daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1981
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

brew> Sorry if that came off too negative, it wasn't meant to be. But my point was that recruiting branch offices is essentially not a job creator.

Milwaukee needs to support the rise of new businesses through supporting the growth of UWM (especially those two new research campuses), though they should probably be in the Park East lands or on the East Side and not in the country grounds. Supporting a growing UWM could lead to new spin off companies like Madison sees regularly in the stem cell area, UWM could potential see nanotech spinoffs companies as well as other areas if pushed to grow. Further growing the school on the East Side would help just what you point out about getting kids to stay once graduating as 2/3 of college graduates want to live in an area much like they went to school in so simply growing the school would help.

And there are plenty of other ways other than TIFS (MEDC loans for one)

As far as Manpower I don't like paying for a garage but it was good for the city to move them here, not because that move will create new jobs, but because it encourages more people to live in the city. And now we know Manpower will be in Milwaukee for a long long time. (they could of moved anywhere in the world).
Twoaday no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #1982
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77 View Post
what happened with the ghazi proposal? i was in milwaukee to do, and although it would elimate that lovely courthouse shot... we NEED a tall building there! it would add a lot of density and "bigness" to downtown.
Eliminate that lovely Courthouse shot? I'm not sure what sort of view you're referring to, but the Ghazi proposal site on Wisconsin Ave. is not any where near the Courthouse -- probably some six blocks away to the NW. It will definitely shield the view of the Hilton from the east -- originally its main entrance, and I believe it still is. That would be a little unfortunate, as I think that view of the Hilton is somewhat overlooked as a nice example of Art Deco in Milwaukee.
But, I agree that a 25+ story building there would look nice. Hopefully, the demand for condos there allows Ghazi to build accordingly...even to its originally-proposed 32-story height.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #1983
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Eliminate that lovely Courthouse shot? I'm not sure what sort of view you're referring to, but the Ghazi proposal site on Wisconsin Ave. is not any where near the Courthouse -- probably some six blocks away to the NW. It will definitely shield the view of the Hilton from the east -- originally its main entrance, and I believe it still is. That would be a little unfortunate, as I think that view of the Hilton is somewhat overlooked as a nice example of Art Deco in Milwaukee.
But, I agree that a 25+ story building there would look nice. Hopefully, the demand for condos there allows Ghazi to build accordingly...even to its originally-proposed 32-story height.
Speaking of the Hilton when will they take down that God-awful TV antenna!? It just makes Milwaukee so very "rust-belt" to me.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1984
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
The new development courtesy of JSOnline...
So any updates on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
I love this angle.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #1985
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Speaking of the Hilton when will they take down that God-awful TV antenna!? It just makes Milwaukee so very "rust-belt" to me.
Holy crap. I hate that antenna too. It's like hi, we're stuck in the 70s. See? Check out this super radical red and white mess of steel on top of our ugly tall building!
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #1986
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernIL Mike View Post
So any updates on this?
check item 4 on the Redevelopment Authority agenda: http://www.mkedcd.org/RACM/racmagenda.pdf
MilwaukeeD no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #1987
sweethomemke

Don't know if anyone caught this piece by Whitney Gould in the Journal yesterday. Kind of interesting.

For towers, good design is high priority
Posted: July 15, 2007
Spaces
Whitney Gould

Suburbs spread out. Cities, where buildable land is at a premium, go vertical.

But where planners and developers see taller buildings and density as signs of urban vitality - expanded tax base, cultural diversity, a market for new restaurants and shops - others detect threats to neighborhood character. Witness the fights over redevelopment projects on the east side, on Commerce St., in Shorewood, Whitefish Bay and Brewers Hill.

The latest flap centers on the proposed Rivianna condo and hotel project in the Fifth Ward, which won conceptual approval for its height, massing and density from the Common Council last week. Developer Robert Schultz, who is also his own architect, envisioned three 175-foot towers - each 15 stories, plus parking and penthouses - overlooking the Milwaukee River at S. Water and E. Pittsburgh streets.

The three-quarter-acre site, long used for boat storage, is now a patch of asphalt in the Fifth Ward, just across the water from the booming Third Ward. As development has galloped south, it was only a matter of time before this prime parcel sprouted buildings. But growth is coming before the Fifth Ward, unlike the Third, has even created design guidelines; the city's own comprehensive plan for the area won't be ready until next year.

And now critics, many of them in the Third Ward, have been raising alarms about blocked views and about the Rivianna's height - more than twice what the current zoning allows. Those concerns are understandable but not persuasive. The real problem with this project is its lackluster design, which I'll get to in a minute.

Rivianna

The view issue. Almost any new building in a dense city is going to impinge on someone's view. While good planning can help maximize sightlines here and there, as it has on Commerce St., it can't protect all of them. As developer Bob Monnat of the Mandel Group notes: "When people buy from us we tell them, 'You don't buy your view. We only own what we're selling you.' "

And at street level, short, squat buildings can obscure vistas more than tall, thin buildings do. There are several examples along the river, all of them blocking water views, including Schultz's own River Renaissance condos at Water and Erie streets.

Yes, an ungainly tall building can also be an insult. But a beautiful, sculptural tower with an inviting street presence can reduce the shadows that would be cast by chunkier buildings and raise the bar for everything that follows. An emerging example is Santiago Calatrava's soaring Chicago Spire, shaped like a twisting birthday candle.

Schultz's towers, alas, are anything but sculptural. His concept drawings depict three identical, blocky buildings with precast sections that taper upward, ziggurat style, in a way that looks pasted on. There's a three-story, plinth-like base, incorporating a garage, that's not as high as in the original design but still deadening.

Schultz told me he's now rethinking the whole design, with an eye toward making it "more airy and light," and possibly moving to a single, slender, higher tower, although he fears his critics would "burn me at the stake" if he goes taller.

Maybe not, if the building were drop-dead gorgeous. My suggestion to Schultz, a well-intentioned guy who commendably wants his project to include some affordable units, jobs for minorities and "green" features, is that he stop trying to be both architect and developer; this is too often a recipe for cutting corners on design. Let him hire stellar architects capable of creating something so stunning and shapely that it blows people away.

Yes, there will always be those who object to anything new, especially if it's tall. But the not-in-my-backyard crowd is its own worst enemy, marginalized by transparently self-serving arguments. The people whom developers like Bob Schultz need to win over are the more thoughtful newcomers to the downtown who simply want assurances that the buildings constructed nearby will be gracefully designed and built to last.

I'm thinking here of people like Mary Hertel, a Mequon resident who with her husband bought a pied- ā-terre at the Mandel Group's elegant Marine Terminal, across the river from the Rivianna site.

Hertel isn't sure about a taller, thinner building there. But she sounds open to persuasion.

"We don't object to density at all," she told me.

"We love all the activity it brings. But I'm concerned that without good planning, without really great design, we could hurt the Fifth Ward, which has the potential to be one of our crown jewels."

In polishing this and other diamonds in the rough, we need to get over our fear of heights and remember that design matters, period.

On the Web www.rivianna.com E-mail to [email protected] or call (414) 224-2358
sweethomemke no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #1988
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Holy crap. I hate that antenna too. It's like hi, we're stuck in the 70s. See? Check out this super radical red and white mess of steel on top of our ugly tall building!
Amen!! Perhaps we should write a letter to Mr. Marcus, or the FCC, or SOMEBODY, to take the ugly ass thing down NOW!!!
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #1989
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Amen!! Perhaps we should write a letter to Mr. Marcus, or the FCC, or SOMEBODY, to take the ugly ass thing down NOW!!!
C'mon kids, take it easy. That antenna is not there just to piss you off...although, it sure seems to be working! You know that there's revenue associated with that antenna, unsightly though it may be, right? Who the renter is, I'm not really sure. Perhaps someone in the audience has the answer to that.

BTW, in a simialr vein, how dated is that revolving sign on top of the 633 Building (that white honker on Wisconsin Ave. one block west of The Hilton --previously known as "The Clark Building")? I think Miller still has the ad on top...I'm sure there's decent revenue there as well for the owner. Perehaps someone could start a thread about those things that you'd like to see removed or changed in Milwaukee's skyline...
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #1990
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

TheNorthEnd.com

Has anyone seen the new website for the North End by Mandel? It allows you to detonate the Warehouse on the current development site (via Macromedia Flash).
EastSider no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #1991
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

JSonline Newswatch

TUESDAY, July 17, 2007, 12:41 p.m.
By Steve Schultze

Effort to save Coast Guard station fails

The historically significant but decrepit former Coast Guard station on the lakefront faces demolition as early as next spring, after a fund-raising effort to save the structure failed, Milwaukee County Parks Director Sue Black said today.

Loonsfoot, an American Indian group attempting to raise money for a restoration of the 92-year-old structure, failed to meet a July 1, last-chance deadline for securing at least $1.2 million toward the $3.5 million project, Black said.

The group has had more than two years to raise the money and was given an extension by the County Board in March. Loonsfoot co-executive director Jim DeNomie in March claimed $2 million in pledges toward the restoration. But he failed to provide documentation that he had solid commitments of any funding, Black said in an interview.

Loonsfoot also failed to contact the county regarding the deadline for raising the first $1.2 million, Black wrote in a July 11 letter to DeNomie.

"Since we have not heard from you we will assume that Loonsfoot does not have the financial ability to undertake this project," Black wrote. "It is unfortunate that your vision for the use of this building could not reach fruition."

Loonsfoot had proposed converting the Coast Guard Station at 1600 N. Lincoln Memorial Drive to a Great Lakes Indian education and cultural center.

DeNomie couldn't be reached for comment.

Loonsfoot was selected among several groups interested in restoring the building, which is considered a rare surviving example of Prairie-style architecture applied to a marine building.

Black said county officials weren't interested in building a replica of the station, an idea DeNomie had suggested as a less expensive alternative to a restoration.

The county Parks Department is proposing the station be torn down in 2008 and replaced with a picnic pavilion at the site at a cost of $380,000. The department also wants to replace the battered sea wall adjacent to the Coast Guard Station next year at a cost of $1.1 million.

A plaque commemorating the station and its history would be erected at the site.

JS ONLINE
EastSider no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #1992
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
C'mon kids, take it easy. That antenna is not there just to piss you off...although, it sure seems to be working! You know that there's revenue associated with that antenna, unsightly though it may be, right? Who the renter is, I'm not really sure. Perhaps someone in the audience has the answer to that.

BTW, in a simialr vein, how dated is that revolving sign on top of the 633 Building (that white honker on Wisconsin Ave. one block west of The Hilton --previously known as "The Clark Building")? I think Miller still has the ad on top...I'm sure there's decent revenue there as well for the owner. Perehaps someone could start a thread about those things that you'd like to see removed or changed in Milwaukee's skyline...
Oh c'mon King, you can't be serious! Do you want that ugliness kept up there because it generates revenue?? Very unexpected of you.....

Yes, and the Miller sign needs to go too. Perhaps if they did something like they did along the Kennedy in Chicago, it would look better.
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #1993
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
OOH!! Finally. We could shift the antenna one block East and build a CN-Tower type radio/observation tower. With Hard Rock and all that touristy crap at the base (accross the street from the convention center). It'd be perfect.
A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.
ajknee no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #1994
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknee View Post
OOH!! Finally. We could shift the antenna one block East and build a CN-Tower type radio/observation tower. With Hard Rock and all that touristy crap at the base (accross the street from the convention center). It'd be perfect.
In that case, there goes the whole Ghazi proposal!!!
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #1995
MJinOshkosh

Likes (Received): 45

Brewcity, I think the truth of the matter with the antenna on top of the Hilton is... If it generates a positive cash flow ( being rented out by a radio or television station) the antenna is going to stay on top of the Hilton.
MJinOshkosh no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1996
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinOshkosh View Post
Brewcity, I think the truth of the matter with the antenna on top of the Hilton is... If it generates a positive cash flow ( being rented out by a radio or television station) the antenna is going to stay on top of the Hilton.
How depressing.....
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #1997
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
In that case, there goes the whole Ghazi proposal!!!
I'm fine with that, if we get a noteworthy observation tower out of the deal. Besides Ghazi Version 2 looks like crap if you ask me. I'd much rather have the original design.
A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.
ajknee no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #1998
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinOshkosh View Post
Yes, that is my point...however unsightly it may be. Truth be told, even though that antenna has been around forever, I'd just as soon see it gone. But, money talks.
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #1999
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknee View Post
I'm fine with that, if we get a noteworthy observation tower out of the deal. Besides Ghazi Version 2 looks like crap if you ask me. I'd much rather have the original design.
Where the hell is this going?! Why are we wasting good "ink and paper" even discussing an observation tower?!! Jeeeez.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2000
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

It is time for Milwaukee to move forward on transit.
http://www.city.milwaukee.gov//displ...493&&_nwsard=1
Twoaday no está en línea  

Closed Thread