daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #321
UWMilwaukeeJay
Registered User
 
UWMilwaukeeJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ruston, Louisiana
Posts: 1,414
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
Kohl is just doing what the corporate interests of Wisconsin elected him to do, aka represent their interests. It's not as if this is really something that will greatly affect the majority of his constituents. How many people in Wisconsin can afford to take many trips on Midwest planes? It'd be nice if he actually starting working towards solving any actual socio-economic problems instead of just doing this photo-op holding baby type thing.
Great point.
__________________
MY SHOTS OF my campus in Ruston, La NIGHTVISION
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...08post12080008
My favorite cities: Atlanta, St Louis, Milwaukee, Toronto, New Orleans.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #322
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
Kohl is just doing what the corporate interests of Wisconsin elected him to do, aka represent their interests. It's not as if this is really something that will greatly affect the majority of his constituents. How many people in Wisconsin can afford to take many trips on Midwest planes? It'd be nice if he actually starting working towards solving any actual socio-economic problems instead of just doing this photo-op holding baby type thing.
If I'm not mistaken, the people of Wisconsin elect their senators, not corporate interest groups. They may lobby, but I don't see Senator Kohl as a man to fall to lobby groups consistently. And for you to say that Wisconsinites can't afford to travel on Midwest Airlines is insulting and I do take offense to that. Midwest obviously wouldn't be the airline it is today without its loyal customers in the Milwaukee area from the beginning. People in Milwaukee wouldn't be sitting here in this forum and talking about it elsewhere if they didn't ride the airline, or couldn't afford the airline. Milwaukeeans generally in the past had the tendency to be a bit thrifty, I'll give you that, but to say they now can't afford it!? That's going a bit too far.

If Milwaukeeans were that damn cheap, they would have welcomed AirTran, and AirTran would have already taken over Midwest without a fight MONTHS ago.

Obviously you must spend most of your time living in KBH

Last edited by brewcityfan; January 24th, 2007 at 08:16 AM.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #323
exit_320
Registered User
 
exit_320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
Kohl is just doing what the corporate interests of Wisconsin elected him to do, aka represent their interests. It's not as if this is really something that will greatly affect the majority of his constituents. How many people in Wisconsin can afford to take many trips on Midwest planes? It'd be nice if he actually starting working towards solving any actual socio-economic problems instead of just doing this photo-op holding baby type thing.
You are aware that Senator Kohl is one of the richest, if not richest people in Wisconsin / US Senate? He is actually one politician who can do whatever the f he wants without concern for corporate interests because 1) he has more than enough money to run without turing to corporate donors and 2) he is incredibly popular and barely even needs to run a campaign at all.

Agreed that we should spend more towards socio-economic problems, but don't believe for a second Kohl is doing this as a "photo-op holding baby type thing" (again.. he doesn't even need to bother).

Senator Kohl knows how important midwest is to Milwaukee, from a brand loyal standpoint, to economic stand point if we lost yet another local business.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #324
UWMilwaukeeJay
Registered User
 
UWMilwaukeeJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ruston, Louisiana
Posts: 1,414
Likes (Received): 1

Milwaukee news:

'Man Laws' benched
BY TOM DAYKIN
Miller Brewing Co. sends 'Men of the Square Table' to the showers

Burt Reynolds, Jerome Bettis and other "Men of the Square Table"- whose "Man Laws" have recently been the main marketing muscle behind Miller Lite - are off the airwaves. They've been replaced with new TV commercials that focus on differences between Miller Lite and its main rivals.


http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=556397
__________________
MY SHOTS OF my campus in Ruston, La NIGHTVISION
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...08post12080008
My favorite cities: Atlanta, St Louis, Milwaukee, Toronto, New Orleans.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #325
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

Hopefully good news for downtown Milwaukee, and maybe that building we all loved a few pages back...

From the SBT:

Boerke foresees another office tower in Milwaukee

In its 2007 market outlook, The Boerke Company Inc., a Milwaukee-based commercial real estate brokerage, predicts that a new Class A office building will be announced later this year. "There are half a dozen sites that have developers with projects designed and ready to break ground, bu waiting for an anchor tenant or pre-leasing. It is anticipated that by year-end 2007, there will be an announcement of a new Class A building," Boerke stated.

The overall office space vacancy rate for the metro Milwaukee area is now about 16 percent, according to Boerke. Rental rates have been flat for several years.
“Overall, 2007 will see rental rates remain the same, except in some submarkets, such as Brookfield,” the Boerke report said. “The Brookfield market will be the first to recover with rental rates beginning to stabilize and potentially increase.”

The downtown class A office space vacancy rate is at about 15 percent, but most of that is concentrated in three of the nine downtown class A buildings, according to Boerke. Downtown is booming with residential and restaurant development, the report said. For industrial real estate, the region's vacancy rate increased in 2006 but will stay below 10 percent in 2007, according to Boerke. Several speculative developments are occurring in the southern part of the metro area.

"The growth in the metro area continues to be around the General Mitchell International Airport and to the south along Interstate 94. There are several new speculative projects being planned or under construction between the airport and the Milwaukee-Racine county line that will add over 1 million new square feet to the market," Boerke stated.

"Overall, the industrial market in Milwaukee and the surrounding areas will realize a slow but steady increase in activity, especially as the economic climate continues to improve," Boerke said. "Absorption of existing stock will likely continue, even as several new speculative buildings come online during the year."

The metro Milwaukee retail real estate market is becoming polarized, as some retail centers, such as Bayshore Town Center in Glendale, are making improvements and attracting national retailers that pay high rental rates. Other, retail centers are offering low rent but have rising vacancy rates as they struggle to compete with the new developments for tenants. Retail tenants will continue to gravitate toward the more successful, better-located developments, according to the Boerke report.

"Many speculative small strip centers were built in 2005 and 2006 and are still experiencing difficulty finding tenants," Boerke stated. "With new strip centers being built, metro Milwaukee will soon reach the point of saturation. Already vacancies persist for longer periods, and with the additional pressure of the new developments, it will take creativity, rent concessions and good leasing to remain at full occupancy."

The region's retail space vacancy rate is at 7.2 percent. Waukesha County has an 8.2-percent vacancy rate, and Milwaukee County has a 7.5 percent vacancy rate. Rental rates throughout the main retail corridors are expected to rise in the next year or two due to continued demand from national retailers for locations in the region. Rental rates are expected to start to decline in 2008 as the push by retailers into metro Milwaukee will subside, the Boerke report said.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #326
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn
Registered User
 
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MKE<----->KBH
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the people of Wisconsin elect their senators, not corporate interest groups. They may lobby, but I don't see Senator Kohl as a man to fall to lobby groups consistently. And for you to say that Wisconsinites can't afford to travel on Midwest Airlines is insulting and I do take offense to that. Midwest obviously wouldn't be the airline it is today without its loyal customers in the Milwaukee area from the beginning. People in Milwaukee wouldn't be sitting here in this forum and talking about it elsewhere if they didn't ride the airline, or couldn't afford the airline. Milwaukeeans generally in the past had the tendency to be a bit thrifty, I'll give you that, but to say they now can't afford it!? That's going a bit too far.

If Milwaukeeans were that damn cheap, they would have welcomed AirTran, and AirTran would have already taken over Midwest without a fight MONTHS ago.

Obviously you must spend most of your time living in KBH
1. MONEY elects senators in Wisconsin, just as it does in the rest of the US and much of the rest of the world. Without tv spots and radio commercials and travelling, and contacts in media, community, and CORPORATE groups, officials can't get elected. Thes things take money. To get this money, most have to sell themselves to coporate interests. While I'm aware that Kohl mostly pays for his campaigns himself, he still gets most of his political support (that support that allows him to run more or less unopposed) from the business community here in Milwaukee. As such, he (for the purpose of getting re-elected) has to spend his time supporting their interests which are not always the same as those of the people.

2. I don't see why it's offensive to say that most Wisconsinites can't afford to fly Midwest regularly. Most can't. According to the US census, the median household income for a family of 4 in Wisconsin is $71 000. According to Midwest Airlines' ebsite, a roundtrip flight to Tampa costs over $650. Per person. The cheapest Midwest tickets out there are still over $200. How many times a year can a family making $71 000 afford to fly for $2600 a trip? It doesn't have anything to do with being thrifty.

Don't get me wrong, I like Midwest and am glad that they have their headquaters here. They're a definate asset to the city. I just don't see why Kohl or any other government official should be involving themselves in this entire thing. Unless he proposes state support/ purchase of the company, he should leave capitalism to its own devices.

Now, can we get back on topic? Is there any big development going on around here? What's going on with Prospect Mall? What about that gas station someone asked about. The Vetter Denk project on 1st is coming along nicely. I was just down there a couple of days ago and the entire frame was pretty much built.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #327
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
1. MONEY elects senators in Wisconsin, just as it does in the rest of the US and much of the rest of the world. Without tv spots and radio commercials and travelling, and contacts in media, community, and CORPORATE groups, officials can't get elected. Thes things take money. To get this money, most have to sell themselves to coporate interests. While I'm aware that Kohl mostly pays for his campaigns himself, he still gets most of his political support (that support that allows him to run more or less unopposed) from the business community here in Milwaukee. As such, he (for the purpose of getting re-elected) has to spend his time supporting their interests which are not always the same as those of the people.

2. I don't see why it's offensive to say that most Wisconsinites can't afford to fly Midwest regularly. Most can't. According to the US census, the median household income for a family of 4 in Wisconsin is $71 000. According to Midwest Airlines' ebsite, a roundtrip flight to Tampa costs over $650. Per person. The cheapest Midwest tickets out there are still over $200. How many times a year can a family making $71 000 afford to fly for $2600 a trip? It doesn't have anything to do with being thrifty.

Don't get me wrong, I like Midwest and am glad that they have their headquaters here. They're a definate asset to the city. I just don't see why Kohl or any other government official should be involving themselves in this entire thing. Unless he proposes state support/ purchase of the company, he should leave capitalism to its own devices.

Now, can we get back on topic? Is there any big development going on around here? What's going on with Prospect Mall? What about that gas station someone asked about. The Vetter Denk project on 1st is coming along nicely. I was just down there a couple of days ago and the entire frame was pretty much built.
I'd love to get back on topic, but I'd like to just ask you, what did you do to get a figure of $2600/trip??? I decided to go on Midwest's website, just to check it out.

I did a trip from Milwaukee to Tampa roundtrip with 4 passengers for Feb. 1-8, on the assumption of a family vacation. The bill came to 1478.76, including taxes, with one stop in KC on the way there.

I also did a trip from Milwaukee to Tampa roundtrip for a family of 4, from March 3-13, also thinking that they're on a family vacation. The bill came to 1090.76, including taxes. That also included a one-stop in KC on the way there.

I'm not out for a debate, I'd just like to figure out where $2600 came in the picture - because yes that does sound a bit much, and quite insane for that matter, for 4 seats on a plane!

For Kohl to get involved only shows that he, as a Milwaukee citizen himself, realizes the worthiness of Midwest and I feel he'd also like to keep Midwest here in Milwaukee, for both the businesses here and the citizens that live here.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #328
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn
Registered User
 
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MKE<----->KBH
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 5

I just looked up the cost of a flight for four people to Tampa in April. There must be a family discount or something that I didn't notice. Sorry about that.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #329
shane453
Registered User
 
shane453's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,229
Likes (Received): 4

15% Class A Vacancy downtown and a new tower is going to be announced? That's pretty lucky... Is there a reason that 3 of the class A buildings are more vacant than the others? Or is there just a lack of big chunks of contiguous office space?
shane453 no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #330
djcody
Registered User
 
djcody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 312
Likes (Received): 0

Whats the average vacancy rate that would allow for a class A tower to be built? Are we below that or above it?
__________________
GB Superbowl XLV World Champions!!
djcody no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #331
neuhickman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
I just looked up the cost of a flight for four people to Tampa in April. There must be a family discount or something that I didn't notice. Sorry about that.
You probably looked at the week of Spring Break. I have never seen a price over $350 round trip on Midwest...and I have flown on Midwest to San Francisco, Atlanta, and Los Angeles numerous times. Most of our trips have been less than $500 for 2 people. I don't have any special discount. I'm just lucky to live near a city where Midwest has service.
 
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #332
Oshkosh49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 476
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
15% Class A Vacancy downtown and a new tower is going to be announced? That's pretty lucky... Is there a reason that 3 of the class A buildings are more vacant than the others? Or is there just a lack of big chunks of contiguous office space?
That's pretty lucky? I'm a idiot when it comes vacancy rates trends and all that stuff, is 15% an acceptable number to start a speculative project? What is the vacancy rate for Class A office space in Oklahoma City? You make it sound like the 15% is fairly good. Is it in OKC?

Last edited by Oshkosh49; January 25th, 2007 at 03:08 AM.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #333
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered
 
ClarkWGriswald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 294
Likes (Received): 0

I don't know jack about vacancy rates either, however the feeling for me is that the vacancy rate is too high to warrant another building right now. Now that is only my perception.

However, if the powers that be believe that's low enough to propose a new tower, then hey, let's hop to it!
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #334
djcody
Registered User
 
djcody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 312
Likes (Received): 0

NEW TOWERS ANNOUNCED!!




just kidding...
__________________
GB Superbowl XLV World Champions!!
djcody no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #335
Markitect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453
15% Class A Vacancy downtown and a new tower is going to be announced? That's pretty lucky... Is there a reason that 3 of the class A buildings are more vacant than the others? Or is there just a lack of big chunks of contiguous office space?
From the Boerke Company's 2007 Market Analysis and Forecast:

CBD

The downtown market continues to see prosperity in
residential condominium development, as well as, retail
growth, primarily with coffee houses and restaurants.The
public sector continues its thrust to increase the
desirability of downtown with the Riverwalk along the
Milwaukee River and streetscape improvements on both
East and West Wisconsin Avenue.

There are half a dozen sites that have developers with
projects designed and ready to break ground, but waiting for
an anchor tenant or pre-leasing. It is anticipated that by yearend
2007, there will be an announcement of a new Class A
building. As in the past, new buildings are developed due to
the lack of large (over 150,000 square feet) contiguous space
availability.
Meanwhile, the vacancy in the Class A market in
downtown still struggles at 15.0 percent; although, this is
polarized with most of the vacancy concentrated in three of
the nine downtown Class A buildings.



Most, if not all, of the proposals waiting to land a tenant/pre-lelasing are mixed-use...not just all office.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #336
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.
 
MilwaukeeMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,171
Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcody View Post



just kidding...
WOOHOO! Those towers look amazing! Haha... I WISH!

Very nice photoshopping, btw.
__________________
flickr
purchase prints
MilwaukeeMark no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #337
Skyking2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 499
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Wisconsin has two of the best Senators in the country. I just wish Feingold would run for president. He'd get my vote.

And that would be about the only one.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #338
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 662
Likes (Received): 3

I'd vote for him. So would most of my family.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #339
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.
 
MilwaukeeMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,171
Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
I'd vote for him. So would most of my family.
I second that. My entire family and every one of my friends, save one or two uneducated religious zealot types, would most certainly vote for him.
__________________
flickr
purchase prints
MilwaukeeMark no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #340
brewcityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,664
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
That's pretty lucky? I'm a idiot when it comes vacancy rates trends and all that stuff, is 15% an acceptable number to start a speculative project? What is the vacancy rate for Class A office space in Oklahoma City? You make it sound like the 15% is fairly good. Is it in OKC?
Well if anybody would know about OKC it would have to be SRG, so maybe asking him would be a better idea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcody View Post



just kidding...
Yeah I wish this would be the case! I think we'd all be mostly satisfied with those buildings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
From the Boerke Company's 2007 Market Analysis and Forecast:

CBD

The downtown market continues to see prosperity in
residential condominium development, as well as, retail
growth, primarily with coffee houses and restaurants.The
public sector continues its thrust to increase the
desirability of downtown with the Riverwalk along the
Milwaukee River and streetscape improvements on both
East and West Wisconsin Avenue.

There are half a dozen sites that have developers with
projects designed and ready to break ground, but waiting for
an anchor tenant or pre-leasing. It is anticipated that by yearend
2007, there will be an announcement of a new Class A
building. As in the past, new buildings are developed due to
the lack of large (over 150,000 square feet) contiguous space
availability.
Meanwhile, the vacancy in the Class A market in
downtown still struggles at 15.0 percent; although, this is
polarized with most of the vacancy concentrated in three of
the nine downtown Class A buildings.



Most, if not all, of the proposals waiting to land a tenant/pre-lelasing are mixed-use...not just all office.
So is all office a bad idea, or a good idea? I always thought mixed-use buildings were a lot better and the process from proposal to construction was quicker....I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
I'd vote for him. So would most of my family.
Amen to that!!
brewcityfan no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium