daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 31st, 2007, 10:25 PM   #401
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
It's my understanding that near many of the proposed stations there is significant amounts of developable land, therefore combined with the right package you could definitely get dense development built up along the line.

Further when we talk about wasted dollars how about building parking garages at $30,000 a spot!
What sort of development will occur around these little train stops? If you ride the Metra - as I have on many occasions from Kenosha to Chicago - there is no meaningful development around the Winthrop Harbor stop, which is representative of the sort of stop you'd see in Somers and Oak Creek. Why would someone who's driving to that location (or being dropped off) to catch a train hang around, or get there early, just to have a cup of coffee or buy a candy bar?
As for the other proposed stops along the way, there is already development in those areas, and, I repeat my assertion as above: these are commuters, not shoppers and sight-see-ers who are going to hang around and buy stuff. And, it is so much faster to either drive to Chicago or take Amtrak...or catch the Metra in Kenosha!
I say, if the developers who have their hands so deep into the pockets of politicians and "civic leaders" want this so bad, let the immediate cities, and businesses likely to benefit from a rail line, ante up and foot the bill for this.
This is just so ludicrous! I mean, really, can you see someone who lives in Milwaukee and works in Racine or Kenosha, actually going out of his/her way to go to the train stop and play the waiting game for a 20- or 30-mile commute?
And, what do they do once they get there (or Waukegan, or even Chicago)? Walk, take a cab, a bus (or the subway in Chicago) to get to their office?!!
None of this makes sense, and an expanded Metra-type line throughout the greater Milwaukee Area would only cost us more in taxes for something far too few people will use. In reality, there are two routes that would actually make some sense from a potential user standpoint: Waukesha to Downtown, and Port Washington to Dowtown. But I stress that any such plan be funded through a user fee - NOT MY INCOME!
Let's face it, Milwaukee has grown up essentially independent of rail transportation. To assume that's going to change is naive, and pretty much like ramming a square peg through a round hole. It just doesn't work.
Skyking2 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:15 PM   #402
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

post deleted

Last edited by mohammed wong; February 1st, 2007 at 04:05 AM.
mohammed wong no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:39 PM   #403
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday
It's my understanding that near many of the proposed stations there is significant amounts of developable land, therefore combined with the right package you could definitely get dense development built up along the line.
The transit oriented development reports are available here.

There's a lot of potential for development, immediately adjacent to the rail line, as well as further away.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM   #404
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Can we please keep the KRM stuff on this thread below?? I hate looking at 2 threads for info that can be altogether in one!

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=436421
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:15 AM   #405
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
What sort of development will occur around these little train stops?
Roughly 6-billion dollars in development along light rail lines has occurred in Portland since 1978.

EDIT - Sorry, wasn't sure if Skyking2 was reading/posting there. I'll keep it in there from now on.

Last edited by DooMer_MP3; February 1st, 2007 at 12:26 AM.
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:06 AM   #406
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
Roughly 6-billion dollars in development along light rail lines has occurred in Portland since 1978.

EDIT - Sorry, wasn't sure if Skyking2 was reading/posting there. I'll keep it in there from now on.
I appreciate that figure, but it really doesn't mean anything since we're comparing two completely different areas.

Last post here...from now on, the new thread. Thanks.
Skyking2 no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:00 AM   #407
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

History Channel to tape relocation of building that housed one of Milwaukee's first breweries
Posted: Jan. 30, 2007
The historic Gipfel Brewery is getting ready for its close-up. Strapped onto dollies, the 154-year-old brewery building at 423-427 W. Juneau Ave. is being prepared for its eventual relocation a block east, as part of Ruvin Development's plans for a $160 million development that will include condos, a hotel, retail and office space, and restoration of the Sydney Hih building at Juneau and N. Old World 3rd St. The mid-February moving of the city's oldest brewery building will be filmed by The History Channel.

Rob Ruvin, the developer, said the bottom few feet of the Gipfel building and an addition to the rear had to be sacrificed because both were in such disrepair. "But we've stabilized it," he said. "It's not going to crumble." In its new home, at the west end of the Sydney Hih complex, the restored Gipfel will likely house street-level retail with offices above, Ruvin said.

The design of the hotel and condos is evolving, with the addition of a large, Dallas-based firm, HKS Architects Inc. Milwaukee's Johnsen Schmaling Architects, whose design helped Ruvin win a county competition for the site, will now concentrate on the condo interiors.

couldnt find the picture that was in the paper on the journal's website
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:53 AM   #408
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

When the date of the move becomes known, it should be posted here. If timing allows, that's almost something I'd be willing to go witness myself if it's not too cold. Mid-February, is that shorts-weather yet???
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:57 AM   #409
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswald View Post
When the date of the move becomes known, it should be posted here. If timing allows, that's almost something I'd be willing to go witness myself if it's not too cold. Mid-February, is that shorts-weather yet???
I only wish....
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:05 AM   #410
atrain5371

Likes (Received): 323

I've always said the cut off for shorts weather is 50. If it's been cold I could see 45 because relative warmth seems to help.
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:17 PM   #411
Paule

Likes (Received): 943

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswald View Post
And when the date and time the History channel is going to air the event becomes known it should be posted here as well because that's something I want to see too!
Paule no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM   #412
miltown
urban informant

New senior housing in the works for Bronzeville
Prince Hall Masons hope plans for donated site will revive area
By AMY GUCKEEN
Posted: Jan. 31, 2007
Bronzeville is about to get a gift.

The area surrounding Walnut St. on the near north side was once a bold and vibrant African-American community. Recently, efforts have been made to re-create some of the business and entertainment venues that existed before I-43 disrupted the neighborhood in the 1960s.

Now Extendicare Health Services Inc. has closed its Plymouth Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center at 619 W. Walnut St. and donated the site and 50 nursing home beds to a foundation run by the Prince Hall Masons of Wisconsin, an African-American non-profit fraternal association.

The Masons plan to demolish the center and build a housing center for seniors that will serve inner city residents.

The existing building is to be demolished this summer, and the new facility is to be completed by summer 2008 at a cost of $14 million to $20 million.

The new housing will provide more than just long-term care for elderly residents - it will help revive the Bronzeville area.

"People can start regaining that sense of pride and ownership that was felt in the days of Bronzeville," said Georgia Cameron of Cameron Management & Consulting. "This will allow people to age in place with quality service. They don't have to worry about being uprooted."

Cameron, a former director of public health services for the City of Milwaukee, is working with the project to ensure that the right steps are taken from a health care perspective.

A logical fit
Architectural plans for the new facility will be drawn from a housing charrette, or brainstorming session, to be held this month. Senior housing architects and experts in aging will engage in a weekend-long competition to create an innovative design concept. Milwaukee has not seen a nursing home built in the past 10 to 15 years, according to Steve Biondi, vice president of corporate compliance at Extendicare.

Extendicare worked with the state and county to come up with a solution that would put Plymouth Manor in the hands of a non-profit group interested in operating such a facility.

The Prince Hall Masons, which had been providing an annual picnic and barbecue for Plymouth Manor residents since 1994 and is across the street from Plymouth Manor, was a logical fit. The nursing home will be run independently, but members of the Masons will serve on the board of directors.

James E. Davis, most worshipful grand master of the Prince Hall Masons, said he will change the name of the facility to Prince Hall Campus from Plymouth Manor, which had a poor image within the African-American community.

With the project, the Prince Hall Masons intend to develop housing for seniors, including assisted-living services, along with safe, affordable and functional housing for other vulnerable people in the community, such as those with physical, behavioral and developmental disabilities.

The comforts of home
The facility, which will have a campus-like feel, also may offer rehabilitation services and educational programs.

The Prince Hall Masons have held discussions with community members to determine what area residents are looking for from the facility.

"They want the comforts of home," Davis said. "They want relationships with other people."

"They want to be an asset to their neighborhood," Cameron added. "They want it to be a place that they want to live and their family members want to visit."

Plymouth Manor closed its doors Jan. 19, displacing 63 residents and 150 employees, all of whom have found other work and other care options, Biondi said.

The process of relocating nursing home residents when a facility closes typically takes four to five months.

Extendicare had owned the center since it was built in 1971.

Extendicare Health Services, based in Milwaukee, is the U.S. corporate headquarters of Extendicare Inc. Based in Ontario, Extendicare provides nursing home care in the United States and Canada.

"We had good years, and then we had years when we had operational struggles," Biondi said. "Operationally and financially, it did not make sense for us to continue."
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM   #413
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

good news. I was driving around down there a few weeks ago, and the whole area has a good vibe to it. King Street Commons, the soche (a very trendy looking place) and now this. I really hope they can keep the ball rolling and make the whole development come to fruition. Milwaukee has somewhere around the 9th largest black population in the country, and its long overdue for a decent, safe and modern entertainment, residential and retial center.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:39 PM   #414
Milwaukee, WY
Front Range expatriate

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
good news. I was driving around down there a few weeks ago, and the whole area has a good vibe to it. King Street Commons, the soche (a very trendy looking place) and now this. I really hope they can keep the ball rolling and make the whole development come to fruition. Milwaukee has somewhere around the 9th largest black population in the country, and its long overdue for a decent, safe and modern entertainment, residential and retial center.
Well, it has been overdue at least since the last decent, safe, vibrant african-american entertainment, residential and retail center was bulldozed to make way for the freeway. But, perhaps that's adiscussion for another thread...
Milwaukee, WY no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:53 PM   #415
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post
Well, it has been overdue at least since the last decent, safe, vibrant african-american entertainment, residential and retail center was bulldozed to make way for the freeway. But, perhaps that's adiscussion for another thread...
I guess there won't be much to talk about in the Milwaukee thread if we make a new thread for every subject the city's in!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:43 AM   #416
miltown
urban informant

For any bucks fans out there ?????????? Michael Redd Left off of the all star team even though he's averaging 27 pts a game and will be healthy by the time the game is played!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NBA

Last edited by miltown; February 2nd, 2007 at 03:21 AM.
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:26 AM   #417
brewcityfan

Another reason why I call Milwaukee's Common Council old fashioned and panicky over everything, which some have questioned...

From the JS:
Quote:
THURSDAY, Feb. 1, 2007, 5:14 p.m.
By Greg J. Borowski

Waterpark concerns Milwaukee alderman
Citing concerns about Lake Michigan water, Milwaukee Ald. Michael Murphy is trying to throw some cold water on plans for a $50 million hotel and conference center with an indoor water park in New Berlin.

In a news release issued today, Murphy said the plans for the hotel are at odds with New Berlin's request to the city to buy water drawn from the lake. He also noted that New Berlin may need special approval to get lake water, since the community is located beyond the continental divide.

"If this water park is New Berlin's idea of water conservation, then I'm very worried about how they plan to use the rest of the water we'd be providing them," said Murphy, who said the project would "add to the sprawl that has gone unchecked in Waukesha County for years."

The proposed Kitten's Deer Creek Inn & Conference Center would be located at W. Greenfield Ave. and S. Moorland Road. The New Berlin Plan Commission is to review the proposal Monday.
Basically now, from what I'm reading there, this particular alderman is all upset about a waterpark in New Berlin because of Lake Michigan usage?! C'MON!!! I never thought I'd hear of every excuse, but this cuts the cake! Maybe this alderman should have told off Hilton when they decided to build an indoor waterpark inside their downtown hotel too!! And then to question Waukesha Country's growth (oops, I mean "sprawl"....) good grief now we wonder why this city is moving slower than other cities our size. Pathetic....
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:38 AM   #418
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

I'll go out on a limb here and state that if this waterpark development was being proposed within Ald. Murphy's district, he'd be all for it. Duh!
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:41 AM   #419
miltown
urban informant

he may be jealous that it isnt in his district but, the continental divide is a necesary thing, just like the last time we heard sumthiing about the divide, the state of michigan blocked sumthing in waukesha county if im not mistaken.
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:47 AM   #420
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
he may be jealous that it isnt in his district but, the continental divide is a necesary thing, just like the last time we heard sumthiing about the divide, the state of michigan blocked sumthing in waukesha county if im not mistaken.
Which is also ridiculous! Chicago and I believe Detroit get free access to Great Lakes water....and Milwaukee is right up there but their suburbs get denied! That subject, though, should probably have a seperate thread!

You know us Wisconsinites have too many topics for debate and so many subjects to talk about its insane at times!!

Closed Thread