daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #1781
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Don't even start down that path buddy. Canada's media is a heck of a lot freer than UAE, where even Flickr is a banned website.
It is not blocked any more.

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1782
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
So lets say I am a Pakistani or East Indian, how much an average these people save by flying on EK/EY instead of PK-AI/jET Airways. I want to know what they save an average per person by not flying direct/non-stop.
First of all, there is NO visa required for transiting through DXB or any other UAE Airports. The advantage on doing it through Emirates Airlines (if you fly with them) is saving time and effort, not saving money.

Quote:
it makes no difference to me if Canadians are paying more, less or the same amount as other nationals.
However, if you can post one, just one link/reference to prove it that would be greatly appreciated.
From the website of the Goverment Authority that issues the visas. All figures are in AED, if the first link does not open directly, try it from the 2nd one.

http://dnrd.ae/DNRD/NewsImages/fees-Eng.GIF

http://dnrd.ae/DNRD/News%20And%20Eve...309&lang=en-GB

There are some other fees applied for filling up and submiting the requuired documentations, so in total it would cost slightly more.

Tourist visas cost US$57 - US$60 so still insisting Emirates is offering cheapper visas would be a bllatant lie.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #1783
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Thanks.
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #1784
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
First of all, there is NO visa required for transiting through DXB or any other UAE Airports. The advantage on doing it through Emirates Airlines (if you fly with them) is saving time and effort, not saving money.

From the website of the Goverment Authority that issues the visas. All figures are in AED, if the first link does not open directly, try it from the 2nd one.

http://dnrd.ae/DNRD/NewsImages/fees-Eng.GIF

http://dnrd.ae/DNRD/News%20And%20Eve...309&lang=en-GB

There are some other fees applied for filling up and submiting the requuired documentations, so in total it would cost slightly more.

Tourist visas cost US$57 - US$60 so still insisting Emirates is offering cheapper visas would be a bllatant lie.
That is not what I am asking. I was curious to know if it is cheaper to fly Via Dubai to these two countries.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #1785
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Sorry, I can't help you with that. You have to check with your travel agent or the Airline(s) websites) ... plus, with all the different fare types differentiating so much within the same flight, does it really make sense to state which Airline is cheaper?

Though, as a rule of thumb, Qatar Airways would usually be cheaper then Emirates.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1786
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/520/5205957.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #1787
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
That shot is by David Brook from YYZ, whom I've emailed as well as the airliners.net admins.
Link to David's shot http://www.airliners.net/photo/Haina...642/1842425/L/

This site is cropping out the copyright bar on airliners.net photos and seems to be passing them off as their own... not cool at all.
I can't read the Chinese but it looks like they're a bunch of rip off artists!
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #1788
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ah .. interesting. Good catch.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #1789
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
That shot is by David Brook from YYZ, whom I've emailed as well as the airliners.net admins.
Link to David's shot http://www.airliners.net/photo/Haina...642/1842425/L/

This site is cropping out the copyright bar on airliners.net photos and seems to be passing them off as their own... not cool at all.
I can't read the Chinese but it looks like they're a bunch of rip off artists!
I suppose that's why some use the airliners watermark over their photos. Something to consider next time.
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1790
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Sorry, I can't help you with that. You have to check with your travel agent or the Airline(s) websites) ... plus, with all the different fare types differentiating so much within the same flight, does it really make sense to state which Airline is cheaper?

Though, as a rule of thumb, Qatar Airways would usually be cheaper then Emirates.
That is all fine, I was being just laid back not to check online. I just did it now.

So I put in departing 31th january and returning on the 16th february YYZ-KHI (Karachi)

Option number one - $1488 incl tax with PIA
Option number two with EK - $1374 incl tax........

Foxy EK foxy EK hehehe
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #1791
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Hello and happy new year to all. Trying to adjust to life in Montreal now. So I found this link and thought I would post it. Did not see this one coming but who knows.

Hellenic Airways to YUL and YYZ link:
http://www.hellenicairways.com/hia-i...usa-and-canada

Take it for what it is.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #1792
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Btw looks as Turkish sent some A340s in November, but still upgraded to B777 metal in December of 2010.... Wow this is just big! I wonder how often do they fly to YYZ in the winter? Is it still three flights per week? Any ideas on their summer plans.
Old January 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1793
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Btw looks as Turkish sent some A340s in November, but still upgraded to B777 metal in December of 2010.... Wow this is just big! I wonder how often do they fly to YYZ in the winter? Is it still three flights per week? Any ideas on their summer plans.
Yep, TK upgraded to 777-300ER effective Dec 27th...they will continue with 3 x's weekly, which is the maximum allowed under the current bilateral...summer shows 777-300ER as well....
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1794
around247

Likes (Received): 0

Air Canada wanted daily Emirates flights!

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...ights-1.746558

Air Canada wanted daily Emirates flights

In return, airline wanted 50% profits
By Mick O'Reilly, Deputy Managing Editor
Published: 00:00 January 15, 2011

Ottawa: Air Canada wanted Emirates to fly daily into Toronto, a document obtained by Gulf News shows.

According to the proposal dated October 17, 2006, the Canadian airline even proposed the landing times for Emirates flights in Toronto so as to maximise the number of Air Canada passengers using the service.

In return for the arrangement, Air Canada wanted 50 per cent of all of Emirates's profits on the route. Emirates rejected the proposal. Air Canada and Emirates did not comment.

Since the 2006 deal was rejected, both Emirates and Etihad have been limited to three flights a week to Toronto, and the UAE carriers have been refused more landing slots and have been stalled in their efforts to fly to other Canadian destinations of Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver.

Air Canada, however, while believing the proposed arrangement would be profitable in 2006, has since consistently claimed that thousands of jobs would be lost if more UAE flights are granted. "Clearly, this document shows the duplicity of Air Canada and the Canadian government in this whole affair," Dan McTeague, the opposition Liberal party's critic on foreign and consular affairs, told Gulf News. "The government is acting in the interests of Air Canada."

McTeague said that if Air Canada wanted more flights, then its current view on jobs doesn't told water. An Emirates study says that daily flights to Toronto would create nearly 2,000 new jobs and would contribute $26 million (Dh94 million) annually in tax revenue for federal and provincial governments.
around247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1795
LukaChile

Likes (Received): 2

Awesome airport, and fantastic photos!
LukaChile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #1796
JF97
;)

Likes (Received): 342

love YYZ!
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #1797
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Yep, TK upgraded to 777-300ER effective Dec 27th...they will continue with 3 x's weekly, which is the maximum allowed under the current bilateral...summer shows 777-300ER as well....
Good! Btw If JU had any chances of coming back to YYZ, what would the current bilateral agreement look like? Would there be any exception considering that they operated from YUL/YYZ and YVR for the two decades... That is considering if they could sustain three weekly in winter and five in summer time.
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #1798
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by around247 View Post
http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...ights-1.746558

Air Canada wanted daily Emirates flights

In return, airline wanted 50% profits
By Mick O'Reilly, Deputy Managing Editor
Published: 00:00 January 15, 2011

Ottawa: Air Canada wanted Emirates to fly daily into Toronto, a document obtained by Gulf News shows.

According to the proposal dated October 17, 2006, the Canadian airline even proposed the landing times for Emirates flights in Toronto so as to maximise the number of Air Canada passengers using the service.

In return for the arrangement, Air Canada wanted 50 per cent of all of Emirates's profits on the route. Emirates rejected the proposal. Air Canada and Emirates did not comment.

Since the 2006 deal was rejected, both Emirates and Etihad have been limited to three flights a week to Toronto, and the UAE carriers have been refused more landing slots and have been stalled in their efforts to fly to other Canadian destinations of Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver.

Air Canada, however, while believing the proposed arrangement would be profitable in 2006, has since consistently claimed that thousands of jobs would be lost if more UAE flights are granted. "Clearly, this document shows the duplicity of Air Canada and the Canadian government in this whole affair," Dan McTeague, the opposition Liberal party's critic on foreign and consular affairs, told Gulf News. "The government is acting in the interests of Air Canada."

McTeague said that if Air Canada wanted more flights, then its current view on jobs doesn't told water. An Emirates study says that daily flights to Toronto would create nearly 2,000 new jobs and would contribute $26 million (Dh94 million) annually in tax revenue for federal and provincial governments.
AC is being quite a big dreamer, expecting another non-affiliated airline to fly its own airplanes, pay for its crew, pay for all the on-the-ground charges, and then get 50% profit as free money.

Old January 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1799
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
AC is being quite a big dreamer, expecting another non-affiliated airline to fly its own airplanes, pay for its crew, pay for all the on-the-ground charges, and then get 50% profit as free money.
It has nothing to do with dreaming, in fact it's a shrewd business proposition by AC. It's not "free money" either as AC would be feeding pax to EK at YYZ from their domestic traffic instead of to European carriers thereby helping to fill those A380s. AC has just such an arrangement with LH where they split TATL route profits 50-50.

Since there is nothing really that a Canadian carrier would want from UAE except possibly 5th Freedoms to South Asia. Why not profit sharing? Shame EK didn't even counter-offer.
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #1800
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
It has nothing to do with dreaming, in fact it's a shrewd business proposition by AC. It's not "free money" either as AC would be feeding pax to EK at YYZ from their domestic traffic instead of to European carriers thereby helping to fill those A380s. AC has just such an arrangement with LH where they split TATL route profits 50-50.

Since there is nothing really that a Canadian carrier would want from UAE except possibly 5th Freedoms to South Asia. Why not profit sharing? Shame EK didn't even counter-offer.
With no interline agreement, passengers destined for EK flights to Dubai would have to connect to Toronto via another carrier, and pay for a 2nd ticket anyway. So AC's proposal would be no benefit to EK. Might as well do it all by themselves and keep 100% of profits.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto