daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:46 AM   #301
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Convent Hill

Well this building probably didn't get covered much as it's subsidized housing for seniors. That said it does display a couple of good urban features.

1. It will have some first floor retail, to help activate the street.
2. The building itself has been moved from "Towers in the Park" type design to bordering the street like a urban building should!

PS Not to mention the old building was literally falling appart, it had nets on it to catch the falling bricks.

PSS I'll note seniors are an important part of our community too folks!
Twoaday no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:47 AM   #302
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
seniors are an important part of our community too folks!
you lie.

jk
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:06 AM   #303
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
I guess the only developments that are important are those catering/housing young white people.
Um... we talked about it... I'm sure most of us, like myself, noticed and appreciated it... but there just wasn't much news once we brought it up that time.

And don't "read: tha projects" because its not.
Coldwake no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:08 AM   #304
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

The Covent Hill project looks nice. It'll be a great change for that area.

Does anyone know what ever happened to the $91 million that was to be spent on the Connector project? Their website hasn't been updated since before Barrett vetoed the city's approval of the project and Milwaukee County hasn't really announced any plans to use the money towards improvements in the busses.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:16 AM   #305
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn
Does anyone know what ever happened to the $91 million that was to be spent on the Connector project? Their website hasn't been updated since before Barrett vetoed the city's approval of the project and Milwaukee County hasn't really announced any plans to use the money towards improvements in the busses.
Nothing has happened to that money. It is sitting there, waiting to be used for something...for what has not been determined yet.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:20 AM   #306
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Nothing has happened to that money. It is sitting there, waiting to be used for something...for what has not been determined yet.
Why don't they put the $91 million toward the KRM Commuter project? Or, are the Connector and the KRM one the same? I think they're two different projects aren't they?
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:36 AM   #307
Markitect

The KRM Commuter Link and the Milwaukee Connector are two separate projects--one is regional commuter rail, the other is a localized transit line.

Using the money for the KRM project has been discussed before, but there had been some political disagreements over exactly what the Federal money can and cannot be used for. And in order for the money to be used for anything, the Feds require that everyone come to an agreement on how it should be spent. So it's kind of in limbo right now.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:39 AM   #308
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
Why don't they put the $91 million toward the KRM Commuter project? Or, are the Connector and the KRM one the same? I think they're two different projects aren't they?
They're two different projects. The problem with putting the $91 million towards the KRM project is that it is "capital funding", money that is meant to be spent on an expansion of physical facilities (vehicles, stations, etc). Without any way of obtaining the rest of the money needed to build and operate the line (now that they won't go after a sales tax), it would more or less end up being wasted on a half finished rail line to nowhere (kinda like another major public works project here from the 70's...huh) devoid of service. At least with MCTS, the money could be spent on (desperately needed) new busses and bus shelters/stations that could be used for existing routes. The saddest part of all of this is that it was originally almost $300 million that Milwaukee lost because it didn't come up with a serious plan to spend it on. $300 million would cover the entire capital cost of the KRM project or at least buy a lot more nice new busses.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:07 AM   #309
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks for the explaination. But boy, what a sad commentary on local politics when their bickering causes the community to lose $300 million in Federal funds.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:27 AM   #310
Markitect

It wasn't all quite "lost" exactly...mostly just divided up for other local transportation projects, though non-public transit projects. Here's the timeline/breakdown:

1991: $289 million from Congress to build a bus-only highway in Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties.

1993: Busway proposal scrapped due to opposition form West Side and West Allis residents.

$48 million was lost trying to protect other states from raiding the money. This leaves $241 million left over in a new agreement to be used for some future public transportation project.

1997: East-West Corridor Study recommends using the $241 million to build a various combination of light rail, a widened I-94 with or without bus/carpool lanes. Opposition from both sides kills the proposal.

1999: Deal between Gov. Thompson, County Exec Ament, and Mayor Norquist divided up the $241 million for various transportation projects. $149.5 million used for: Marquette Interchange reconstruction, rebuilt 6th Street Viaduct, demolition and street improvements in Park East codrridor, building lakefront walkway at Summerfest Grounds. This leaves $91.5 million earmarked for a future mass transit project.

Since then, it has been suggested the $91.5 million be used for a few different things: implementing whatever the results of the Milwaukee Connector Study recommends, buying regular buses for the MCTS fleet, a light rail line through Valley/Downtown/Third Ward/Lakefront, or using it to extend the KRM commuter line through the inner city (Menomonee Valley/30th Street industrial corridor).

There is also a stipulation with that remaining $91.5 million that it must be used for a project that benefits the inner city's population. That stems from a legal settlement based on complaints from inner city minority groups who made the case that the Federal government spends a disproportionate amount of money on highways and not enough money on public transportation improvements, since many urban minorities do not own cars and must rely on public transit to get around. That is another obstacle to using the $91 million for the KRM, because as proposed, the KRM doesn't serve the inner city. Hence Mayor Barrett's suggestion last year to extend the proposed KRM from Downtown further into the city, but not all the way out into the northern or western suburbs.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM   #311
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

More growth in the valley
1895 buildings to become office park beside river
By TOM DAYKIN

Posted: Jan. 22, 2007

A group of 19th-century industrial buildings in Milwaukee's Menomonee Valley would be redeveloped over the next five years into an office park, under a proposal announced Monday.

The five buildings, constructed in 1895 for Milwaukee Gas Light Co., now house smaller tenants, including a truck terminal, limousine service and 4 Seasons Skate Park. The buildings, one block south of W. St. Paul Ave. between N. 16th and N. 25th streets, include the red brick octagonal tower that can be seen from I-94.

The owners, real estate investors Frank and Dominic Giuffre, plan to convert the historic buildings on the site's western portion into 128,000 square feet of office space, according to conceptual plans approved by the Plan Commission.

Their company, Mallory Properties, is talking to prospective tenants, including an unidentified suburban firm that would move around 125 jobs to the site, said Dana Albert, Mallory's executive vice president.

The conceptual plans also call for development of two new buildings, totaling 128,000 square feet, on the 25-acre site's eastern portion. Most of that space would be for light industrial use.

The development, called City Light, would have a campus environment, with open space. The site is bordered on the south by the Menomonee River, and a river walk would be built as part of the development.

Milwaukee Gas Light supplied gas for public street lamps from the turn of the century until 1949, when manufactured gas from coal was replaced by natural gas.

The Giuffres own around 2 million square feet of commercial space in southeastern Wisconsin, Florida, Utah and Ohio, Albert said. Their redevelopment projects include the conversion of the former Sunbeam-Oster Co. manufacturing facility, in Glendale, into offices for Manpower Inc. and other corporate tenants.

Mallory's proposal becomes the latest in a series of recent development plans for the Menomonee Valley, which runs from Miller Park to downtown, where the Menomonee River joins the Milwaukee River.

Last week, Mayor Tom Barrett announced that Taylor Dynamometer Inc. plans to move from New Berlin to a 43,350-square-foot plant that it will begin building this spring in the city-owned Menomonee Valley Industrial Center.

That 70-acre business park, in the valley's western end, includes Palermo Villa Inc.'s 135,000-square-foot frozen pizza plant. Valve maker Caleffi North America Inc., now in Franklin Business Park, and Badger Railing Inc., now at 1611 W. Canal St., will begin developing buildings of 35,000 and 21,600 square feet this spring at the industrial center.

Also, a 143,000-square-foot building is under construction at the former Milwaukee Stockyards site, 1201 W. Canal St. Direct mail marketing firm Proven Direct Inc., now in Menomonee Falls, will lease 56,000 square feet, with additional tenants being sought for the remaining space.
miltown no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM   #312
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Manpower HQ

I took a walk past the Manpower HQ on my lunch today and actually have to admit it fits in pretty well with the area. Given the location and surrounding buildings, the design is a good choice. I feel a little bit happier with the design.

That being said, I still can't get over why Manpower chose the design for their global HQ. While the design is good, it would fit more with a collection of small tenants rather than one international HQ.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM   #313
nic158

Does anyone know if there are any plans for that gas station on North and Prospect? It's been a dead lot for years now in a vibrant area.
nic158 no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #314
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

AirTran suing for Midwest shareholder list

From the Business Journal online today...http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/mil...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Quote:
AirTran reasserted Tuesday that its management believes Midwest's strategy leaves it vulnerable to competition from other carriers.

"While we believe it is unfortunate that AirTran has been forced to bring this matter to a court of law, we intend to pursue this matter expeditiously as it is imperative that the Midwest shareholders be given the right to review AirTran's offer and choose for themselves the best course of action for their company," the company said.
Okay, seriously, I read this(quickly) after browsing over the title...thanks for caring about Midwest's best interests, AirTran, you're great. Midwest obviously has no idea how to function as a successful, growing business. It's great to have fellow airlines looking our for you, isn't it?

If somehow this deal(who am I kidding, how do I get the impression that there is any kind of mutual agreement between both companies) happens, I think this is an indication of how AirTran/Midwest/whatever the new name may be will be operated.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #315
UWMilwaukeeJay

Im living in Milwaukee now again, after 1/2 a year away!

-the whole midwest/airtran thing has gotten real out of hand. Midwest just announced they are flying KC-to-Seattle non stop and the same day Airtran made a move flying nonstop trips: St Louis-Atlanta & San Diego-Atlanta.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #316
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay View Post
Im living in Milwaukee now again, after 1/2 a year away!

-the whole midwest/airtran thing has gotten real out of hand. Midwest just announced they are flying KC-to-Seattle non stop and the same day Airtran made a move flying nonstop trips: St Louis-Atlanta & San Diego-Atlanta.
Pardon for my moment of stupidity....but how has it "got out of hand"?? Are you actually claiming that AirTran's obsession of Midwest is going a tad bit bonkers?? Or are you trying to say that Milwaukeeans take Midwest waaaay too seriously and are too extreme to keep our hometown, your hometown once again, airline?

Also, concerning Midwest/AirTran today, Wisconsin's Sen. Herb Kohl took a stand, and I feel its for the people of Wisconsin and for Midwest Airlines. This was from the SBT today:

"If AirTran Holdings Inc. continues its attempted hostile takeover of Midwest Air Group Inc., U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl (D-Wis.) is promising a full federal review of the proposed acquisition.
Kohl's office released a letter today that he recently sent in response to a letter from Orlando, Fla.-based AirTran chief executive officer Joseph Leonard.
"AirTranís plans to acquire Midwest Airlines raise very serious concerns. As a former businessman and a weekly air traveler, I know it is no accident that Midwest Airlines provides a level of service and value which is revered in our state. This is a company that is run by people who live and work here, who have a connection to our communities and who have earned loyalty that will not be replicated in an acquisition of Midwest Airlines by AirTran," Kohl wrote to Leonard. "We are concerned that this merger could jeopardize the enormous consumer benefits realized by many thousands of travelers throughout Wisconsin, and compromise the frequency and efficiency of the service offered by Midwest Airlines at its Milwaukee hub and throughout the state."
Kohl is chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights.
"I and others on the panel are concerned about consolidation in the airline industry. Further consolidation could lead to higher prices, lower quality of service, and loss of competitive choices. Should AirTran pursue its offer to acquire Midwest Airlines, you can expect that the Antitrust Subcommittee will examine this proposed acquisition very carefully to ensure this transaction does not harm the interests of Wisconsin consumers or airline competition generally," Kohl wrote in his letter. "We will also engage in close oversight over the Justice Department and the Department of Transportation as they review this transaction. You can expect me to oppose any transaction that will risk substantial harm to the interests of Wisconsin consumers, airline competition in Wisconsin, or the Milwaukee economy."
AirTran recently increased its offer to acquire the Oak Creek-based parent company of Midwest Airlines for for $13.25 per share, or $345 million. The Midwest board of directors are expected to issue their official response to the increased offer by the end of the week."

So, if Kohl actually reads these forums, because ya never know, I'd just want to say thanks and you got my vote if/when you run again!!
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #317
exit_320

Senator Kohl:
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #318
Kyoto

I must say that my faith in politicians has been partially restored through this action
Kyoto no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #319
djcody

Kohl has always been one politician that i favored, and i will continue after that letter.
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #320
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoto View Post
I must say that my faith in politicians has been partially restored through this action
Kohl is just doing what the corporate interests of Wisconsin elected him to do, aka represent their interests. It's not as if this is really something that will greatly affect the majority of his constituents. How many people in Wisconsin can afford to take many trips on Midwest planes? It'd be nice if he actually starting working towards solving any actual socio-economic problems instead of just doing this photo-op holding baby type thing.

Closed Thread