daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 26th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #381
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 4277

They are still looking to build and are working on fundraising.

http://www.americasfreedomcenter.org/365.asp

That picture shows the original plan for the lakefront, but it was nixed because of resistance. So they are going to the Veterans Center by Miller park.
mbradleyc no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #382
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
If I recall correctly, I think the major difference between the Ovation Tower and this new MLG Development (Block 12) is that the MLG one will be a mixed use project, whereas the Ovation Tower was originally suppose to be strictly a Class A office building. That may be a key reason why Ovation hasn't left the gate yet after all this time.
No, mixed-use was considered for the Ovation Plaza proposal from the start (office/condo/retail/parking). And it still is a mixed office/retail/parking in the more recent version posted a couple weeks back, which itself is still in the planning stages.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #383
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
No, mixed-use was considered for the Ovation Plaza proposal from the start (office/condo/retail/parking). And it still is a mixed office/retail/parking in the more recent version posted a couple weeks back, which itself is still in the planning stages.
Thank you for the correction Markitect. I apperently didn't recall correctly.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #384
MilwaukeeBS
I left cold for roaches

Likes (Received): 4

Pastor's green ideas could renew Gothic Revival church
(Gould Article about making a church 'green')

The pattern is sadly familiar: Once-thriving congregations disperse to the suburbs, leaving behind landmark church buildings with a long list of needs and little money.

The Rev. Mark McDonough, pastor of Calvary Presbyterian Church, 935 W. Wisconsin Ave., knows the story all too well. His beautiful Gothic Revival church, built in 1870, had more than 800 members in its 1950s heyday; now there are only 80. But instead of wringing his hands over his diminished parish, McDonough, 51, offers a vision for its future that is both earth-friendly and transformative:

Rest of story http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=558230

By the way, off topic, did anyone see the cbs news van that drove into a lake? Pretty funny.
MilwaukeeBS no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #385
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

the cbs news van story was on cnn today when i was at the gym.. everyone just started laughing. feel bad for the driver
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #386
Paule

Likes (Received): 950

The driver drove the van into Lake Michigan?
Paule no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #387
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
The driver drove the van into Lake Michigan?
No. Big Muskego Lake.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #388
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

RTA calls for steep car rental tax hike

The Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Transit Authority called today for a $13-a-car increase in the car rental tax to pay for new commuter trains to link Milwaukee to its southern suburbs and to Racine and Kenosha.

Authority members settled on the car rental fee after running into political and practical obstacles to a three-county sales tax and to other proposed funding sources. Rental car companies are already rallying against the fee increase, but RTA lobbyist Brandon Scholz said opposition to other options would be stronger in the Legislature, which must decide whether to approve the boost.

RTA Chairman Karl Ostby said choosing the funding source is "a huge step" toward creating the KRM Commuter Link train line, which business leaders are pushing as a way to connect workers to jobs and to spur development.

Trains would run 14 round trips each weekday to stations in downtown Milwaukee, the Bay View neighborhood, Cudahy, South Milwaukee, Oak Creek, Caledonia, Racine, the Town of Somers and Kenosha. Passengers could change trains at Kenosha or Waukegan, Ill., for Chicago's Metra trains.

Under the latest estimates, the line would cost $198 million to build and $10.9 million a year to operate. Supporters believe federal and state aid and fares would cover most of the cost, leaving the RTA to raise $4.2 million a year for operating costs and debt service.

The RTA already levies a $2-a-car rental tax in Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha counties to pay for its own operations. If the Legislature agrees with today's recommendation, that would rise to $15.

That flat-dollar fee would be added to state and local taxes that already add up to as much as 22.6%, the Wisconsin Car Rental Alliance noted in a letter opposing the tax. But the current car rental tax is still in the middle range of similar taxes nationwide, RTA spokesman H. Carl Mueller said.

The rental car tax would pay only for the proposed KRM Commuter Link trains. But the authority vowed to keep working on a way to wean local bus systems off the property tax.

Milwaukee County supervisors and Milwaukee aldermen have voiced fears that the authority would ignore the funding woes of the Milwaukee County Transit System while focusing on the rail line. A Milwaukee Common Council committee has endorsed a resolution declaring the council's opposition to any local funding source that pays for trains but not buses.
miltown no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #389
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 223

Yeah well if the Milwaukee Common Council gets its way, the whole idea of any commuter rail might as well be shot to hell, the aldermen in the city are a bunch of conservative minds with their thinking, and too old school to be running this city. Buses are great, but this metro area is getting too big for JUST busing purposes.

Another great opportunity to lure more Chicagoans to Milwaukee could be/is about to be downed once more.....

Has anyone read this JS forum about this subject?? Downright depressing if you ask me...
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #390
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan
Yeah well if the Milwaukee Common Council gets its way, the whole idea of any commuter rail might as well be shot to hell, the aldermen in the city are a bunch of conservative minds with their thinking, and too old school to be running this city. Buses are great, but this metro area is getting too big for JUST busing purposes.
The Common Council is not favoring anything related to "JUST busing purposes." It is in favor of a dedicated local source that provides funding to multiple transit modes (commuter rail PLUS buses).
Markitect no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:27 AM   #391
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Has anyone read this JS forum about this subject?? Downright depressing if you ask me...
I read about 4 posts and then had to stop.. reading posts like that is what makes me consider moving to Chicago sometimes.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:54 AM   #392
MilwaukeeBS
I left cold for roaches

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
I read about 4 posts and then had to stop.. reading posts like that is what makes me consider moving to Chicago sometimes.
Does anyone have the link to this?

Oh and when I was looking for it I found this - http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=557721
I belive everyone is entitled to their oppinion but the facts on this don't even come close to checking out. Be informed, oh and wonderful that its written by a Trucker/West Allis resident, he definatally has a grasp of who light rail would serve.
MilwaukeeBS no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:28 AM   #393
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeBS View Post
Does anyone have the link to this?

Oh and when I was looking for it I found this - http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=557721
I belive everyone is entitled to their oppinion but the facts on this don't even come close to checking out. Be informed, oh and wonderful that its written by a Trucker/West Allis resident, he definatally has a grasp of who light rail would serve.
^ that is a terrible article, rail cuckoos huh?

give people time, in 10-20 maybe thirty years they will be singing a different tune when the highways are gridlocked because of further growth/sprawl inbetween milwaukee and madison and between milwaukee and chicago.
mohammed wong no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:52 AM   #394
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
The Common Council is not favoring anything related to "JUST busing purposes." It is in favor of a dedicated local source that provides funding to multiple transit modes (commuter rail PLUS buses).
How much money would the car rental tax raise? Could it also help pay for MCTS improvements? I think that while it may be a good start, Milwaukee residents should bear part of the ultimate responsibility of paying for their own transit system along with vistors. What about a wheel tax for starters?

Oh yeah, and that trucker column really irritated me. You'd think that the JS would have enough sense to hire columnists who actually have some sort of knowledge of what they write about.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:53 AM   #395
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

Oh, and mabye we should use the Milwaukee rail thread for this kinda stuff. That way we could keep from cluttering this one up.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:53 AM   #396
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post

Another great opportunity to lure more Chicagoans to Milwaukee could be/is about to be downed once more.....

No, no, no! This choo choo train from Milwaukee to Kenosha is a very bad idea. On the surface, it seems like a really cool, neato thing to bring development, connect Milwaukee to Chicago, blah, blah, blah.
Wake up folks! This "Trolly Folly" doesn't add up. More taxes to build and maintain some track that will benefit a very small number of businesses and workers? The most ironic thing is that this line would not even go directly to Chicago - you'd have to transfer trains in Kenosha!!! Now, that's convenient.
The Metra wants nothing to do with this plan. They have all/most of the likely riders already who commute to Chicago and suburbs. Any communities west of I-94 will not realize any significant (if any at all) benefits from this track. Yet, people in the affected counties will be asked to pay for this thing. Just like ethanol, this sucker smells of special interest politics!
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:54 AM   #397
brewcityfan

Quote:
For Pete's sake there's always an excuse for pretty much everything in this metro area! There was no complaints before this light rail idea came forward about the bus system, other than fare hikes. As of right now the light rail needs more support than the already existing bus system, which has been going on for more than 70 years I believe.

And to Skyking, good points were made, but how do you expect the light rail to even catch on if it doesn't even have a starting point?? This whole project was designed to eventually expand, it would make sense for it to do so! And as far as Chicago's metra is concerned, Mayor Daley has for a long time been wanting to further connect the two cities by some means.

Oh, and I do think further talk should also be in the Milwaukee rail thread too
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:06 PM   #398
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

edit.
moved to rail thread
mohammed wong no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:12 PM   #399
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

KRM

It's my understanding that near many of the proposed stations there is significant amounts of developable land, therefore combined with the right package you could definitely get dense development built up along the line.

Further when we talk about wasted dollars how about building parking garages at $30,000 a spot!
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:52 PM   #400
brewcityfan

From the JS:
Quote:
WEDNESDAY, Jan. 31, 2007, 11:04 a.m.
By Tom Daykin

Developers buy Third Street Pier site
Developers of a planned mixed use project in the Park East corridor have agreed to purchase additional nearby properties, including the building that once housed the Third Street Pier restaurant.

Robert Ruvin and David Florsheim are working to replace Third Street Pier, which closed in October, with a national restaurant chain. Ruvin declined to name the potential tenant because the lease hasn't been signed yet.

The six-story building, at 1110 N. Old World 3rd St., has around 100,000 square feet, with an 80% occupancy rate. The building has offices on the upper floors and street-level retail space, including a portion leased to Lucille's Rockin' Pianos, a tavern.

Ruvin and Florsheim also are acquiring the building's parking lots, which are east of N. Old World 3rd St., on either side of W. Juneau Ave.

Ruvin said the parking lots, which overlook the Milwaukee River, are potential future development sites.

Ruvin and Florsheim are partnering with Dallas-based Gatehouse Capital Corp. to build a 180-room Kimpton Hotel, condominiums, offices and retail space on a block bordered by N. Old World 3rd and N. 4th streets, and W. Juneau and W. McKinley avenues.

Last edited by brewcityfan; January 31st, 2007 at 08:10 PM.

Closed Thread