daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #521
UWMilwaukeeJay

Likes (Received): 1

SIDENOTE: Im so upset at the bucks game tonight. I went to the game and they put on a great preformance for nearly 3 qrts vs. the best team in the league. Then they blow a 18 point lead and lose by 6. How does this happen? I was suprised at the amount of people that showed up for the game considering the odds of us winning and the weather cond'ts outside. Ugh, thank God there is a bar right when you exit the bradley center, because it was sure needed.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #522
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 221

Don't be too shocked at the Bucks' loss. We've been having quite a lovely season....I hope next season is a lot better!

Also, in more Park East news.... http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=565660

Good grief!! Can the city just be a little more agreeable when it comes to big projects??
brewcityfan no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #523
gbpakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
gbpakman - I think a ton of Milwaukee posters are going to shake their heads at the thought of NOT having enough land downtown.....
I agree, but from a business standpoint they got great tax incentive in Franklin, and the biggest thing was there wasn't appealing land near the Northwestern Mutual campus on Wisconsin or Mason. Also there is the issue of wet soil, which would've cost a ton to build a huge skyscraper on. Trust me, they looked hard into it, but financially and practically Franklin was the best option.

It fun to dream of a huge 70 story skyscraper in downtown though.
gbpakman no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #524
exit_320

Soccer group claims option for stadium site

Milwaukee Professional Soccer LLC, the group still trying to bring a Major League Soccer (MLS) team to Milwaukee, has secured an option to acquire a 15-acre site for a 20,000-seat soccer stadium, the group's chief executive officer said. "It's in the city of Milwaukee," said Peter Wilt, chief executive officer of Milwaukee Professional Soccer. "That's all I can tell you."

The stadium development would include mixed-use residential and commercial development around the stadium. The size of that development would depend on how much additional land could be acquired, Wilt said.

However, the group still has not found a lead investor for the team, Wilt said. If a lead investor does not step forward to join the group during the next few months, the effort to bring a MLS team to Milwaukee will die, he said. "I think if we don't find the lead investor in the next few months, it is a project that will end," Wilt said. "We've accomplished a number of our goals and put together a number of pieces to the puzzle. But we are still missing the biggest piece, and that is a lead investor."

The minority owners of Milwaukee Professional Soccer include sports attorney Martin Greenberg, businessman Rick Bergman and Dr. James Mazzulla and Dr. Ashok Kumar. Wilt launched the Chicago Fire, an MLS expansion team in 1998, and is trying to do the same in Milwaukee.

If the Milwaukee soccer group finds a lead investor, there is a good chance that person will live outside of the United States, Wilt said. Ever since the Los Angeles Galaxy in January announced that it had signed David Beckham, perhaps the best known soccer player in the world, foreign investors are expressing more interest in owning MLS teams, including a potential team in Milwaukee, he said.

"The David Beckham signing by MLS has spurred some interest from (investors in) England," Wilt said. "The David Beckham signing legitimized MLS to the world. We are pursuing (lead investor) candidates on both sides of the ocean. We are pursuing more candidates outside of the state than those with Milwaukee ties."

The window of opportunity for Milwaukee to get an MLS team will close soon, Wilt said. Milwaukee is one of several cities with groups trying to get an MLS team. The league has 12 teams and will add a 13th, Toronto, this year. San Jose and St. Louis appear likely to get expansion teams, Wilt said. That means the MLS will probably only add one more team in the foreseeable future, he said. In addition, the option that the Milwaukee group has on the 15-acre stadium site will expire, Wilt said.

If everything comes together, the Milwaukee group hopes to have an MLS team for the 2009 season, Wilt said
exit_320 no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #525
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

West side development to get $1.2 million loan
Grand Avenue Lofts, an apartment and retail development planned for the 2700 block of W. Wisconsin Ave., will get a $1.2 million loan from the Milwaukee Economic Development Corp., a business lending agency affiliated with the City of Milwaukee. The group approved the loan application Tuesday for the $12.4 million project, proposed by Minneapolis-based Sherman Associates Inc.

Vacant lots soon could be filled
Vulcan Lead may consolidate operations in Walker's Point

By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]
Posted: Feb. 13, 2007
A Milwaukee manufacturer is considering a plan to consolidate its operations at a new building that would be constructed in the Walker's Point neighborhood, according to a Department of City Development report released Tuesday.

Vulcan Lead Inc. might move to a 44,800-square-foot building that would be developed by Sunlite Building Corp., which is operated by Thomas and Andrew Kranick.

The $3.2 million building would be constructed on two city-owned vacant lots, at 1320 W. National Ave. and 1333 W. Pierce St., and on neighboring property owned by Sunlite. The building and most of its parking lot would face Pierce St., with another, smaller parking lot facing National Ave.

The city Redevelopment Authority on Thursday will consider granting a purchase option to Sunlite, which would lease the building to Vulcan. The city-owned lots, totaling 52,000 square feet, have a purchase price of $90,000.

Vulcan, which makes lead shielding products for medical equipment manufacturers and other industrial customers, now has operations at 1400 W. Pierce St. and 3105 W. Mill Road.

Vulcan has not decided whether it will move its operations to the proposed building, said Dan Henkhaus, chief financial officer. He declined further comment.

The development site at 1333 W. Pierce St. housed a building used for industrial painting and stripping from 1916 to 1985, according to the Department of City Development.

In the early 1980s, the building was used as an illegal hazardous waste disposal site, leading the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to conduct an emergency cleanup. The building was demolished in 1995, and the Redevelopment Authority has received a $200,000 EPA grant to help pay for additional cleanup work on the site.
miltown no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #526
downtownVital.org
You can call me Dan

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknee View Post
I've been thinking a lot about incorporating high end shopping into the downtown area. I've done a lot of traveling and in all of my favorite cities, there's a street lined with high end shops. Fifth Ave (New York), Newberry St (Boston), Michigan Ave (Chicago), Champs-Elysees (Paris), even State St (Madison.) Every great city has it's most important shopping destinations downtown...
Are the demographics for Milwaukee right to supprt the types of stores you're talking about? The cities you're referrig to have quite different populations from Milwaukee, and with Chicago so near by that would potentially draw away some high-end shoppers. I'm not saying it couldn't work, I just don know if the demos are right or not. Do cities like Cleveland has such districts (and even then Cleveland isn't an easy day trip from a major world city)?

http://www.downtownvital.org
downtownVital.org no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #527
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
Milwaukee Professional Soccer LLC, the group still trying to bring a Major League Soccer (MLS) team to Milwaukee, has secured an option to acquire a 15-acre site for a 20,000-seat soccer stadium, the group's chief executive officer said. "It's in the city of Milwaukee," said Peter Wilt, chief executive officer of Milwaukee Professional Soccer. "That's all I can tell you."

The stadium development would include mixed-use residential and commercial development around the stadium. The size of that development would depend on how much additional land could be acquired, Wilt said.

However, the group still has not found a lead investor for the team, Wilt said. If a lead investor does not step forward to join the group during the next few months, the effort to bring a MLS team to Milwaukee will die, he said. "I think if we don't find the lead investor in the next few months, it is a project that will end," Wilt said. "We've accomplished a number of our goals and put together a number of pieces to the puzzle. But we are still missing the biggest piece, and that is a lead investor."

The minority owners of Milwaukee Professional Soccer include sports attorney Martin Greenberg, businessman Rick Bergman and Dr. James Mazzulla and Dr. Ashok Kumar. Wilt launched the Chicago Fire, an MLS expansion team in 1998, and is trying to do the same in Milwaukee.

If the Milwaukee soccer group finds a lead investor, there is a good chance that person will live outside of the United States, Wilt said. Ever since the Los Angeles Galaxy in January announced that it had signed David Beckham, perhaps the best known soccer player in the world, foreign investors are expressing more interest in owning MLS teams, including a potential team in Milwaukee, he said.

"The David Beckham signing by MLS has spurred some interest from (investors in) England," Wilt said. "The David Beckham signing legitimized MLS to the world. We are pursuing (lead investor) candidates on both sides of the ocean. We are pursuing more candidates outside of the state than those with Milwaukee ties."

The window of opportunity for Milwaukee to get an MLS team will close soon, Wilt said. Milwaukee is one of several cities with groups trying to get an MLS team. The league has 12 teams and will add a 13th, Toronto, this year. San Jose and St. Louis appear likely to get expansion teams, Wilt said. That means the MLS will probably only add one more team in the foreseeable future, he said. In addition, the option that the Milwaukee group has on the 15-acre stadium site will expire, Wilt said.

If everything comes together, the Milwaukee group hopes to have an MLS team for the 2009 season, Wilt said
Does anyone have ideas where this 15 acre site might be??
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #528
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I don't even think it matters. From the looks of it this proposal is D.E.A.D.
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #529
FutureChicaukeean
mmm...Cheese

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
How about the huge vacant plot of land just southwest of the Plainfield curve?

But to be honest...who really wants a MLS team here?

Not enough upper-middle/upper class sports fans and lets face it this is about $$$

It is becoming obvious that Milwaukee goes:

1. Packers
2. Badgers (Basketball and Football)
FutureChicaukeean no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #530
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureChicaukeean View Post
How about the huge vacant plot of land just southwest of the Plainfield curve?

But to be honest...who really wants a MLS team here?

Not enough upper-middle/upper class sports fans and lets face it this is about $$$

It is becoming obvious that Milwaukee goes:

1. Packers
2. Badgers (Basketball and Football)
don't forget

3. Golden Eagles Basketball
4. Panthers Basketball (when they're doing good)
5. Bucks
6. Brewers (when they're doing good)
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #531
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan
I suspect the old Reed Street Yard area in Walker's Point, which is immediately south of the Harley Davidson Museum and across the canal.
Markitect no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #532
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
I suspect the old Reed Street Yard area in Walker's Point, which is immediately south of the Harley Davidson Museum and across the canal.
That sounds like a very nice spot. The unfortunate thing is - I don't think 20,000 people are going to be going to a MLS game in Milwaukee. I would have rather seen a bigger Bucks arena than a new MLS stadium
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #533
FutureChicaukeean
mmm...Cheese

Quote:
don't forget

3. Golden Eagles Basketball
4. Panthers Basketball (when they're doing good)
5. Bucks
6. Brewers (when they're doing good)
Yes, obviously those are big too but my point was that the Packers have always been the dominant sports team but now the ratings show that the Badgers growing success over the past decade has obviously put them in second with the teams you listed being a distant third/fourth/etc... A BRAND NEW MLS team would be 7th on that list. Then years later they turn into the Mustangs and fall into the abyss.

I would like to see Milwaukee get an NFL team because that would setup a great 3-way rivalry between GB, Mil and Chi. Can you imagine that setup in Milwaukee?

BTW I am not being serious, just speculating...the Packers are WISCONSINS team (and America's to a degree) and they will ALWAYS be.
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #534
FutureChicaukeean
mmm...Cheese

Quote:
That sounds like a very nice spot. The unfortunate thing is - I don't think 20,000 people are going to be going to a MLS game in Milwaukee. I would have rather seen a bigger Bucks arena than a new MLS stadium
Yes that is a much better location for a stadium.

I think more like 3k to 10k on a good day until the appeal of a NEW team wears off.

Our city really comes to life in the summer time but there is always a constant.

We go to Brewers games so we can tailgate (drink and eat). We go to the festives all summer long so we can....drink and eat. We have built up miles of a street downtown that loops into the eastside specifcally so we can drink and eat (Water to Brady Street).

We are very simple people. Football, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Food, Drink.

I am not forgeting about those who prefer theater and art over sports, we have alot of that too but I don't suppose that crowd will be trading symphony tickets for a MLS evening.

Brewcity fan has it right. We need to secure the future of our Bucks before we go targeting investors/tax $$$'s to attract a damn soccer team.
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #535
CG5
prickly

Future Chicaukeean...I like your name. Clever. Now we'll have a cute name for the CSA.
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #536
FutureChicaukeean
mmm...Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post
Future Chicaukeean...I like your name. Clever. Now we'll have a cute name for the CSA.
Well you know I work as a travelling salesmen from Milwaukee to Northern Chicago. Because of Chicago's proximity to Milwaukee I have this great job (I am employeed out of Chicago and get Chicago pay...$$$). Because of Milwaukee's proximity to Chicago my company has a market of an additional 1.8 Million people just north of the border.

For anyone who has travelled between the two cities on 32/31/41 you realize that I-94 is a bypass around a true Mega City on Lake Michigan with only a FEW miles of farm land (Between Oak Creek and Racine's Urban Area and Between Kenosha's Urban Area to Northern Illinois).

Now as far as that CSA thing goes...here is what I have discovered.

The people from Racine/Kenosha do not identify themselves with Milwaukee or Chicago. They are from Racine...or from Kenosha. They are independent cities with their own feel and their own thing going on.

The same can be said for those from Waukegan. When I meet people from Waukegan they say they are from Waukegan even if they live in the surrounding area. Not Chicago...Waukegan.

Along that 90 Mile stretch along lake Michigan WE have:

Milwaukee - 580,000 plus the urbanized area
Racine- 80,000+
Kenosha - 90,000+ along with the Racine/Kenosha urbanized area
Waukegan - 90,000+
Chicago - 2,800,000+ along with that little urbanized area

If you extend it just around the lakes bend you have:

Gary - 90,000+ and the urbanized area

This is why our strech of Lake Michigan is one of the most populated places not only in america, but on earth!

Throw in Madison which is booming, Beloit, Janesville and Rockford which all share the same Metro Area. You have a very promising and exciting place to live, work and play all within a 2-3 hour drive.

But it would be even better if there was a high-speed rail connection. That would really open up the relationships of the 4 areas.
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #537
CG5
prickly

It would be pretty impressive if Metra opened the fabled Milwaukee extension...you'd have a continuous system from downtown Mil. all the way to the airport in South Bend. That's a few hundred miles. Which earns a "dayum."
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #538
brewcityfan

Well for any Metra/KRM news that seems to be getting more depressing by the day there's the Milwaukee Transit thread on the main page....SE WI needs to get their act together and start working on a good plan.
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #539
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

MLS

The MLS group already has agreements for 8000+ season tickets (I'm in the + part), Milwaukee has a growing Latin community, at least a couple of games a year they would bring Fire fans up from Chicago (they came for the Fire vs A league team a few years back), and I believe a very good location. It can definitely be successful and would only add to Milwaukee's many summer activities.
Twoaday no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #540
downtownVital.org
You can call me Dan

Likes (Received): 4

I'd be good for a few games a year. I'd love for Miwaukee to get an MLS team.

What Fu-Chi was saying abuot food and drink made me think that they need to make those games full-out parties. I mean, have the 20,000 seats all on the sides, and make the ends into tiered deck areas where people can set up and essentially tail-gate right in the the stadium, put BBQ areas right out so they are more integrated into the in-seat atmosphere, put beer taps at every seat and meter how much people drink (okay, that last one might be a bit difficult even if profitable, can you imagine, swipe you credit card and pour a beer without even leaving your seat!). It's true that food and beer sell in Wisconsin, so they need to play to that. One side of the seats can be the boring family section, the opposite side is the fun, bbq party section, and the ends are the tail-gate partys.

http://www.downtownvital.org
downtownVital.org no está en línea  

Closed Thread