daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #381
Osmanlı fransız

Likes (Received): 29

So they are planning to build a new shopp... station in every city instead of using what they already have?
I wouldn't exchange gare du no rd gare saint lazare gare saint Charles by any of these monsters. Since turkey also have great railway buildings sad to let it fall into ruins instead of give it a new vitality in connecting it to the future.

Edil Arda, jonasry liked this post
Osmanlı fransız no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #382
krisu99

Likes (Received): 191

For those interested, I made available a google map showing new important railway lines U/C and in service in Turkey:

>> Turkey new railway lines map

You can zoom-in to nearly ground level to follow the works or switch between "aerial" and "relief" imagery views. Only new railway lines that are "really" under construction or in service are shown. From the "Turkey" main page (linked above) you can jump (zoom) directly to the railway lines listed in the "Changelog" section.

I'd be glad to you could report mistakes and also lines U/C I haven't "discovered" yet. Enjoy

Last edited by krisu99; November 8th, 2015 at 11:07 PM.
krisu99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #383
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

Why is construction of the line WNW out of Ankara abandoned?

Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #384
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 28327

basically due to shortage of money (at that time),
but, also,
it was planned very bad and tunnels are not suitable for HSR speeds.

There are some plans for that route and it will built someday in the future.

K. Atatürk

Spongabob liked this post
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #385
Jeff Hawken

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisu99 View Post
For those interested, I made available a google map showing new important railway lines U/C and in service in Turkey:

I'd be glad to you could report mistakes and also lines U/C I haven't "discovered" yet. Enjoy
One line you might care to add is the new Kayseri avoiding line, which runs from east of Bogazkopru, passes north of Kayseri airport, and rejoins the existing alignment a few kilometres east of Kayseri. The alignment is visible on Google Earth. To the best of my knowledge it has not been commissioned yet, although it has been visibly close to completion for several years.

krisu99 liked this post
Jeff Hawken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #386
SametJamet
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Ankara Highspeed Train Station U /C

Old November 16th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #387
krisu99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hawken View Post
One line you might care to add is the new Kayseri avoiding line, which runs from east of Bogazkopru, passes north of Kayseri airport, and rejoins the existing alignment a few kilometres east of Kayseri. The alignment is visible on Google Earth. To the best of my knowledge it has not been commissioned yet, although it has been visibly close to completion for several years.
Thank you Jeff for this interesting hint! I'll have the approx. 21km route added for the next map release.
I assume this is a freight only bypass? Since I can't make out any passenger station, and the line doesn't connect to the airport (It could have...but it seems to be an army facility only). On the other hand, the curve radii (around 4000m -> 300km/h) appear rather generous for a freight line...

Edit: More info about the line:
http://www.kolin.com.tr/english/proj...unication.html
Old November 16th, 2015, 01:25 AM   #388
krisu99

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
Why is construction of the line WNW out of Ankara abandoned?
The reasons could be poor strategic planning (the route would be very expensive to be completed towards the west due to difficult mountainous regions.
However, from what I was able to find out (unfortunately I do not read nor speak Turkish) the main reason for leaving this 2/3rd finished investment become useless is to be searched in politics, changing governments and personal vanities.

From my notes (not very structured & partly google translated from turkish :-) ):
Survey work started in 1943 , the construction in 1976 began, 8 km in length Ayas tunnel seven kilometer has been completed, Xinjiang from the Çayırhan the section between road-tunnels and structures most of the built though; comers to power in 1980 in rail transport of the "communist work is" (T.Özal) has stopped construction on the grounds.

However, construction of commenced in 1976 and the remaining half was bitirilebils project, 160 km from Ankara-Haydarpaşa would be narrowed down to 416 km.y

576 kilometers between Ankara-Istanbul railway was planned to be reduced by 160 kilometers to shortened 416 kilometers.

Thus, the journey time of 7.5 hours to 2.5 hours could. In 1977, the National Front's Deputy Prime Minister Necmettin Erbakan laid the foundation of the entrance. When Erbakan basis at 64 meter-long tunnel of 10 kilometers was saying that seven years to complete. September 12, 1980 during the military government after the Revolution, the construction of the tunnel was brought up several times. However, the expected rate of construction was going on.

MP came to power in 1983 the then Prime Minister Turgut Özal, "Railway is the work of communist countries" approach of the tunnel construction has stopped for a long time. Meanwhile, the Ankara-Istanbul highway construction began. After the end of the Istanbul-Ankara Motorway, the flare of the debate on speed railway construction Ayas Tunnel was remembered again. In 1987 it was decided to update studies of the unfinished 10km Ayas Tunnel. French, German, Italian, British and Belgian consisting of offers from European consortium was asked. Companies, for the realization of the project of Build-Operate-Transfer Model attractive, whether it can be realized with the supply of foreign loans said. Ayas Tunnel, Demirel came to power in 1991, took place on the agenda again. Demirel Government Appropriations construction activity has gained momentum with the tunnel. These efforts were not enough to finish the 10-kilometer tunnel. In total 10 km tunnel is about 80% finished, but during the investigations on the ground of inconsistency due to tunneling methods to be replaced, it also costs% in total around 4000 to increase due 22 government 29 transport minister old project was. However, in the intervening period 700 trillion for the construction of tunnels buried in the ground. According to rumors, official data nearly doubled, ie 1 billion dollars gone to waste money. Speed ​​rail project to be completed together with the amount of appropriations needed for the output to 13.5 quadrillion.
Remorse at the entrance of Ankara Ankara-Istanbul Speed ​​Rail Project stands as the most critical part of Ayas in the tunnel during the period until the AKP government budget each year with the 8 kilometer tunnel could be drilled. Could not complete the remaining two kilometers away. With the claim that the tunnel construction was halted on the fault line. Closing of the tunnel entrance, in front of the thermal power plant ash poured occurred at the entrance of the reservoir. Tunnels, bridges were used as barn.
37 years after the passage almost date that Ayas Tunnel and the Ankara-Istanbul Speed ​​Rail "disgrace" for the project, Transportation Minister Yıldırım on a fault line that project, "is not applicable" on the grounds stopped by explaining that, to finish the 10 billion dollars and 8 years are needed. It can not happen, "he said.
In 2010, TCDD General Director Süleyman Hero, accompanying the Chinese delegation to Ankara-Ayas-Beypazarı-Çayırhan line on expeditions, high-speed train project, the best route Xinjiang-Ayas-Beypazarı-Çayırhan is in the line and China between Turkey and railways in the area of ​​co-operation agreements were signed statement had. Heroes'' fast railway track made with new technology, we are investigating can not be done. Tunnels and viaducts technology has evolved technology. With the technology developed by the Chinese done? Our goal here at a faster via train from Istanbul to Ankara to drop 1.5 hours. Not only here, to Kars to revive the historic Silk Road Ministers of the two countries signed a protocol. Ayas-to-Beypazarı Çayırhan of its railway network observations have found. "He said.

Arifiye - Xinjiang Railway Project

Type of Work: Horseshoe section, double-track railway tunnel
Tunnel Diameter: (Shotcreted inner diameter) 9.60 m
Tunnel Length: 10.064 m
Tunnel Ayaş orally without further aspect the two opposite approaches an on-off type of the meter section 400 and this section and the remainder of the final coating with complete 8,000 meters. New Austrian Tunneling Method is built using the tunnel total of 1,200,000 m³ tunnel excavation, 2,600,000 m³ open excavation, 450,000 tons of shotcrete, 6,700 tons of steel shoring, 6,100 tons bolt, 1,500 tons of steel wire mesh with a 210,000 m³ B225 tunnel concrete manufacturing is located.

suasion liked this post

Last edited by krisu99; November 16th, 2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:05 PM   #389
Jeff Hawken

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisu99 View Post
Thank you Jeff for this interesting hint! I'll have the approx. 21km route added for the next map release.
I assume this is a freight only bypass? Since I can't make out any passenger station, and the line doesn't connect to the airport (It could have...but it seems to be an army facility only). On the other hand, the curve radii (around 4000m -> 300km/h) appear rather generous for a freight line...

Edit: More info about the line:
http://www.kolin.com.tr/english/proj...unication.html
Yes, it is a curious line. It appears to have been ready for traffic for some time, but I'm not sure it is yet officially part of the TCDD Network. As the article says it has been designed to high speed standards, yet the only traffic which would use it would be freight. (Why would passenger trains want to bypass the major regional centre of Kayseri?).
Jeff Hawken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 04:36 PM   #390
Edil Arda
The User

Due to AKP's urban politics

They love middle of nowhere stations, stadiums etc.

K. Atatürk
Old December 4th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #391
Dusko_BG

Likes (Received): 531

Could somebody tell me please what kind of work is on Gebze-Kosekoy section?
Is it new line building or old track renewal? Will it cut journey time between Pendik and Ankara once it's opened?
Dusko_BG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #392
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

It is track upgrading. I am not 100% sure, but I think the line is pretty much finished. Possibly the signaling system is not in place yet, which could account for the fact that trains move through here at 120 kmh, although the line was claimed to be capable of 160 kmh post-renewal. There is little more journey time reduction to be had on this part of the line. More important is Pendik-Gebze, where at the moment YHT trains do no more than 70 kmh, and Köseköy-Bilecik, where some major sections of HSR remain unfinished.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #393
Dusko_BG

Thanks for the info. Last month l traveled from Istanbul to Ankara in YHT
and l saw that there's high speed section from Izmit to place called Sapanca,
then train takes old line to (if l saw well on google maps) to Geyve zone where again
goes very fast towards Bilecik. In Geyve there's new line in construction on left side.
Is that section Geyve-Sapanca maybe? When it could be finished?
Old December 4th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #394
Edil Arda
The User

I guess a tunnel construction collapsed between Sapanca - Geyve.
They didn't restart the construction.

K. Atatürk
Old December 4th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #395
Dusko_BG

Tunnel collapsed during the construction on Bilecik-Bozuyuk section.

Last edited by Dusko_BG; December 4th, 2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old December 5th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #396
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

To my knowledge, from Sapanca, there should have been the shortcut to Dogancay, see http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/files/icerikresim/tcddharita.jpg The story goes his most noble highness the former prime minister visited the construction site, said, can't we make the line a little bit more straight? How much if we add another tunnel here? The head of railway gave a figure off the top of his head, and so this additional tunnel was taken to tender. They were shocked to find that the direct tunnel from Sapanca to Dogancay cost much more than what they had expected and cancelled the tender. Ever since, they have been replaning for a tunnel that will not prove quite as expensive. Will be a long time in the making.

Dusko_BG liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 02:20 AM   #397
krisu99

There is an amazing thing abount this approx. 8km short section Bilecik-Bozuyuk mentioned ny Dusko_BG above: The approx. 7.2 long tunnel has collapsed several times during construction time (started around 2009) which can be seen from aerial imagery as the land cover above the tunnel is rather thin. Tunnel collapses are not unusual in the business.

However, what is really astonishing here is that after some years of trying to fix the problem (starting around 2012) they decided to quickly build a temporary single track bypass along the other side of the valey, which itself was not cheap as it includes a 2,3km tunnel. The bypass is connected to the HSL via tight curves with approx. 200m (north) and 300m (south) radius, allowing for speeds of only 70km/h and 85km/h respectively.

You can zoom into the slow speed bypass section which is around half-way on Ankara-Istanbul High Speed Railway line here. Three blue pins show some craters above the collapsed HSL tunnels.
In those latest google earth imagey (currently dating from september 2015,) one can clearly see that the unlucky section is still without any tracks and the northern tunnel entrance has busy construction machinery around.

The whole thing must have entered in service in 2014, probably under heavy political pressure as the rest of the line (around 130km) was mostly ready. Those approx. 130km (Eskisehir - Sakarya HSL) runs through a high amount of (Chinese built?) tunnels and was surely the most expensive HSL section in Turkey so far. Some sections of the northern end of Eskisehir - Sakarya HSL are still under construction, some others have not hey started

BTW: Can anyone find the northern exit of this tunnel U/C? After 700 one can notice a lateral intermediate access, but then, where does this tunnel lead to? There must be an end by law of logic somewhere :o)

Dusko_BG, Sistemasmetroven liked this post

Last edited by krisu99; December 5th, 2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #398
Boppard

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarFType View Post
Ankara High Speed Train Station U /C

It is really nice. I hope it can be effective in usage.
Old January 13th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #399
Boppard

Likes (Received): 111

Does anyone know tottaly how many platforms will be built for both parts of the station?

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Boppard; January 13th, 2016 at 10:57 AM.
Boppard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #400
krisu99

Looks like this huge shopping center will get 4 platforms inside the building, plus two outside?
In railway terms this is a mini-station. I guess it serves a city with 40000 inhabitants or so. Where is it?