daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM   #1321
globetrekker

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone have pictures/footage of Eva Air at YYZ?
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM   #1322
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 116

I had the opportunity to fly Air Canada to Pearson from SFO... VERY impressed with the airport! I understand for the most part it is new? If so well done!

The only complaint that I have is US Customs (this airport has all US bound persons going through customs before they board and not after they land)... what a bunch of *ssholes! The line was very long and watching the way they interacted with everyone was disappointing. Very rude, abrupt, and unprofessional. These people are some of the first persons people coming into the United States see and their behavior at Pearson is not what I expect of US Government representatives...
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1323
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
I had the opportunity to fly Air Canada to Pearson from SFO... VERY impressed with the airport! I understand for the most part it is new? If so well done!

The only complaint that I have is US Customs (this airport has all US bound persons going through customs before they board and not after they land)... what a bunch of *ssholes! The line was very long and watching the way they interacted with everyone was disappointing. Very rude, abrupt, and unprofessional. These people are some of the first persons people coming into the United States see and their behavior at Pearson is not what I expect of US Government representatives...
Hmm that sounds strange. I went to Vegas the other day and went thru US customs. It was a very early departure, no line up no nothing. Some nice American lady asked me a few questions and I was good to go. It looks to be isolated/shitty person that you came over. Sorry to hear.

I think it has nothing to do if they are Canadian or American. I find it kinda primitive way on the Canadian side when you arive in Pearson. Here is an example, when I arrive from some ultra exotic EU/Asian destionation, they never asked me if I have done some shopping that needs to be declared. So my bag never gets searched up.

When I arrive from Cuba/Dominican/SL , they always seach my bag. I find it funny.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:05 AM   #1324
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Last time I flew into YVR from Beijing, we were thoroughly searched by officials who asked complete nonsense questions. They make you feel like you've landed in Pyongyang or Soviet-era Moscow. Perhaps that explains their "shocking" treatment of Polish people.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #1325
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Interesting news. Jazz will be operationg no less than 6 757-200 for charters on behalf of Thomas Cook.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../05/c7704.html

Jazz Air LP announces flight services agreement with Thomas Cook Canada to operate Boeing 757-200 aircraft
HALIFAX, April 5 /CNW/ - Today, Jazz Air LP announced that it has signed a flight services agreement with Thomas Cook Canada Inc. ("Thomas Cook") to operate no less than six Boeing 757-200 aircraft on their behalf to various sun destinations from Canadian gateways during the winter season (November through April). Subject to Jazz obtaining the required regulatory approvals and the execution of definitive leasing and maintenance agreements with Thomas Cook Airlines Ltd., the service will commence in November 2010.

If on or before May 30, 2010 Jazz and Thomas Cook are able to agree on pricing for the third, fourth and fifth winter seasons, then the agreement will be for a term ending April 30, 2015. Otherwise the agreement will have an initial term ending April 30, 2012.

This agreement is expected to generate approximately $100 million in additional annual revenues. The terms and conditions of the transaction are confidential.

"Growing and diversifying our business remains a top corporate priority; our agreement with Thomas Cook is a strong start that delivers value to all of our stakeholders," said Joseph Randell, President and Chief Executive Officer, Jazz Air LP. "We are thrilled to be partnering with one of the world's largest leisure travel groups, and it's our employees who have brought us to this important milestone. Our demonstrated ability to operate safely, reliably and with excellent customer service at competitive rates is the reason why we are able to grow and diversify our business. All our employees are to be commended for their 'can do' attitude and professionalism."

The opportunity to enter into this strategic partnership provides the potential for additional benefits for all stakeholders with minimum risk. The aircraft will be leased to Jazz Air LP from Thomas Cook Airlines Ltd. The plan is to brand the service as 'Thomas Cook' beginning in January, 2011.

"We see a great fit between Thomas Cook and Jazz," said Michael Friisdahl, President and Chief Executive Officer, Thomas Cook North America. "We're pleased to partner with an airline that prides itself on exceptional customer service and boasts amongst the strongest on-time performance in North America."

About Jazz Air LP

Jazz Air has a strong history in Canadian aviation with its roots going back to the 1930s. Since becoming publicly traded in February 2006, it has generated some of the strongest operational and financial results in the North American aviation industry. Under a capacity purchase agreement with Air Canada, Jazz provides service to and from lower-density markets as well as higher-density markets at off-peak times throughout Canada and to and from certain destinations in the United States. Jazz currently operates scheduled passenger service on behalf of Air Canada with approximately 800 departures per weekday to over 80 destinations in Canada and in the United States with a fleet of Canadian-made Bombardier aircraft. For more information, visit www.flyjazz.ca.

About Thomas Cook

Thomas Cook North America is a division of Thomas Cook Group plc, one of the world's leading leisure travel groups with sales of C$13.4 billion, 22.3 million customers and 31,000 employees. Its travel businesses in Canada include Sunquest Vacations, Fun Sun Vacations, Exotik Tours and Bel Air Travel. With a network of over 3,400 owned and franchised travel stores and interests in 86 hotels and resort properties, Thomas Cook operates in 21 countries including Canada and the United States. For more information, visit www.thomascookgroup.ca or www.thomascookgroup.com.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #1326
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
... I find it kinda primitive way on the Canadian side when you arive in Pearson. Here is an example, when I arrive from some ultra exotic EU/Asian destionation, they never asked me if I have done some shopping that needs to be declared. So my bag never gets searched up.

When I arrive from Cuba/Dominican/SL , they always seach my bag. I find it funny.
Not sure what you mean by primitive in this context. Primitive means without derivation or basic.
Regardless, there is a substantial amount of people trying to bring in more than their allowed alcohol, tobacco, etc. not to mention drugs from caribbean countries which may explain what you're seeing. It has nothing to do with being "primitive".
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #1327
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Not sure what you mean by primitive in this context. Primitive means without derivation or basic.
Regardless, there is a substantial amount of people trying to bring in more than their allowed alcohol, tobacco, etc. not to mention drugs from caribbean countries which may explain what you're seeing. It has nothing to do with being "primitive".
Primitive way of thinking. Just because the goods cost less, it does not mean all of us have to be the drug dealers. You can bring illegal goods from any part of the world. I just do not like the way they do it. It's like , "okay, you came from Paris, I would even bother searching you."

Let alone that I find caribbean vacation peace of junk. There is always some sort of dispute bill with a guest checking out in front of me. The line up is just huge. Also if your company sends you on corporate trip in a real 4 star hotel, you would notice that 4 or 5 star rating in caribbean is a joke. I like to pay more and get better value for my money.
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #1328
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Hmm I just want to conclude EK topic by saying that Emirates will find the way to screw Germans. Take a look at British beast aka British Airways. They have cut a lot LHR-YYZ in the last three years. LH and FRA will get the same.

Here are some of the reasons;

-AC offers a superb product in the peak season with a brand new B777.
-Emirates have moved in with A380 in YYZ. The premium pax that fly from point to point, they do not like to connect via LHR. So I am sure EK will find the way how to take care of LH and FRA.
Also the reason why we have no eastern european carriers in YYZ is because of LH. They flood the market with their promotional airfares and shut down the competition while they sustain the losses down the road. So when this takes place, the former long haul operators become regional carriers. The regional carriers just feed the traffic to LH hubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post

Just because the UAE got the Aussies to bend over without even so much as a kiss doesn't mean that the Canadian Govt. should do the same.
The Australian and Canadian markets are very different in terms of international traffic/pax, and that seems to be mostly ignored in the article and only the similarities highlighted.

The article mentions how AC seems to be protecting LH's hub operations... well with full profit sharing between the two on their transatlantic routes it's to be expected.

I have stated from the beginning that if the UAE was willing to give 5th & 6th Freedoms to AC from AUH or DXB (preferably DXB) then the Canadians would have much less of an issue awarding increased flights.
I know for a fact from some very highly placed sources that the UAE has refused to put this on the table in their negotiations with Canada.

Regardless I don't think we're going to persuade eachother, so let's just agree to disagree on the merits of EK's case to Canada.
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #1329
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

More California on AC.

Link: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../08/c8620.html

Full Details:

Air Canada strengthens position as leading Toronto-California carrier by boosting capacity more than 50 per cent this summer
Lie flat suites on select Los Angeles flights will make California dreaming easy

MONTREAL, April 8 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today launched its California expansion with the inaugural flight of a new service between Toronto and Orange County. The new route is part of a major increase in capacity this summer between Toronto and California that also includes a new route to San Diego, more service to San Francisco and the introduction of a wide-body aircraft, featuring Air Canada's industry leading Executive First service with lie flat suites, on select flights to Los Angeles.

"Air Canada is solidifying its position as the airline offering the most frequencies and capacity between Toronto and California. As a tourist, business and entertainment hotspot, Toronto has a natural affinity with California and that is why we are increasing capacity 51 per cent over last year and operating 77 weekly flights between Toronto and California this summer. Today's launch of service to Orange County, plus additional service to Los Angeles and San Francisco and our new flight to San Diego mean Air Canada will offer customers the widest choice of flights of any carrier between Toronto and California," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice-President and Chief Commercial Officer at Air Canada. "In addition, on select flights to Los Angeles we will deploy a Boeing 767-300ER with our international Executive First service, featuring lie-flat suites in business class. All flights will be operated using aircraft equipped with seat-back, personal in-flight entertainment systems at every seat. Eligible customers can enjoy our concierge service and our Toronto and Los Angeles Maple Leaf Lounges or, in San Francisco and Orange County, our partner United Airlines' Red Carpet Clubs. Customers can also accumulate Air Canada Aeroplan miles or other reward miles from United, US Airways and Continental Airlines."

Customers who experience Air Canada will understand why it was named the top airline in North America for its services in reader surveys by the influential Global Traveler and Business Traveler magazines. With the introduction of the Boeing 767-300ER, with its 180 degree lie flat suites, Air Canada will be the only carrier offering international premium class standards on the Toronto-Los Angeles route. All aircraft will offer all customers free seatback digital in-flight entertainment systems with hundreds of hours of audio-visual entertainment and power plugs and USB ports accessible at each seat. All flights between Toronto and California are timed to make convenient connections with other flights in Air Canada's extensive domestic and international network.

Today, flight AC787 will depart from Toronto at 17:50 and arrive at John Wayne International Airport in Santa Ana, Orange County, at 20:01. Tomorrow, AC786 will depart from Orange County at 8:00 and arrive in Toronto at 15:41. The daily, year-round service will operate with a 120-seat Airbus A319.

Beginning June 1, Air Canada will increase service to Los Angeles by introducing a Boeing 767-300ER aircraft with Executive First, lie flat suites. It will operate Flight AC791, which will depart Toronto at 9:10 and arrive in Los Angeles at 11:28. AC792 using the same aircraft will depart Los Angeles at 12:40 and return to Toronto at 20:09. With four flights a day in the morning, afternoon and evening, Air Canada offers customers the widest range of choice of flight times of any carrier serving Toronto-Los Angeles.

Also on June 1, Air Canada will add a fifth daily frequency between Toronto and San Francisco using an Airbus A319. AC737 will depart Toronto at 8:00 and arrive in San Francisco at 10:26. AC738 will depart San Francisco at 11:15 and arrive in Toronto at 19:05. With five flights a day in the morning, afternoon and evening, Air Canada offers customers the widest range of choice of flight times of any carrier serving Toronto-San Francisco.

Air Canada will commence service between Toronto and San Diego beginning June 17. AC779 will depart Toronto at 17:25 and arrive at San Diego at 19:25. AC780 will depart San Diego at 7:25 and arrive in Toronto at 15:07. Service will be provided using an Airbus A319.

Air Canada, along with Air Canada Jazz and its Tier III partners, will offer up to 144 scheduled flights each day to 51 U.S. destinations from its hub in Toronto, including 22 flights daily to and from California. In total, this summer Air Canada will operate up to 233 flights per day between six points in Canada and 55 destinations in the U.S. Between Canada and California alone, Air Canada will offer this summer 193 flights a week. In addition, this summer Air Canada will also serve 29 domestic and 41 international destinations from Toronto.

Air Canada has an extensive global network, with hubs in four major Canadian cities (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary), providing scheduled passenger service directly to 59 Canadian cities, 55 destinations in the United States and 53 cities in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Mexico and South America. Air Canada and its regional affiliate Jazz operate approximately 1,670 scheduled flights each day on average. Through its strategic and commercial arrangements with Star Alliance(TM) partner airlines (www.staralliance.com), Air Canada offers service to 916 destinations in 160 countries and provides reciprocal top tier frequent flyer benefits

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1330
yyzhyd

Seems like AC is preparing the big guns to welcome for Virgin America's entry into the YYZ.
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1331
yyzhyd

All EK west coast flights are making westbound tech stops in YYZ due to volcano
EK215 DXB-LAX B77L
Arr YYZ 1519
Dep YYZ 1630

EK225 DXB-SFO B77W
Arr YYZ 1519
Dep YYZ 1615

Grab your cameras as you'll see three EK flights in YYZ at the same time!
the A380, B777-300ER, and B777-200LR!
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #1332
yyzhyd

Virgin America YYZ Schedules

Apparently posted on their twitter account...

LAX-YYZ
VX236
Depart Los Angeles (LAX) 11:15PM
Arrive Toronto (YYZ) 7:00AM+1

VX233
Depart Toronto (YYZ) 5:00PM
Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 7:15PM

Frequency: Daily
All flights operated by Airbus A319

SFO-YYZ
VX200
Depart San Francisco (SFO) 8:30AM
Arrive Toronto (YYZ) 3:59PM

VX203
Depart Toronto (YYZ) 8:15AM
Arrive San Francisco (SFO) 10:40AM

Frequency: Daily
All flights operated by Airbus A319

Based on this it looks like the aircraft will switch sectors at YYZ.
(i.e. SFO-YYZ plane will operate the YYZ-LAX sector and
LAX-YYZ plane will operate the YYZ-SFO sector)
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #1333
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

New Open Skies-type agreement announced today between Canada and El Salvador.....

No. H046/10
For release - April 29, 2010

Canada and El Salvador successfully conclude air transport agreement

OTTAWA — Canada’s Transport Minister John Baird and the Honourable Peter Van Loan, Minister of International Trade, today announced that an open skies-type bilateral air transport agreement has been concluded between Canada and El Salvador. This new agreement is another accomplishment under Canada’s Blue Sky international air transportation policy, and is great news for travellers and Canadian businesses.

“Since 2006, the Government of Canada has worked at an unprecedented pace to sign or improve air agreements that allow for greater benefits to Canadian consumers, businesses and our tourism sectors,” said Baird. “This new agreement with El Salvador is part of our commitment to improve and expand air services between Canada and Central America.”

“This agreement will encourage new trade and investment between Canada and El Salvador,” said Minister Van Loan. “The air agreement with El Salvador will help Canadian businesses expand their interests beyond our borders, which in turn will create wealth and prosperity at home — another example of Canada’s continued engagement with the Americas.”

“Deepening Canada’s engagement with the Americas is a priority for this government. This open skies agreement will play an important role in strengthening bilateral relations and will help foster greater people-to-people links between our two countries,” said the Honourable Peter Kent, Minister of Foreign Affairs (Americas).

The agreement, which will replace an agreement negotiated in 1996, provides airlines with substantial flexibility for route selection, frequency of service and price setting. Any number of airlines may sell air transportation between each other’s territory and third countries, in conjunction with scheduled passenger and/or all-cargo air services between the two countries operated at any number of cities in each other’s territory.

New air services are anticipated by airlines of both countries in the near future. Constitutional requirements in El Salvador permit the new agreement to come into force only after it has been ratified.

Since January 2006, the Government of Canada has negotiated open, new or expanded air service agreements with a total of 52 countries, including:

•open skies-type agreements with nine countries: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland, New Zealand, Barbados, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, South Korea and El Salvador;
•expanded agreements with nine countries: Portugal, Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Jordan, Singapore, the Philippines, Morocco and Cuba;
•new “first-time” agreements with nine countries: Algeria, Kuwait, Serbia, Croatia, Panama, Turkey, South Africa, Ethiopia and Tunisia; and
•a comprehensive air transport agreement between Canada and the European Union’s 27 member states. This includes Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Slovakia and Slovenia, with which Canada did not previously have air agreements.
– 30 –
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #1334
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I always wanted to know what happened to Alitalia 747 service to Toronto... Why did they downgrade from MD11/747 to 763? Was it too big or they needed the flexibility to cover Milan and Rome from YYZ? Even AC got rid of their 747s. Maybe it had to do with the cost of fuel in the early 1990s...
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #1335
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Looks like Hainan Airlines has applied for and received rights to start Beijing-Toronto service sometime later on this year. Here's the post from http://airlineroute.net/:

Hainan Airlines applies Maldives/S Africa service; receive rights to Toronto
20100514 by jimyvr Leave a Comment

Hainan Airlines submitted an application to the CAAC for approval to operate following service:

2 weekly Beijing – Male – Johannesburg, Airbus A340-600 or Boeing 767-300 operating

Meanwhile, the airline claims it has received approval to operate nonstop Beijing – Toronto service, which would begin sometime this year.[/I][/I]
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:00 AM   #1336
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

The old Terminal 2 has been demolished, but the attached parking garage still remains. Can it be torn down to make space for a third wing of Terminal 1? Terminal 1 current has two wings.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #1337
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
The old Terminal 2 has been demolished, but the attached parking garage still remains. Can it be torn down to make space for a third wing of Terminal 1? Terminal 1 current has two wings.
The parking garage is currently being used for staff. GTAA fully intends to tear it down and expand Terminal 1 to an additional 3 piers when demand dictates.

Check out pages 15, 16 and 17 of the GTAA's Master Plan for passeger terminals.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1338
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Air India Plans Revamp Of Overseas Operations - Report
1 June 2010
Dow Jones

Air India is planning a reorganization of its international operations, and will concentrate on non-stop connections on long-haul routes, livemint.com reported Monday, citing two company officials familiar with the proceedings of its strategy committee meeting Monday.

The airline is likely to drop Frankfurt as its European hub from November, flying direct to destinations such as Toronto and Chicago from Delhi's new Terminal 3, the website reported the officials as saying.

The airline also plans to start flights to destinations such as Melbourne, the website said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:40 PM   #1339
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Air India Plans Revamp Of Overseas Operations - Report
1 June 2010
Dow Jones

Air India is planning a reorganization of its international operations, and will concentrate on non-stop connections on long-haul routes, livemint.com reported Monday, citing two company officials familiar with the proceedings of its strategy committee meeting Monday.

The airline is likely to drop Frankfurt as its European hub from November, flying direct to destinations such as Toronto and Chicago from Delhi's new Terminal 3, the website reported the officials as saying.

The airline also plans to start flights to destinations such as Melbourne, the website said.
Finally!!! I have no experience in the airline industry and even an amateur like me knew that the Frankfurt (or any European) hub was'nt going to work!!! (for purely immigration purposes, Dublin would have worked as an exception)...
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:58 AM   #1340
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

While its true Air India are axing their Frankfurt hub, there are strong rumours that Air India are simply moving this hub to Dublin, Ireland. Infact, the DAA (Dublin Airport Authority) have confirmed they are in talks with Air India about this.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto