daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #1781
Dubaiiscool:)
Registered User
 
Dubaiiscool:)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ASIA-AUSTRALASIA-AFRICA
Posts: 1,275
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Don't even start down that path buddy. Canada's media is a heck of a lot freer than UAE, where even Flickr is a banned website.
It is not blocked any more.
__________________
I HATE PATRIOTISM !
GET IN ! = ICONIC
Dubaiiscool:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1782
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,832
Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
So lets say I am a Pakistani or East Indian, how much an average these people save by flying on EK/EY instead of PK-AI/jET Airways. I want to know what they save an average per person by not flying direct/non-stop.
First of all, there is NO visa required for transiting through DXB or any other UAE Airports. The advantage on doing it through Emirates Airlines (if you fly with them) is saving time and effort, not saving money.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
it makes no difference to me if Canadians are paying more, less or the same amount as other nationals.
However, if you can post one, just one link/reference to prove it that would be greatly appreciated.
From the website of the Goverment Authority that issues the visas. All figures are in AED, if the first link does not open directly, try it from the 2nd one.

http://dnrd.ae/DNRD/NewsImages/fees-Eng.GIF

http://dnrd.ae/DNRD/News%20And%20Eve...309&lang=en-GB


There are some other fees applied for filling up and submiting the requuired documentations, so in total it would cost slightly more.

Tourist visas cost US$57 - US$60 so still insisting Emirates is offering cheapper visas would be a bllatant lie.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #1783
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Thanks.
__________________
My Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/Photos
My Airliners.net photos: http://www.airliners.net/Photos
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #1784
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
First of all, there is NO visa required for transiting through DXB or any other UAE Airports. The advantage on doing it through Emirates Airlines (if you fly with them) is saving time and effort, not saving money.




From the website of the Goverment Authority that issues the visas. All figures are in AED, if the first link does not open directly, try it from the 2nd one.

http://dnrd.ae/DNRD/NewsImages/fees-Eng.GIF

http://dnrd.ae/DNRD/News%20And%20Eve...309&lang=en-GB


There are some other fees applied for filling up and submiting the requuired documentations, so in total it would cost slightly more.

Tourist visas cost US$57 - US$60 so still insisting Emirates is offering cheapper visas would be a bllatant lie.
That is not what I am asking. I was curious to know if it is cheaper to fly Via Dubai to these two countries.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #1785
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,832
Likes (Received): 6077

Sorry, I can't help you with that. You have to check with your travel agent or the Airline(s) websites) ... plus, with all the different fare types differentiating so much within the same flight, does it really make sense to state which Airline is cheaper?

Though, as a rule of thumb, Qatar Airways would usually be cheaper then Emirates.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1786
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/520/5205957.html

__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #1787
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
That shot is by David Brook from YYZ, whom I've emailed as well as the airliners.net admins.
Link to David's shot http://www.airliners.net/photo/Haina...642/1842425/L/

This site is cropping out the copyright bar on airliners.net photos and seems to be passing them off as their own... not cool at all.
I can't read the Chinese but it looks like they're a bunch of rip off artists!
__________________
My Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/Photos
My Airliners.net photos: http://www.airliners.net/Photos
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #1788
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Ah .. interesting. Good catch.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #1789
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
That shot is by David Brook from YYZ, whom I've emailed as well as the airliners.net admins.
Link to David's shot http://www.airliners.net/photo/Haina...642/1842425/L/

This site is cropping out the copyright bar on airliners.net photos and seems to be passing them off as their own... not cool at all.
I can't read the Chinese but it looks like they're a bunch of rip off artists!
I suppose that's why some use the airliners watermark over their photos. Something to consider next time.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1790
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Sorry, I can't help you with that. You have to check with your travel agent or the Airline(s) websites) ... plus, with all the different fare types differentiating so much within the same flight, does it really make sense to state which Airline is cheaper?

Though, as a rule of thumb, Qatar Airways would usually be cheaper then Emirates.
That is all fine, I was being just laid back not to check online. I just did it now.

So I put in departing 31th january and returning on the 16th february YYZ-KHI (Karachi)

Option number one - $1488 incl tax with PIA
Option number two with EK - $1374 incl tax........

Foxy EK foxy EK hehehe
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #1791
Toronto_41
Registered User
 
Toronto_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YUL, YYZ, CDG, LGA
Posts: 256
Likes (Received): 65

Hello and happy new year to all. Trying to adjust to life in Montreal now. So I found this link and thought I would post it. Did not see this one coming but who knows.

Hellenic Airways to YUL and YYZ link:
http://www.hellenicairways.com/hia-i...usa-and-canada

Take it for what it is.
__________________
Life is like a box of Chocolates! If you know better then everyone, then why ask?

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #1792
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

Btw looks as Turkish sent some A340s in November, but still upgraded to B777 metal in December of 2010.... Wow this is just big! I wonder how often do they fly to YYZ in the winter? Is it still three flights per week? Any ideas on their summer plans.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1793
yyzer
Registered User
 
yyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,195
Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Btw looks as Turkish sent some A340s in November, but still upgraded to B777 metal in December of 2010.... Wow this is just big! I wonder how often do they fly to YYZ in the winter? Is it still three flights per week? Any ideas on their summer plans.
Yep, TK upgraded to 777-300ER effective Dec 27th...they will continue with 3 x's weekly, which is the maximum allowed under the current bilateral...summer shows 777-300ER as well....
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1794
around247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 0

Air Canada wanted daily Emirates flights!

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...ights-1.746558

Air Canada wanted daily Emirates flights

In return, airline wanted 50% profits
By Mick O'Reilly, Deputy Managing Editor
Published: 00:00 January 15, 2011


Ottawa: Air Canada wanted Emirates to fly daily into Toronto, a document obtained by Gulf News shows.

According to the proposal dated October 17, 2006, the Canadian airline even proposed the landing times for Emirates flights in Toronto so as to maximise the number of Air Canada passengers using the service.

In return for the arrangement, Air Canada wanted 50 per cent of all of Emirates's profits on the route. Emirates rejected the proposal. Air Canada and Emirates did not comment.

Since the 2006 deal was rejected, both Emirates and Etihad have been limited to three flights a week to Toronto, and the UAE carriers have been refused more landing slots and have been stalled in their efforts to fly to other Canadian destinations of Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver.

Air Canada, however, while believing the proposed arrangement would be profitable in 2006, has since consistently claimed that thousands of jobs would be lost if more UAE flights are granted. "Clearly, this document shows the duplicity of Air Canada and the Canadian government in this whole affair," Dan McTeague, the opposition Liberal party's critic on foreign and consular affairs, told Gulf News. "The government is acting in the interests of Air Canada."

McTeague said that if Air Canada wanted more flights, then its current view on jobs doesn't told water. An Emirates study says that daily flights to Toronto would create nearly 2,000 new jobs and would contribute $26 million (Dh94 million) annually in tax revenue for federal and provincial governments.
around247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1795
LukaChile
*
 
LukaChile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santiago
Posts: 2,126
Likes (Received): 2

Awesome airport, and fantastic photos!
LukaChile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #1796
JF97
;)
 
JF97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,504
Likes (Received): 342

love YYZ!
__________________
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy" - Hamlet
JF97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #1797
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd
 
YU-AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whitchurch, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,248
Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Yep, TK upgraded to 777-300ER effective Dec 27th...they will continue with 3 x's weekly, which is the maximum allowed under the current bilateral...summer shows 777-300ER as well....
Good! Btw If JU had any chances of coming back to YYZ, what would the current bilateral agreement look like? Would there be any exception considering that they operated from YUL/YYZ and YVR for the two decades... That is considering if they could sustain three weekly in winter and five in summer time.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #1798
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by around247 View Post
http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...ights-1.746558

Air Canada wanted daily Emirates flights

In return, airline wanted 50% profits
By Mick O'Reilly, Deputy Managing Editor
Published: 00:00 January 15, 2011


Ottawa: Air Canada wanted Emirates to fly daily into Toronto, a document obtained by Gulf News shows.

According to the proposal dated October 17, 2006, the Canadian airline even proposed the landing times for Emirates flights in Toronto so as to maximise the number of Air Canada passengers using the service.

In return for the arrangement, Air Canada wanted 50 per cent of all of Emirates's profits on the route. Emirates rejected the proposal. Air Canada and Emirates did not comment.

Since the 2006 deal was rejected, both Emirates and Etihad have been limited to three flights a week to Toronto, and the UAE carriers have been refused more landing slots and have been stalled in their efforts to fly to other Canadian destinations of Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver.

Air Canada, however, while believing the proposed arrangement would be profitable in 2006, has since consistently claimed that thousands of jobs would be lost if more UAE flights are granted. "Clearly, this document shows the duplicity of Air Canada and the Canadian government in this whole affair," Dan McTeague, the opposition Liberal party's critic on foreign and consular affairs, told Gulf News. "The government is acting in the interests of Air Canada."

McTeague said that if Air Canada wanted more flights, then its current view on jobs doesn't told water. An Emirates study says that daily flights to Toronto would create nearly 2,000 new jobs and would contribute $26 million (Dh94 million) annually in tax revenue for federal and provincial governments.
AC is being quite a big dreamer, expecting another non-affiliated airline to fly its own airplanes, pay for its crew, pay for all the on-the-ground charges, and then get 50% profit as free money.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1799
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
AC is being quite a big dreamer, expecting another non-affiliated airline to fly its own airplanes, pay for its crew, pay for all the on-the-ground charges, and then get 50% profit as free money.
It has nothing to do with dreaming, in fact it's a shrewd business proposition by AC. It's not "free money" either as AC would be feeding pax to EK at YYZ from their domestic traffic instead of to European carriers thereby helping to fill those A380s. AC has just such an arrangement with LH where they split TATL route profits 50-50.

Since there is nothing really that a Canadian carrier would want from UAE except possibly 5th Freedoms to South Asia. Why not profit sharing? Shame EK didn't even counter-offer.
__________________
My Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/Photos
My Airliners.net photos: http://www.airliners.net/Photos
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #1800
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
It has nothing to do with dreaming, in fact it's a shrewd business proposition by AC. It's not "free money" either as AC would be feeding pax to EK at YYZ from their domestic traffic instead of to European carriers thereby helping to fill those A380s. AC has just such an arrangement with LH where they split TATL route profits 50-50.

Since there is nothing really that a Canadian carrier would want from UAE except possibly 5th Freedoms to South Asia. Why not profit sharing? Shame EK didn't even counter-offer.
With no interline agreement, passengers destined for EK flights to Dubai would have to connect to Toronto via another carrier, and pay for a 2nd ticket anyway. So AC's proposal would be no benefit to EK. Might as well do it all by themselves and keep 100% of profits.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium