daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #1741
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

More NYC diversions into YYZ this morning - 2 El Al flights have arrived, one 744 and a 777, plus there is now an additional CX 77W (CX 830) on its way here..

In addition, today is the day that Turkish are upgrading their regular YYZ flights from A330/340 to 777-300ERs...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #1742
around247

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
More NYC diversions into YYZ this morning - 2 El Al flights have arrived, one 744 and a 777, plus there is now an additional CX 77W (CX 830) on its way here..

In addition, today is the day that Turkish are upgrading their regular YYZ flights from A330/340 to 777-300ERs...
that last part excites me!
around247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1743
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

From YYZNews.com

"New Designations ---Minister of Transport Chuck Strahl announced the designation of Enerjet to operate scheduled international air services between Canada and Guyana, and of Air Transat to operate scheduled international air services between Canada and Turkey. Enerjet is a new Canadian entrant into the scheduled international air services market, with Guyana being the airline's inaugural destination. Under Canada's Multiple Designation policy, all Canadian air carriers may apply to the Minister of Transport for designation to operate scheduled international air services. These designations were made possible by the 2005 Canada-Guyana and 2009 Canada-Turkey air transport agreements."

Very interesting that Enerjet has been designated the carrier between Canada and Guyana. I am thinking that this will be out of YYZ as there is a substantial Guyanese community here that goes back and forth quite a lot. The current means of getting there is via Carribean Airways and POS. Some may opt for the direct via JFK on Delta but it would be nice to have a direct flight. There were rumours sometime last year that AC was going to restart the route after a 20+ year hiatius.

Also there would be some high yield traffic on the route as there are some mining execs that would be going back and forth as well as some Rio Tinto Alcan since they need bauxite to make aluminium and Guyana is a major producer. Highly doubt there would be a need for a daily run but who knows.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #1744
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

So the UAE exorbitant visa fees have now been released...

Short term Visa $250 (Valid for 30 days, not renewable)
Long term Visa $500 (Valid for 3 mos, not renewable)
Multiple Entry Visa $1000 (Valid for 6 mos, maximum stay in UAE 14 days each visit)
Link: http://www.uae-embassy.com/Visas.html

Apparently if you're flying with EY or EK to UAE the fee is substantially lower.

IMO, I think Canada should just continue to refrain from any overt or direct retaliation but rather work with other airlines/countries on new and expanded bilateral agreements which will make flying via UAE less and less attractive.

However it will be fun watching UAE/EK and their silly antics as the saga continues....
Old December 29th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #1745
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Some of my older shots...

Old December 30th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #1746
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
So the UAE exorbitant visa fees have now been released...

Short term Visa $250 (Valid for 30 days, not renewable)
Long term Visa $500 (Valid for 3 mos, not renewable)
Multiple Entry Visa $1000 (Valid for 6 mos, maximum stay in UAE 14 days each visit)
Link: http://www.uae-embassy.com/Visas.html

Apparently if you're flying with EY or EK to UAE the fee is substantially lower.

IMO, I think Canada should just continue to refrain from any overt or direct retaliation but rather work with other airlines/countries on new and expanded bilateral agreements which will make flying via UAE less and less attractive.

However it will be fun watching UAE/EK and their silly antics as the saga continues....
Bizarre. Visa requirements really only hurt the issuing country, especially when they're so ridiculously high and not so many people are vying to get into that country anymore. Good luck to them...
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #1747
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

So indirectly they're making Emirates flights the better choice to save on the visa fee!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #1748
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

This is the middle east way to support tourism industry, by charging the tourists 1k for entry fee, all the way from the other side of the globe! I'm sure the canadians will be even more eager to visit UAE
caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 05:53 AM   #1749
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
If they did... you might only see 1 daily flight from BA.

Remember that they used to be 3x daily a few years ago (before EK started) operating 2x 744s and 1x 77E.

Slowly they reduced capacity to 1x 744 and 2x 77E then eventually frequency was reduced too.
2x daily with 77Es and for the last year, although still at 2x daily a further capacity reduction to a 763 and 77E.
I was on BA B777 during the summer of 2010. From I can tell, their older B777-200 seem decent. I think the new 300 series are just new. I am not really sure if it is much of a upgrade. I would say the older BA 777s are about decade old.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 06:05 AM   #1750
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Btw yyzhyd, I picked up 70-200mm L IS. It was the time to step in the super league. So expect some good pictures guys. I am very excited. Cheers to all Pearson fans!

YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1751
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

WOW, you should be
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:14 PM   #1752
flesh_is_weak
Oberste Richter

Likes (Received): 8

silly UAE visa fees...aside from that silly tower, what else is there to see anyway?
flesh_is_weak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:38 AM   #1753
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flesh_is_weak View Post
silly UAE visa fees...aside from that silly tower, what else is there to see anyway?
Absolutely nothing. Some malls...whoopdie doo. I've been 5 times now and it's a flashy mirage, nothing more. In fact, I was planning on visiting my relatives there next fall but not for an extra $250 I won't.
Old January 1st, 2011, 02:13 AM   #1754
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Absolutely nothing. Some malls...whoopdie doo. I've been 5 times now and it's a flashy mirage, nothing more. In fact, I was planning on visiting my relatives there next fall but not for an extra $250 I won't.
Dont get to excited about the city. Mom calls it ""The city of waste of money"". You can get to dubai with other carriers but you would have to connect in a forgein city. Happy travels and Happy New Year!
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 04:04 AM   #1755
ACT7

Sadly it looks like LAN will be stopping YYZ service effective April 1st. No reason given...

Article: http://www.mississauga.com/news/busi...out-of-pearson
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM   #1756
yyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Sadly it looks like LAN will be stopping YYZ service effective April 1st. No reason given...

Article: http://www.mississauga.com/news/busi...out-of-pearson
Discussion on airliners that LAN will be replacing the JFK-YYZ service with 2 new ones: SCL-LIM-YYZ, plus BOG-YYZ (presumably with LAN Colombia)...

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5024743/
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:13 PM   #1757
LiveInScl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Lan Airlines stop the route SCL-NYC-YYZ Because the lack of aircraft and the competition of Air Canada in this Fligh YYZ-SCL-EZE.

But the next Year it seems to start SCL-LIM-YYZ and SCL-LIM-YVR in Boeing B787

SCL and LIM are the Main Hub's of Lan Airlines.

In North America, Lan flyes to NYC, MIA, LAX, SFO, MEX and CUN

Scuse me for mi very poor english
LiveInScl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM   #1758
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInScl View Post
Lan Airlines stop the route SCL-NYC-YYZ Because the lack of aircraft and the competition of Air Canada in this Fligh YYZ-SCL-EZE.

But the next Year it seems to start SCL-LIM-YYZ and SCL-LIM-YVR in Boeing B787

SCL and LIM are the Main Hub's of Lan Airlines.

In North America, Lan flyes to NYC, MIA, LAX, SFO, MEX and CUN

Scuse me for mi very poor english
Okay, well that's good news. It's true, AC seems to dominate that route...a completely full 777 on that run now. Just got off of it this morning
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:52 AM   #1759
yyzer

per airlineroute.net, COPA Airlines (CM) are starting YYZ on June 16....

COPA Airlines Initial S11 Operation Changes: New service to Porto Alegre and Toronto

20110102 by jimyvr Leave a Comment

As per 02JAN11 GDS timetable display, COPA Airlines starting June 2011 is to launch 4 weekly each of Panama City – Porto Alegre and Panama City – Toronto service.

In addition, a number of routes will also see major operation changes from mid-June 2011, the peak of summer 2011 season. Details as follows:

Panama City – Porto Alegre NEW 4 weekly service eff 15JUN11
CM821 PTY1524 – 0027+1POA 73G x256
CM822 POA0132 – 0650PTY 73G x367

Panama City – Toronto NEW 4 weekly service eff 16JUN11
CM470 PTY1735 – 2359YYZ 73G x136
CM471 YYZ0940 – 1412PTY 73G x247
Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:52 AM   #1760
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Emirates airline offers Canadians visas at just $61

Travellers can bypass embassy route where visa charges have been increase substantially

Joseph George

January 03, 2011

Canadians travelling through Dubai can obtain a short-term visa of four days for just Dh190.

Canadians travelling through Dubai can obtain a short-term visa of four days for $61.5 (Dh225.9), provided they are travelling with Emirates airline.

Similarly, Canadian citizens, holding a valid residency in the UAE and wanting to bring their parents and immediate relatives on a visit, can do so by booking tickets on Emirates airlines.

The visa charges are now $74.5 (Dh273.6) for a 30-day visa extendable by another 30 days.

A 90-day visa only for parents or in-laws travelling by Emirates is available for for Dh1155.

“The facility is only available to passengers of Emirates airline irrespective of the nationality,” said an Emirates official at the Dnata office on Sheikh Zayed Road.

"Canadian travellers can now apply for and purchase UAE visas online via www.emirates.com. All ticketed Emirates customers, regardless of whether their ticket was purchased via a travel agent, online via www.emirates.com, or directly from an Emirates call centre or retail shop, may log-in to ‘Manage a Booking’ on www.emirates.com and access the application tool. Both 96 hour and 30 day visas are available and these will be issued via email within 3-4 working days," said a statement isued by Emirates airline.

Canada, until recently, was among more than 30 countries whose citizens could travel to the UAE on a free one-month visa.

But the UAE authorities recently amended the rules whereby Canadians will now have to pay $1,000 for a six-month multiple entry visa and the maximum stay is 14 days per visit. A three-month visa will go for $500. A 30-day visa will cost $250.

In October last year the UAE had given a 30 day deadline for the Canadian military personnel to leave the Camp Mirage base outside Dubai.

The irony is that the diplomatic standoff between Canada and the UAE centres around airspace and the nations carriers. Now it is the Emirates route that seems best for Canadians.

Earlier Story: Canadians to pay $998 for UAE visa

Canadian citizens travelling to the UAE will need to budget a little extra time and money when planning their trips.

The UAE Embassy in Canada has announced it will charge Canadian nationals up to C$1,000 (US$998) for entry visas to the Gulf country from January 2 onwards.

The UAE Embassy in Ottawa has posted the new rates on its website, including a short-term (30 days), non-renewable visa that will cost C$250 ($249), a long-term (3 months) non-renewable visa for C$500 ($499), and a six-month multiple-entry visa for C$1,000 ($998), which allows for a maximum stay in the UAE of 14 days per visit.

While Canada was earlier among the list of 30-plus countries whose nationals do not require a visa to travel to the UAE - including the US, Germany, Japan and France - travellers will now need to apply for the visa about three weeks prior to flying.

The complete visa application needs to be sent to the UAE Embassy 15 working days before the departure date, according to the new requirements. The amount paid "is non-refundable in case of a visa refusal," the embassy said, adding that visa requirements may change in the future.

The new fees come into effect January 2.

The decision for Canadian nationals to require visas to enter the UAE was announced in November.

http://www.emirates247.com/business/...01-03-1.337245

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto