daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #101
p5archit

Likes (Received): 1

Greening the airport-Plants etc.!!

I have not written to the Airport authority, but I have spoken to people who work/ed there- the main issue is maintenance and irrigation.There is no infrastructure in place to support any type of vegetation in the airport- ridiculous I know, but the GTAA lacks foresight in few key areas.

Still not all is lost- I think they should install a series of "Green-walls" or "Living walls" through out the airport- and water elements. These walls are being extremely well received across the states and in Europe- predominantly in offices, but airports are sporting them now as well.

p5

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #102
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Likes (Received): 0

Jet Airways

Effective August 23, Jet Airways will commence flights to Toronto 5 days per week. Upgrading to daily in the fall.

Here is the article from the Toronto Star this morning.

Apr 18, 2007 04:30 AM
Prithi Yelaja
Staff Reporter

An India-based airline plans to start daily flights between Toronto and New Delhi later this year, filling a void that will be left when Air Canada abandons that route in May.

As part of aggressive global-expansion plans, Mumbai-based Jet Airways will offer flights five days a week out of Pearson Airport starting Aug. 23. Flights will become daily in fall, Bala Chandrashekar, Jet's general manager for Canada and the American Midwest, said yesterday.

Officials from the Greater Toronto Airports Authority are in New Delhi meeting with India's aviation minister to explore the possibility of further expanding flights into Toronto. The Canada-India open skies agreement allows for 35 flights a week between the countries.

Also beginning in August, Jet will offer daily flights from Newark, N.J., to Mumbai. Both routes will operate via Brussels.

"There is a huge Indian population here, and they don't have any connection to Delhi or Mumbai right now," said Chandrashekar. "Our market research shows this is a very lucrative route."

Air Canada decided in February to discontinue daily flights to New Delhi in favour of boosting service to China.

"Because of the seasonal nature of the Delhi traffic, it was difficult to fill the flights on a year-round basis," with demand dropping off in summer, Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick said at the time.

That decision had no impact on Jet's expansion here, said Chandrashekar.

"It's not because of Air Canada pulling back that we are planning to start. It was always in the cards. We don't really consider Air Canada a threat" because Jet has opulent service and the lure of homegrown loyalty.

Indo-Canadian business leaders who had decried Air Canada's move were elated by yesterday's news.

"We're just ecstatic," said Ajit Khanna, president of the Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce. "If we're going to say that India is important from a Canadian trade perspective, this restores the link just when Air Canada removed it. Done properly that route can fly, so to speak, and be lucrative."

Jet, launched in 1993 by Indian businessman Naresh Goyal, is rated among the highest of India's domestic airlines for customer satisfaction.
TObermuda37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #103
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObermuda37 View Post
Effective August 23, Jet Airways will commence flights to Toronto 5 days per week. Upgrading to daily in the fall.

Here is the article from the Toronto Star this morning.

Apr 18, 2007 04:30 AM
Prithi Yelaja
Staff Reporter

An India-based airline plans to start daily flights between Toronto and New Delhi later this year, filling a void that will be left when Air Canada abandons that route in May.

As part of aggressive global-expansion plans, Mumbai-based Jet Airways will offer flights five days a week out of Pearson Airport starting Aug. 23. Flights will become daily in fall, Bala Chandrashekar, Jet's general manager for Canada and the American Midwest, said yesterday.

Officials from the Greater Toronto Airports Authority are in New Delhi meeting with India's aviation minister to explore the possibility of further expanding flights into Toronto. The Canada-India open skies agreement allows for 35 flights a week between the countries.

Also beginning in August, Jet will offer daily flights from Newark, N.J., to Mumbai. Both routes will operate via Brussels.

"There is a huge Indian population here, and they don't have any connection to Delhi or Mumbai right now," said Chandrashekar. "Our market research shows this is a very lucrative route."

Air Canada decided in February to discontinue daily flights to New Delhi in favour of boosting service to China.

"Because of the seasonal nature of the Delhi traffic, it was difficult to fill the flights on a year-round basis," with demand dropping off in summer, Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick said at the time.

That decision had no impact on Jet's expansion here, said Chandrashekar.

"It's not because of Air Canada pulling back that we are planning to start. It was always in the cards. We don't really consider Air Canada a threat" because Jet has opulent service and the lure of homegrown loyalty.

Indo-Canadian business leaders who had decried Air Canada's move were elated by yesterday's news.

"We're just ecstatic," said Ajit Khanna, president of the Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce. "If we're going to say that India is important from a Canadian trade perspective, this restores the link just when Air Canada removed it. Done properly that route can fly, so to speak, and be lucrative."

Jet, launched in 1993 by Indian businessman Naresh Goyal, is rated among the highest of India's domestic airlines for customer satisfaction.
Awesome news!!
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #104
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Yay!
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #105
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

bring on emirates!
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #106
ACT7

I think it's becoming clearer and clearer that Air Canada's decision to pull out of Delhi for now was nothing more than a mismanagement of aircraft. They pretty much announced reinstatement of the non-stop flight in 2009 when they receive more triple 7's.
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #107
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Personally my airline wishlist includes JAL, ANA, Asiana, Air China, Iberia, Swiss, Scandinavian, Emirates, Qatar.. Hmm, that should be about it. Frankly, I'm surprised many of those airlines don't fly to YYZ already.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #108
globetrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzomoe View Post
bring on emirates!

I second that!

Great find TObermuda37! I never knew Jet Airways had such a nice (new) livery. Can't wait to see it @ YYZ. I wonder what terminal they'll use. Hopefully not 3. It already has enough international carriers. We need to fill up T1 with more! Btw, I just saw my first Lufthansa a340-600 landing at YYZ. Yay!

Last edited by globetrekker; April 19th, 2007 at 09:00 AM.
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #109
globetrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
I think it's becoming clearer and clearer that Air Canada's decision to pull out of Delhi for now was nothing more than a mismanagement of aircraft. They pretty much announced reinstatement of the non-stop flight in 2009 when they receive more triple 7's.
Do you think Jet Airways will stop it's service to Toronto then? I hope not.
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #110
k.r.eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
Do you think Jet Airways will stop it's service to Toronto then? I hope not.
Don't think so given Indian economic growth (9% / year) and growing Indian air traffic.
It would be great to see Jet Airways and Emirates (I'm assuming that Emirates @ YYZ is more of a when rather than if) at T1. Anyone willing to guess on % that this will happen?
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #111
Indias_finest
prolific lurker

yay I will fly jet now
Indias_finest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #112
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.r.eagle View Post
Don't think so given Indian economic growth (9% / year) and growing Indian air traffic.
It would be great to see Jet Airways and Emirates (I'm assuming that Emirates @ YYZ is more of a when rather than if) at T1. Anyone willing to guess on % that this will happen?
I agree. Everytime I speak with someone at Emirates they tell me that the airline is close to finalizing the route, but then no news is made public. I think we should be hearing something by summer for a route beginning in winter. That's the feeling I'm getting from the airline.

Also, I doubt very much that Jet will stop service once Air Canada starts up again. The Indo-Canadian community is large getting larger and trade has been beefed up significantly in the last few years. If anything, Milton said a while back that with the new T7's Air Canada would likely open up a non-stop to Mumbai as well.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:36 AM   #113
Northern Lotus

Likes (Received): 38

Air Canada is increasing their flights from Toronto to Shanghai. The following came from a press release:

Air Canada will add a second daily non-stop flight between Vancouver and Beijing during the summer travel season. The extra flight will operate from July 1 through Sept. 30 on a 211-seat Boeing 767-300 aircraft. Air Canada also announced it would increase the summer frequencies on its Toronto-Shanghai non-stop route, which is scheduled to begin April 6. Initially, Air Canada will fly that route three times a week, but that will increase to daily service as of June 30. The airline will drop back down to three weekly Toronto-Shanghai flights once next year’s winter flight schedule is rolled out. "Air Canada is securing its position as the leading North American carrier to China this summer by adding a second daily Vancouver-Beijing flight and improving its Toronto-Shanghai schedule," Daniel Shurz, Air Canada's vice president of network planning, says in a press release.
Northern Lotus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #114
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Just a quick note. I flew into Toronto on April 20 and transferred planes. Overall, I can tell you that I was very impressed with the airport. I think it looks amazing.

I flew into Terminal 1 (arrived at 3pm), cleared customs, got my bags, loaded them up again for the transfer, and went on my way to my connection 4:30 flight. So, overall the whole process was smooth without any problems. Signs were clear and I had lots of time to spare with the connecting flight.

I have done this before when there were two different terminals and it was a horrible experience. Hopefully, these changes that were made will be streamlined even more. If you are going International to Internaional, there is a small customs area with two customs employees that speeds up the process.

Overall impressions was that it was clean and bright. A bit sterile like everyone said but overall, I can tell you that I was not looking for features cause I was making a connection. I was not checking out the sights. If they plan on making any changes, I would more so say that they should make the arrivals and departures more colourful.

I flew back through today to make the international connection and I walked up the domestic pier and then across on the upper level a then down to the Hammerhead. My opinion is that I was happy. It accomplished what it is supposed too. They are targetting transfer passengers and most of those people want to get to their destination. Anyhow, Just wanted to let everyone know my experience.
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #115
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

Great! sounds like a good experience...well hopefully mine goes just as good!.. im leaving for Rome on May 19 flying Skyservice though dont ask..there was a mix up lol but w/e i can live with that...I'm going for a conference nd i'm taking my family, were staying until June 7 th..I'm a Cardiologist here in Toronto and every once and a while we go all over the world for these conferences! Very interesting i think!..Can't wait to fly out of pearson but i believe its through termianl 3.. nd p.s if anyone has any questions about cardiology and coronary medicine feel free to ask !

AleE..
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #116
ale26

o and by the way.. is that disgusting grafiti on that art work in the new terminal been taken away or something being done about it because it is truely a disgrace to a beatiful hospital and shows the lack of effort and determination to keep this airport one of the best and most secure!

AleE..
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #117
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Terminal 3

Ale,

You will be flying out of Terminal 3 when you leave on Skyservice. Last time I was through there was back in January. Flew from Toronto to Detroit and then onto AMS. Termial 3 is very nice and comfy. I have been to the satelite terminal at Termianl 3 and it is Vastly different from what was originally there. Plus, the changes that were done especially in the US and International area is Great. Much more space and more pleasant.

As for the Artwork in Termial One, it still has the graffiti there. I cannot believe that this was done while it was in use. This had to have taken place before it was oppened, but what do I know. They have it cordined off but if you really wanted, you could get too it.

Enjoy your trip and if I have any questions, I will certainly ask you.

Cheers.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #118
k.r.eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObermuda37 View Post
Ale,

You will be flying out of Terminal 3 when you leave on Skyservice. Last time I was through there was back in January. Flew from Toronto to Detroit and then onto AMS. Termial 3 is very nice and comfy. I have been to the satelite terminal at Termianl 3 and it is Vastly different from what was originally there. Plus, the changes that were done especially in the US and International area is Great. Much more space and more pleasant.

As for the Artwork in Termial One, it still has the graffiti there. I cannot believe that this was done while it was in use. This had to have taken place before it was oppened, but what do I know. They have it cordined off but if you really wanted, you could get too it.

Enjoy your trip and if I have any questions, I will certainly ask you.

Cheers.

I was in T1 before it opened, and there was no grafitti. I think this happened in Feb + March ?

Just found out that I'll be flying KLM to AMS in May on an eventual flight to Zurich. I wanted to go out of T1 Hammerhead, but alas, I've got to connect through AMS to ZUR.
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #119
ale26

Thanks alot!
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #120
globetrekker

Virgin Atlantic @ YYZ

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070424/af...172439eco.html

Virgin Atlantic to order 15 Boeing Dreamliner jets

CHICAGO (AFP) - The Boeing Company announced Tuesday that Virgin Atlantic has ordered 15 of its future 787 Dreamliners, the biggest order for the plane so far from a European carrier.

The order, worth some 2.8 billion dollars at list price, had been listed on Boeing's records as coming from an unidentified customer.

Virgin also took options for an additional eight 787s and purchase rights for an additional 20 of the aircraft, for a total bill of up to eight billion dollars.

The airline hopes to take delivery starting in 2011 and will capitalize on the plane's longer range by offering direct flights from Britain to Perth, Australia and Hawaii.

The British carrier also plans new routes for the planes, to Bangkok, Melbourne, Rio de Janeiro, Seattle, Toronto and Vancouver.

"Virgin Atlantic is pleased to introduce the Boeing 787 Dreamliner as our aircraft of the future," said Steve Ridgway, chief executive officer of Virgin Atlantic, in a joint statement with Boeing.

"This revolutionary aircraft will bring a step change to the industry, substantially reducing environmental impact and incorporating innovative design and advanced technology, while providing an enhanced flying experience for our passengers," he said.

Virgin executives cited the quiet operation and fuel efficiency of the lighter-weight Boeing plane, which is 27 percent more fuel efficient than the comparable Airbus A340-300 jet, as environmentally responsible factors in their decision to go with the US manufacturer.

The Boeings will also be ready before the Airbus A350-XWB, the Airbus offering that Virgin could have selected.

Also on Tuesday, Air Canada announced the purchase of 23 Boeing 787s, bringing its total order for the Dreamliner to 37 jets, for delivery to begin in 2010.

Canada's largest carrier had agreed previously to buy 14 of aircraft to replace its aging Airbus A340 and A330 and Boeing 767 fleets in a deal worth an estimated 3.5 billion dollars.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto