #1135
YYZplanner

Isnt south African airlines and ethopian also planned for toronto in 2010?
YYZplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #1136
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Yeah and what about Kenya? They have a few 777 if i stand correct..
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #1137
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Went on AC website to checkout the fares to Athens. They go for around $1380 in the peak season. Not bad.

TS vs AC competition.
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1138
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18198

Quote:
Went on AC website to checkout the fares to Athens. They go for around $1380 in the peak season. Not bad.

TS vs AC competition.
Hmm .. probably a lot cheaper to get to LHR first and transfer to easyJet from there.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #1139
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Hmm .. probably a lot cheaper to get to LHR first and transfer to easyJet from there.
Yeah, but I am not sure if easy jet is positioned in LHR? Could be an other airport. In this case, how would you hop on the cennecting flight ?
As much as that maybe doable, I heard that older greeks like to fly nonstop due to being used in the past.
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #1140
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I also wonder how reliable is it to have a connecting flight with LC airline?
IMHO I have been in situation where the connecting inbound Toronto was late one hour. The segment where I get on ATH to YYZ , that airplane was delayed so we could catch it. That is because they dont want to waste $ to put on in a hotel or buy us a new ticket. In this case I doubt if LC has any responsibility if you miss the flight.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto