daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #1461
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Well .. and it seems they have far more power to impact Canada than the other way around.
Maybe for now given that Canada has to find a new base in the region but long term I don't think either country will be deeply and profoundly impacted. Incidentally, I do think Canada should loosen the bilateral agreement to at least allow daily flights for both Emirates and Etihad, but the UAE's reaction is childish. I doubt very much that AC's Frankfurt or LHR routes will be affected by Emirates receiving daily flights to Toronto - there's more than enough demand on both airlines and through traffic via Frankfurt and LHR to other cities for AC and it's partners to justify daily flights for Emirates and Etihad. It is a little peculiar as to why Emirates is pushing so hard for Calgary and Vancouver though. If AC sees no need to even fly to Frankfurt from Vancouver then why is Emirates such a genius all of a sudden. Also, let's not forget that AC is not the only airline in a small country (population-wise) that has cried foul before. Remember AC being shut out of Singapore years ago and also being shut out of YYZ-LAX-SYD. Every country's national carrier is in it to protect it's own interest and the fact that Emirates is practically the only international airline turning a huge profit because of state sponsorship, it's not a complete level playing field. Again, though, I think it would serve Canada well to at least open things up to daily flights.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #1462
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Calgary and Vancouver currently don't have much choice when travelling to the Middle East / India. Some on the West Coast either transit on the East Coast, or fly an Asian carrier west and connect somewhere in East Asia. I don't think it makes much of a difference for them to go west or east actually, and Emirates can put enough capacity and run lower costs to attract passengers. They have a very strong regional network especially into India so can likely compete well against existing carriers - probably even more attractive than the likes of Cathay or Lufthansa. EK probably also sees AC will not likely compete against them directly soon as there aren't enough long-haul planes in the fleet to do so.

But then, AC is not necessarily a great bastion of private enterprise either. They have received quite a lot of taxpayer dollars over the years.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #1463
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quite a developing story if you ask me. EK seem to bite like a croc hehehe.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #1464
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
But then, AC is not necessarily a great bastion of private enterprise either. They have received quite a lot of taxpayer dollars over the years.
And neither is AA, UA, CO and the list goes on. Lets not make this out that AC is the only airline the world over that received subsidies from the national govenrment. The US Industry was deregulated back in the 70's and on numerous occasions they have received loans from the government. It happens the world over.

This notion about the free market just makes me laugh. Everyone is all about the consumer and choices for the consumer. Well, if you can find me a country that does not protect their home turf, i am all ears. If someone says the USA, I will point out the case currently ongoing with Boeing and Airbus. They both receive subsidies as does Bombardier etc.

The whole point of the WTO is for when these cases arise. And they arise more often than not. It is great in theory, but reality is, when the need arises, any government will come out swinging for their national companies.

Also note that it was not only AC, but also WJ and other airlines in Canada that lobbied the government. But that is just what I read in the papers.

For me, if they want more access, go for it, but this tit for tat nonsence is just that. If I hit you, then you hit me back and so on. When does it stop?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #1465
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
And neither is AA, UA, CO and the list goes on. Lets not make this out that AC is the only airline the world over that received subsidies from the national govenrment. The US Industry was deregulated back in the 70's and on numerous occasions they have received loans from the government. It happens the world over.

This notion about the free market just makes me laugh. Everyone is all about the consumer and choices for the consumer. Well, if you can find me a country that does not protect their home turf, i am all ears. If someone says the USA, I will point out the case currently ongoing with Boeing and Airbus. They both receive subsidies as does Bombardier etc.

The whole point of the WTO is for when these cases arise. And they arise more often than not. It is great in theory, but reality is, when the need arises, any government will come out swinging for their national companies.

Also note that it was not only AC, but also WJ and other airlines in Canada that lobbied the government. But that is just what I read in the papers.

For me, if they want more access, go for it, but this tit for tat nonsence is just that. If I hit you, then you hit me back and so on. When does it stop?
But I don't think the Canadian government can do anything to hurt the UAE in an equivalent way. So they probably will have the final word, and the Canadians would need to ship out.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #1466
ACT7

Quote:

Exactly, free market competition is ideal up to a point, but take a look south of the border and look what happens when there is unbridled, uncheck capitalism. The reality is that EK and EY do not pay landing fees at their home airports, a fact that doesn't exist in other countries. Air France and British Airways have also jumped on the bandwagon and have lobbied to restrict EK's access to Paris and London as well so it's not just Air Canada. True that Vancouver and Calgary have fairly limited options when it comes to travelling to India, but routing passengers through Dubai isn't exactly shorter or cheaper than a Cathay or LH routing. Last time I checked EK was always pricier than AC/LH.
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #1467
Toronto_41

Quote:
But I don't think the Canadian government can do anything to hurt the UAE in an equivalent way. So they probably will have the final word, and the Canadians would need to ship out.
End of the day, what does it really matter? The troops are coming home next year. End of the base and end of any lease. Kick them out earlier, a 50 million dollar inconvenience to Canada. Is it really hurting Canada? Not really because are we in Afghanistan for our purpose? Not at all.

If Canada retaliates, then Emirates and Ethiad cannot overfly. That hurts everyone because it is lost revenues on both sides.

Sounds like highschool all over again to me.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1468
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Exactly, free market competition is ideal up to a point, but take a look south of the border and look what happens when there is unbridled, uncheck capitalism. The reality is that EK and EY do not pay landing fees at their home airports, a fact that doesn't exist in other countries. Air France and British Airways have also jumped on the bandwagon and have lobbied to restrict EK's access to Paris and London as well so it's not just Air Canada. True that Vancouver and Calgary have fairly limited options when it comes to travelling to India, but routing passengers through Dubai isn't exactly shorter or cheaper than a Cathay or LH routing. Last time I checked EK was always pricier than AC/LH.
Actually, then we should ask the question why can't other airlines achieve the efficiencies that Emirates can? How can they successfully lobby not to pay landing charges yet others cannot replicate? Clearly, they have done a far better job getting their government to hear their interests and take action than elsewhere. That's the other perspective of this debate - is it my problem that I can get my job done beyond expectations but others cannot?

Old October 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #1469
Toronto_41

Quote:
Actually, then we should ask the question why can't other airlines achieve the efficiencies that Emirates can? How can they successfully lobby not to pay landing charges yet others cannot replicate? Clearly, they have done a far better job getting their government to hear their interests and take action than elsewhere. That's the other perspective of this debate - is it my problem that I can get my job done beyond expectations but others cannot?
Funny thing is, how come they are the only ones that seem to get the job done so effieciently that so many other airlines are complaining?

Based on what you wrote above, then you can say that the airlines in Canada have successfully lobbied the government to block EK and EY from getting more slots and now raised the eyebrows of other governments to look more closely at what is going on in their own backyards (BA/AF).

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1470
ACT7

Quote:
EK and EY haven't lobbied anyone for free landing slots at Dubai and Abu Dhabi - it's the state that owns both the airlines and the airport, just like everything else in the UAE. The state owns and controls the vast majority if not all of the businesses so it's really not a level playing field. The GTAA runs Pearson Airport as a not for profit organization, pays a stupid amount of rent to the Canadian Government (which is a whole other issue) and Air Canada (like every other airline in the world) is a tenant at it's own hub, and as such pays fees. Emirates hasn't got it figured out, they just have richer parents. The government of the UAE also buys empty seats on Emirates flights to artificially inflate their load factor, therefore propping up their revenues. As I said before, BA, AF, and LH have all been screaming foul and are lobbying the EU to monitor EK and EY's unchecked landing rights to Europe. In the end, I think Emirates and Etihad will get their daily flights to YYZ but beyond that, there's a very slim chance for expansion into Canada.
Old October 14th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #1471
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
EK and EY haven't lobbied anyone for free landing slots at Dubai and Abu Dhabi - it's the state that owns both the airlines and the airport, just like everything else in the UAE. The state owns and controls the vast majority if not all of the businesses so it's really not a level playing field. The GTAA runs Pearson Airport as a not for profit organization, pays a stupid amount of rent to the Canadian Government (which is a whole other issue) and Air Canada (like every other airline in the world) is a tenant at it's own hub, and as such pays fees. Emirates hasn't got it figured out, they just have richer parents. The government of the UAE also buys empty seats on Emirates flights to artificially inflate their load factor, therefore propping up their revenues. As I said before, BA, AF, and LH have all been screaming foul and are lobbying the EU to monitor EK and EY's unchecked landing rights to Europe. In the end, I think Emirates and Etihad will get their daily flights to YYZ but beyond that, there's a very slim chance for expansion into Canada.
I doubt Canada would budge on relaxing flight restrictions as well. However, given the Canadian government would bail out and have bailed out AC before, the state tie is still quite strong on this side of the world. But of course, Ottawa doesn't have as deep pockets as the UAE!

Old October 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1472
ACT7

Quote:
I doubt Canada would budge on relaxing flight restrictions as well. However, given the Canadian government would bail out and have bailed out AC before, the state tie is still quite strong on this side of the world. But of course, Ottawa doesn't have as deep pockets as the UAE!
I agree, bailouts are one thing though, as several US carriers have been bailed out or been allowed to merge or be purchased by bigger airlines - the same situation that occurred with AC and Canadian Airlines - but subsidizing heavily and not paying landing fees are completely different balls of wax. Whether it's Canada or Australia or EU countries, I think it's important for the government to work in the best interest of the national carriers (i.e. massive employers and tax payers) but also allow fair competition.
Interesting topic and debate all-round...
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #1473
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I agree, bailouts are one thing though, as several US carriers have been bailed out or been allowed to merge or be purchased by bigger airlines - the same situation that occurred with AC and Canadian Airlines - but subsidizing heavily and not paying landing fees are completely different balls of wax. Whether it's Canada or Australia or EU countries, I think it's important for the government to work in the best interest of the national carriers (i.e. massive employers and tax payers) but also allow fair competition.
Actually, a bankruptcy bailout is far more costly than giving landing fee waivers. So I don't see how the Canadian way is less interventionist than the UAE. There is an inherent conflict that the best interest of national carriers is to monopolize the market and not allow competition.

INTERVIEW-Canada trade minister says UAE talks to continue

DOHA, Oct 14 (Reuters) - Canada has not made a final decision to reject the UAE's request for expanded landing rights in the country for its two major airlines, Ottawa's trade minister said on Thursday as bilateral tensions flared.

Canadian Trade Minister Peter Van Loan told Reuters that talks with the United Arab Emirates' carriers are ongoing.

"I don't think there has been a 'no' per se. I think it's an ongoing negotiation," he said in a phone interview from Kuwait.

"We've been speaking in the past, and I hope we will be speaking again in the future. If we keep working at it and keep talking, I'm confident our positive relationship will continue."

Van Loan made the remarks after the UAE escalated the dispute over landing rights by banning the Canadian military from using a camp near Dubai from which it supported its troops in Afghanistan.

The UAE last week ordered Canada to vacate Camp Mirage within 30 days. On Monday, Canadian Defense Minister Peter MacKay and the country's top military official were barred from entering UAE airspace during a flight from Afghanistan.

Dubai carrier Emirates has been lobbying the Canadian government to boost its thrice-weekly direct flights to Toronto and more Canadian destinations. Etihad Airways, based in Abu Dhabi, also wants to increase flights.

Canada kept delaying its decision, "giving excuses and playing for time," according to a UAE source.

The effort by Emirates to gain more landing rights came under fierce criticism from Air Canada's chief executive, who said the airline wanted to "flood" Canadian skies with airline seats so it can scoop up travelers and divert them through Dubai. [ID:nN09208309]

Van Loan, on a visit to the Middle East that includes stops in Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar, said he will not make it to the UAE on this trip because he must return to Ottawa to attend a session of parliament.

"I am out of time. We have a minority parliament, and I have to be present in Ottawa when it is in session," he said.

He said he plans to meet with Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker in Qatar this weekend.

"That will be up to our negotiators," he said, when asked whether Qatar Airways would be granted permission to increase flights to Canada.

Van Loan, who became Canada's trade minister in January, said he will also meet with executives of the country's sovereign wealth fund, Qatar Investment Authority, during the trip to promote Canada as an investment hot-spot.

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #1474
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

So a daily EK to YYZ would mean no A380 for YYZ.. Correct?
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #1475
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

Quote:

Sounds like highschool all over again to me.
That's right. It's better if Canada just takes the 'high road' and moves on. It's just disappointing that an ally would behave recklessly like this. 'Temper tantrum' seems a fitting description.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #1476
Toronto_41

Quote:
All excellent points that I have tried to bring out before. However, they were normally shot down as "hogwash".

I would surmise that if the same thing were to happen in other countries, you can bet those governments would be all over it. However, the non liberal Canadians who never want any other airline to fly into the country are always out to protect AC.

If that was the case, how come Korean is flying to Toronto daily? That started this year (??). How about THY and their 3 weekly. Currently they are in negotiations to up their flights to daily. How long were they trying to get into Toronto with their ticket office on University Ave. No complaints or fights from them. What about Ethopian? Next year they are flying to Toronto (based on news reports). How long did it take them? How come they were patient enough. KLM is going up to almost double daily. I forgot, Europe so we have no issue with them and Sky Team to boot. I thought for sure AC would be up in arms about that because they are not Star Alliance and syphoning off fliers to go throught AMS. I understand, the UAE are rich with oil cash flowing in.

Well, if you have Oil and lots of money, it gives you the right to demand anything that you want and the host country should just bend over and smile. I thought partners were exactly that, partners through good and bad times.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #1477
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

I will be landing at Pearson in a couple of hours, first time there. hopefully it is better than landing at YVR a couple of years ago right after like 6 widebodies landed and customs took some 90 minutes and baggage was a total clusterf*ck.
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1478
Toronto_41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
I will be landing at Pearson in a couple of hours, first time there. hopefully it is better than landing at YVR a couple of years ago right after like 6 widebodies landed and customs took some 90 minutes and baggage was a total clusterf*ck.
You will be fine. Alot of the European flights are due in or landing as we speak. Just bear in mind that the time you are landing is kind of in many ways "rush hour" so it is peak time at the airport. If arriving from the USA and you have a Nexus Card, when you get to customs, the machines are to the very far right hand side close to the front. If you don't have a card, just take it one step at a time.

However the experience all depends on the terminal/airline you are with. Normally I am on AC and Terminal 1 is very big and airy. It has been a few years since I flew out of Terminal 3 (no terminal 2). Same thing applies though.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #1479
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

Wish we could preclear going to Canada, oh well.
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #1480
dreneyka

Likes (Received): 1

The Minister for Transport Martin Cullen has announced a new Irish Canada Air Transport Agreement, which will maximise access connections with key business and tourism markets there.

Air Canada currently operates a summer service between Toronto and Shannon and Dublin however the new agreement will provide for services between any point in Ireland and any point in Canada.

Minister Cullen said that from a tourism perspective it is important to encourage Canadians to come to Ireland.

Despite a substantial Irish community, less than 100,000 Canadians visit Ireland a year.

That compares to over 800,000 from the UK.

The agreement is to take effect immediately on a provisional basis.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto