daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #1901
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Maybe they are learning from EK? They probably don't want to serve YYZ and YUL with a three weekly rotations to each destination. That is if they are in the same boat with UAE in terms of bilateral agreement. No wonder why EK has not so great LF here in YYZ. It's hard to make it work the way it is.
Couple of corrections...
1. QR has 6 weekly rights but are split evenly 3 pax, 3 cargo.
2. EK's LF (load factors) ex-YYZ are consistently around 86% year round.

Now if you're talking about YF (yield factor) you might have a point as the J cabin in their A380s seats 80 and it is often barely 25% full. If EK was granted daily frequencies, the A388 would be dropped in favour of the B77W.

Essentially what QR is doing is trying to show that they are different than EK by starting service to YUL instead of YYZ and are building goodwill with the government for doing so. They will definitely ask for an increase in about a year to 10 frequencies. This would allow the YUL to remain 3x weekly and ability to add a daily YYZ flight.
The best part is that the new NDIA will be fully operational in early 2012 so if QR starts YYZ it might well be Autumn 2012 targetting the peak South Asia travel season.

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1902
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Do you mean that the A380 cabin to and from YYZ is 25% full or in general with their A380's? I'm only asking because you referenced their LF ex-YYZ.

I think you have a point with the goodwill argument however it's a strange reason to enter a market. Generally speaking, economics should play a bigger role - if not THE single biggest role. The trouble is that if they can't make YUL work (which is quite possible), they may abandon the Canadian market all together sighting weak demand.

Filip may be right...maybe they looked at the demographics of Canada from the 60's and extrapolated.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #1903
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Hmmm I have been reading on A.net that LF is around 70ish%. That is good to know.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #1904
ACT7

I know we've seen/heard this already but this seems like a fairly updated article...

SriLankan flights to Toronto

Article: http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2011/03/06/new21.asp

SriLankan flights to Toronto
by Shirajiv SIRIMANE

SriLankan Airlines would fly to Toronto for the first time from October this year.

Minister of Aviation Priyankara Jayaratne said that they would be operating this flight with a stopover in London Heathrow. "We are looking at a frequency of seven flights per week," he said.

The Minister said that they have already got the green light for this proposal and are now considering other logistics.

"There is a major traffic load from Colombo to UK, and there is also a market from London to Toronto and back," he said.

Minister Jayaratne said they have already informed their agents of this route and received a positive response.

He said that they will also increase the current 14 flights per week frequency to Heathrow to 21 within the next few months.

Commenting on the future of SriLankan Airlines, he said that plans are under way to have more aircraft for the national carrier. "We also want to strengthen Mihin Lanka which is now making profits during high seasons," he said.

The roll-out plan for the two airlines is to increase the fleet strength to around 30 in the near future."Currently, SriLankan has 15 aircraft while Mihin operates two aircraft. "We also want to have more sea planes as with the increase in tourists arrivals, there is a demand for this sector as well," the Minister said.

He also disclosed plans by Airport Aviation Services to launch its own charter passenger helicopter service. "We are planning to commence this service from the Colombo International Airport to any destination in Sri Lanka. We are looking now for a suitable helicopter for this operation".

CEO Mihin Lanka, Kapila Chandrasena said the airline is making profits during some months which is a good trend. "We are still a young airline and to record profits is creditable," he said.Chandrasena added that the three new routes - Male, Indonesia and Bangladesh - are drawing a lot of transit traffic and the introduction of these three destinations has been a positive move.
Old March 6th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #1905
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

So UL has 5th freedom to fly UK passengers to Toronto?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #1906
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Do you mean that the A380 cabin to and from YYZ is 25% full or in general with their A380's? I'm only asking because you referenced their LF ex-YYZ.

I think you have a point with the goodwill argument however it's a strange reason to enter a market. Generally speaking, economics should play a bigger role - if not THE single biggest role. The trouble is that if they can't make YUL work (which is quite possible), they may abandon the Canadian market all together sighting weak demand.

Filip may be right...maybe they looked at the demographics of Canada from the 60's and extrapolated.
I was referencing J (i.e Business class) only. EK's 380s have 80 seats but usually only 25% of the pax have actually paid the business class fare. Rest are often upgrades of skywards members.

QR is more about keeping their 5 star rating than profits.
Finally one last point on why YUL? Dont forget about QR's potentially large order of Bombardier's C-Series.
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #1907
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
So UL has 5th freedom to fly UK passengers to Toronto?
Yes. This was included as part of the recently updated UK-Sri Lankan bilateral.
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1908
ACT7

Hehe, good point. Politics and aviation...who'da thunk it
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #1909
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Bit OT, but HAH! I got hold of what seems to be a fare misfile from YOW to YYZ April 20-May 06.

Just under $100 all included.. Nevermind that I never found fares below $190 on this sector.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #1910
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Yes. This was included as part of the recently updated UK-Sri Lankan bilateral.
I am sure Emirates now regrets having abandoned their stake in Sri Lankan.....They had bought their way into the airline in the 90s in the first place to get access to the highly valued landing slots at London Heathrow....
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1911
ACT7

Not to belabour the whole Qatar Airways thing but it kind of reminds me of when Transaero set up shop in YUL before YYZ but has since abandoned YUL entirely. I predict a similar outcome in this case
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #1912
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
I am sure Emirates now regrets having abandoned their stake in Sri Lankan.....They had bought their way into the airline in the 90s in the first place to get access to the highly valued landing slots at London Heathrow....
Considering the war in Sri Lanka was causing UL planes to be targetted and destroyed I think it was a wise decision to drop their stake.

Don't forget that EK operates 5x daily into LHR

EK001 - A388
EK003 - A388
EK005 - B773
EK007 - B773
EK029 - B77W

That's roughly 2,300 seats a DAY just to Heathrow... if you add on Gatwick there's another 1,300 seats a day. I think 3,600 daily seats into London is pretty much blanket coverage of the city.

Even without any additional slots they could upgauge to all A380 operation at LHR increasing capacity by 8-9% and have over 2,500 seats a day.

Last edited by yyzhyd; March 8th, 2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #1913
yyzhyd

UL to YYZ

Found on A.net this morning

As per the 'Daily News' newspaper, SriLankan Airlines will fly CMB-LHR-YYZ daily starting this October.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2011/03/09/news03.asp
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1914
ACT7

Quote:
Found on A.net this morning

As per the 'Daily News' newspaper, SriLankan Airlines will fly CMB-LHR-YYZ daily starting this October.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2011/03/09/news03.asp
Great news! It'll be nice to see them here as their first NA destination.
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #1915
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

Quote:
Considering the war in Sri Lanka was causing UL planes to be targetted and destroyed I think it was a wise decision to drop their stake.

Don't forget that EK operates 5x daily into LHR

EK001 - A388
EK003 - A388
EK005 - B773
EK007 - B773
EK029 - B77W

That's roughly 2,300 seats a DAY just to Heathrow... if you add on Gatwick there's another 1,300 seats a day. I think 3,600 daily seats into London is pretty much blanket coverage of the city.

Even without any additional slots they could upgauge to all A380 operation at LHR increasing capacity by 8-9% and have over 2,500 seats a day.
yes....that is how it is now...I was talking about the early to mid 90s!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #1916
Леонид
Espartano

Likes (Received): 873

can we see pictures of this wonderful airport pleaseeee?
Леонид no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #1917
ACT7

Can't say I've ever seen this happen before...

Article: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...n-tonight?bn=1

More delays expected at Pearson tonight, but maybe not as bad

Quote:
With March Break winding down, airport madness appears to be winding up.

Many people are holding their breath at Pearson International Airport tonight, hoping that Wednesday’s long waits never happen again.

Delays are expected again at the Terminal One arrivals area, but officials say plans are in place to prevent another chaotic situation — one that a Toronto passenger compared to being in a Third World country.

On Wednesday, 4,000 passengers landing from international flights were pressed like sardines into Terminal One from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m., causing a bottleneck at Customs and a massive frustration for people who had to endure waits of up to two to three hours.

Once passengers were cleared, they faced the added frustration of trying to locate their luggage, which they found strewn about the floor after they had been removed from already overloaded carousels.

“It was unacceptable,” said Scott Armstrong, spokesperson for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority, which operates Canada’s largest airport. “It was not a good night. We occasionally see passengers held, but nothing on this scale.”

A two-hour debriefing meeting between the GTAA and Canada Border Services Agency was held Thursday to address what went wrong and avoid a repeat.

After the meeting, the GTAA said Canada Border Services has made assurances that from now until the end of March Break, Customs will be at full staff.

Angry travellers have reported that with 33 inspection booths available at Terminal One arrivals, only a handful of agents were on hand Wednesday.

“That is completely false,” said Vanessa Barrasa, spokesperson for Canada Border Services Agency.

She said that there were at least 14 primary inspection-line booths in operation Wednesday and that number grew to 17 over the course of the night.

Barrasa also disputed reports from passengers that they had to wait in line for up to three hours.

“That is false,” she said. “The longest wait time was 90 minutes. That is still unacceptable, but it’s rare that we have waits that long. We try to stay under 60 minutes.”

Barrasa said the agency’s March Break “action plan” kicks in Thursday and that plan assures full staffing. She wouldn’t put a number on full staffing levels, saying those numbers can change depending on the information provided by the GTAA on volumes expected.

However, with planes packed full of travellers starting to trek home from March Break, there will be inevitable delays.

The GTAA is warning that those delays can be unpredictable and can change through the night.

“My prediction,” Armstrong said, “is that you’ll see some periods where are there are lineups, but we’re hopeful there won’t be and were working with CBSA to avoid what happened last (Wednesday) night. Delays are always a possibility.”

Armstrong said that with passenger volumes expected to be higher Thursday night than they were on Wednesday “we’re happy to hear” that CBSA has addressed staffing levels.

Something broke down Wednesday, but both Canada Border Services and the GTAA pin the blame on a convergence of flights landing at the same time.

“It just very simply didn’t go well, which is really unfortunately for the people that were caught up in it,” Armstrong said.

On Wednesday, even veteran travellers were shocked by the delays and the chaos that engulfed Pearson.

One person even suspected a terrorist threat was behind the delays.

And information was hard to come by as the conditions grew hotter and the noise levels grew.

Once released from a holding area, there were reports of frustrated passengers brushing past seniors, children and even a pregnant woman to get into line before them.

People toting carry-on bags even ran down escalators, nearly causing a panic.

“It was a recipe for disaster,” said Gila Martow, who had just arrived from a doctors’ conference in Phoenix.

Martow, who said she faced about a two-hour delay getting to her bags, said the majority of Customs booths were empty. She said there were six Customs agents in total: one for pilots and airline crew, another for people making connections and four for thousands of travellers.

“I have travelled a few times in the last few months and I have never seen so many vacant booths,” she said.

Her Air Canada plane landed on time at 7:30 p.m., but she didn’t get to the baggage area until 9:45 p.m.

About 40 minutes after she landed, Jennifer Page and her family were landing from Los Angeles at 8:10, also on time.

She got through to her baggage in “only” 90 minutes.

“It was very hot and there was no explanation, no communication,” she said. “I travel a lot and the only other time I saw something like this was in South America many years ago and it was a work-to-rule situation, so I felt like we were waiting in a Third World country again.”
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #1918
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

The Brazil government has reported that an Open Skies deal with Canada was signed on Feb 18, 2011....they are talking about it on airliners.net..

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5095155/

(includes link to govt PDF)

Don't know if this will result in any immediate increases at YYZ, but up to now AC was required to ask for special permission every year for their existing daily flights from YYZ to Sao Paulo...the old bilateral only allowed for 6 weekly flights, so an exemption was needed for the 7th flight....now they don't have to worry, and maybe we will eventually see flights to GIG..
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1919
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Can't say I've ever seen this happen before...

Article: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...n-tonight?bn=1

More delays expected at Pearson tonight, but maybe not as bad

yea never happend to me before, cbc was reporting that it had something to do with the March break rush.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1920
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

What's with a long lay over for Turkish? It comes in around 3-4pm and departs around midnight. I find that quite strange when you look at the other European airlines arriving in the morning, whereas TK arriving quite late in IST. What's the story on that one?
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto