daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #141
k.r.eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

See below....
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #142
k.r.eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

We definately need to see more open skies agreements. I hate the red-tape that ties up the international routes: it's simply awful. Hopefully this agreement with Ireland is the start (but I doubt it, the ball is likely to roll very slowly at first).

On the land routes from YYZ, couldn't agree more. That Blue22 rail link has also been tied up with local resident opposition. I doubt it will be constructed for another decade - no major party has the political incentive to promote its construction.
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #143
nitzomoe
Scarebarian
 
nitzomoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 598
Likes (Received): 1

Blue22 was a horrible proposal and I for one am very happy its not going to happen. Refurbishing bud deisel cars from the 60's? I dont care how beautiful they look, if we're giving such a longterm contract to Union Pearson, the least they can do is use current technology.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #144
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
Is Etihad still slated to start flying here in August with their own aircraft (operating out of T1?)
Etihad has been using their own aircraft since they started flying here in Oct 2005. They're slated to start non-stops from Abu Dhabi June 1st, by-passing Brussels. I think you may have been referring to Jet Airways starting to fly here in August, and yes they still are. They're starting from August 23rd and they'll be using their own aircraft, via Brussels.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #145
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda
 
TObermuda37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 88
Likes (Received): 0

Good afternoon all.

Here is the latest trip report from YYZ.

I just flew from Bermuda to YYZ and then onto LHR. I can tell you that I made my connections without any problems. I went through the Customs B which allowed me to connect from my international flight to my other international flight. I was amazed cause I was expexting to go through heck.

The only bad thing I have to say is that after forking over over $2000USD for a last minute ticket in economy on AC, I got no damned food. I had to pay $7 for their crappy new meals on short haul international flights. Be prepared for this wonderful new policy which kicked in as of May 1. Not very pleased with that cause what I was told is that no matter what I payed, I was still considered economy. Two weeks earlier I was on the same flight to YUL via YYZ and I got a hot meal. And to my surprise, I payed a quarter of what I just paid for the whole LHR flight.

Very surprised by this new policy change but then again, this is not the bitch and complain about AC thread. Overall, like I said, I sped through Canada Customs without any problems and I was able to relax for the 3 hour layover.

Oh, the last thing I have to say is WOW! The new AC 777 was just amazing. I also get to fly on the A319 that was XM'd with the new seats and PTV's. Good to see that this came into play.

Looking forward to my return flight on May 19 and then the connection on MAy 20. I get to do this all over again in June. So, I think I will probably fly BA direct from BDA. Just depends but I really like the new configuration of YYZ. I certainly can attest to their efficency as well as AC for the speedy transfer of the luggage.

Cheers.

PS...Jet Airways will be code sharing with SN on the Toronto to Brussels run. So they won't be using their own metal to YYZ.
TObermuda37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #146
Filip
Torontonian 4ever
 
Filip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,891
Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObermuda37 View Post
Good afternoon all.

Here is the latest trip report from YYZ.

I just flew from Bermuda to YYZ and then onto LHR. I can tell you that I made my connections without any problems. I went through the Customs B which allowed me to connect from my international flight to my other international flight. I was amazed cause I was expexting to go through heck.

The only bad thing I have to say is that after forking over over $2000USD for a last minute ticket in economy on AC, I got no damned food. I had to pay $7 for their crappy new meals on short haul international flights. Be prepared for this wonderful new policy which kicked in as of May 1. Not very pleased with that cause what I was told is that no matter what I payed, I was still considered economy. Two weeks earlier I was on the same flight to YUL via YYZ and I got a hot meal. And to my surprise, I payed a quarter of what I just paid for the whole LHR flight.

Very surprised by this new policy change but then again, this is not the bitch and complain about AC thread. Overall, like I said, I sped through Canada Customs without any problems and I was able to relax for the 3 hour layover.

Oh, the last thing I have to say is WOW! The new AC 777 was just amazing. I also get to fly on the A319 that was XM'd with the new seats and PTV's. Good to see that this came into play.

Looking forward to my return flight on May 19 and then the connection on MAy 20. I get to do this all over again in June. So, I think I will probably fly BA direct from BDA. Just depends but I really like the new configuration of YYZ. I certainly can attest to their efficency as well as AC for the speedy transfer of the luggage.

Cheers.

PS...Jet Airways will be code sharing with SN on the Toronto to Brussels run. So they won't be using their own metal to YYZ.

Nice to know transfers aren't hell... Yea, that's what I originally thought - SN doesn't even use their own metal to NYC or Chicago - but codeshares wtih American Airlines. I can't see them abandoning their African routes for YYZ.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #147
samsonyuen
SSLL
 
samsonyuen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canary Wharf > CityPlace
Posts: 8,350
Likes (Received): 314

Good to hear about VS. They recently restarted services to Chicago, which they stopped around 9/11 as well. I've flown them once (from NY to London), and it was much better than AC.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #148
yyzer
Registered User
 
yyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,195
Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
PS...Jet Airways will be code sharing with SN on the Toronto to Brussels run. So they won't be using their own metal to YYZ.
It's actually the opposite....SN will be codesharing with Jet Airways (9W), using Jet's A330-200s, which will operate DEL-BRU-YYZ, starting in August....

As for Virgin, they can't seem to make their mind up....they were very close to re-starting YYZ this spring, but it didn't happen.....maybe next year...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #149
globetrekker
Registered user
 
globetrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 283
Likes (Received): 0

Are they no longer mailing out issues of 'Pearson Today'? I haven't received one in awhile. Does anyone else receive YYZ's publication via postal mail?
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #150
nitzomoe
Scarebarian
 
nitzomoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 598
Likes (Received): 1

since the website layout has changed I cant seem to find it either.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #151
k.r.eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
Are they no longer mailing out issues of 'Pearson Today'? I haven't received one in awhile. Does anyone else receive YYZ's publication via postal mail?
I was wondering about that. I haven't received one either - I thought it was becuase of the special commemorative isssue back when the new pier was opened. I assumed that the special issue replaced the next normal issue ( - published special issue instead of the next normal issue to save costs)...but I may be wrong.
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #152
Filip
Torontonian 4ever
 
Filip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,891
Likes (Received): 435

On the YYZ News website it says that Lan Airlines Chile is looking at starting a route from Santiago to Mexico City to a Canadian destination (most likely Toronto) I always wondered of their conspicuous absence from the Toronto market.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #153
Filip
Torontonian 4ever
 
Filip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,891
Likes (Received): 435

Apprently, Egyptair has put Toronto as its focused expansion city pre-2010, along with cities such as Chicago, Washington, Prague and Belgrade... Nice to be able to see their colours in YYZ!
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #154
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Apprently, Egyptair has put Toronto as its focused expansion city pre-2010, along with cities such as Chicago, Washington, Prague and Belgrade... Nice to be able to see their colours in YYZ!
That would be great! Do you have source on that and the LAN Chile news? I'd be interested in reading that.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #155
Filip
Torontonian 4ever
 
Filip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,891
Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
That would be great! Do you have source on that and the LAN Chile news? I'd be interested in reading that.
Egyptair was taken off airliners.net

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...d.main/3405827

While Lan Chile was taken from YYz News

http://www.yyznews.com/May.html

Note a Guyanese airline startup will also include Toronto in its initial routes! Good to know YYZ is getting a slew of airlines..
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #156
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

According to ACI, YYZ has jumped another couple of spots and has overtaken JFK to become the No. 1 airport in NA for international passengers. And, yes, I know that includes transborder, but still, very impressive in my opinion. Figures are as of May 16th.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #157
Filip
Torontonian 4ever
 
Filip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,891
Likes (Received): 435

Pearson is on a roll.. but I don't think it's even vaguely cheating to consider transborder traffic - think about Europe! Everything for them is basically international
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #158
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18198

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
According to ACI, YYZ has jumped another couple of spots and has overtaken JFK to become the No. 1 airport in NA for international passengers. And, yes, I know that includes transborder, but still, very impressive in my opinion. Figures are as of May 16th.
Keep in mind New York has 2 airports that cater to international long-haul flights. La Guardia, being the 3rd, has very few so I won't consider them in the analysis.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #159
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Keep in mind New York has 2 airports that cater to international long-haul flights. La Guardia, being the 3rd, has very few so I won't consider them in the analysis.
True, but Newark's not even in the top 30 for international traffic. And I agree with Filip, Europe has almost nothing but international traffic, same with Dubai and Southeast Asia, so I think Pearson's numbers are very impressive.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #160
yyzer
Registered User
 
yyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,195
Likes (Received): 45

New Canada-Kuwait Air Agreement

This may bode well for YYZ....I know that Kuwait Airways (KU) has been interested for a long time in serving here, and now they will be able....here's the press release.....

No. H 094/07
For release May 17, 2007

CANADA'S NEW GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES FIRST
AIR TRANSPORT AGREEMENT WITH KUWAIT
OTTAWA — The Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable David Emerson, Minister of International Trade, today announced Canada's first air transport agreement with the State of Kuwait for scheduled air services.

"I am pleased to have in place a first-time air transport agreement between Canada and the State of Kuwait," said Minister Cannon. "With direct air links, this agreement will provide more choice and benefits for travellers, air carriers and airports, and will contribute to increasing the bilateral air travel market."

"Air transportation is an important contributor to enhancing trade links and as such, is a key element of the Government's competitiveness strategy," said Minister Emerson. "The State of Kuwait is a long-time partner and a member of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). This agreement will create more opportunities for two-way trade and investment between Canada and GCC countries, which are wealthy and rapidly-growing economies."

The GCC includes the most prosperous countries in the Middle East — Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman and Bahrain. These countries have nearly 50 per cent of the world's proven oil reserves, are experiencing a very high rate of economic growth, and may provide major business opportunities for Canada.

Under this first-time agreement, carriers from both countries are permitted to serve destinations of their choice in the other country. The agreement provides rights for each country to designate any number of carriers to operate scheduled air services between the two countries, and includes a flexible pricing regime, as well as strong safety and security provisions. The agreement also provides for a flexible regime for all-cargo services.

In addition to operating their own aircraft, carriers can provide code-sharing services with no limitations on frequency of flights. Code-sharing is a type of air service where an airline uses the flights of other airlines for transportation for a portion of a passenger's trip.

This new agreement, which takes effect immediately, is the first to be finalized with a member of the GCC following the Government's recently announced Blue Sky international air transportation policy.
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium