daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 12th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #221
MilwaukeeBS
I left cold for roaches

Likes (Received): 4

The way I see it is that AirTran is Walmart. Some people will go the cheapest route but others see the costs associated with the lower price. I think most people in Milwaukee or at least those I have talked to see these costs with Airtran. People in this city and state have a way of going against the grain.

However, I realize that it will come down to a business decision and there is a very good chance AirTran will win out. I just hope the backlash is severe, I plan to boycott if AirTran doesn't keep every one of its 'promises' (which everyone knows they will not). If anyone wants a perfect example of how these things play out, talk to someone from Wausau about Wausau Insurance/Liberty Mutual and about how quickly promises can be broken.
MilwaukeeBS no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #222
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

AirTrans

AirTrans is bad for Milwaukee because Midwest is such a great airline. It's just that simple. When I travel I don't even look at travelocity until I've determined if I can take Midwest or not.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #223
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

I would hate to see Midwest Airlines go the way of the Dodo bird. Not only because of excellent service and reputation, but mainly because Midwest Airlines has been a good home-grown corporate citizen in the community. And at this point, metro Milwaukee can't afford to lose another corporation from its ranks, IMHO.

And another thing that I'd like to throw out there. If Milwaukee was just another 50 or 60 miles further away from Chicago than it is now, AirTrash wouldn't be the least bit interested in Midwest Airlines. AirTrash wants to tap into the northern Illinois market via Mitchell International because all the landing slots at O'Hare are taken.

In fact that raises a good question I think. Instead of trying to buy out Midwest Airlines, why don't they increase their flight service in and out of Mitchell in the first place? Maybe it's because they can't compete against Midwest in the Milwaukee market right now? So their strategy is: "If we can't beat 'em, we'll buy 'em."
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #224
Milwaukee, WY
Front Range expatriate

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
I would hate to see Midwest Airlines go the way of the Dodo bird. Not only because of excellent service and reputation, but mainly because Midwest Airlines has been a good home-grown corporate citizen in the community. And at this point, metro Milwaukee can't afford to lose another corporation from its ranks, IMHO.

And another thing that I'd like to throw out there. If Milwaukee was just another 50 or 60 miles further away from Chicago than it is now, AirTrash wouldn't be the least bit interested in Midwest Airlines. AirTrash wants to tap into the northern Illinois market via Mitchell International because all the landing slots at O'Hare are taken.

In fact that raises a good question I think. Instead of trying to buy out Midwest Airlines, why don't they increase their flight service in and out of Mitchell in the first place? Maybe it's because they can't compete against Midwest in the Milwaukee market right now? So their strategy is: "If we can't beat 'em, we'll buy 'em."

Yeah, as I think someone else mentioned on here a while back, its like Kmart trying to buy out Nordstrom. It's ludicrous!
Milwaukee, WY no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #225
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post
Yeah, as I think someone else mentioned on here a while back, its like Kmart trying to buy out Nordstrom. It's ludicrous!
*shudders*

good god! don't even speak of such travesties
D-res no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #226
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post
Or Macy's replacing Marshall Fields... oh wait...
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #227
djcody

Likes (Received): 0

yea i agree i can do away with that bulky extention of the building... how about we take that square footage from the side and put it on TOP of the building... woo hoo that make it taller!
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #228
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

A quote from one of the major investors in Midwest, from the SBT:

In essence, the future of Milwaukee's hometown airline may now be out its own hands. Institutional investors, who would have no sentimental attachment or loyalty to the well-being of the Milwaukee region, own 42 percent of Midwest Air Group's shares and will make the judgment of whether to sell their shares on the financial merits of AirTran's offer.
One of those institutional investors is Al Frank Asset Management, a Laguna Beach, Calif.-based company that owns 244,700 shares of Midwest stock.
Chris Armbruster, research analyst at Al Frank Asset Management, says his company wants a higher offer for its Midwest stock.
"We are not looking to sell our shares at these levels," Armbruster said. "We don’t think this is a deal Midwest has to accept. Midwest can definitely continue to successfully operate the airline on its own … We are OK with letting (Midwest) management make that decision. If it is through independent operations, we support their decision. If they think that combining with AirTran is a good decision, then we are OK with that. We think fair market value would be $15 per share, given current information,"

It's part of a bigger article that highlights business opposition to AirTran CEO Joe Leonard's letters to various CEOs in the Milwaukee area, which can be found here: http://www.biztimes.com/daily/2007/1...res-opposition
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #229
Oshkosh49

Well I guess we'll have to wait until February 7th or 8th to see how this all plays itself out. Frankly, I don't think the CEO of AirTrash is doing himself any good by bashing the management team of Wisconsin's favorite airline. The article states that 42% of the stock is owned by institutional investors. That does leave 58% majority in the hands of individual investors, whom I suspect are pretty loyal to Midwest Airlines. On TMJ4 tonight they had a story of a local guy who is trying to rally support within the community to keep Midwest Airlines independent. He was spending his own money to get a bunch of lawn signs made up saying NO to the hostile takeover. He even received donated help from a local printing business in Milwaukee who printed out thousands of business cards for the guy to pass out to people.
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #230
brewcityfan

I have to give one last quote, just because I get a kick out of this one. This was sent to TMJ4 online:

"If I were a stockholder for Midwest Express I'd buckle my seatbelt for a bumpy ride. The way AirTran is approaching both Midwest and Milwaukee in general, is a sure indication of the way they conduct business, and I don't think any Midwest Stockholder should give into this form of business bullying. Let's offer AirTran a chocolate chip cookie and show them the door!" - P.H.

The website Oshkosh49 is talking about is www.wilovesmidwestairlines.com

Last edited by brewcityfan; January 12th, 2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #231
neuhickman

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I have to give one last quote, just because I get a kick out of this one. This was sent to TMJ4 online:

"If I were a stockholder for Midwest Express I'd buckle my seatbelt for a bumpy ride. The way AirTran is approaching both Midwest and Milwaukee in general, is a sure indication of the way they conduct business, and I don't think any Midwest Stockholder should give into this form of business bullying. Let's offer AirTran a chocolate chip cookie and show them the door!" - P.H.
Although I am no longer a fan of Wisconsin, I am a huge supporter of Midwest Airlines and I think this should be the new slogan for the anti-AirTran folks! "Give them a cookie and show them the door!"

Old January 12th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #232
Oshkosh49

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman View Post
Although I am no longer a fan of Wisconsin, I am a huge supporter of Midwest Airlines and I think this should be the new slogan for the anti-AirTran folks! "Give them a cookie and show them the door!"
At 30,000 feet of course.
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #233
UWMilwaukeeJay

.....Its not going to happen anyways. I just think its funny how everyone is so one sided on the issue. But if it just so happens, you will all be suprised at the outcome.

YOU MEAN THE 90 DOLLAR COOKIE! i prefer the 90 dollars to spend in town.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #234
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay View Post
.....Its not going to happen anyways. I just think its funny how everyone is so one sided on the issue. But if it just so happens, you will all be suprised at the outcome.

YOU MEAN THE 90 DOLLAR COOKIE! i prefer the 90 dollars to spend in town.
Well that's what happens when a company treats its customers extremely well, and its community with great honor. And I'd give Midwest 90 dollars over anything else at the moment, they need all the support they can get.
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #235
Oshkosh49

I'd rather pay $90 to fly Midwest verses a free flight on AirTrash. And I damn well mean that, seriously.
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #236
UWMilwaukeeJay

thats disrespectful. How is airtran trash? Wow you must have COMPLETE inferior problems to this airtran. I have been on airtran and midwest so many times. Airtran's business class is the same thing as Midwest coach. Midwest is a better quality airline, but to call airtran "trash" is quite sad. It gives the oppurtunity for people to fly and save money. I have never found any trash on airtrans flights, the flight attendent's may be underpaid, but I have never had any problems with them. The bathrooms always clean AND! AIRTRAN HAS NEWER PLANES than midwest. There fleet is the newest in the airline industry. How is that trash?
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #237
Oshkosh49

You're entitled to your opinion, and guess what, so am I.
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #238
UWMilwaukeeJay

point taken. i like midwest in some aspects. It was an amazing comeback after the 9/11 fall out
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #239
Oshkosh49

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay View Post
point taken. i like midwest in some aspects. It was an amazing comeback after the 9/11 fall out
Not to forget the extremely high fuel costs as well. And that goes for the whole airline industry.
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #240
brewcityfan

Well I think I'll just make sure to buy UWMJay some green and white pom pons, and to make sure never to call AirTran "AirTrash". They have a decent low-cost operation at Mitchell but this merger is simply to grab more planes, and to grab Mitchell from us and to make it more-so Chicago's "Third Airport".

While that's not a bad thing, because it sort of is, if it fails to gain more travelers they'll dump it back on us and we're stuck back at square one, now without an airline that we can say is ours.

And if it does work, sorry UWMJay but I'll still hope that the Tribune article I posted a few weeks ago comes true, and JetBlue adds Milwaukee to their service. I'll fly them if Midwest is gone.

Closed Thread