daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 25th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #341
UWMilwaukeeJay

Likes (Received): 1

Hey one of those buildings is the 1180 Peachtree, in Atlanta! Sweet...that building is amazing..it reminds me of some of the proposals LPT had out.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #342
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan
So is all office a bad idea, or a good idea? I always thought mixed-use buildings were a lot better and the process from proposal to construction was quicker....I could be wrong, though.
It really comes down to the individual situations for each proposal.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #343
harisadoo

very informative and useful .
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #344
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4275

Can you keep the politics out of here, please?
mbradleyc no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #345
sirwilliam

Thank you, Eriol!
sirwilliam no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #346
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

I didn't think there was any serious political talk in here, other than the Kohl assistance to Midwest....this forum has seen a lot worse in political discussion than those few posts. Look at posts around election day last year and you'd see what I'm talking about.

If a politician is doing something with business and development I hope we do at least mention it - that's what this forum's about, to talk about everything in business and development.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #347
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
I didn't think there was any serious political talk in here, other than the Kohl assistance to Midwest....this forum has seen a lot worse in political discussion than those few posts. Look at posts around election day last year and you'd see what I'm talking about.

If a politician is doing something with business and development I hope we do at least mention it - that's what this forum's about, to talk about everything in business and development.
agreed.. the future of midwest could have implications on businesses locating here / future development.. its not like we are debating gay marriage or abortion here.. just politics involved with development and business.

during the next mayoral election should we not mention it at all just because it's political? of course not, because the election will have a direct impact on the future of the city
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #348
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

Projects in the News

Agency follows businesses in move to area

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency's Milwaukee district office will move to West Milwaukee, bringing another new building to a former industrial site that's being redeveloped.

The 51,000-square-foot, $7 million development will house about 45 agency employees, said Timothy Freitag, West Milwaukee village administrator. It will be developed by Boulder Venture Inc. and General Capital Group LLP at the former Hotpoint appliance factory site, west of Miller Park Way and north of Lincoln Ave.

(Article touches on the point that the agency will be moving from their Water Street location)

Full Story and Map: JSonline.com

Former south side foundry to be redeveloped

A Milwaukee remodeling firm plans to redevelop a former foundry on the city's south side, a $7 million project that will provide expansion space for the firm.

Paul Davis Restoration plans to redevelop the former Aelco Foundries Inc. property, 1930 S. 4th St. That 3.3-acre parcel, which is near the Kinnickinnic River east of I-94, is just north of the Paul Davis offices, 2000 S. 4th St.

Paul Davis plans to demolish two of Aelco's former buildings later this year and replace them with a 40,000-square-foot building, said David Misky of the Department of City Development. Construction of the new building will begin in 2008.

Full Story: JSonline.com

Last edited by EastSider; January 25th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
EastSider no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #349
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Side Question

Did The Edge tweak their design?
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #350
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
Did The Edge tweak their design?
It would appear that way. I remember the original renderings having it as one building, not two.
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #351
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

In More Project News:

Developer plans two airport hotels
"Two new hotels are on the drawing board for 13th Street near General Mitchell Airport, in Oak Creek.

Wisco Hotel Group, of Fond du Lac, today announced plans for the 120-room Fairfield Inn & Suites, and a 100-room Candlewood Suites.

Construction of the two hotels is scheduled to begin this fall, with completion in the spring of 2008.

Wisco currently owns and operates a Comfort Suites Hotel near the airport."

I always thought the airport area needed a little more revitalizing....it looks so crummy, IMO, on Howell and that whole immeadiate area. Hopefully the SE College/Howell redevelopment and these other hotels adds a bit more glamour, or w/e you wanna call it, to the airport area.
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #352
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
It would appear that way. I remember the original renderings having it as one building, not two.
I've seen the renderings of the two buildings before, but something seems different now. I thought both buildings used to look the same, now they seem a little different. I might be on crack.
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #353
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSider
I've seen the renderings of the two buildings before, but something seems different now. I thought both buildings used to look the same, now they seem a little different. I might be on crack.
The color of the building materials has changed since, but other than that, the outward appearance hasn't really changed all that much. And even this most recent incarnation you've posted has been out for almost a year.

The early designs for the project had one large building instead of two...but that was a couple years ago before anything was finalized, before a name was assigned to it. And that design was never posted here.

Last edited by Markitect; January 25th, 2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #354
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
That's pretty lucky? I'm a idiot when it comes vacancy rates trends and all that stuff, is 15% an acceptable number to start a speculative project? What is the vacancy rate for Class A office space in Oklahoma City? You make it sound like the 15% is fairly good. Is it in OKC?
I meant that 15% vacancy seemed a little high for office construction. Oklahoma City class A vacancy is also about 15-point-something% in the CBD.

I agree about mixed use- I can't imagine building a speculative all-office tower just hoping it would fill with tenants and you'd get your investment back. It would just make sense to throw in some condos to help you get a more immediate return.
shane453 no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #355
sirwilliam

Politics

I know that I don't post here much, but I do enjoy reading all the insights. I don't think, however, that this is the place to be firing off political preferences (and slander for people who don't think the same way about a certain Wisconsin Senator). I am all for a debate about why political leaders support/oppose certain projects, but I just don't think that this is the place to debate other political issues. Just my thoughts.
sirwilliam no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #356
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-københavn View Post
2. I don't see why it's offensive to say that most Wisconsinites can't afford to fly Midwest regularly. Most can't. According to the US census, the median household income for a family of 4 in Wisconsin is $71 000. According to Midwest Airlines' ebsite, a roundtrip flight to Tampa costs over $650. Per person. The cheapest Midwest tickets out there are still over $200. How many times a year can a family making $71 000 afford to fly for $2600 a trip? It doesn't have anything to do with being thrifty.
I feel lately like I've just been bickering with bad statements... but here's another one:

My sister lives in Sarasota (She's from milwaukee) she and her husband and two kids come back to MKE about 6 times a year... almost always for under $1000 and always on midwest. Their income is less then $35000 as he is in the coast guard and she's a stay at home mom.

People can afford midwest...
Coldwake no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #357
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwilliam
I know that I don't post here much, but I do enjoy reading all the insights. I don't think, however, that this is the place to be firing off political preferences (and slander for people who don't think the same way about a certain Wisconsin Senator). I am all for a debate about why political leaders support/oppose certain projects, but I just don't think that this is the place to debate other political issues. Just my thoughts.
Precisely!

That kind of stuff just tends to turn into a big mess of bickering, attacks, and trolling that aren't needed here...and can also lead to suspensions/bannings. It also pushes actual relevant messages further back and discourages people from posting new information.

So for those who want to talk about who should run for President or or Congress or Governor or why they are/aren't going to vote for somebody...please just do the polite and courteous thing and not hijack a Development News thread to push your personal political agendas. It would be preferable if you simply start a new thread for that sort of thing.

That's the way it's traditionally been done here.
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #358
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453
I agree about mixed use- I can't imagine building a speculative all-office tower just hoping it would fill with tenants and you'd get your investment back. It would just make sense to throw in some condos to help you get a more immediate return.
That's why developers don't build any office buildings (mixed-use or single-use) here without first having at least some tenants signed on.

More and more they are leaning toward mixed-use proposals....like offices mixed with residential condos, or hotel/office/condo. Some have been successful at getting built (like Cathedral Place), which there are others still waiting to land some office anchors (like Lake Pointe Tower, like Ovation Plaza--one of the versions anyway).

But still there has been some recent all-office buildings, multi-tenant (like 875 East) and single-tenant (Manpower) that have been built.
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #359
milwaukee-københavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Precisely!

That kind of stuff just tends to turn into a big mess of bickering, attacks, and trolling that aren't needed here...and can also lead to suspensions/bannings. It also pushes actual relevant messages further back and discourages people from posting new information.

So for those who want to talk about who should run for President or or Congress or Governor or why they are/aren't going to vote for somebody...please just do the polite and courteous thing and not hijack a Development News thread to push your personal political agendas. It would be preferable if you simply start a new thread for that sort of thing.

That's the way it's traditionally been done here.
Sorry about that... It wasn't my intention to start a big discussion or hijack a thread, I was just venting some frustration over Kohl. I think we should start a Midwest Airlines thread if people really want to continue to discuss it. Personally I'd rather just get back to urban development issues.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #360
Markitect

A separate Midwest Airlines thread would be fantastic, since it's a topic that's sort of taken on a life of its own, and isn't really directly related to urban development.

Closed Thread