daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #181
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,610
Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Nope. Developer is still looking for financing.
In that case forget I said anything! Does this city have anything going on at the moment that doesn't look negative?? *other than the Staybridge Hotel, Park Lafayette, and North End*
brewcityfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #182
MilwaukeeD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 679
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Takes two to tango. They both need each other, understanding, of course, that the CEO's have their butt's on the line, while the politicians just don't get it.
yeah, but if ceo's saw the inherent value of a downtown location, the city wouldn't have to shell out $20 million for a company. BlueCross, Northwestern Mutual, GE, Kohl's, etc...I know that they have stockholders/investors to think about, but ultimately the location of their hq is their decision, not a politician's.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #183
MilwaukeeD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 679
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
In that case forget I said anything! Does this city have anything going on at the moment that doesn't look negative?? *other than the Staybridge Hotel, Park Lafayette, and North End*
Tons!
Manpower HQ is getting the "skin" put on.
First Place on the River and River Renaissance are really looking impressive.
Pabst work is set to begin later this month.
The Flatiron is moving along.
The UWM dorm on North as is going quickly.
Same with Columbia St. Mary's.
Convent Hill, the new Housing Authority building on Ogden is going up fast.
601 Lofts and University Club are almost complete.
CityGreen is getting close.
Harley Museum is well underway.
Amtrak remodeling is starting to be noticeable.
The Edge is suppossed to begin construction this spring.
The Hack Building is being cleaned for conversion into condos.

I could keep going. Of course there are dozens of proposals for projects that will continue to be fleshed out over the next few years.

edit: one other big one, Lakeshore State Park is opening in June.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #184
Skyking2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 499
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Nope. Developer is still looking for financing.
Spoilsport. Surely, BrewCityFan is assuming the best on the Renaissance project, but how do you know this to be a fact, Markitect?
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #185
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,610
Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
Tons!
Manpower HQ is getting the "skin" put on.
First Place on the River and River Renaissance are really looking impressive.
Pabst work is set to begin later this month.
The Flatiron is moving along.
The UWM dorm on North as is going quickly.
Same with Columbia St. Mary's.
Convent Hill, the new Housing Authority building on Ogden is going up fast.
601 Lofts and University Club are almost complete.
CityGreen is getting close.
Harley Museum is well underway.
Amtrak remodeling is starting to be noticeable.
The Edge is suppossed to begin construction this spring.
The Hack Building is being cleaned for conversion into condos.

I could keep going. Of course there are dozens of proposals for projects that will continue to be fleshed out over the next few years.
Thank you for rejuvenating me! With all the bad news coming in the past few hours of posts it didn't sound like anything was possible for this difficult city....and SkyKing is absolutely right, I always look for the best in EVERY development, and well, I thought from what the news was saying the Renassiance ClubSport was going to be built but only at 14 stories instead of the original 18 stories.....
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #186
Skyking2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 499
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
yeah, but if ceo's saw the inherent value of a downtown location, the city wouldn't have to shell out $20 million for a company. BlueCross, Northwestern Mutual, GE, Kohl's, etc...I know that they have stockholders/investors to think about, but ultimately the location of their hq is their decision, not a politician's.

Yes, understood, but the history of politicians and city leaders in this town is one of reaction - not pro-action. Not to compare Milwaukee to Chicago, but our big brother to the south has a long history of city leaders working with developers to get things done. The results speak for themselves...again, not to compare the two cities. But the concept is the same.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #187
Markitect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Spoilsport. Surely, BrewCityFan is assuming the best on the Renaissance project, but how do you know this to be a fact, Markitect?
Research...connections....keeping up with news...
Markitect no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #188
Skyking2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 499
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Research...connections....keeping up with news...
Kudos.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #189
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Last news I heard on the Clubsport project is that they were going to look to the city in the form of a TIF for help and try to break ground in March of this year.. Have they approached the city at all?
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #190
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Here is another version of the greenish building, labeled as Block 6/12 on www.eua.com


Honestly I like both versions, but this one looks a little more old Milwaukee than the other version.
That is such an amazing building.. definately would change the character of that section of town. What category on the website are the renderings under?
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #191
historybuffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 546
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Yes, understood, but the history of politicians and city leaders in this town is one of reaction - not pro-action. Not to compare Milwaukee to Chicago, but our big brother to the south has a long history of city leaders working with developers to get things done. The results speak for themselves...again, not to compare the two cities. But the concept is the same.
Chicago? It's called corruption or "The Daley Machine" take your pick. I remember the honorable mayor crying at a press conference as "one"(fall guy) of his staff was swept up
in the scandal of the condo. development property just west of Lake Shore Drive and the "Museum Campus." He cried for that loss of one cog behind bars.
Hey but the machine works even if a select few politicians profit from it.

The city looks much better tree wise from hosting that Democratic convention too, and covering the
southbound commuter lines trough and underground parking ramps with a Frank Gehry++ green space was quite a coup as well.

Last edited by historybuffer; January 11th, 2007 at 05:39 AM.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #192
historybuffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 546
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
That is such an amazing building.. definately would change the character of that section of town. What category on the website are the renderings under?
I like how the footprint orientation busts the grid.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #193
Markitect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320
What category on the website are the renderings under?
Eppstein Uhen Architects

Portfolio > Corporate & Industrial > Developer

The "Block 6 & 12" renderings were there this afternoon, but seem to have been removed since then.

Last edited by Markitect; January 11th, 2007 at 07:42 AM.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #194
Oshkosh49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 476
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Eppstein Uhen Architects

Portfolio > Corporate & Industrial > Developer

The "Block 6 & 12" renderings were there this afternoon, but seem to have been removed since then.
Well now, that is interesting. Why do you or anyone else suppose that Eppstein Uhen Architects did that?
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #195
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,610
Likes (Received): 214

Markitect - you put the U and A in the wrong spot on your weblink.

And maybe someone from EUA is on the forums here and didn't want to get our hopes up like every other decent/great/awesome project that's under development.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #196
Markitect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Last news I heard on the Clubsport project is that they were going to look to the city in the form of a TIF for help and try to break ground in March of this year.. Have they approached the city at all?
Yeah, they've approached the City regarding a TIF; but it hasn't gotten to the point of sending it to the Common Council for a vote yet. The developer has also been in the process of acquiring an existing small building on the site that would have to be demolished to make room for the proposed building.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #197
Oshkosh49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 476
Likes (Received): 2

HOLY CRAP! The current banner is of my hometown of Appleton, Wisconsin. Has the earth tilted off its axis??? Who submitted it? Don't worry, I'm not homesick!

Last edited by Oshkosh49; January 11th, 2007 at 08:33 AM.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #198
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,610
Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
HOLY CRAP! The current banner is of my hometown of Appleton, Wisconsin. Has the earth tilted off its axis??? Who sumitted it? Don't worry, I'm not homesick!
At least we know the SSC banner is open to ALL cities, big and small!
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #199
Oshkosh49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 476
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
At least we know the SSC banner is open to ALL cities, big and small!
That is evidently true, and for all the world to see. YEA! Sorry. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #200
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Yeah, they've approached the City regarding a TIF; but it hasn't gotten to the point of sending it to the Common Council for a vote yet. The developer has also been in the process of acquiring an existing small building on the site that would have to be demolished to make room for the proposed building.
I really wish they would get moving on it.. Although it isn't an incredible building it does seem to do well with merging the area between downtown and the third ward.
exit_320 no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu