daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #1601
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com
 
Davodavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Donostia/Santander
Posts: 6,724
Likes (Received): 45

Do AC operate to Madrid from Toronto?
I thought so, but I can not find any direct flight.

I guess it a seasonal route, am I right?
__________________
Webpage: inFocusDC.com – Please visit!!
Twitter: @inFocusDC – Please follow :-)
Davodavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #1602
xelos
Registered User
 
xelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BRU-HKG-YYZ-CPT
Posts: 592
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
India flights - Air India, direct to India
- Jet Airways - 1 stop to India
Africa - Delta via Atlanta one stop. One technical stop.
- Jet Airways to Brussels with connrctions onwards to Africa on Brussels Airways.
- AF via CDG one stop to Africa
- KL via AMS one stop to Africa.
Not only Jet Airways flies to Brussels their scissorshub, Air Canada does as well, AC832 flies from YYZ via YUL to Brussels with very good connections onwards to Africa and the rest of Europe on *A partner Brussels Airlines.


Last edited by xelos; November 14th, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
xelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #1603
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

I think anyone who accuses Canada of having overly protected skies is just plain ignorant. There are 70+ airlines operating out of Pearson alone with more to come. If EK was so open, why not be a part of any global alliance?? They're one of the few major airlines that isn't. Funny enough, most airlines that aren't come from the Gulf states...hmmm. If the UAE was so confident that their tactics aren't considered predatory, why not let AC code share on certain flights out of DXB for passengers that originate in Toronto?
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #1604
Filip
Torontonian 4ever
 
Filip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,891
Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodavo View Post
Do AC operate to Madrid from Toronto?
I thought so, but I can not find any direct flight.

I guess it a seasonal route, am I right?
Yes it's a seasonal route... I've used it a couple of times now and the flights are always full - I wonder if this is on AC's agenda to expand to year-long, or maybe Iberia will come back.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #1605
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
I think anyone who accuses Canada of having overly protected skies is just plain ignorant. There are 70+ airlines operating out of Pearson alone with more to come. If EK was so open, why not be a part of any global alliance?? They're one of the few major airlines that isn't. Funny enough, most airlines that aren't come from the Gulf states...hmmm. If the UAE was so confident that their tactics aren't considered predatory, why not let AC code share on certain flights out of DXB for passengers that originate in Toronto?
Counting the number of airlines operating out of an airport does not show the full picture of aviation policy. Look at also the frequencies. Granting 1 flight a week, for example, is not exactly liberalization. Then you need to look at whether foreign carriers have 5th, 4th, and 3rd freedoms, etc. Not many countries grant 5th freedoms, in fact. There is a lot more stuff to consider than merely counting airlines.

AC does not share the same alliance as Qatar, Emirates, or Etihad. So codesharing is not so easy. AC doesn't fly to Dubai either, so how would codesharing work effectively? Why would Emirates want to codeshare out of, say, London or Frankfurt, when they can fly the same passengers with 1 less stop directly into Dubai?

I actually think these Gulf carriers don't even need an alliance at their rate of expansion. Airlines need alliances because their networks are not big enough and cannot expand to those places not served already. Clearly, Emirates doesn't have that being a major problem.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #1606
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com
 
Davodavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Donostia/Santander
Posts: 6,724
Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Yes it's a seasonal route... I've used it a couple of times now and the flights are always full - I wonder if this is on AC's agenda to expand to year-long, or maybe Iberia will come back.
Thanks for answering Filip, I was right then

I can guarantee that IB is not operating the route again.
That possibility does not exist, and AC should take advantage of that.

Cheers.
__________________
Webpage: inFocusDC.com – Please visit!!
Twitter: @inFocusDC – Please follow :-)
Davodavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1607
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
It's actually remarkable how far off the rails you've taken this, hkskyline. No one ever said that THY could compete with EK or that at some level AC interests weren't being taken into consideration when negotiations with the UAE were taking place. Your point that THY's business model is point-to-point traffic between YYZ and IST is simply wrong. Like MOST airlines with a hub and spoke system, they are capitalizing on through traffic between IST and and their own network. So just because their network isn't as large as EK, it means that EK can demand whatever the hell it wants from Canada? Remember that Canada had initially granted the UAE 6 slots and EK selfishly declined. Is it up to the UAE to determine what is fair for Canada? No. And maybe go back and read my earlier post - Australia has denied Singapore Airlines 5th freedom rights to the U.S. Why? Maybe because the Australian government doesn't feel like bankrupting Qantas. Maybe because the most profitable route Qantas operates is SYD-LAX and they were worried that Singapore airlines would pounce on that because they're an airline that is constantly rated #1 in the world. But the reason that the rest of the world doesn't hear about it is because Singapore doesn't behave like a spoiled child and use bargaining chips in bad faith to get its way. And to reiterate what Toronto 41 has asked you - show us all what the UAE has offered AC in return. No one has ever said that EK shouldn't at some point be granted enhanced access to Canada but until that day comes, the UAE needs to play by the same rules as everyone else and not be petty. In the meantime, they'll have to now compete with Qatar and Egyptair.
Any airline tries to funnel traffic through their main hubs, including AC. All I am saying is if you try to argue Emirates should be kept out because they can fly AF, THY, LH, and the like and connect passengers through those respective hubs, then that completely contradicts the spirit of competition and consumer choice. Perhaps we should start giving EK the same frequencies as AF and LH so they can all be on a level playing field!

While Australia stopped SQ from 5th freedoms on the transpacific route, there are a number of Australian and American carriers flying the route, while Emirates fly westbound from there with a huge allocation of air rights. Sure, Australia is protecting the transpacific sector, but they have liberalized the Europe sector. They haven't been as negative to giving EK more frequencies.

SQ lobbied to the Singapore government quite intensely over the years to get the transpacific route, but their expansion is very different from what EK is trying to do. First of all, SQ is not flying to its home city for those routes, whereas EK is connecting Canada to its Dubai hub. That already hints very strongly why SQ shouldn't be there in the first place. So Canberra's protectionism cannot be equivalently compared against what Ottawa has done.

I also doubt even if the UAE offers full 5th freedoms for Canadian carriers, in reality nothing will happen because AC doesn't have enough aircraft to do this, and they won't when they do because the plane can fly directly into India without a Dubai stopover (maybe one in Europe). There is a huge barrier to entry to try to steal Emirates' transit traffic.

But then, we see inequity in the aviation industry. The powerful countries often demand and get more than what they give in return. It all boils down to who has the power and how nasty the negotiators get. These negotiations are not exactly hand-shakes and roasting marshmallows around the camp fire.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #1608
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Funny thing is I point out cempetiton to you and then it comes back to more than one stop. Must have missed something but cempetition means more than one option. Another airport and different prices and it is an issue. Hmmm.

The issue is and i will slow it down for you is as i have said again and again and again is not that they should not get it but not because you demand it. Go look at thr chart and tell me how it is possible that EK has 28 flights to NZ and 50-60 to Germany? Look at the population and tell me how that works out?

So you know, i know about many things but i ask you to point out things and it seems you dont or cannot answer. The similarties are there but there are vast differences. Anyone who can say that the two markets are the same needs to go back and look again.

Thus far, the only country that has an issue with their slots has been and continues to be the UAE. Little odd dont you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
India flights - Air India, direct to India
- Jet Airways - 1 stop to India
Africa - Delta via Atlanta one stop. One technical stop.
- Jet Airways to Brussels with connrctions onwards to Africa on Brussels Airways.
- AF via CDG one stop to Africa
- KL via AMS one stop to Africa.

Those are just some of the flights other than AC you can choose. Definitely looks like limited possibilities?

Even still, connect out of Buffalo via NYC, IAD, ATL. Definitely no choices other than AC or Lufthansa.
You are right to point out there are many alternatives where there is 1-stop to get to India from Canada. However, note that Air Canada and Star Alliance play quite a major role in this. To give consumers more choice, other carriers are vital to keep prices in check and consumers happy. Under that principle, why is EK not being given the same frequencies that LH and AF have so they can effectively compete on a level field? If Star Alliance can have 3 flights a day into Frankfurt, why can't EK get 3 flights a day into Dubai, for example?

It's not Ottawa's responsibility to assess whether EK makes money. In fact, the more flights, the more landing charges, jobs, airport rent, and sales taxes are generated, benefiting Canadians. Canadian regulators do not have any mandate to validate EK's business model. Rather, they should be concerned whether this airline meets all safety requirements. Canadians should be happy they are a favoured destination by foreign carriers. People in this thread tend to celebrate when more carriers / frequencies are announced.

Population alone is a poor indicator of flight frequency. In fact, airline route planning includes far more variables than your simplified view of how many people each country has. That explains why Canada has more flights to London than to China, despite the fact that China has a much bigger population. With your logic, a lot of domestic flights to the smaller population centers should have been off the route map long ago.

So is your argument based on there are too many competitors, hence EK should be restricted? For the Africa routes, don't you see a potential gap there since there are only effectively 2 carriers (Delta, AF-KL are the same) you mentioned when there could be a 3rd one to keep prices in check? Wouldn't Canadian consumers benefit if there is more choice? Or is Ottawa's stance to keep AC being the only, and hence, top choice, as much as possible?

The ultimate question you haven't answered is : is more choice bad?
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #1609
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

The question i have addressed is that there is competition despite what was said. And there is more on the way. I guess that was not clear enough. But there it is right before this sentence. Again, i never said not to let them in. Guess i need to be more clear on that.

Maybe being able to access a host of carriers out of JFK is not everyones thing but contrary to what has been said on here on many occasions, competition exists. Dont like AC, fly a host of different carriers via asia or europe.
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #1610
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

Since population is a poor indicator, why does EK want Yyz only? They were offered Yyc and Yvr but it was stated that more opportunity for connections and people out of Yyz. Guess that kills that theory also. So here we are back at square one.
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #1611
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

Forgot, thanks for letting me know about my simplified view. Must be the PHD/MBA you have in aviation and negotiations that canada is wrong and you are right but my view and so many others offer simplified views. Not too arrogant at all are you?

Well since you know everything, feel free to run for PM and sort it out for all of us simpletons.
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.

Last edited by Toronto_41; November 14th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #1612
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
The question i have addressed is that there is competition despite what was said. And there is more on the way. I guess that was not clear enough. But there it is right before this sentence. Again, i never said not to let them in. Guess i need to be more clear on that.

Maybe being able to access a host of carriers out of JFK is not everyones thing but contrary to what has been said on here on many occasions, competition exists. Dont like AC, fly a host of different carriers via asia or europe.
Based on that logic, why not allow even more competition with EK? Is there something bad about more competition? If you note there are 'so many' options now, what's so bad with 1 more strong competitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Since population is a poor indicator, why does EK want Yyz only? They were offered Yyc and Yvr but it was stated that more opportunity for connections and people out of Yyz. Guess that kills that theory also. So here we are back at square one.
You have to ask EK management why they want YYZ only, but I find it very odd Ottawa is giving them the same frequency of flights into secondary cities as the primary city. I find that illogical, and an indication Toronto is being underserved. EK is right to point out there are more opportunities for connections out of YYZ, although I can also say the same for Atlanta, which is a bit of an anomaly since it's not exactly a heavily-populated American city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Forgot, thanks for letting me know about my simplified view. Must be the PHD/MBA you have in aviation and negotiations that canada is wrong and you are right but my view and so many others offer simplified views. Not too arrogant at all are you?

Well since you know everything, feel free to run for PM and sort it out for all of us simpletons.
You don't need a PHD to understand it takes more than population and a few indirect flight options to understand what competition and airline route planning really is. Anyone who has a bit more knowledge of the industry can come up with the exact same questions I had, and not jump to simple conclusions.

It's not the PM that makes these decisions, by the way. You have to run for Transport Canada instead. They're the ones negotiating the rights. The PM steps out afterwards to sort out the mess, but it doesn't seem like he has talked much about this so far.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #1613
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

Hmm let me put it this way. Lets say Ottawa comes along to EK and lifts the restrictions for EK and their YYZ market. How would EK react? Would they start daily their A380 or what would EK do?

My bet would be; they would start 2nd daily with their B777 that used to serve YYZ before they brought the A380s.


What would be your bet on this one?


Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Counting the number of airlines operating out of an airport does not show the full picture of aviation policy. Look at also the frequencies. Granting 1 flight a week, for example, is not exactly liberalization. Then you need to look at whether foreign carriers have 5th, 4th, and 3rd freedoms, etc. Not many countries grant 5th freedoms, in fact. There is a lot more stuff to consider than merely counting airlines.

AC does not share the same alliance as Qatar, Emirates, or Etihad. So codesharing is not so easy. AC doesn't fly to Dubai either, so how would codesharing work effectively? Why would Emirates want to codeshare out of, say, London or Frankfurt, when they can fly the same passengers with 1 less stop directly into Dubai?

I actually think these Gulf carriers don't even need an alliance at their rate of expansion. Airlines need alliances because their networks are not big enough and cannot expand to those places not served already. Clearly, Emirates doesn't have that being a major problem.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #1614
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Hmm let me put it this way. Lets say Ottawa comes along to EK and lifts the restrictions for EK and their YYZ market. How would EK react? Would they start daily their A380 or what would EK do?

My bet would be; they would start 2nd daily with their B777 that used to serve YYZ before they brought the A380s.


What would be your bet on this one?
I agree - I think the reason why EK brought out their A380s is because it's their biggest plane and they could get around the 3 flights a week as much as possible while boosting capacity. But once the daily flights are approved, I see them moving back to a smaller widebody long-haul jet. Frequency is quite an important metric for the business. I tend to balk when I see 3 flights a week. If my flight gets cancelled or I need to move the reservation, I could potentially be stranded for a few days.

And I'll also bet the A380s will be reallocated to Heathrow routes to get around the slot restrictions. Actually, I recall seeing EK A380s at Heathrow already.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #1615
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Based on that logic, why not allow even more competition with EK? Is there something bad about more competition? If you note there are 'so many' options now, what's so bad with 1 more strong competitor?

You have to ask EK management why they want YYZ only, but I find it very odd Ottawa is giving them the same frequency of flights into secondary cities as the primary city. I find that illogical, and an indication Toronto is being underserved. EK is right to point out there are more opportunities for connections out of YYZ, although I can also say the same for Atlanta, which is a bit of an anomaly since it's not exactly a heavily-populated American city.

You don't need a PHD to understand it takes more than population and a few indirect flight options to understand what competition and airline route planning really is. Anyone who has a bit more knowledge of the industry can come up with the exact same questions I had, and not jump to simple conclusions.

It's not the PM that makes these decisions, by the way. You have to run for Transport Canada instead. They're the ones negotiating the rights. The PM steps out afterwards to sort out the mess, but it doesn't seem like he has talked much about this so far.
1.) Again and again and again, where did you see that I said to limit them? Issue is how it was done, not how much they asked for. Egyptair, Ethopian, Qatar are all coming, so what is it that I am missing about competition? Seems to be plenty coming online and within the next year. Funny enough, you do realise that Kuwait Airways can fly to Canada as there was an open skies that was signed?

2.) You mentioned about not needing a large population for the amount of flights so I then asked you how come EK is pushing hard for YYZ only? The should have run for the 7 or more that were offered for Vancouver/Calgary. Proved they were more than capable and expand further into Toronto when the opportunity arose. Those were the claims made by them that they wanted to serve Canada more. Well Canada includes more than Toronto. Isn't it better to have something rather than nothing? There is a huge South Asian community in YVR and a fairly good community in the YYC area. What I questioned was the economics of having 28 flights to NZ and 49 to Germany. How about the 35 to the USA? This runs contrary to economic sense because the larger population centres would garner more flights because they can support those flights more readily. Basic economics. Must be that MBA majoring in Economics and working in the Finance field. Hence the reason they are pushing so hard for it. Loads more traffic out of YYZ.

3.) Anyone can come up with the questions you and I both asked and not come to the same conclusions. Different people have different opinions, but to state to someone else, when you know nothing about them or their background that what they are stating is "simplified" is arrogant. At which point in time did I say to you that your thoughts were simplified? Who are you to make a judgement call like that?

4.) At the end of the day, which person made the final decision on the slot allocation into YYZ? Transport Canada was negotiating but the lead came down from the PM's office. But don't quote me, that was in the media, check the CBC, Globe and Mail, Toronto Star and so on.
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #1616
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
1.) Again and again and again, where did you see that I said to limit them? Issue is how it was done, not how much they asked for. Egyptair, Ethopian, Qatar are all coming, so what is it that I am missing about competition? Seems to be plenty coming online and within the next year. Funny enough, you do realise that Kuwait Airways can fly to Canada as there was an open skies that was signed?

2.) You mentioned about not needing a large population for the amount of flights so I then asked you how come EK is pushing hard for YYZ only? The should have run for the 7 or more that were offered for Vancouver/Calgary. Proved they were more than capable and expand further into Toronto when the opportunity arose. Those were the claims made by them that they wanted to serve Canada more. Well Canada includes more than Toronto. Isn't it better to have something rather than nothing? There is a huge South Asian community in YVR and a fairly good community in the YYC area. What I questioned was the economics of having 28 flights to NZ and 49 to Germany. How about the 35 to the USA? This runs contrary to economic sense because the larger population centres would garner more flights because they can support those flights more readily. Basic economics. Must be that MBA majoring in Economics and working in the Finance field. Hence the reason they are pushing so hard for it. Loads more traffic out of YYZ.

3.) Anyone can come up with the questions you and I both asked and not come to the same conclusions. Different people have different opinions, but to state to someone else, when you know nothing about them or their background that what they are stating is "simplified" is arrogant. At which point in time did I say to you that your thoughts were simplified? Who are you to make a judgement call like that?

4.) At the end of the day, which person made the final decision on the slot allocation into YYZ? Transport Canada was negotiating but the lead came down from the PM's office. But don't quote me, that was in the media, check the CBC, Globe and Mail, Toronto Star and so on.
1. Transport Canada should evaluate whether the proposal would benefit Canadian consumers. How it was done isn't so important. If Canada was truly serious about improving consumer choice, they should be proactive to allow airlines to increase flights in the first place, rather than wait for another government to ask for more frequencies. So far we ascertained a nasty reaction from the UAE after talks failed. Don't think we have enough details to assess whether each or both sides negotiated in bad faith - unless you want to believe one of the reports that Canada negotiated in bad faith.

2. Population is one of many factors but not the end of the analysis. EK clearly is not operating a O&D service to Dubai, hence the population of the catchment areas is not so important. However, what is important is where the customers are. I suspect they are targeting the Indian community in Toronto, which is a considerable population. Ottawa can give Winnipeg and Yellowknife and Moncton all they want but ultimately airlines run a business and they fly where they make money .. except AC.

I don't agree airlines should grab something rather than nothing when they will lose money. Rather do nothing than lose money. That's how a real business should operate. AC doesn't always have that option unfortunately, caught within the government agenda.

Vancouver and Calgary are geographically badly situated for an east-bound flight into India. It takes a long time to cross the Atlantic from there, let alone cross the Middle East into India. Why not fly west to East Asia for a connecting flight instead? That's not the case for Toronto. EK's business rationale is more challenged if they try to fly to the West Coast as they are subject to more intense competition from the likes of Cathay Pacific, etc. Besides, I don't think the planes can make it all the way to Dubai from Vancouver in one shot. They'll likely have to stop somewhere to fuel, making it even less desirable when they can fly west and stop only once. This is a good example of how population may not be enough to launch a flight.

3. I see different people have different opinions. But when people make simple assumptions using the wrong ideas, it is time for other forumers to step in and question their rationale. Clearly, there is a problem with EK flying to Vancouver and Calgary, so I ask the same question again - why grab likely loss-making routes even if they're free for the take? I haven't seen you make much detailed analysis on the technicalities of the fleet, the demographics, and the competition, to come to a decent conclusion on EK and their impact on the Canadian market. While I don't expect you to come up with a flawless study since it takes experts a long time to crunch the data, I do expect something more detailed and in-depth before coming to a conclusion that they should grab something instead of nothing. I don't see you mention profit much at all, which is a bit appalling because businesses are out to make money!

4. I doubt all government agencies take their cues from the PM. The PM has that much time on his hands to make every decision? So we should get rid of the ministries and consolidate power to the PM, because it's not Transport Canada that makes any decisions - it's the PM. Does the PM have the expertise to make wise decisions from agriculture and fisheries to transport? Surely this consolidation will save a lot of tax dollars! We shouldn't believe the media so easily.

Now, I want to understand what is your rationale for EK to take something rather than nothing.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Last edited by hkskyline; November 15th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #1617
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Now, I want to understand what is your rationale for EK to take something rather than nothing.
They wanted it. Did they not ask for it? Am I missing something? If they do not believe that they can make a profit of it, they why PUBLICLY state you want to start service there? That is my rationale. If you are not interested in something then why would you ask for it? It is in their economic study that they did.

They were called out on it and got caught with their pants around their ankles. No biggie. Such if life.

Likewise your comment about population or lack thereof does not mean that they would not service smaller centres however on the same hand it was ok to demand access to YYZ but not accept YVR. Is that not a contradiction? My coments are not "simplified". Before I respond I take into account different aspects. I happily accept if I made a mistake and take the correction where needed.

Anyhow, that is all and I believe that we should take the thread back to what it is about. Services to YYZ. This is done and we which includes you and me have no control at this present time. Until it is sorted out, I am not wasting any further time discussing the pros and cons of additional service. If they get more service, bully for them. If not, no big deal as like what was said elsewhere, someone else will step in.
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #1618
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
AC does not share the same alliance as Qatar, Emirates, or Etihad. So codesharing is not so easy. AC doesn't fly to Dubai either, so how would codesharing work effectively? Why would Emirates want to codeshare out of, say, London or Frankfurt, when they can fly the same passengers with 1 less stop directly into Dubai?
Since when does an airline need to fly to a destination to codeshare?? AC doesn't fly to Delhi but codeshares with LH and Jet Airways. My point that if the UAE wanted to offer at least something positive for AC, then an agreement could be established to allow AC to codeshare on, say Dubai - Mumbai, Dubai - Sri Lanka - just a thought. In fact AC does codeshare with EK from LHR but just to DXB, not beyond so establishing a further codeshare agreement probably wouldn't be that difficult.

Quote:
Ottawa can give Winnipeg and Yellowknife and Moncton all they want but ultimately airlines run a business and they fly where they make money
It's really odd how fixated you are on Yellowknife (and now Winnipeg and Moncton for some reason). I'm pretty sure neither Ottawa, AC, the UAE or EK ever laid Yellowknife on the table. The reason that YYC and YVR were offered is because EK sponsored a study outlining the benefits of flying from those cities. Canada, AC and probably everyone else knew it was bullsh*t so unfortunately you can't claim that how agreements are negotiated doesn't play a role. It most certainly does and it speaks volumes as to how future negotiations may take place. Again, I don't think you're seeing the big picture. No one on this forum has stated that EK shouldn't be given further access to YYZ or Canada in general but if it takes time, so be it, it takes time. Canada has its policies, Australia has its policies, Germany, France, the UK and so on. Every other country/airline on the planet seems to be playing by the same rules so for the UAE to feel it has the god-given right to not is a little baffling. It's an arrogant, egotistical, and self-righteous country...period, full stop.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1619
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

...and now back to what this thread is supposed to be about...YYZ!


Article: http://www.balkans.com/open-news.php?uniquenumber=79789

I know it looks like Serbian news but read further...

Serbia: Belgrade airport - new gates will be added to Terminal 2 in 2011

EX-YU Aviation News - 15.11.2010

The director of Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport, Velimir Radosavljević, has announced that new gates will be added to Terminal 2 in 2011 which will allow the current terminal to be freed up for intercontinental flights. Speaking at a conference addressing the open sky policy in Serbia, Radosavljević says that the airport will expand the Terminal 2 parking platform by two football fields, allowing the C gates of the terminal to be used by larger aircraft, as was the case more than 20 years ago when intercontinental flights were operated on a daily basis. Radosavljević hinted that flights between Belgrade and Toronto could begin next year.
Closer to home, Radosavljević said that meetings are being held with the management of Split Airport in the hope that flights between the two cities could resume after 2 decades next year. Serbia’s main airport is reporting strong growth in 2010. In September, passenger numbers increased by 19.6% when compared to the same period last year. In the first 2 weeks of November, figures are up by 23%.

EX-YU Aviation News
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #1620
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
...and now back to what this thread is supposed to be about...YYZ!


Article: http://www.balkans.com/open-news.php?uniquenumber=79789

I know it looks like Serbian news but read further...

Serbia: Belgrade airport - new gates will be added to Terminal 2 in 2011

EX-YU Aviation News - 15.11.2010

The director of Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport, Velimir Radosavljević, has announced that new gates will be added to Terminal 2 in 2011 which will allow the current terminal to be freed up for intercontinental flights. Speaking at a conference addressing the open sky policy in Serbia, Radosavljević says that the airport will expand the Terminal 2 parking platform by two football fields, allowing the C gates of the terminal to be used by larger aircraft, as was the case more than 20 years ago when intercontinental flights were operated on a daily basis. Radosavljević hinted that flights between Belgrade and Toronto could begin next year.
Closer to home, Radosavljević said that meetings are being held with the management of Split Airport in the hope that flights between the two cities could resume after 2 decades next year. Serbia’s main airport is reporting strong growth in 2010. In September, passenger numbers increased by 19.6% when compared to the same period last year. In the first 2 weeks of November, figures are up by 23%.

EX-YU Aviation News
Excellent news. I look forward to this happening. Was expecting them sooner since there was an agreement I believe last year. Thanks for posting.
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium