daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #1361
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18157

Any idea where Hainan will fly from?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1362
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

PEK-YYZ nonstop
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #1363
QATAR77WLover

Likes (Received): 0

If they do the DOH-YYZ, is there actually any demand? I heard that QATAR government is making it much harder for Canadians to get visas. They have to have sponsors. What if someone simply wants to transit in DOH and get out for a few hours, and yet they need all the documentation. Now, I'm not sure whether this info has been updated or not.
I'm pretty sure they'll use 77W, since it's within the same range as JFK and IAD. They need to save the 77L solely for IAH. Even MEL doesn't really need a 77L. They could function on a 77W.
QATAR77WLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1364
QATAR77WLover

I'm flying HKG-DOH-JFK. I wish they would fly to YYZ so I can save myself the ticket from JFK-YYZ.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1365
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by QATAR77WLover View Post
If they do the DOH-YYZ, is there actually any demand? I heard that QATAR government is making it much harder for Canadians to get visas. They have to have sponsors. What if someone simply wants to transit in DOH and get out for a few hours, and yet they need all the documentation. Now, I'm not sure whether this info has been updated or not.
I'm pretty sure they'll use 77W, since it's within the same range as JFK and IAD. They need to save the 77L solely for IAH. Even MEL doesn't really need a 77L. They could function on a 77W.
There is no Canadian embassy in Doha, and there isn't a Qatari embassy in Canada either, i am going to Canada on saturday, i had to send my passport to Abudhabi to get a visa from the Canadian embassy over their... everything is complicated....
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1366
QATAR77WLover

I'll get back to you with an answer . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzomoe View Post
Is Qatar airways flying to Toronto in the near future? I noticed they had a recruiting drive in toronto on June 12th. Anybody attended have the info?
LINK
I've written them to ask them. I'll wait for their answer. I want to know too so that I don't have to fly out of JFK or IAD or IAH.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #1367
QATAR77WLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
There is no Canadian embassy in Doha, and there isn't a Qatari embassy in Canada either, i am going to Canada on saturday, i had to send my passport to Abudhabi to get a visa from the Canadian embassy over their... everything is complicated....
Exactly what i was afraid of! Maybe they need to push ahead with the bilateral agreement. I think maybe QR is the only redeeming feature of their country? Other than oil.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #1368
QATAR77WLover

Thumbs Up to Air India on this decision!

IMHO, AI has the capability to do DEL-YYZ on a 77L without LHR or FRA. AI used LHR for their ORD service because they use a 744 that doesn't have that range I presume. But how does AA manage to do ORD-DEL nonstop on a 772 (ER)? For the obvious religious purpose, they offer Amritsar as a sensible destination as Toronto (especially around Malton) is home to Punjabi diaspora. They have lots of temples around there when coming down on Airport Road South from Hwy 7.

I'm really hoping that 9W will make some sense and cut BRU from the YYZ route and fly nonstop to either BOM or DEL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
Finally!!! I have no experience in the airline industry and even an amateur like me knew that the Frankfurt (or any European) hub was'nt going to work!!! (for purely immigration purposes, Dublin would have worked as an exception)...
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #1369
QATAR77WLover

Was it really for Immigration or Refuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QATAR77WLover View Post
IMHO, AI has the capability to do DEL-YYZ on a 77L without LHR or FRA. AI used LHR for their ORD service because they use a 744 that doesn't have that range I presume. But how does AA manage to do ORD-DEL nonstop on a 772 (ER)? For the obvious religious purpose, they offer Amritsar as a sensible destination as Toronto (especially around Malton) is home to Punjabi diaspora. They have lots of temples around there when coming down on Airport Road South from Hwy 7.

I'm really hoping that 9W will make some sense and cut BRU from the YYZ route and fly nonstop to either BOM or DEL.
Is FRA and LHR used as European ports of entry SOLELY for immigration or refuel or are they generating enough revenue to fly ORD-LHR, EWR-FRA, and YYZ-LHR (and connections)?
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #1370
QATAR77WLover

Finally restoring its former glory!

I'm liking this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
More California on AC.

Link: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../08/c8620.html

Full Details:

Air Canada strengthens position as leading Toronto-California carrier by boosting capacity more than 50 per cent this summer
Lie flat suites on select Los Angeles flights will make California dreaming easy

MONTREAL, April 8 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today launched its California expansion with the inaugural flight of a new service between Toronto and Orange County. The new route is part of a major increase in capacity this summer between Toronto and California that also includes a new route to San Diego, more service to San Francisco and the introduction of a wide-body aircraft, featuring Air Canada's industry leading Executive First service with lie flat suites, on select flights to Los Angeles.

"Air Canada is solidifying its position as the airline offering the most frequencies and capacity between Toronto and California. As a tourist, business and entertainment hotspot, Toronto has a natural affinity with California and that is why we are increasing capacity 51 per cent over last year and operating 77 weekly flights between Toronto and California this summer. Today's launch of service to Orange County, plus additional service to Los Angeles and San Francisco and our new flight to San Diego mean Air Canada will offer customers the widest choice of flights of any carrier between Toronto and California," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice-President and Chief Commercial Officer at Air Canada. "In addition, on select flights to Los Angeles we will deploy a Boeing 767-300ER with our international Executive First service, featuring lie-flat suites in business class. All flights will be operated using aircraft equipped with seat-back, personal in-flight entertainment systems at every seat. Eligible customers can enjoy our concierge service and our Toronto and Los Angeles Maple Leaf Lounges or, in San Francisco and Orange County, our partner United Airlines' Red Carpet Clubs. Customers can also accumulate Air Canada Aeroplan miles or other reward miles from United, US Airways and Continental Airlines."

Customers who experience Air Canada will understand why it was named the top airline in North America for its services in reader surveys by the influential Global Traveler and Business Traveler magazines. With the introduction of the Boeing 767-300ER, with its 180 degree lie flat suites, Air Canada will be the only carrier offering international premium class standards on the Toronto-Los Angeles route. All aircraft will offer all customers free seatback digital in-flight entertainment systems with hundreds of hours of audio-visual entertainment and power plugs and USB ports accessible at each seat. All flights between Toronto and California are timed to make convenient connections with other flights in Air Canada's extensive domestic and international network.

Today, flight AC787 will depart from Toronto at 17:50 and arrive at John Wayne International Airport in Santa Ana, Orange County, at 20:01. Tomorrow, AC786 will depart from Orange County at 8:00 and arrive in Toronto at 15:41. The daily, year-round service will operate with a 120-seat Airbus A319.

Beginning June 1, Air Canada will increase service to Los Angeles by introducing a Boeing 767-300ER aircraft with Executive First, lie flat suites. It will operate Flight AC791, which will depart Toronto at 9:10 and arrive in Los Angeles at 11:28. AC792 using the same aircraft will depart Los Angeles at 12:40 and return to Toronto at 20:09. With four flights a day in the morning, afternoon and evening, Air Canada offers customers the widest range of choice of flight times of any carrier serving Toronto-Los Angeles.

Also on June 1, Air Canada will add a fifth daily frequency between Toronto and San Francisco using an Airbus A319. AC737 will depart Toronto at 8:00 and arrive in San Francisco at 10:26. AC738 will depart San Francisco at 11:15 and arrive in Toronto at 19:05. With five flights a day in the morning, afternoon and evening, Air Canada offers customers the widest range of choice of flight times of any carrier serving Toronto-San Francisco.

Air Canada will commence service between Toronto and San Diego beginning June 17. AC779 will depart Toronto at 17:25 and arrive at San Diego at 19:25. AC780 will depart San Diego at 7:25 and arrive in Toronto at 15:07. Service will be provided using an Airbus A319.

Air Canada, along with Air Canada Jazz and its Tier III partners, will offer up to 144 scheduled flights each day to 51 U.S. destinations from its hub in Toronto, including 22 flights daily to and from California. In total, this summer Air Canada will operate up to 233 flights per day between six points in Canada and 55 destinations in the U.S. Between Canada and California alone, Air Canada will offer this summer 193 flights a week. In addition, this summer Air Canada will also serve 29 domestic and 41 international destinations from Toronto.

Air Canada has an extensive global network, with hubs in four major Canadian cities (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary), providing scheduled passenger service directly to 59 Canadian cities, 55 destinations in the United States and 53 cities in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Mexico and South America. Air Canada and its regional affiliate Jazz operate approximately 1,670 scheduled flights each day on average. Through its strategic and commercial arrangements with Star Alliance(TM) partner airlines (www.staralliance.com), Air Canada offers service to 916 destinations in 160 countries and provides reciprocal top tier frequent flyer benefits
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #1371
QATAR77WLover

MS to YYZ? Fantastic! New options to Asia as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
http://www.travelweekly.com/article3_ektid211724.aspx

Maybe it's interpretation, but I would suggest that "candidate cities" means that it will be 777 candidate cities. Seems like they're growing faster than expected.
I would favor such a route. I can fly YYZ-CAI-BKK-CAN (and then take the intercity train to Hung Hom Station).

IMO, a 772 would fare better than a 333. 333 has the range?
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1372
QATAR77WLover

Bilateral air routes - YYZ and PTY

Commenting on Panama, Air Transat currently holds the right to serve YYZ and PTY. Sometimes Westjet does the charter too. However, since 2005, I have heard COPA stating it would start service to Toronto. It has reneged on its word. If it ever becomes a reality in this millennium, maybe I'll fly them again. In the meantime, I'll stick to TACA when flying from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
New Open Skies-type agreement announced today between Canada and El Salvador.....

No. H046/10
For release - April 29, 2010

Canada and El Salvador successfully conclude air transport agreement

OTTAWA — Canada’s Transport Minister John Baird and the Honourable Peter Van Loan, Minister of International Trade, today announced that an open skies-type bilateral air transport agreement has been concluded between Canada and El Salvador. This new agreement is another accomplishment under Canada’s Blue Sky international air transportation policy, and is great news for travellers and Canadian businesses.

“Since 2006, the Government of Canada has worked at an unprecedented pace to sign or improve air agreements that allow for greater benefits to Canadian consumers, businesses and our tourism sectors,” said Baird. “This new agreement with El Salvador is part of our commitment to improve and expand air services between Canada and Central America.”

“This agreement will encourage new trade and investment between Canada and El Salvador,” said Minister Van Loan. “The air agreement with El Salvador will help Canadian businesses expand their interests beyond our borders, which in turn will create wealth and prosperity at home — another example of Canada’s continued engagement with the Americas.”

“Deepening Canada’s engagement with the Americas is a priority for this government. This open skies agreement will play an important role in strengthening bilateral relations and will help foster greater people-to-people links between our two countries,” said the Honourable Peter Kent, Minister of Foreign Affairs (Americas).

The agreement, which will replace an agreement negotiated in 1996, provides airlines with substantial flexibility for route selection, frequency of service and price setting. Any number of airlines may sell air transportation between each other’s territory and third countries, in conjunction with scheduled passenger and/or all-cargo air services between the two countries operated at any number of cities in each other’s territory.

New air services are anticipated by airlines of both countries in the near future. Constitutional requirements in El Salvador permit the new agreement to come into force only after it has been ratified.

Since January 2006, the Government of Canada has negotiated open, new or expanded air service agreements with a total of 52 countries, including:

•open skies-type agreements with nine countries: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland, New Zealand, Barbados, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, South Korea and El Salvador;
•expanded agreements with nine countries: Portugal, Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Jordan, Singapore, the Philippines, Morocco and Cuba;
•new “first-time” agreements with nine countries: Algeria, Kuwait, Serbia, Croatia, Panama, Turkey, South Africa, Ethiopia and Tunisia; and
•a comprehensive air transport agreement between Canada and the European Union’s 27 member states. This includes Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Slovakia and Slovenia, with which Canada did not previously have air agreements.
– 30 –
Old July 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1373
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Egyptair

Confirmation that Toronto will be added to their network as of next summer. Not sure if this was confirmed or not but a repost here and there is not bad.

Link:
http://atwonline.com/airline-finance...expansion-0709

Quote:
Passenger feedback on its first two 777-300s, which arrived earlier this year and feature a new cabin including the carrier’s first fully flat seats in business class, is “extremely positive,” Chairman and CEO Hussein Massoud told ATW during the recent Star Alliance event in Athens to induct Aegean Airlines into the grouping. MS will deploy the new aircraft on its daily Cairo-New York JFK flights starting in December. It will commence thrice-weekly CAI-Copenhagen service Oct. 1 aboard a 737-800 and next summer it will add Toronto as its second North American destination, Massoud revealed.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #1374
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18157

^ Does it need to make a technical stop in Europe or it will be a nonstop?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #1375
yyzspotting

Avianca in Toronto

I remember reading an article in the February/March News on www.yyznews.com saying that Avianca would like to operate flights to both Toronto and Montreal using Airbus A319s. Can anyone confirm.
yyzspotting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #1376
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
It will be non-stop...99% sure of that according to an Egytpair friend in Cairo.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #1377
egypt69

Likes (Received): 1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Egyptair

Confirmation that Toronto will be added to their network as of next summer. Not sure if this was confirmed or not but a repost here and there is not bad.

Link:
http://atwonline.com/airline-finance...expansion-0709

Quote:
Passenger feedback on its first two 777-300s, which arrived earlier this year and feature a new cabin including the carrier’s first fully flat seats in business class, is “extremely positive,” Chairman and CEO Hussein Massoud told ATW during the recent Star Alliance event in Athens to induct Aegean Airlines into the grouping. MS will deploy the new aircraft on its daily Cairo-New York JFK flights starting in December. It will commence thrice-weekly CAI-Copenhagen service Oct. 1 aboard a 737-800 and next summer it will add Toronto as its second North American destination, Massoud revealed.
If true, this is excellent news!! I will be the first passenger!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Nope, I expect EgyptAir to use their brand new A330-300s which are due to arrive next month, non-stop on the Toronto route. Like EgyptAir's B777-300ERs (which could also serve this route non-stop), the A330-300s will have PTVs (Personal Televisions) in all classes, lie flat seats in business class, and Wi-fi and mobile roaming service throughout the aircraft
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:36 PM   #1378
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Hainan Airlines Starting YYZ Soon

from the CTA website, they are being given permission to begin marketing the flight while their Canadian license application is pending.....although Aug 7 seems like an impossibly tight startup timeframe....

Order No. 2010-A-402
July 20, 2010

APPLICATION by Hainan Airlines Company Limited for an exemption from the application of section 59 of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended.

File No. M4212/H239-4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hainan Airlines Company Limited (applicant) has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for an exemption to permit it to sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale, a scheduled international air service between the People's Republic of China and Canada, in the absence of a licence.

Section 59 of the Canada Transportation Act (CTA) states that no person shall sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada an air service unless, if required under Part II of the CTA, the person holds a licence under that part in respect of that service and that licence is not suspended. The applicant has applied for a scheduled international licence to operate a service between the People's Republic of China and Canada. However, as the application is not yet complete, an exemption from the application of section 59 of the CTA is necessary in order to allow the applicant to sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada the proposed air service prior to obtaining the applied for licence.

The applicant states that it proposes to start operating its service between the People's Republic of China and Canada on August 7, 2010 and that it is in the process of obtaining a Canadian foreign air operator certificate issued by Transport Canada which is required to complete the licence application. Consequently, the applicant submits that in order for the proposed service to be viable and economic, it must be allowed to start selling in advance.

The Agency has carefully reviewed and considered the application and is of the opinion that in order for the proposed service to be viable, the applicant must be able to offer for sale seats at the earliest possible date. Therefore, the Agency finds that compliance by the applicant with section 59 of the CTA is impractical in the present circumstances.

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 80(1)(c) of the CTA, exempts the applicant from the application of section 59 of the CTA, effective from the date of this Order, permitting it to sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale, a scheduled international air service between the People's Republic of China and Canada, without holding the required licence, subject to the following conditions:

1. All passengers shall be notified, before reservation, that the scheduled international service is subject to government approval. All future advertising in any media, whether in writing or by telecommunication, shall also include this information.

2. The applicant shall apply its published tariffs, on file with the Agency and in effect, to sales of transportation.

3. The exemption does not relieve the applicant from the requirement to hold a licence in respect of the service to be provided and, accordingly, no flights shall be operated until the appropriate licence authority has been granted.

4. The applicant shall arrange to provide alternative air transportation by an appropriately licensed air carrier, at no additional cost for all passengers who have made reservations with the applicant, or, if such arrangements are not possible or acceptable to the passenger, to provide a full refund of all monies paid by the passenger, should the international scheduled licence not issue.

This exemption does not exempt the applicant from the requirements of other legislatives act or regulations, including those of Transport Canada.
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:25 PM   #1379
yyzspotting

Wow! That is awesome news! Thank you yyzer! August 7 is fast approaching. It seems to be a bit soon though....
yyzspotting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM   #1380
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

According to Airline Routes, Turkish will be using 777's on their YYZ-IST from March 3 to 11, 2011. It's a while away but still a nice upgrade..for all the spotters out there.

http://airlineroute.net/2010/07/22/t...10/#more-23052
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto