daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM   #1441
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Wicked! Now here is where I need some help. Just picked up a 300MM lense and I wanna do some shots at YYZ. What about Dixon road where it hits the 427? That is one approach where I can see the birds fly over my head quite close considering that they land right after the 427.

Good idea? I have been told that Peel cops patrol that area.
300mm prime or a zoom lens?
The following locations are best for spotting at YYZ with minimal PRP harrassment.

Rwy 23:
Wendy's Parking Lot (Airport Rd. & Orlando Dr.)

Rwy 24R & 24L:
Arizona's Parking Lot (Carlingview Dr. just south of Dixon Rd.)

Rwy 5:
Director Gate (Dixie Rd. just south of Derry Rd. E.)

Rwy 6R & 6L:
Sheridan Circle (Near Dixie Rd. & Shawson Dr.)

Rwy 33R:
BAX Infield Cargo Terminal

Rwy 33L & 15R:
The Hill #2 (Courtneypark Dr. E. just north of Britannia Rd. E.)
This spot is for quick in an out for specific shots... can't really plant yourself on top of the hill like the old days.

Rwy 15L:
Skycharter Parking Lot (Derry Rd. E. & Vanguard)

Hope that helps... Happy Spotting!
some of my shots from YYZ on Airliners.net

Last edited by yyzhyd; September 2nd, 2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added link
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM   #1442
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
300mm prime or a zoom lens?
The following locations are best for spotting at YYZ with minimal PRP harrassment.

Rwy 23:
Wendy's Parking Lot (Airport Rd. & Orlando Dr.)

Rwy 24R & 24L:
Arizona's Parking Lot (Carlingview Dr. just south of Dixon Rd.)

Rwy 5:
Director Gate (Dixie Rd. just south of Derry Rd. E.)

Rwy 6R & 6L:
Sheridan Circle (Near Dixie Rd. & Shawson Dr.)

Rwy 33R:
BAX Infield Cargo Terminal

Rwy 33L & 15R:
The Hill #2 (Courtneypark Dr. E. just north of Britannia Rd. E.)
This spot is for quick in an out for specific shots... can't really plant yourself on top of the hill like the old days.

Rwy 15L:
Skycharter Parking Lot (Derry Rd. E. & Vanguard)

Hope that helps... Happy Spotting!
some of my shots from YYZ on Airliners.net

Wish I were that loaded to go with a prime one hehe. I will stick with the zoom lens with an "IS"....Btw thanks for the recommandations. I am not sure if I know the runways by hearth. Can someone post a decent map. Thanks again.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1443
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18149

Really depends which direction planes are landing from as well ... maybe you need to listen to the ATC frequency first, then decide which spotting location would be most appropriate?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1444
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Really depends which direction planes are landing from as well ... maybe you need to listen to the ATC frequency first, then decide which spotting location would be most appropriate?
Yeah, that one is a must.
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1445
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
I would not suggest there. They have cracked down a whole lot on that area. You are best to sit in the parking lot where Aviation World is. It is on the other side of the 427.

Also you can try where the TD Bank is located on airport road for the other runway. Cannor remember the name but there is usually a lot of people there.
That is right. I have been told that they put some fence around the 427 since 911. I can not see it too well from google due to the angle facing from the air.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #1446
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

YYZ in action

Just came back from my first trip , and made some decent shots for the crew on here. Enjoy guys!

Emirates A380/EK THE KING!

3 - landing

B767 LO/LOT

B777 East Indian pride!

B777-300 Air Canada

B767 Alitalia

WESTJET 737/8 NG

A330 TURKISH

A330 AIR TRANSAT

[/QUOTE]
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1447
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

So, Air Canada has applied for and been approved for service to Turkey. Most likely via code sharing as per their application. Does this mean they will code share with THY? Maybe via Europe and Lufthansa?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #1448
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Well Turkish (THY) is a Star Alliance member. I assume Air Canada would codeshare with them as it's a direct flight from Toronto to Istanbul.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #1449
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Maybe the code share agreement in its best, but I doubt we will see AC in IST soon...... THY gets a lot of traffic from YYZ where IST is not their final destination. That is a disadventage for AC.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:25 AM   #1450
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Ethiopian announced they are planning YYZ for summer 2011, with 777-200LRs.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...77-200lrs.html
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM   #1451
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

Love them pics up there They're fantastic!
IrishMan2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1452
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Ethiopian announced they are planning YYZ for summer 2011, with 777-200LRs.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...77-200lrs.html
That's great news! I was wondering when they would make an announcement. So it looks like we'll be seeing Ethiopian, Egyptair, maybe Qatar and likely at least one more Chinese carrier in 2011. Should be an exciting year for YYZ.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM   #1453
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

YU-AMC:

THANK YOU.
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #1454
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodavo View Post
YU-AMC:

THANK YOU.
Thanks. I would love to get some images of KLM 747, as well as their MD 11. The MD comes in late around 8ish when it gets dark. I am looking to pay a few more visits. It was my first time and I loved it.
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #1455
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

KLM is going up to double daily in 2011 from the 10 they had this year during the peak season. Great to see some success out there. Seems that the market is picking up. Looking forward to next year and what comes about.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #1456
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Part II from the last Friday along Mid 25c

Old October 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #1457
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

LH A346

Air India B777

KL B747

KL B747

touch down

Canada Air Force fighterjet

AF A340

AC B777 POWERED BY GE90-115B (C-FIVS)

2nd

3rd

Old October 12th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #1458
hkskyline
Hong Kong

How we lost an airbase and some NATO clout
Tensions with Emirates erupt in unrelated fight over airline routes

12 October 2010
The Toronto Star

WASHINGTON -- It's an embarrassing Thanksgiving when secret talks break down to save a secret military base that was never really secret.

Long-simmering tensions between Canada and the United Arab Emirates boiled over Monday. It began with the news that Canadian Forces must quickly abandon Camp Mirage, the not-so-clandestine Canadian logistics base in the desert south of Dubai.

Later, the UAE expressed its displeasure with outright diplomatic injury, barring Canada's top military leaders from flying home through its airspace after a two-day tour in Afghanistan.

It was a face-reddening moment for Defence Minister Peter MacKay, Veterans Affairs Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn and the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Walt Natynczyk, who suddenly found themselves shunned by what for nearly a decade has been Canada's strongest ally in the region.

Just hours earlier in Kandahar, MacKay had confirmed that Canada was being forced to vacate its military base in the UAE following the failure of negotiations to expand aviation links between the two countries.

"There have been discussions going on between the minister of foreign affairs (Lawrence Cannon) and his counterpart. These discussions have been going on for some time," MacKay said shortly before he boarded the rerouted plane.

"And at this point, we will abide by the wishes of the Emirates, and ... we will be leaving the base."

As military and political analysts unravel the layers of embarrassment, it is timing that looms largest.

Just as our war-weary boots on the ground in Kandahar ready for the exit, the United Arab Emirates is seizing the exit ramp - publicly punishing Canada for an unrelated spat over commercial air routes.

It has ordered Canada to vacate Camp Mirage within 30 days. How much the development actually aggravates Canada's July 2011 pullout from Afghanistan remains to be seen.

The message from Ottawa Monday was one of cool assurance, insisting the forced exit from Dubai falls in the category of annoyance, not disaster. Plan Bs abound.

But if nothing else, the flap illustrates that military withdrawal from Afghanistan is a very lonely business.

Just ask the Dutch.

It is the Netherlands, not Canada, that holds the distinction of first out the door in restive southern Afghanistan.

And though the process of drawing down the 2,000-strong Dutch contingent is only two-thirds complete, it's been difficult.

"Canada is now in the same position as us. We had some real clout at the (NATO) table and now it's gone. Leaving is a delicate business," said Frank van Kappen, a Dutch military analyst and NATO adviser.

Unsure how much allied help they would receive in exiting, the Dutch decided to pay for an additional 1,000 soldiers in Afghanistan to ensure the departing soldiers would be shielded against ambush.

"But after all these plans were enacted, our allies stepped up and said they would help. So we sent another 1,000 troops and then in the end the Americans and British allowed us to piggyback on their existing convoys. We spent a lot to move all those extra troops into place and now we've taken about 600 back home because there was no need for them."

Van Kappen said he was surprised the Canada-UAE spat broke openly in the full glare of the news media. Canada's wasta - that's the Arabic word for clout - may be in decline in Dubai, but the U.S. and British still hold plenty of sway.

In the spirit of friends helping friends, he suggested this could have been solved behind the scenes, with the Emirates giving Canada at least one more year to erase Mirage.

"But now that it is public, I suspect we will see plenty of American and British help to provide Canada with a Plan B," he said.

Established in the fall of 2001 as a logistics base just as Canadian Forces prepared for the post-9/11 campaign in Afghanistan, Camp Mirage has been a poorly guarded secret from the beginning.

Canadian Forces officials have insisted on maintaining the charade of secrecy concerning the Canadian annex at the UAE's Al Minhad Air Base - not on the grounds of operational security, but rather with the intent of not embarrassing the host country by openly acknowledging the armed Canadian presence.

Emirates diplomats, however, appear no longer to care who knows of Mirage now that Canada has refused its bid for improved landing rights in Canada for Emirates Airline and Etihad Airways, the UAE's state-of-the-art national carriers.

Canadian officials sought the high road late Monday, downplaying the furor and reaffirming that Ottawa "fully expects to maintain a positive relationship" with the UAE.

The importance of Camp Mirage began to fade two years ago, when Canadian Forces shifted from the smaller prop-driven Hercules to the massive jet-fuelled C-17 Globemaster as its transport aircraft of choice, said Col. (Ret.) Alain Pellerin, executive director of the Conference of Defence Associations Institute.

"It's a pain in the butt to be told that Camp Mirage, which was due to operate till next year with the end of the fighting mission next summer, will have to close in 30 days," said Pellerin.

"It means that they'll have to work 24 hours a day to make sure that they meet the deadline ... but it won't have any strategic impact on the combat mission in Afghanistan because a lot of the paths that were undertaken from Mirage to Kandahar in particular can be done from somewhere else."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #1459
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
How we lost an airbase and some NATO clout
Tensions with Emirates erupt in unrelated fight over airline routes

12 October 2010
The Toronto Star

WASHINGTON -- It's an embarrassing Thanksgiving when secret talks break down to save a secret military base that was never really secret.

Long-simmering tensions between Canada and the United Arab Emirates boiled over Monday. It began with the news that Canadian Forces must quickly abandon Camp Mirage, the not-so-clandestine Canadian logistics base in the desert south of Dubai.

Later, the UAE expressed its displeasure with outright diplomatic injury, barring Canada's top military leaders from flying home through its airspace after a two-day tour in Afghanistan.

It was a face-reddening moment for Defence Minister Peter MacKay, Veterans Affairs Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn and the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Walt Natynczyk, who suddenly found themselves shunned by what for nearly a decade has been Canada's strongest ally in the region.

Just hours earlier in Kandahar, MacKay had confirmed that Canada was being forced to vacate its military base in the UAE following the failure of negotiations to expand aviation links between the two countries.

"There have been discussions going on between the minister of foreign affairs (Lawrence Cannon) and his counterpart. These discussions have been going on for some time," MacKay said shortly before he boarded the rerouted plane.

"And at this point, we will abide by the wishes of the Emirates, and ... we will be leaving the base."

As military and political analysts unravel the layers of embarrassment, it is timing that looms largest.

Just as our war-weary boots on the ground in Kandahar ready for the exit, the United Arab Emirates is seizing the exit ramp - publicly punishing Canada for an unrelated spat over commercial air routes.

It has ordered Canada to vacate Camp Mirage within 30 days. How much the development actually aggravates Canada's July 2011 pullout from Afghanistan remains to be seen.

The message from Ottawa Monday was one of cool assurance, insisting the forced exit from Dubai falls in the category of annoyance, not disaster. Plan Bs abound.

But if nothing else, the flap illustrates that military withdrawal from Afghanistan is a very lonely business.

Just ask the Dutch.

It is the Netherlands, not Canada, that holds the distinction of first out the door in restive southern Afghanistan.

And though the process of drawing down the 2,000-strong Dutch contingent is only two-thirds complete, it's been difficult.

"Canada is now in the same position as us. We had some real clout at the (NATO) table and now it's gone. Leaving is a delicate business," said Frank van Kappen, a Dutch military analyst and NATO adviser.

Unsure how much allied help they would receive in exiting, the Dutch decided to pay for an additional 1,000 soldiers in Afghanistan to ensure the departing soldiers would be shielded against ambush.

"But after all these plans were enacted, our allies stepped up and said they would help. So we sent another 1,000 troops and then in the end the Americans and British allowed us to piggyback on their existing convoys. We spent a lot to move all those extra troops into place and now we've taken about 600 back home because there was no need for them."

Van Kappen said he was surprised the Canada-UAE spat broke openly in the full glare of the news media. Canada's wasta - that's the Arabic word for clout - may be in decline in Dubai, but the U.S. and British still hold plenty of sway.

In the spirit of friends helping friends, he suggested this could have been solved behind the scenes, with the Emirates giving Canada at least one more year to erase Mirage.

"But now that it is public, I suspect we will see plenty of American and British help to provide Canada with a Plan B," he said.

Established in the fall of 2001 as a logistics base just as Canadian Forces prepared for the post-9/11 campaign in Afghanistan, Camp Mirage has been a poorly guarded secret from the beginning.

Canadian Forces officials have insisted on maintaining the charade of secrecy concerning the Canadian annex at the UAE's Al Minhad Air Base - not on the grounds of operational security, but rather with the intent of not embarrassing the host country by openly acknowledging the armed Canadian presence.

Emirates diplomats, however, appear no longer to care who knows of Mirage now that Canada has refused its bid for improved landing rights in Canada for Emirates Airline and Etihad Airways, the UAE's state-of-the-art national carriers.

Canadian officials sought the high road late Monday, downplaying the furor and reaffirming that Ottawa "fully expects to maintain a positive relationship" with the UAE.

The importance of Camp Mirage began to fade two years ago, when Canadian Forces shifted from the smaller prop-driven Hercules to the massive jet-fuelled C-17 Globemaster as its transport aircraft of choice, said Col. (Ret.) Alain Pellerin, executive director of the Conference of Defence Associations Institute.

"It's a pain in the butt to be told that Camp Mirage, which was due to operate till next year with the end of the fighting mission next summer, will have to close in 30 days," said Pellerin.

"It means that they'll have to work 24 hours a day to make sure that they meet the deadline ... but it won't have any strategic impact on the combat mission in Afghanistan because a lot of the paths that were undertaken from Mirage to Kandahar in particular can be done from somewhere else."
The UAE is like a spoiled kid...throw a tantrum and expect someone to cave in.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #1460
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Well .. and it seems they have far more power to impact Canada than the other way around.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto