daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 7th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #481
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 672

I think most of you are viewing this lakefront project in a totally wrong light. I doubt it will bring any more traffic to the lakefront because it is hardly a major undertaking. However, instead of having people who are going to bradford think to themselves "oh, this is kind of in disrepair" they will think "hey, this is kind of nice."

That is the case for me early last fall when I brought a friend up from New Orleans. We went to the lakefront and she said about bradford beach and northpoint snack bar (the parking lot) "Hey, this looks like it was once really nice." That wasn't the reaction I wanted to hear from her. Next time I bring someone from out of town to the lakefront I know that at least part of the area will look nice once again. My only hope is that the rest of the disrepair is also fixed (especially the lifeguard station thing!).
Coldwake no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #482
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Algae = biofuel.

Last edited by historybuffer; February 8th, 2007 at 06:13 AM.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #483
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

I wonder if you could use it for biofuel. If so, we're in for some money! I can imagine the slogans already: "Algae, the new oil", "Milwaukee, the new Dubai, algae city usa".
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #484
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

I think we should be proud that our very own Northwestern Mutual Life just hit the 1 TRILLION mark!! That's very impressive, I'm glad they're still in Milwaukee!!!

Here's what 1 trillion is, thanks to the JS:
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #485
UWMilwaukeeJay

Likes (Received): 1

Does the CEO/president live in milwaukee area? I would love to see that MANSION!
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #486
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Doyle unveils $80 million in initiatives to help Milwaukee. But will Legislature buy it?

MILWAUKEE INITIATIVE

Here are highlights of Gov. Jim Doyle's plan to help Milwaukee:
Schools: About $15 million would go toward improving math skills and graduation rates in MPS. Additional money for special education ($6.5 million), smaller class sizes ($6.4 million) and school breakfasts ($661,500), among other areas. Another $2 million would go to hiring 24 additional school nurses.
Taxes: The state would pick up the full cost of students enrolling in the school choice program under the higher cap, expected to save city residents $21 million in property taxes over two years. City would be designated a "premier resort area," allowing for creation of a local 0.5% sales tax on tourism-related items.
Crime: Would provide more money for law enforcement ($1.5 million), plus $1 million for summer youth job program and $1 million for Project New Hope, to create transitional jobs for former inmates.
Health: Would offer money to help women with at-risk pregnancies, school readiness for children and health care for people living with AIDS.
Transportation: Would set aside $1 million for engineering work on proposed Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee rail link, expand bonding authority for high-speed rail and increase state aid to the Milwaukee County Transit System by $3.6 million.
Higher education: Would invest $8 million in research initiatives at UWM, plus $200,000 to UW Board of Regents to study creating a School of Public Health at UWM.
Environment: Would put $17 million toward cleanup of Milwaukee River in Estabrook Park area and the Kinnickinnic River.

entire article http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=563382
i wonder if this money will ever be seen?????

Kohl's plans photo building
It would be at business park on northwest side

By TOM DAYKIN
Posted: Feb. 7, 2007
A large building for the Kohl's Corp.'s photography department would be developed at a business park on Milwaukee's northwest side, according to plans filed with the Department of City Development.

The building, with about 106,000 square feet, will be built at 11300 W. Heather Ave., in Towne Corporate Park-Granville, a business park south of W. Brown Deer Road and west of N. 107th St.

Plans for the building, which would house more than 70 full-time employees, will be reviewed at Monday's Plan Commission meeting.

The continued growth of Kohl's has led the company to expand beyond its Menomonee Falls headquarters, at Silver Spring Corporate Park. Kohl's has 2,800 employees at the Silver Spring complex.

The retailer recently purchased its former corporate headquarters, at N54-W13600 Woodale Drive, also in Menomonee Falls. Kohl's plans to move its credit division, with about 400 employees, to that building.

The Kohl's photo department produces photos for the company's weekly newspaper advertising circulars. The department also produces photos for in-store use, the company's Web site and its direct mail ads.

Most of the building would be used for photo studios, according to the proposal. Other features would include hair and makeup rooms for the models, a digital photo lab and a carpentry shop where the company builds sets for the photo shoots.

wow they chose milwaukee over meno falls!!!!!!!! Good to hear.

Brewers Hill project planned
45 apartments, 8 condos proposed

By TOM DAYKIN
Posted: Feb. 7, 2007
A Milwaukee developer wants to build a five-story apartment and condominium project near the Brewers Hill neighborhood, according to plans filed with the Department of City Development.

Sonny Bando wants to develop the 53-unit building, which would include street-level commercial space, on a site north of E. Brown St. and west of N. Holton St. The Plan Commission will review the proposal at its Monday meeting.

Bando's proposal calls for 45 apartments on the building's second, third and fourth floors and eight condos on the fifth floor. The apartments and condos would be a mix of one- and two-bedroom units.

Almost all of the condos have been sold in advance, Bando said Wednesday.

There's a strong demand for new, high-quality rental units in Brewers Hill, Bando said. Most of the neighborhood housing that's been developed in recent years has either been condos or single-family homes.

Bando hopes to break ground on the project by summer. It would take about 12 to 14 months.

A former funeral home at the site would be demolished to make way for the project. An investors group bought the property in 2004 for $400,000, city records show.
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #487
exit_320

Well this sucks...

THURSDAY, Feb. 8, 2007, 2:54 p.m.
By Tom Daykin

Baird renews US Bank Center lease to 2014
Investment firm Robert W. Baird & Co., one of Milwaukee's largest office users, will keep its headquarters in the U.S. Bank Center - depriving proposed downtown office towers of a prospective anchor tenant.

Baird announced today that it has extended its current lease at U.S. Bank Center, 777 E. Wisconsin Ave., through 2014. The extension provides Baird with around 264,000 square feet of space on 12 floors, with future options for additional space.

Baird is the largest tenant in the 1.1 million-square-foot U.S. Bank Center, Wisconsin's largest office building. The firm has more than 1,000 downtown employees.

Baird said it looked at numerous locations in the Milwaukee area over the past year.

Among the proposed downtown office towers believed to have been considered by Baird were Lake Point Tower, an office and condominium project that would be built on E. Michigan St., just south of the U.S. Bank Center.

Other proposed downtown office towers include Ovation Center, an office and condominium complex that would be built on the site of the Marcus Center parking structure at the northwest corner of N. Water and E. State streets.

Neither Lake Point Tower nor Ovation Center can attract financing without an office anchor tenant.
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #488
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 672

Coldwake no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #489
Green Bay 4 Life
Green Bay, WI

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Well this sucks...
I'm not sure that it sucks. It sucks that a new building won't find a tenant with Baird, but the largest tenant in Wisconsin's largest office building is staying put for the next 7 years - I think that shows the continued committment to downtown that will hopefully spur other perspective users to truly consider a downtown location in the future. The news could have been worse, they could have announced they were moving to the burbs.
Green Bay 4 Life no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #490
MilwaukeeBS
I left cold for roaches

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bay 4 Life View Post
I'm not sure that it sucks. It sucks that a new building won't find a tenant with Baird, but the largest tenant in Wisconsin's largest office building is staying put for the next 7 years - I think that shows the continued committment to downtown that will hopefully spur other perspective users to truly consider a downtown location in the future. The news could have been worse, they could have announced they were moving to the burbs.
Very good point, plus there is talk about expansion.

I wonder if NWM has a need to expand some more downtown with all this 1 trillion talk.
MilwaukeeBS no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #491
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeBS View Post
Very good point, plus there is talk about expansion.

I wonder if NWM has a need to expand some more downtown with all this 1 trillion talk.
Unfortunately NWM is spending $125,000,000 to expand at their Franklin Campus. So that doesn't seem too likely anytime soon.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #492
brewcityfan

But once their done with their Franklin expansion I'm sure they could take another look at downtown, granted that probably won't be for another 5-10 years....
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #493
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
But once their done with their Franklin expansion I'm sure they could take another look at downtown, granted that probably won't be for another 5-10 years....
Like I said, "doesn't seem too likely anytime soon". However, all is not lost. Cramer-Krasset is looking for larger offices, and Red Prairie might move downtown. I would love to see the NAI MLG project, the Ghazi hotel project, and the Lake Pointe Tower all become reality. All three of those are buildings that make a positive statement IMHO.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #494
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Men's Fitness Names the Fittest and Fattest Cities in America...

The Most Athletic City: Milwaukee
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #495
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Renderings on the Brewer's Hill project? Have they become public yet?
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #496
djcody

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, the most athletic city?! Um, how in the heck did that happen? I remember leaving the club last weekend thinking how many beer belly's i saw, hehe. But hey i'm sure there is some cool way that they figured this out.
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #497
brewcityfan

From the SBT: LPT is not going down without trying its hardest!!

Quote:
The announcement is a blow to Milwaukee-based JBK Properties Inc.'s plans to build Lake Pointe Tower, a proposed 42-story mixed use building at the current site of a parking garage just southeast of the U.S. Bank Center. JBK needs to obtain an anchor tenant to get that project going and was trying to convince Baird to move to the proposed new tower.

"We know they were under a tight deadline and they had to decide if they were going to stay or go," said Carl Mueller, a spokesman for JBK. "Of course we would have loved to have them in the new building."

Despite the decision by Baird, Mueller said the Lake Pointe Tower project is still "very much alive" and there are other potential anchor tenants that could commit to moving to the building, which would allow construction to begin. He declined to name those tenants.

"The project is very much alive," Mueller said. "I think this will have a potential impact on the timing, but other than that this is still a very attractive location. We fully expect the planning and process to move forward."

Baird said its executives conducted a "very thorough review of a wide variety of options" for its headquarters location.
Meanwhile further down in the article...

Quote:
Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said he is glad the company is staying downtown.

"I'm extremely pleased that Baird has committed to staying in downtown Milwaukee for years to come," he said.

"Downtown Milwaukee has proven to be a great place for Baird to do business, and we like to think we've helped make downtown a more vibrant place to work and live," Purcell said. "We're pleased to be an integral part of the city's future."
So my SSC friends, do not look down just yet concerning LPT!
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #498
UWMilwaukeeJay

$15 million development will start in June
A proposed $15 million condominium and retail building overlooking the Milwaukee River is proceeding, with plans to break ground on the project by June, the project's developer said today.

Riverboat Landing, with 67 condos and 8,200 square feet of commercial space, will be built on N. Commerce St., just down river from the N. Humboldt Ave. bridge. The project will receive Plan Commission review Monday, and developer Jim Metz said he plans to begin marketing the condos within three weeks.

Plans for the development were announced in July, after Metz bought two small industrial buildings, at 2056 and 2070 N. Commerce St., that he'll demolish to make way for Riverboat Landing. Most of the condos will have two bedrooms, and those units will be priced around $290,000, Metz said.

Several condo and retail buildings have been built along Commerce St. in recent years.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #499
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay View Post
Does the CEO/president live in milwaukee area? I would love to see that MANSION!
River Hills, and I've actually seen the inside of his house.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #500
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Updated UTC Photos: Taken 2007-02-09

Closed Thread