daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Old June 13th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #61
MWR

Likes (Received): 0

I don't think that's any kind of underlayment. It looks like finish face to me. And a particularly craptastic one at that.

I agree.
MWR no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old June 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #62
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 77

Why? Give a reason before you knock it (personally, I don't see anything wrong with it; it adds some surface texture to the building facade).
CHIsentinel no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #63
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

But shouldn't copper be copper-colored? This looks too light. Any chance there's some protective film that will be pulled off to reveal shiny copper panels?
Chiman no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #64
Chiman

Here's an enlargement (sorry about the grain). By the way, are those balcony railings waiting to be painted yellow, or just safety barricades?

image hosted on flickr
Chiman no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #65
MWR

I did not have a camera with me, but this morning I noticed that another material was starting to be placed over the yellow panels. It's a brown (maybe you call it copper) color with a "brick" design.

It's looks just as bad; if not awful.
MWR no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #66
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Quote:
Why? Give a reason before you knock it (personally, I don't see anything wrong with it; it adds some surface texture to the building facade).
I didn't think it was necessary to explain why - silly me... I assumed everyone on the forum had a fully functional set of eyes. Allow me to describe to you what I see: bloated-ass enlarged yellow 'bricks,' for lack of a better word. It's just some sort of horrible stone or faux-stone or whatever. It's a piece of shit and this is why I always had reservations about this tower.
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #67
Chiman

Here are some new shots showing the copper cladding. (That beige stuff must be some sort of backing.) I had hoped it would look more metallic. It is supposedly real copper that is coated so it won't develop a green patina. To me it looks like really big bricks or some sort of tile.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Chiman no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #68
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Hmmm.... it'll be interesting to see how the sun catches the copper. If it's as dull as it looks in those photos, then I'm not too happy about it.

Of course, I can always just go a couple blocks west and thank the gods that LR decided not to use painted concrete.
ardecila no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #69
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Hmmm.... it'll be interesting to see how the sun catches the copper. If it's as dull as it looks in those photos, then I'm not too happy about it.

Of course, I can always just go a couple blocks west and thank the gods that LR decided not to use painted concrete.
I recall when the Time-Life building using Cor-ten steel and copper-sheen glass resulted in rapid rusting and blinding glare. The virtue of Cor-ten, first used in the Picasso and later in the Civic Center, was its first acquiring a pleasant reddish-brown patina before the corrosion quickly stopped thus requiring little to no maintenance. For some reason it failed at the Time-Life building (a powerful building in its own right) where traces of its failure still stain the surrounding concrete. Successive chemical applications seem to have arrested further corrosion, and the glass has been toned down as well. Sometimes you had to use your visors when driving East toward the building.
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #70
MWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiman View Post
Here are some new shots showing the copper cladding. (That beige stuff must be some sort of backing.) I had hoped it would look more metallic. It is supposedly real copper that is coated so it won't develop a green patina. To me it looks like really big bricks or some sort of tile.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Atually, I think the green patina would be an improvement. The developer had a sample of this material on the outside near Peshtigo Street for several months. I never thought it would be used as siding for the building. I thought it was meant for the park.
MWR no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #71
Chiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
And the densification of Streeterville continues. Parkview West is located between Grand and Illinois at McClurg.

Early renderings from i_am_hydrogen show a shiny copper color that would have been nice. But maybe this dark color will look OK when they paint the porches yellow. It's hard to envision the whole effect -- there's a lot going on here.
Chiman no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #72
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 4

I kind of like it.
BorisMolotov no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #73
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

They're so full of shit! There's no way that's real copper!!! Even dull copper would have a sheen to it and some reflective quality - no matter how diffuse. Also, copper is an incredibly expensive material to skin a building in - I just don't see it happening in a very run-of-the-mill tower.
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #74
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 101

^Yeah, that definitely isn't copper.
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #75
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

I think they can design the park a little better. seems kinda boring
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:58 AM   #76
Retrograde
Chicago

June 12, 2007

June 20, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM   #77
NittanyBLUE2002
JoePa4Eva

Quote:
geoff: I didn't think it was necessary to explain why - silly me... I assumed everyone on the forum had a fully functional set of eyes. Allow me to describe to you what I see: bloated-ass enlarged yellow 'bricks,' for lack of a better word. It's just some sort of horrible stone or faux-stone or whatever. It's a piece of shit and this is why I always had reservations about this tower.
Quote:
geoff: They're so full of shit! There's no way that's real copper!!! Even dull copper would have a sheen to it and some reflective quality - no matter how diffuse. Also, copper is an incredibly expensive material to skin a building in - I just don't see it happening in a very run-of-the-mill tower.
Relax......
NittanyBLUE2002 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:50 PM   #78
MWR

What was McLean thinking????

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyBLUE2002 View Post
Relax......
MWR no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:29 AM   #79
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Relax!? Really? How worked up can I be sitting in front of a monitor tapping away on a keyboard. You do realize that I wasn't actually yelling those things as I was typing them, no?
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #80
Chiman

Been thinking about this building -- it's going to have a facade that's all glass and copper (or something) and not a bit of exposed concrete (painted or otherwise), even though it's poured-in-place concrete construction.

Interesting how they constructed the walls behind the psuedo-copper with cement blocks -- don't see why it won't work, and it must be cheaper or faster to build than using poured-in-place walls. Just seems unusual on a 40+ story tower.

image hosted on flickr
Chiman no está en línea