daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #281
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...d-opening.html

Vandalism delays Eskisehir – Gebze high speed opening
27 May 2014

TURKEY: A series of vandalism incidents has delayed the opening of the next section of the 570 km Istanbul – Ankara high speed corridor, the Transport Ministry confirmed in a statement on May 26.

Opening of the next section of the line was expected in the first quarter of 2014, covering 188 km of new alignment between Eskişehir and Köseköy plus a further 56 km of upgraded conventional line from there to Gebze at the eastern edge of the Istanbul conurbation.

But the ministry reports that 200 sections of signalling and communications cabling have been cut or stolen, and 70 track circuits damaged, at 60 locations. ‘The rupture of cables and track circuits has directly affected certification processes. Therefore the inauguration of the line has been moved to June to avoid any malfunctions’, the statement said, noting that the cable damage ‘has gone beyond simply stealing and has become systematic sabotage’.

National operator TCDD hopes to offer a journey time of around 3 h between Ankara and Istanbul, although this is dependent on upgrading of the suburban corridor between Gebze and Haydarpaşa under the Marmaray programme. Here too, complexities relating to resignalling with CBTC with ETCS Level 1 overlay and triple-tracking on a confined alignment have led to delays, with lead contractor OHL confirming on May 27 that the surface sections between Gebze and Halkalı will not now reopen until June 2016, a year later than planned
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #282
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 27997

excuse for delay and 4 hour 12 minutes trip time.

K. Atatürk
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #283
krisu99

Likes (Received): 191

For the Google Earth addicted high speed infrastructure junkies:

I have crated a web page with google maps (Satellite and relief) shows the entire Turkish medium and high speed network, both under construction and in operation.

As a goodie I also included a very strange abandoned high speed line nobody knows about:
The Partial construction of the 75km (ca.) long “Sincan-Cayirhan” segment of the future Ankara-Istanbul line was started in 1975, but was then abandoned in 1980 after political powers in Ankara changed from left to right. An new alignment has been chosen (the current and longer one).
The abandoned line included some long tunnels up to 10km which where mostly bored (80%) and now fall into ruins. One tunnel on the western leg seems completely flooded by an artificial water bassin belonging to a mine complex!
The segments built are shown in pink color, yellow the tunnels. Zoom into the portal area of the tunnels to find some abandoned construction site equipment like narrow gauge decauville tracks amongst othes. In my eyes that is pretty crazy: To start construction of a modern expensive railway line along 75km and then decide to leave everything fall in ruin before beginning a new line somewhere else...

The Google Earth file is part of what I call "The Modern Long Distance Rail Infrastructure Project (MLRIP)", the idea is to have all new medium and high speed railway lines traced in Google Earth including its tunnels, stations and other infrastructure. Only lines that are built on completely new alignments are included, no upgrades of existing lines.

You'll find the railway maps page here here:
http://retrofutur.org/rail

You'll also find the KMZ of Spains ans Saudi Arabia High Speed Lines. Morokko, Algeria, Turkey, Israel, Italy and Austria are on the way.

Enjoy :-)

Edil Arda, lote88 liked this post

Last edited by krisu99; February 22nd, 2016 at 01:54 PM.
krisu99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #284
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Wouldn't it better to edit http://www.openrailwaymap.org/ ?
It's allow much mor cool stuff than a plain .kmz files.
-H. Kürsch, 2002

jonasry liked this post
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #285
ramakrishna1984

Likes (Received): 788

Six workers were injured when part of a building site on the new high-speed rail line collapsed in the north-western province of Sakarya, Turkey. Read More>>>
ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 02:53 PM   #286
Jeff Hawken

Likes (Received): 26

I am really puzzled as to what the level of service will be when the new high speed line opens between Eskisehir and Pendik. TCDD only has 12 HT65000 sets so I guess a maximum of 10 would be in use at any one time. You might add in the Siemens Velaro set as a spare. Assuming the Ankara - Konya service has to be maintained at its current level (at minimum) then that takes 3 sets to operate it. That leaves 7 to do Ankara - Eskisehir - Pendik (plus any Eskisehir - Konya trains that are thought necessary). To operate an hourly service with a 4-hour journey time you need 9 sets. Bring the journey time down to 3.5 hours and you can reduce the set requirement to 8 sets - but that is still more than you have available. So I guess there will have to be some sort of gap in the middle of the service where there is no train for 2 hours, or successive 90-minute intervals.

So when will somebody tell us what is planned? And will the night sleeper trains resume running to Pendik once the line is reopened, or will it be for the high speed services only?
Jeff Hawken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 09:43 PM   #287
krisu99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hawken View Post
... TCDD only has 12 HT65000 sets so I guess a maximum of 10 would be in use at any one time. ...

Interesting observation. Do classic long distance trainsets run ln the High Speed lines?
I don't know about the TCC Intercity Fleet. Are there traditional such trainsets able to run at 200km/h?
Then those trainsets could be used to fill the gap until the new Velaro series will be avable...
Old June 1st, 2014, 02:07 PM   #288
Jeff Hawken

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisu99 View Post
Interesting observation. Do classic long distance trainsets run ln the High Speed lines?
I don't know about the TCC Intercity Fleet. Are there traditional such trainsets able to run at 200km/h?
Then those trainsets could be used to fill the gap until the new Velaro series will be avable...
Neither the TCDD electric locos nor the TCDD hauled coaches can operate at 200 kph. I think the most modern coaches can do 160 kph, but none of the locos (diesel or electric) can manage that speed. Also the locos would need to be equipped with the ETCS signalling system to be able to use the high speed line. I don't know how many locos are equipped.
So a loco-hauled train would be significantly slower than the high-speed services - maybe even being overtaken by the following departure. Still, it might be the only answer.
The only other option would be for TCDD to hire the Ansaldo-Breda units which were built for Bruxelles - Amsterdam, but given the fact they were withdrawn because of unreliability, that would be a poor option.
Old June 1st, 2014, 05:41 PM   #289
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Neither the TCDD electric locos nor the TCDD hauled coaches can operate at 200 kph. I think the most modern coaches can do 160 kph, but none of the locos (diesel or electric) can manage that speed. Also the locos would need to be equipped with the ETCS signalling system to be able to use the high speed line. I don't know how many locos are equipped.
So a loco-hauled train would be significantly slower than the high-speed services - maybe even being overtaken by the following departure. Still, it might be the only answer.
The only other option would be for TCDD to hire the Ansaldo-Breda units which were built for Bruxelles - Amsterdam, but given the fact they were withdrawn because of unreliability, that would be a poor option.
TCDD has recently received a huge order of GM locos which should be able to do the trick. But the alternative option would be to have conventional trains run on the conventional line which still exists parallel to the new one.
A rumor has it though that because of remaining problems with the electricity grid and stolen cables TCDD would this month only introduce a conventional diesel-hauled semi-fast service (4.10 hrs) and delay the proper HSR opening for the near future. But as all official releases still insist that the 3.30 hr HSR run will begin soon, I hope that that is true.
TCDD tried but failed to lease additional train sets until its order from Siemens comes in. Therefore preliminary planning foresees only something like 8 departures per day and direction for the moment. There are doubts whether the foreseen service will be well received as the station Pendik is far from most of the city and for Turkish standards the price will be relatively high.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:06 PM   #290
Jeff Hawken

Thanks for the information Baron Hirsch. 8 trains per day should be achievable with the limited number of YHT sets available, especially if the departures are spread out over 12 hours or more.

I'm not sure what you mean by "TCDD has recently received a huge order of GM locos which should be able to do the trick." Do you mean the DE33000 class built by GM / Tulomsas 2003 - 2010 or the newer GE / Tulomsas "Powerhaul" DE37000 class? In both cases I think the maximum speed is 120 kph, although the European model Powerhaul locos are said to have the option of 160 kph.

If you do hear any more about the idea of running a diesel-hauled semi-fast service, please let me know. I would certainly want to travel on that!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:10 PM   #291
Giresun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
So is there any news when the YHT services to Pendik will start, and what services will operate? Will there also be loco-hauled services on the route from the same date?
11th July 2014 is opening of YHT Services between Pendik and Ankara.

Last edited by Giresun; July 2nd, 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Giresun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #292
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Accident during test run on Istanbul-Ankara line.

Darth Reg liked this post
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #293
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

It would be great if a direct route were to be built some day. Travel time could easily be 2 h between these two cities.

Of course this is a great advance too so congratulations!

Cadîr liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #294
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5733

Why does Erdogan put up with these political saboteurs who keep derailing the Turkey HSR project? If I were him, I would come down with a firm fist.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/hig...&NewsCatID=345
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #295
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Oh yes, that is what you do if you are in the AKP and you have not done your work properly, you always scream it's the others: evil foreign powers, the republicans, the PKK, the Fetullahcis, the Zionists, everywhere there is a conspiracy to bring down poor little AKP. Nobody ever thinks, well, maybe we should do our work better, give construction contracts not just to our political friends but to the most experienced companies, inaugurate major projects when they are ready and not when the next election is coming up. Unfortunately that is the state Turkey is in today and there are plenty of people ready to believe that some poor people stealing copper to make a living are the secret agents of evil forces...

Edil Arda, idoke liked this post
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #296
jonasry

Likes (Received): 147

Interesting they're using Haydarpaşa in showcasing the trains. I thought they would not stop there? Has things changed since the last decision not to run trains there?
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #297
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Great effort by Turkey, but I absolutely despise the way Erdogan exploits the project for personal gain.

Silly_Walks liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #298
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 27997

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasry View Post
Interesting they're using Haydarpaşa in showcasing the trains. I thought they would not stop there? Has things changed since the last decision not to run trains there?
few years ago during a protest, manager of Haydarpaşa Terminus told the protesters HSR will eventually come to Haydarpaşa.

Currently they are reconstructing all tracks and it'll probably take 2 years from now on; we'll see than.

K. Atatürk

jonasry liked this post
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #299
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucra View Post
The new addition to the country's high-speed network means 1,420km of track can now carry the faster trains.
That is not correct, it is half the amount, i.e. 710 km. As double tracks are fairly rare in Turkey, the government counts HSR double (since there are two tracks). This is however obviously misleading. If you want to check it yourself, see the official TCDD map (not yet updated, but red kilometer numbers are the official ones for HSR as it will be when Istanbul-Ankara is completely finished. http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/upload/Files/...TR-M-S-001.jpg Also some sections are still missing, but that is detail.

Edil Arda liked this post
Old July 30th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #300
krisu99

If one measures the now available tracks for higher speeds (200km/h and above) between Istanbul and Ankara, the result is around 400km. I measured this in by adding up the KML paths on the Turkey high speed map for google earth (see link in the footer below).

The leg that has been heavily reconstructed during the past years (where all rail traffic had to be shut down) from Istanbul to Izmit is not a high speed line, I doubt trains can go faster than 140/160km on most of the length. The high speed line to Ankara begins only approximately 150km east of Istanbul.

Adding the Polatli - Konya line with around 212km (measured higher speed part) this gives a total of roughly 612km of alignments ready for higher speeds!

Nevertheless, I feel the investments in modern railway lines in Turkey very positively, big efforts are being made.

BTW: Where is the current end of the new High Speed line Eskişehir - Sakarya?
When I look at google earth, I imagine trains for now leave the High speed line some 20km south of Sakarya? The line is not ready between Geyve and Sapanca (the gap around the "edge" south of Sapanca Lake: How will the line build there? A long tunnel taking the short-cut?).

If I am not wrong, the currently available high speed sections are the ones showed on the map. Red is the now opened high speed section (together with the "slower" approach to Istanbul not showed on the map), Green is ready for some years now. Tunnels are yellow!
Is that mostly correct?

image free hosting

Last edited by krisu99; July 30th, 2014 at 06:41 PM.