daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:26 AM   #1701
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

Cool stuff, much appreciated for the detailed write up. That is what I wanted to know. I would like to try out the spot at the end of 24R on the afternoons. The only issue is that it gets dark too early now in the winter. Also I could also awsome HD videos from the afternoon departures. The planes would be just too close for filming. The last and most important, I agree on the scanner thing. It's a good idea to swing over at Airport road beside Wendy's and check out ATC routings. Thanks again.



Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Toronto_41,
Here you go... http://www.airportwatchcanada.com/

YU-AMC,
The spot at the end of the runway 24L is too low for any decent photography. The end of 24R is better but only in the late afternoon as departing aircraft will taxi down Delta to the threshold of the 06s.
see a couple of my shots from there for reference:


33R starts north of the 24s so from this location the planes will be too far away. 33L arrivals will come in directly overhead.

If you want a more unique location try the top of the old T2 parking garage. You'll have a fair bit of heat haze in the summer but it might be better in the winter.

75% of the time the following rule of thumb can be used for spotting at Pearson:
06s and 05 = Morning arrivals & departures
24s and 23 = Afternoon arrivals & departures

Air Canada's heavy Asian departures usually use 33R (NRT, PEK, PVG etc.)
33s are the primary runways only if there are strong northerly winds (i.e. winter season)

But it's best to have a scanner and see where the planes are being sent by ATC. We spotters often joke that the ATC guys recognize our cars now and send the aircraft to the opposite runway just for fun. LOL
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1702
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Good question. I understood this as a second flight (maybe not daily). So keep the daily DEL-YYZ non-stop and add a second ATQ-LHR-YYZ. I think the market is there but there's obviously some politics in play within India on this one.
Actually the daily YYZ-DEL flight AI188 continues on to ATQ, albeit with a plane change (but same flight number) four times a week. (Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun)

I think the issue is that those travellers going to ATQ have to clear Indian Immigration at DEL. Seems what they want from AI is a flight that goes non-stop to ATQ. Not sure if they'll get it though.
__________________
My Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/Photos
My Airliners.net photos: http://www.airliners.net/Photos
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:22 PM   #1703
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Cool stuff, much appreciated for the detailed write up. That is what I wanted to know. I would like to try out the spot at the end of 24R on the afternoons. The only issue is that it gets dark too early now in the winter. Also I could also awsome HD videos from the afternoon departures. The planes would be just too close for filming. The last and most important, I agree on the scanner thing. It's a good idea to swing over at Airport road beside Wendy's and check out ATC routings. Thanks again.
You're welcome.
__________________
My Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/Photos
My Airliners.net photos: http://www.airliners.net/Photos
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM   #1704
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Actually the daily YYZ-DEL flight AI188 continues on to ATQ, albeit with a plane change (but same flight number) four times a week. (Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun)

I think the issue is that those travellers going to ATQ have to clear Indian Immigration at DEL. Seems what they want from AI is a flight that goes non-stop to ATQ. Not sure if they'll get it though.
I don't think they want non-stop but more the return of ATQ-LHR-YYZ. Should be interesting to see how/if this unfolds.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:20 PM   #1705
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
I don't think they want non-stop but more the return of ATQ-LHR-YYZ. Should be interesting to see how/if this unfolds.
You're right.. bad choice of words on my part.
I should have written "directly to ATQ without a stop in India."
__________________
My Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/Photos
My Airliners.net photos: http://www.airliners.net/Photos
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1706
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

Posted on Routes.com

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...mence-toronto/

"Star Alliance member Egyptair has announced that it will commence non-stop service from its Cairo hub to Toronto. The new service will begin June 11th and will be operated on a thrice-weekly basis with B777 equipment. There is currently no non-stop service on this sector, although between September 2009 and September 2010, nearly 60,000 O+D passengers flew the route according to IATA BSP data (Airport IS)."

60,000 O&D passengers out of YYZ? There has been some debate on Airliners.net about these numbers. Anyhow, I am glad to see it happen. Means more options to different places. Will AC and other * members, codeshare on this route?
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:01 AM   #1707
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

I think the debate was about the population of their dispora as the numbers were overblown by a lot. Imho, It's nice to get an other B777.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Posted on Routes.com

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...mence-toronto/

"Star Alliance member Egyptair has announced that it will commence non-stop service from its Cairo hub to Toronto. The new service will begin June 11th and will be operated on a thrice-weekly basis with B777 equipment. There is currently no non-stop service on this sector, although between September 2009 and September 2010, nearly 60,000 O+D passengers flew the route according to IATA BSP data (Airport IS)."

60,000 O&D passengers out of YYZ? There has been some debate on Airliners.net about these numbers. Anyhow, I am glad to see it happen. Means more options to different places. Will AC and other * members, codeshare on this route?
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:06 AM   #1708
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

Anyways, has anyone looked at Hanian fares. I made a mock up booking for the month of March 2011, and the fares were around $800 tax included in coach class. That is awsome price for 13.5Hrs flight. Good stuff!
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:59 PM   #1709
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

KLM Aircraft to YYZ

Looks like we will get a mix of 747, 772 and A332

Amsterdam – Toronto Planned MD11 operation replaced by A330-200 or 777
KL691/692 332 Day x4 (332 replace 747)
KL695/696 74M Day x357 772 Day 357

Per airlineroute.net: http://airlineroute.net/2010/12/02/kl-s11-update5/
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #1710
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

Confirmrd by flight global, Aeromexico is returning to Toronto.

Here is the link: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...us-routes.html.

Sorry, posting from my itouch.
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1711
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Confirmrd by flight global, Aeromexico is returning to Toronto.

Here is the link: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...us-routes.html.

Sorry, posting from my itouch.
That's good news. It was inevitable I think and it should last this time around.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #1712
yyzer
Registered User
 
yyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,195
Likes (Received): 45

Canada-Egypt Air Agreement

A revised Canada-Egypt air agreement was entered into on Nov 10, 2010..

with no fanfare, and no press release, the CTA has posted this info on their website, so it looks like MS will indeed be flying to YYZ starting June 1, 2011....

http://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/doc.php?did=132&lang=eng

"applied administratively" means it takes effect immediately...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #1713
egypt69
Registered User
 
egypt69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cairo to Canada....repeat
Posts: 14,783
Likes (Received): 1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
A revised Canada-Egypt air agreement was entered into on Nov 10, 2010..

with no fanfare, and no press release, the CTA has posted this info on their website, so it looks like MS will indeed be flying to YYZ starting June 1, 2011....

http://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/doc.php?did=132&lang=eng

"applied administratively" means it takes effect immediately...



I'm going to book YYZ-CAI for late June, and CAI-YYZ for late August. Can't wait!
__________________
[SIGPIC]http://www.finlandforum.org/pics/flags/ca.png[/SIGPIC]
egypt69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #1714
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

From airlineroute.net...http://airlineroute.net/

http://airlineroute.net/2010/12/05/c...es/#more-27660

Cathay Pacific launch Abu Dhabi/Chicago and boosts New York/Toronto service in S11
20101205 by jimyvr Leave a Comment

oneWorld member Cathay Pacific announced Summer 2011 season expansion, which includes 4 weekly Hong Kong – Abu Dhabi from 02JUN11 with Airbus A330-300 (service resumption, which will extends to Jeddah), Daily Hong Kong – Chicago from 01SEP11 with Boeing 777-300ER.

In addition, 12 weekly Hong Kong – Toronto increases to 14 weekly from 01MAY11, and the oneWorld member will gradually increase Hong Kong – New York JFK service from 21 to 28 weekly by May 2011.


So double daily now...nice!
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #1715
nitzomoe
Scarebarian
 
nitzomoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 598
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt69 View Post


I'm going to book YYZ-CAI for late June, and CAI-YYZ for late August. Can't wait!
watch out for Ramadan!
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #1716
YYZplanner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzomoe View Post
watch out for Ramadan!
lol!!!
YYZplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #1717
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

WOW CX 2 daily besides AC.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #1718
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

ACT7 - You beat me to the punch. Darmn u!! LOL.

On a side note, anyone heard this about AC increasing flights to Lima?

Air Canada to increase flights to Peru

The Ministry of Transports and Communications announced Air Canada’s operations permit in Peru has been modified to increase flights, reported the financial newspaper Gestión.

Air Canada will now have up to five weekly frequencies between Toronto and Lima, to carry passengers, cargo, and mail.

The permit was modified after Air Canada requested to increase flights between both cities in December 2009. The new permit has a legal duration until December 2013.

Air Canada is the flag carrier and largest airline of Canada.

The airline, founded in 1936, provides scheduled and charter air transportation for passengers and cargo to 178 destinations worldwide.

It is the world's eighth largest passenger airline by number of destinations, and a founding member of Star Alliance.

Link: http://www.livinginperu.com/news-136...e-flights-peru
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #1719
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

EK A380 smacked up

It should have left for Dubai last night, but it did not.... Scuttlebutt around the field was that the hydraulics on the truck failed while it was servicing the 2R1 door and it fell into the wing. So everyone got overbooked with someone else I suppose?

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #1720
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

I think the plane is still here.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium