daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #1721
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

Not that I am dredging this up but I wanted to put this out there for people to read. I thought it was very interesting what was said and have had the same thoughts on this. It came from airliners.net in a section about Lufthansa pushing the Cdn government to block Emirates. Anyhow, just take a read:

Link: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5002874/

Posted by Gypsy in responce to Emirates being subsidized:

"I presume that they are subsidized in a way every Government owned airline is. By getting cash. Sure they have to buy planes to market prices and according to their negotiation skills and order magnitude but who doesn't?

Do you think LH for example would get loans at an affordable interest rate for hundreds of widebody orders (in just a few years)? Just the A380 orders lie in around 27 Billion $. Show me another airline shopping A/C in these amounts. Their orders amount to more than three times their annual revenue. I highly doubt that you will get decent financing for so much expansion on the free market.

So there is no cheap (free) money involved from the state of Dubai or the UAE? With Al-Makthoum as CEO? That's nearly the same as if BA was 100% government owned and some royal family member was to be CEO forever. I thought that EK was brought to life to assure a way of sustainabilty (among others) after all the oil is gone. But the only way to know for sure is to follow the inner accountings and root back the money which no one can. So there remains this assumption."

One question popped into my mind, how does an airline that started in 1995 grow to such dominance in 25 years? The other question that comes to mind is, how can an airline be able to afford this amount of new planes and that is just for the A380's? I would not like to tally in the possible A350 orders, 777 orders and so on. To my knowledge, no other airline whether public or private was able to sustain this kind of growth (possibly Aeroflot). Anyone, feel free to point me in the right direction?
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #1722
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

Lol again haha
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #1723
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,832
Likes (Received): 6077

Canadian truck 1 - 0 Emirates plane
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #1724
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

From airline routes... http://airlineroute.net/2010/12/09/b...e2/#more-27793

BA is upgrading YYZ service to 777-300 in Summer 2011 on BA093/92
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1725
around247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 0

Is this only for the summer of 2011 or will it be twice weekly from that point on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
From airlineroute.net...http://airlineroute.net/

http://airlineroute.net/2010/12/05/c...es/#more-27660

Cathay Pacific launch Abu Dhabi/Chicago and boosts New York/Toronto service in S11
20101205 by jimyvr Leave a Comment

oneWorld member Cathay Pacific announced Summer 2011 season expansion, which includes 4 weekly Hong Kong – Abu Dhabi from 02JUN11 with Airbus A330-300 (service resumption, which will extends to Jeddah), Daily Hong Kong – Chicago from 01SEP11 with Boeing 777-300ER.

In addition, 12 weekly Hong Kong – Toronto increases to 14 weekly from 01MAY11, and the oneWorld member will gradually increase Hong Kong – New York JFK service from 21 to 28 weekly by May 2011.


So double daily now...nice!
around247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #1726
around247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 0

Again, will this upgrade be only for the summer season or year round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
From airline routes... http://airlineroute.net/2010/12/09/b...e2/#more-27793

BA is upgrading YYZ service to 777-300 in Summer 2011 on BA093/92
around247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #1727
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com
 
Davodavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Donostia/Santander
Posts: 6,724
Likes (Received): 45

At least!!!

I could not understand why BA would not operate that route with a bigger aircraft.
And, what's more, they will bring to Toronto their newest aircraft, with the new cabin I presume!!

¡Great!
__________________
Webpage: inFocusDC.com – Please visit!!
Twitter: @inFocusDC – Please follow :-)
Davodavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #1728
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by around247 View Post
Again, will this upgrade be only for the summer season or year round?
There is no upgrade here.
BA will not be deploying their B777-300ERs to YYZ.
BA will be switching the early LHR-YYZ flight BA93 to a B767-300ER
The evening flight BA99 will switch to the B777-200ER.
__________________
My Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/Photos
My Airliners.net photos: http://www.airliners.net/Photos
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #1729
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com
 
Davodavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Donostia/Santander
Posts: 6,724
Likes (Received): 45

Well, no 777-300 then?

__________________
Webpage: inFocusDC.com – Please visit!!
Twitter: @inFocusDC – Please follow :-)
Davodavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #1730
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
There is no upgrade here.
BA will not be deploying their B777-300ERs to YYZ.
BA will be switching the early LHR-YYZ flight BA93 to a B767-300ER
The evening flight BA99 will switch to the B777-200ER.
My bad...my eyes got criss-crossed
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #1731
ACT7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,402
Likes (Received): 77

They SHOULD be using their new 777-300ER
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1732
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com
 
Davodavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Donostia/Santander
Posts: 6,724
Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
They SHOULD be using their new 777-300ER
Exactly!
__________________
Webpage: inFocusDC.com – Please visit!!
Twitter: @inFocusDC – Please follow :-)
Davodavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1733
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
They SHOULD be using their new 777-300ER
If they did... you might only see 1 daily flight from BA.

Remember that they used to be 3x daily a few years ago (before EK started) operating 2x 744s and 1x 77E.

Slowly they reduced capacity to 1x 744 and 2x 77E then eventually frequency was reduced too.
2x daily with 77Es and for the last year, although still at 2x daily a further capacity reduction to a 763 and 77E.
__________________
My Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/Photos
My Airliners.net photos: http://www.airliners.net/Photos
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #1734
GTR66
GTR66
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,274
Likes (Received): 312

Would they ever bring back their 744? Maybe for a couple of days during the olympics?. I thought they used their 777-300ers on Indian and Aisan routes. Saw a nice looking triple seven three hundred ER in Mumbai today on airliners.net
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1735
yyzer
Registered User
 
yyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,195
Likes (Received): 45

from airlineroute.net......

EGYPTAIR plans 4th weekly Cairo – Toronto service upon route launch in Jun 2011

20101221 by jimyvr Leave a Comment

As per 21DEC10 GDS timetable display, EGYPTAIR plans to add 4th weekly service on new Cairo – Toronto service upon launch from 01JUN11. However, the 4th weekly service is currently not available for reservation.

Further, the airline has modified planned operational schedule on this route, which the schedule is changed to 60-90 minutes later :

MS995 CAI0101 – 0640YYZ 77W x357
MS996 YYZ1300 – 0730+1CAI 77W x357

Day 2 service currently not available for reservation
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:03 PM   #1736
yyzer
Registered User
 
yyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,195
Likes (Received): 45

as previously reported, Canada and Jamaica entered into a new Open Skies Agreement.... apparently Canada also has signed an Open Skies Agreement with Trinidad & Tobago.....from the official govt press release:

Canada reaches open skies agreements with Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago

OTTAWA — The Honourable Chuck Strahl, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable Peter Van Loan, Minister of International Trade, today announced that open skies-type air transport agreements have been concluded with both Jamaica, and Trinidad and Tobago.

The new agreements give airlines additional flexibility for route selection, frequency of service and price setting. Airports will also be in a position to better market their services.

“I am very pleased that expanded arrangements have been reached with these two long-standing and important bilateral air transport partners in the Caribbean,” said Minister Strahl. “These agreements are further positive steps in the implementation of our government’s Blue Sky policy.”

“These agreements will reinforce Canada’s commercial relationship with two of our most significant trade partners in the Caribbean Community,” said Minister Van Loan. “Canada would like to build on this momentum as we move forward in our negotiations toward a free trade agreement with the Caribbean Community.”

Air services between Canada and both Jamaica, and Trinidad and Tobago have been operated for several years. Liberalizing the transportation-economic regulatory framework that has governed air services to these countries is consistent with the government’s Americas Strategy.

The agreements are being applied on an administrative basis, which allows new air services to begin immediately.

Since the launch of the Blue Sky policy in November 2006, the Government of Canada has negotiated air transport agreements with more than 50 countries, including:

•open skies-type agreements with 11 countries: Ireland, Iceland, New Zealand, Barbados, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, South Korea, El Salvador, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, and Jamaica;
•expanded agreements with seven countries: Mexico, Japan, Jordan, Singapore, the Philippines, Morocco and Cuba;
•new “first-time” agreements with eight countries: Kuwait, Serbia, Croatia, Panama, Turkey, South Africa, Ethiopia and Tunisia; and
•a comprehensive air transport agreement between Canada and the European Union’s 27 member states. This includes Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Slovakia and Slovenia, with which Canada did not previously have air agreements.
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM   #1737
yyzer
Registered User
 
yyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,195
Likes (Received): 45

official announcement of the new Canada-Egypt Air Agreement....

CANADA REACHES AN EXPANDED AIR TRANSPORT AGREEMENT WITH EGYPT

OTTAWA, Dec. 21 /CNW/ - The Honourable Chuck Strahl, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable Peter Van Loan, Minister of International Trade, today announced that an expanded air transport agreement has been concluded with Egypt.

"I am pleased to announce that an expanded air agreement has been reached with Egypt, which will benefit both our countries," said Minister Strahl. "This expanded agreement better responds to the needs of travellers between Canada and Egypt, and puts in place a framework that allows more convenient, direct air services."

This expanded agreement allows airlines to operate more flights between Canada and Egypt, and provides airlines with the flexibility to adjust their prices for travel between Canada and Egypt according to market forces. Airlines may also choose to offer air services using the flights of other airlines, commonly known as code-sharing services. The air transport agreement contains strong provisions dealing with aviation safety and security, reflecting the importance of these subjects to both countries.

"This new agreement will support Canada's strong and diverse commercial relationship with Egypt, a regional centre for trade and investment," said Minister Van Loan. "Our government is committed to facilitating the movement of goods, services and people around the world, and this new agreement will help Canadian companies to do just that."

The agreement is being applied on an administrative basis, allowing airlines to offer new services immediately. Once ratified, the expanded agreement will replace the 1987 Canada-Egypt bilateral air transport agreement.

Since the launch of the Blue Sky policy in November 2006, the Government of Canada has negotiated air transport agreements with more than 50 countries, including:

•open skies-type agreements with 11 countries: Ireland, Iceland, New Zealand, Barbados, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, South Korea, El Salvador, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, and Jamaica;
•expanded agreements with eight countries: Mexico, Japan, Jordan, Singapore, the Philippines, Morocco, Cuba and Egypt;
•new "first-time" agreements with eight countries: Kuwait, Serbia, Croatia, Panama, Turkey, South Africa, Ethiopia and Tunisia; and
•a comprehensive air transport agreement between Canada and the European Union's 27 member states. This includes Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Slovakia and Slovenia, with which Canada did not previously have air agreements.
Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to news releases and speeches at www.tc.gc.ca/e-news and keep up to date on the latest from Transport Canada.

This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities.
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:50 AM   #1738
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
official announcement of the new Canada-Egypt Air Agreement....

CANADA REACHES AN EXPANDED AIR TRANSPORT AGREEMENT WITH EGYPT

OTTAWA, Dec. 21 /CNW/ - The Honourable Chuck Strahl, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable Peter Van Loan, Minister of International Trade, today announced that an expanded air transport agreement has been concluded with Egypt.

"I am pleased to announce that an expanded air agreement has been reached with Egypt, which will benefit both our countries," said Minister Strahl. "This expanded agreement better responds to the needs of travellers between Canada and Egypt, and puts in place a framework that allows more convenient, direct air services."

This expanded agreement allows airlines to operate more flights between Canada and Egypt, and provides airlines with the flexibility to adjust their prices for travel between Canada and Egypt according to market forces. Airlines may also choose to offer air services using the flights of other airlines, commonly known as code-sharing services. The air transport agreement contains strong provisions dealing with aviation safety and security, reflecting the importance of these subjects to both countries.

"This new agreement will support Canada's strong and diverse commercial relationship with Egypt, a regional centre for trade and investment," said Minister Van Loan. "Our government is committed to facilitating the movement of goods, services and people around the world, and this new agreement will help Canadian companies to do just that."

The agreement is being applied on an administrative basis, allowing airlines to offer new services immediately. Once ratified, the expanded agreement will replace the 1987 Canada-Egypt bilateral air transport agreement.

Since the launch of the Blue Sky policy in November 2006, the Government of Canada has negotiated air transport agreements with more than 50 countries, including:

•open skies-type agreements with 11 countries: Ireland, Iceland, New Zealand, Barbados, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, South Korea, El Salvador, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, and Jamaica;
•expanded agreements with eight countries: Mexico, Japan, Jordan, Singapore, the Philippines, Morocco, Cuba and Egypt;
•new "first-time" agreements with eight countries: Kuwait, Serbia, Croatia, Panama, Turkey, South Africa, Ethiopia and Tunisia; and
•a comprehensive air transport agreement between Canada and the European Union's 27 member states. This includes Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Slovakia and Slovenia, with which Canada did not previously have air agreements.
Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to news releases and speeches at www.tc.gc.ca/e-news and keep up to date on the latest from Transport Canada.

This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities.
Thanks for posting. I have been reading all over the net that there will be direct links from Canada to Tunisia. Looks like Tunis Air will be launching flights to Montreal twice weekly in 2012. Thay have been quoted on several occasions and Berhamajee has a site where he posts analysis and information on these.

Quote:

Tunis Air of Tunisia has officially announced that it shall be inaugurating new nonstop flights to YUL-Montreal, Canada from June 2012. Flights will be operated twice a week nonstop using an Airbus A 330-200.

Link:

http://airline-news.blogspot.com/

Tunisia Online Link:

http://www.tunisiaonlinenews.com/tun...real-new-york/

If it happens, congrats to YUL. Good to see them growing with new services.
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #1739
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/517/5175971.html





__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #1740
yyzer
Registered User
 
yyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,195
Likes (Received): 45

There were a couple of interesting diversions to YYZ tonight, due to the big storm on the eastern seaboard....CX 840, which normally operates HKG-JFK, came to YYZ instead, and there is also a BA 744 here for the night, may have come in from BOS...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium