daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #1921
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
The Brazil government has reported that an Open Skies deal with Canada was signed on Feb 18, 2011....they are talking about it on airliners.net..

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5095155/

(includes link to govt PDF)

Don't know if this will result in any immediate increases at YYZ, but up to now AC was required to ask for special permission every year for their existing daily flights from YYZ to Sao Paulo...the old bilateral only allowed for 6 weekly flights, so an exemption was needed for the 7th flight....now they don't have to worry, and maybe we will eventually see flights to GIG..
Would love to see flights to GIG again. I remember Canadian Airlines flying there years ago, same with Varig.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1922
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18198

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/527/5271501.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #1923
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Just a thought to put out there. Egyptair is starting service to YYZ in October. Recently the signed a code sharing with Ethopian for Cairo to Addis Abba. Do you think it is possible that they will code share with Egyptian on the YYZ to Cairo routo also?

By the way, Virgin Australia applied for a codeshare with Delta to Canada via the USA. It was recently approved.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #1924
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Just a thought to put out there. Egyptair is starting service to YYZ in October. Recently the signed a code sharing with Ethopian for Cairo to Addis Abba. Do you think it is possible that they will code share with Egyptian on the YYZ to Cairo routo also?

By the way, Virgin Australia applied for a codeshare with Delta to Canada via the USA. It was recently approved.
Did MS already confirm the October start-up? I know they were planning on starting before the end of the year but is this official now?
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #1925
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

I thought it got postponed indefinitely?
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #1926
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzomoe View Post
I thought it got postponed indefinitely?
The CEO of MS said that, due to the unrest (at least last month) in Egypt, that flight startups to both YYZ and IAD were being postponed till 'at least' the winter sked - i.e. end of October...

Can't blame them really....

edit/re ACT7's question regarding codesharing, I think that both MS and ET will operate with their own equipment to YYZ (both will be Terminal 1)...we should be hearing from Ethiopian very soon - they are waiting for delivery of their 5th and final 777 in July before they can begin
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #1927
Toronto_41

Quote:
The CEO of MS said that, due to the unrest (at least last month) in Egypt, that flight startups to both YYZ and IAD were being postponed till 'at least' the winter sked - i.e. end of October...

Can't blame them really....

edit/re ACT7's question regarding codesharing, I think that both MS and ET will operate with their own equipment to YYZ (both will be Terminal 1)...we should be hearing from Ethiopian very soon - they are waiting for delivery of their 5th and final 777 in July before they can begin
Thanks for the info. I was reading about the codeshare and thought it could be possible. Looking forward to see how things turn out.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #1928
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

oops, Toronto_41, that was actually your question, sorry about that...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1929
Toronto_41

Quote:
oops, Toronto_41, that was actually your question, sorry about that...
No biggie. Question was answered and that is what matters.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1930
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Can't say I've ever seen this happen before...

Article: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...n-tonight?bn=1

More delays expected at Pearson tonight, but maybe not as bad
Arrived back from PEK on Saturday... I was outside with my 4 pieces of checked luggage within an hour of landing.

While the situation that day was clearly unacceptable, people also have to understand it was a one-off situation. I'm sure whomever is responsible will be held accountable to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #1931
ACT7

Article: http://airlineroute.net/2011/03/28/ba-yyzcai-may11/

British Airways Cairo & Toronto aircraft swap from May 2011
From 01MAY11,

British Airways is swapping operational aircraft on London Heathrow – Cairo and London Heathrow – Toronto BA099/098 service.

Boeing 747-400 aircraft operating on Cairo service will be reassigned to Toronto, while 777-200ER to Toronto will be swapped to Cairo.

Schedule:

London Heathrow – Cairo
BA155 LHR1415 – 2055CAI 777 D
BA154 CAI0830 – 1125LHR 777 D 02MAY11-

London Heathrow – Toronto
BA093 LHR1200 – 1505YYZ 767 D
BA099 LHR1615 – 1855YYZ 744 D

BA092 YYZ1840 – 0655+1LHR 767 4
BA092 YYZ1850 – 0705+1LHR 767 x4
BA098 YYZ2045 – 0840+1LHR 744 D
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #1932
yyzhyd

Nice to see another B744 back at YYZ.
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #1933
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18198

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Nice to see another B744 back at YYZ.
Yay! My memories of a BA 747 flight from Toronto in 2004 :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #1934
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Cool pics. Btw I am thinking to do the trip to Syd, Australia, and this is what I want to know. Is it faster to get there with AC going via YVR or Taking United via LAX? I have been told there is a long layover in LAX for a connecting flight. I like AC planes better since they use the newer B772LR. Is it a long layover in Vancouver?
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #1935
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Cool pics. Btw I am thinking to do the trip to Syd, Australia, and this is what I want to know. Is it faster to get there with AC going via YVR or Taking United via LAX? I have been told there is a long layover in LAX for a connecting flight. I like AC planes better since they use the newer B772LR. Is it a long layover in Vancouver?
I'd recommend AC via YVR because UA's B744 hard product is mediocre at best. The layovers however are comparable.
Travelling via LAX will also necessitate clearing US Immigration & Customs and then a change of terminals on the return.

YYZ-YVR-SYD on AC033: Layover in YVR is 1hr 35min
YYZ-LAX-SYD on AC/UA: Layover in LAX is 2hr 11min
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1936
Toronto_41

COPA has received their license for Toronto Panama Toronto. Originally it was stating 3 per week but has been adjusted to 4. Wish them every bit of luck.

Agency Rulings
Decision No. 95-A-2011
March 29, 2011

APPLICATION by Compaņia Panameņa de Aviacion, S.A. carrying on business as Copa Airlines pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended.

File No. M4212/C636-4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compaņia Panameņa de Aviacion, S.A. carrying on business as Copa Airlines (Copa Airlines) has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) to amend Condition No. 1 of Licence No. 090125.

Condition No. 1 of the licence states:

The Licensee is authorized to operate a scheduled international service on the route Panama City/Toronto/Panama City, limited to three flights per week.

The Government of the Republic of Panama designated Copa Airlines to operate a scheduled international service on the route Panama City/Toronto/Panama City, limited to four flights per week.

The Agency is satisfied that Copa Airlines meets all the applicable requirements of subsection 69(1) of the Canada Transportation Act (CTA).

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the CTA, amends Condition No. 1 of the licence to read:

The Licensee is authorized to operate a scheduled international service on the route Panama City/Toronto/Panama City, limited to four flights per week.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Old March 31st, 2011, 06:54 AM   #1937
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
I'd recommend AC via YVR because UA's B744 hard product is mediocre at best. The layovers however are comparable.
Travelling via LAX will also necessitate clearing US Immigration & Customs and then a change of terminals on the return.

YYZ-YVR-SYD on AC033: Layover in YVR is 1hr 35min
YYZ-LAX-SYD on AC/UA: Layover in LAX is 2hr 11min
I did the YYZ-SYD on UA a few years back. There were 12 hour layovers in both directions. I routed through LAX to SYD and SFO to YYZ. At least it gives you some time to squeeze in some sightseeing if you wanted to. The outbound flight from SFO was also delayed almost 2 hours due to fog.

During my stop through LAX I thought the leg to SYD was treated as an international flight so I showed up at the airport 3 hours early. It took no more than 10 minutes to check in and clear security! Which of course meant I had nearly 3 hours to kill in the airport.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:34 AM   #1938
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I still think the option with AC is better. Going via LAX still comes to around $1700CAD including the tax. I looked at the expedia, and the only option that came close to AC was to get on AC to LAX and take Qantas flight. That would probably mean two sep-tickets whereas if I go with AC, I have to get just one ticket.(Just as any EU bound flight with a connecting flight). A part from that, looks as if Qantas uses 747 and AC 772LR. AC route seems better buck for my money. It still comes to $1700CAD if I go with AC.
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:28 PM   #1939
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I did the YYZ-SYD on UA a few years back. There were 12 hour layovers in both directions. I routed through LAX to SYD and SFO to YYZ. At least it gives you some time to squeeze in some sightseeing if you wanted to. The outbound flight from SFO was also delayed almost 2 hours due to fog.

During my stop through LAX I thought the leg to SYD was treated as an international flight so I showed up at the airport 3 hours early. It took no more than 10 minutes to check in and clear security! Which of course meant I had nearly 3 hours to kill in the airport.
UA doesn't fly YYZ-LAX non-stop only AC does 4x daily with UA codeshare.
To have a ~12hr layover in LAX you'd have to take the first flight ex-YYZ which arrives before Noon into Los Angeles. IIRC UA's SYD flight departs around 10-11PM.

But if you took AC's 6PM flight ex-YYZ you'd arrive in LAX around 8PM, giving you an approx. 2hr connection time.

I still would prefer the AC routing though.

YU-AMC,
Not sure what you mean by two tickets?
You'd have one ticket but due to US customs immigration formalities your luggage couldn't be checked through to YYZ from SYD on the way back. Shouldn't be a problem on the outbound as you'd be pre-cleared at Pearson.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:19 AM   #1940
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

This is what I meant, if you are booking with a different carrier, don't you need a separate boarding pass? One for AC and one for UA or Qantas...? Other than that, Yeah going via YVR with AC seems the best option so far.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto