daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #1681
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

HU are operating 3 x's weekly - Mon, Wed, and Sat....arrival time is 13:40, departure time 16:10....they are operating from terminal 3....

they have 3 A346s....all ex-CX aircraft...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #1682
yyzer

from yyznews.com....inaugural flight touching down today on 33L....

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #1683
mike_feng90
Michael Feng

Likes (Received): 33

There are some really amazing pictures on this site of the HU

http://purplepulsar.blogspot.com/201...k-yyz-pek.html
mike_feng90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #1684
yyzer

nice website!
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #1685
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_feng90 View Post
There are some really amazing pictures on this site of the HU

http://purplepulsar.blogspot.com/201...k-yyz-pek.html
Now that's a good poster shot!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #1686
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Now that's a good poster shot!

Looks like Runway 33L, but where was he standing to take that picture? From the highway 401?
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #1687
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Thank YOu
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
HU are operating 3 x's weekly - Mon, Wed, and Sat....arrival time is 13:40, departure time 16:10....they are operating from terminal 3....

they have 3 A346s....all ex-CX aircraft...
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #1688
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Looks like Runway 33L, but where was he standing to take that picture? From the highway 401?
Actually its 33R, and taken from the infield cargo area.

For arrivals on the 33s, aircraft would be on short final (i.e. still in the air) if you took shots from the 401.
Old November 29th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #1689
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

^ People can freely visit to take photos or it's a picture from the fence with an occasional security patrol?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #1690
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
^ People can freely visit to take photos or it's a picture from the fence with an occasional security patrol?
If you're a member of YYZ Airport Watch then 99% of the time no issues.

It is technically private property, but if you're just popping in to grab a few shots there's no problem even from the police.
However, if the cops see a lot of people or that you're spending the day there, they may ask you to leave... up to their discretion.
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #1691
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post

It is technically private property, but if you're just popping in to grab a few shots there's no problem even from the police.
However, if the cops see a lot of people or that you're spending the day there, they may ask you to leave... up to their discretion.
How do you become a member of YYZ Airport Watch?

I know that some people tend to go to the Mid Field Cargo area inbetween the north south runways to take some pics. That is a great area and I have been but only when I had to file papers with customs to get my suitcases once I moved back to Canada from abroad.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #1692
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:

Cool ,but how about this,
How is the spot where AF A340 crashed at the end of the runway 24L? Would not the planes roll down to the start of the 33R over the 24R / 24L runways. In this case you can see the arrivals and afternoon departures from the same spot. What I would like to do, I want to get a spot where I can see the landing on 24L/R, As well as 33R/L, but afternood departures from 24R/24L. Whenever I pass around 5-6pm on the 401, I always see the afternoon departures lined up along the 401. So the spot where AF A340 crashed I like to try out. I can also see the landings from the Oakville side on 24R/24L as well. Just toying with some ideas because I want to check out some new sport a part from the popular spot on the airport road.

Last edited by YU-AMC; November 30th, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #1693
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I also wonder how often they perform the late afternoon/early evening take offs from the Runway 23? I mostly see the take offs around 1pm-4pm. Do they go until the end of day or switch to 24L/R side for the overseas flights. I am trying to see if 24L/24R is more popular over the 23 runway.
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #1694
yyzhyd

Toronto_41,
Here you go... http://www.airportwatchcanada.com/

YU-AMC,
The spot at the end of the runway 24L is too low for any decent photography. The end of 24R is better but only in the late afternoon as departing aircraft will taxi down Delta to the threshold of the 06s.
see a couple of my shots from there for reference:

33R starts north of the 24s so from this location the planes will be too far away. 33L arrivals will come in directly overhead.

If you want a more unique location try the top of the old T2 parking garage. You'll have a fair bit of heat haze in the summer but it might be better in the winter.

75% of the time the following rule of thumb can be used for spotting at Pearson:
06s and 05 = Morning arrivals & departures
24s and 23 = Afternoon arrivals & departures

Air Canada's heavy Asian departures usually use 33R (NRT, PEK, PVG etc.)
33s are the primary runways only if there are strong northerly winds (i.e. winter season)

But it's best to have a scanner and see where the planes are being sent by ATC. We spotters often joke that the ATC guys recognize our cars now and send the aircraft to the opposite runway just for fun. LOL

Last edited by yyzhyd; November 30th, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #1695
Toronto_41

Quote:
Toronto_41,
Here you go... http://www.airportwatchcanada.com/
Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #1696
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Article: Amritsar-Toronto flight to resume soon

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-n...e-soon/718164/

New Delhi The government on Tuesday decided to soon resume the Amritsar-Toronto Air India flight, the discontinuation of which since October has caused a lot of problems to frequent non-resident Indian fliers to Punjab.
The assurance to restore the flight was given by Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel to Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who headed a SAD-BJP delegation to lodge strong protest over the cancellation of the flight.

The national carrier had withdrawn the service as part of cost-cutting measures and on the ground that the airlines was making huge losses in the sector.

Badal later told reporters that millions of Sikh and Punjabi diaspora settled abroad invariably travel by this particular flight to and from Amritsar for religious tourism and pay obeisance at the Golden Temple, which is the highest spiritual seat of the Sikh religion.

Accompanied by Amritsar BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu and other BJP and SAD MPs, Badal said it was evident from records that the particular flight was flying with full passenger capacity load and the discontinuation of the service caused a huge loss of revenue to the national carrier and also compromised on the viability of the Amritsar airport, which would lose about Rs 10 crore per year.

A memorandum submitted to Patel demanded that the Amritsar-London-Toronto flight be resumed immediately and new flights be introduced to Brimingham, New York and Vancouver to cater to the NRIs travelling to Amritsar from Europe, United Kingdom, United States and Canada.

Patel asked the Chairman-cum-Managing Director of Air India Arvind Jadhav, especially called for the meeting, to expedite the resumption of the Amritsar-Toronto flight within a "definite and narrow time frame."

The Deputy Chief Minister announced that Bhatinda will have a new civilian airport facility that would be inaugurated on January 20 next year.

The Civil Aviation Minister also apprised Badal that all the requisite defense, environment and other clearances for setting up the Bathinda domestic terminal had already been secured.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #1697
Toronto_41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Article: Amritsar-Toronto flight to resume soon

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-n...e-soon/718164/

New Delhi The government on Tuesday decided to soon resume the Amritsar-Toronto Air India flight, the discontinuation of which since October has caused a lot of problems to frequent non-resident Indian fliers to Punjab.
The assurance to restore the flight was given by Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel to Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who headed a SAD-BJP delegation to lodge strong protest over the cancellation of the flight.

The national carrier had withdrawn the service as part of cost-cutting measures and on the ground that the airlines was making huge losses in the sector.

Badal later told reporters that millions of Sikh and Punjabi diaspora settled abroad invariably travel by this particular flight to and from Amritsar for religious tourism and pay obeisance at the Golden Temple, which is the highest spiritual seat of the Sikh religion.

Accompanied by Amritsar BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu and other BJP and SAD MPs, Badal said it was evident from records that the particular flight was flying with full passenger capacity load and the discontinuation of the service caused a huge loss of revenue to the national carrier and also compromised on the viability of the Amritsar airport, which would lose about Rs 10 crore per year.

A memorandum submitted to Patel demanded that the Amritsar-London-Toronto flight be resumed immediately and new flights be introduced to Brimingham, New York and Vancouver to cater to the NRIs travelling to Amritsar from Europe, United Kingdom, United States and Canada.

Patel asked the Chairman-cum-Managing Director of Air India Arvind Jadhav, especially called for the meeting, to expedite the resumption of the Amritsar-Toronto flight within a "definite and narrow time frame."

The Deputy Chief Minister announced that Bhatinda will have a new civilian airport facility that would be inaugurated on January 20 next year.

The Civil Aviation Minister also apprised Badal that all the requisite defense, environment and other clearances for setting up the Bathinda domestic terminal had already been secured.
Would that mean that the flight will operatate daily but be split between Delhi and Amritsar? So either a daily flight to Delhi and daily to Amritsar or 4/ week to Delhi and 3/week to Amritsar?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:33 AM   #1698
Toronto_41

Egyptair has loaded their flights into GDS for the summer with 3 flights a week. It is not bookable yet but you are able to see them.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4997599/

A 777-300 with the following schedule:
MS 995 CAI YYZ 2355 0540 (--3-5-7)
MS 996 YYZ CAI 1130 0600 (1--4-6-)

Should be interesting times in the summer next year. The spotting will be amazing. No official word yet but this looks very promising.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:17 AM   #1699
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Egyptair has loaded their flights into GDS for the summer with 3 flights a week. It is not bookable yet but you are able to see them.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4997599/

A 777-300 with the following schedule:
MS 995 CAI YYZ 2355 0540 (--3-5-7)
MS 996 YYZ CAI 1130 0600 (1--4-6-)

Should be interesting times in the summer next year. The spotting will be amazing. No official word yet but this looks very promising.
Awesome news! Next summer will look nice if Ethiopian and Qatar begin their routes as well. We may have a wedding to go to in October 2011 in Cairo too so this will be VERY convenient.
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:21 AM   #1700
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Would that mean that the flight will operatate daily but be split between Delhi and Amritsar? So either a daily flight to Delhi and daily to Amritsar or 4/ week to Delhi and 3/week to Amritsar?
Good question. I understood this as a second flight (maybe not daily). So keep the daily DEL-YYZ non-stop and add a second ATQ-LHR-YYZ. I think the market is there but there's obviously some politics in play within India on this one.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto