daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #1961
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

It will interesting to see how things will go for Austrian when LOT get their new 787 and Alitalia their A330. Could there be any effect competition wise?
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #1962
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18149

Etihad Airways pushes for Pearson access
Toronto Star
June 03, 2011

The top executive of UAE-based Etihad Airways is making the case that the airline should get access to operate daily flights out of Pearson airport.

James Hogan, president and CEO of the airline based in the United Arab Emirates, has been visiting Ottawa and Toronto this week, arguing that it makes good business sense to boost air links between Canada and the Persian Gulf region.

Hogan’s message is simple, his Boeing 777 jets, with 28 business class seats and 384 economy seats, are about 80 per cent full when it flies three times a week direct to Abu Dhabi. For 40 per cent of travellers, Abu Dhabi, the UAE capital, is the final destination, while 60 per cent go on to other cities.

“We’ve been operating here since 2005, so I think we have demonstrated a commitment to Canada,” said Hogan in an interview Thursday. “It’s a good route for us. There’s certainly a demand for this service.”

But Hogan, who will address the Toronto Board of Trade on Friday, admits more access won’t happen overnight.

That’s because of an ongoing dispute over landing rights. Under the current bilateral agreement, Etihad Airways and Emirates Airlines, based out of Dubai, are allowed just six flights a week to Canada, currently split equally between the two.

Both airlines have been pressing for daily service into Toronto, and Emirates would like to fly into western cities like Vancouver and Calgary. Hogan said its first priority is daily access to Pearson, and would consider other markets at a later date.

Air Canada, backed by the federal Conservatives, has opposed such a move, fearing it would lose market share. Air Canada president and CEO Calin Rovinescu is on record, saying there is no need for any more capacity on that route based on current market conditions.

The dispute saw the Canada military booted from the Camp Mirage airbase near Dubai last year. And the UAE also fought back by slapping visa requirements on Canadian citizens.

Etihad believes its Abu Dhabi hub, which offers links to other cities in the Middle East and Asia, especially secondary cities in India, Pakistan as well as Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, is a huge selling point.

For those who fly on Air Canada, they usually go through Frankfurt and then travel on Lufthansa, or through London and then with British Airways, making for a longer trip with more connections.

“Bilateral agreements are a fact of life,” Hogan said, adding it has had challenges with other countries. “We’re in a global economy. I’m sure people will look for ways through the impasse.”

When Etihad started flying in Australia, there were concerns of the impact on Qantas Airways, he said, but now Etihad operates daily out of Melbourne, 11 times a week out of Sydney and three times a week out of Brisbane.

“We’ve created jobs in Australia. We stimulated the market, and brought more people inbound,” he said. “It does stimulate the market.”

The airline, which is owned by the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, is not subsidized and is expected to break even this year. He believes Etihad’s advantage is that it’s an upstart airline, only seven years old, with new equipment and no unions.

“That’s my secret weapon,” he said. “I’m flying one of the most modern and fuel efficient fleets in the world.”

While Hogan didn’t have any direct meetings with senior government officials, members of his team met with Transport Canada officials.

“We consider the market is underserviced (from a direct perspective),” he said. “We appreciate the opportunity we have today. We’d like to do more business.”

Hogan added he’s a patient man. “You have to have patience in business.”

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #1963
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Inaugural flight From Panama City to YYZ by COPA Airlines is tonight...first departure out of YYZ will be tomorrow morning...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #1964
Menandro
Old kid again on da block

Likes (Received): 4791

Ignorancia, nuestro peor enemigo...
Menandro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #1965
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

The more the better! Cheers!
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #1966
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Ethopian - According to ATWOnline:

Regarding ET's network, the carrier will launch its second North American destination when it starts Addis Ababa-Toronto Pearson flights in December.

Link: http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...ul-routes-0612

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #1967
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Air China - Could they be looking to fly to YYZ...

Quote: He admits to being unhappy with the continuing delays to the 787, owing to which the carrier is short of capacity on some international routes such as Beijing-Toronto.

Link: http://atwonline.com/airline-finance...-fortunes-0601

Asia, here I come!!!
J.
Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #1968
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Don't we have like six-seven flights to China already as it is? ... Is there anything leftover for Air China? Lets recap;

CX on a B777 X2
AC on a B777 X1
Hanian?
What about Beijing and Shangai?
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:10 AM   #1969
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Don't we have like six-seven flights to China already as it is? ... Is there anything leftover for Air China? Lets recap;

CX on a B777 X2
AC on a B777 X1
Hanian?
What about Beijing and Shangai?
AC has one daily non-stop flight each to PEK/PVG, plus one daily flight via YVR. Hainan flies three times a week to PEK. Not to mention the transfer traffic through Tokyo and Seoul. Judging by the extortionate prices and the sheer size of the market, it isn't enough. I just booked a flight from Shanghai to Toronto and by a huge margin the cheapest feasible option is Continential via Newark. EK via Dubai cost slightly more and was not worth the hassle.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:59 AM   #1970
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Does anyone know if Lindt closed at T3? It's not listed on the new airport website.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #1971
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

from airlineroute.net, Transaero will be upgrading their YYZ flights to 777 for the summer, effective tomorrow....

Transaero to start Boeing 777 service to Toronto Jun – Sep 2011

Transaero starting tomorrow (25JUN11) till 10SEP11 is operating Boeing 777-200ER aircraft service on its 2 weekly Moscow Domodedovo – Toronto route, replacing Boeing 767-300ER aircraft.

The Boeing 777 features 4-class of service, including Premium Economy.

Schedule:

UN517 DME1110 – 1325YYZ 772 36
UN518 YYZ1515 – 0845+1DME 772 36
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1972
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Aeroflot must be kicking themselves for cutting Toronto.

Last I heard they're actively scouting the market to make a return...
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #1973
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Hmm it's hard to say. I have a friend that flew with Transaero this spring. They used to be just one weekly rotation... What about now in the summer? Maybe 2-3? Also they came up with a newer ten year old B763 from flyglobespan.... The B777 is the former Singapore bird. On what days they serve YYZ as of now? I want to get a pic of that B777 for my Russian friend.
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #1974
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Hmmm did LH downgrade YYZ from an A340-600 to A340-300? I am sure they used to come with a 600 series one before. Btw my laptop is dead so I took the pics from my camera screen. I should have some better pictures soon.

Old June 30th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #1975
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

So I went to the airport to pick someone up, and besides paying for the parking, I parked at Wendy's and waited since the 16-35 arrival was moved for 17-15. Guess what, I snapped the pic right ater ten minutes of waiting. She arrived shart at 17-15 as flight tracker said. Transaero B777 for the next time I guess.
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #1976
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

I have always been a fan of the engines on the A340-2,3

They look like blow dryers.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:32 AM   #1977
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Hmm Yup the A340s seem nice. I noticed how better they do against the cross winds when you compare them to West Jet 737/ Air Canada A320..
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #1978
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Not really related to airlines at YYZ but since rebranding themselves, does anyone have any info regarding new retailers at the airport? Other than the istore...
As much as I love this airport, it's retail offering is an embarassment compared to airports even half the size. For example, YVR has a Lacoste, a Hermes and soon be opened Brooks Brothers and PGA Tour shop. Not only are their passenger numbers flat year over year but it strikes me as odd that airports the same size or much smaller than Pearson have such a wider range of food and retail.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1979
Silv3r
el tabador

Likes (Received): 13

Has anyone seen Sunwing 767 and A319 AirCanada in Trans Air Canada Livery?
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #1980
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

^Yup, they got two of them. They look okay.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto